Print Thread
Hop To
#17972549 01/03/23
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Took my heavy gun up to Jon Beanland of Beanland Custom Rifles to have an M24 contour Osprey Barrel Works barrel blank chambered and fitted in .22 GT. Jon does absolutely 1st class work and having used several ‘smiths over the years, I’m convinced there is no one that does better.

The .22 GT is simply the 6mm GT necked down to .224. It has the same case capacity as the 22-250 but in a much better designed case. The case has much less taper than the 22-250 so works much better in a DBM magazine and cases stretch much less during the firing/resizing process. COAL is short enough that reaching the lands is easy in a 2.8” or longer box.

Anyway, Jon had good things to say about the Osprey barrel. Said it was super straight, so much so that there was no need to index the curve, because there just wasn’t any. Also said the groove depth was very uniform. He thought the barrel was a bit harder than most, judging by how many plunges he made with the reemer. He cut the chamber with an Alpha Munitions reemer, and the chamber was a thing of beauty. I had him finish the barrel at 20” for suppressor use.

Loaded a few round of ammo just to try and find max. Used virgin Alpha brass, CCI 450s, H4350, and 88gr ELD-Ms. Loaded five rounds at 33.6gr to zero, and one round each of 34, 34.4, 34.8, 35.2, 35.6, and 36 to try and find max pressure. No case prep on the virgin brass, just deburring and chamfering. Used an RCBS Matchmaster 6mm GT seating die. Runout at the ogive went anywhere from .001” to .006”. I’m not satisfied with anything more than .002” runout, but with virgin brass, it’s not uncommon. I’m confident I’ll get much straighter ammo after I’ve fireformed the brass.

I’m using Magpul AICS patterned magazines and I ran five rounds through to check feeding. Feeding was flawless, which is not attainable with the 22-250 with more than five rounds, due to its case taper.

The thing that initially impressed me the most was how close the first round out of the barrel hit to the zero from the previous barrel (Bartlein 6.5 Creedmoor). Without even a boresight, the first round hit on the left edge of the bullseye, only 1/2 mil from the previous zero. I made an adjustment and shot the next four of the 33.6gr charge. They went into about .6” with 3 of the four being in the .2s. Made another adjustment and shot the last six in the pressure series. Four consecutive charges out of the remaining six went into about a .4” group. 34gr was a little out of the group, as was 36gr, but 34.4, 34.8, 35.2, and 35.6gr all went into about .4”. Based on how well 34.4 - 35.6gr grouped, I was pretty sure I could pick from 34.8 to 35.2gr and run with it. Saw no excess pressure signs from any of the charges. Bolt lift was good, no ejector marks, and primers were nice and round.

I measured some of the fired brass. When checking runout at the neck, I struggled to see any needle movement on the fired brass, indicating a very concentric chamber. Using a headspace comparator, the brass grew less than .001” on firing. I was able to slide bullets into the necks of the fired brass with my fingers but there was some resistance, indicating it’s a fairly tight necked chamber. I ran a couple of the fired brass through the Matchmaster sizing die with a .249” bushing and bumped the shoulders about .0005”. Runout at the neck on the sized cases was well under .001”.

Finally, I loaded five more rounds from 36.4 to 38gr to continue finding my max charge. The next range session I shot those, observing slight ejector marks with 37.6 and 38gr. Alpha Munitions OCD brass is seriously hard stuff and if I’m seeing ejector marks with it, I’m well past sane pressure limits, so decided to my first load development attempts in ernest would be around 36gr, hoping to find accuracy with 88gr ELD-Ms at 3000fps or more from the 20" Osprey barrel. Alas, it was not to be. This barrel decidedly did not like any charges of H4350 greater than 36gr, grouping a bit over 1" with for 10 shots. I remembered back to when I was finding max, that four consecutive charges from 34 to 35.6gr all went into the same ragged hole so decided to try 35gr. Bingo! 35gr grouped 10 shots into .443" center to center. You can see ”flyers” at 6 o’clock and 8 o’clock in the group. By the time I was six shots in, mirage off the suppressor was significant. Had it not been for that I think I could have done even better. Eight of the ten shots are probably in the high .2s. Didn't chrono it but based on come ups at 900, velocity is about 2900. I had hoped for more speed, but I don't think 100fps is going to make or break a shot. Recoil is so light that spotting your impacts is a given and it is just a super fun rifle to shoot. Overall, very pleased so far.

John

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Stiller Predator action, Osprey Barrel Works M24 contour 7” twist, finished at 20”, MPA Hybrid chassis, Trigger Tech Diamond, Bushnell DMR II Pro, Stealth Project Recon suppressor.

1st shot at left edge of Shoot-N-C only .5 mil from zero with previous barrel with no scope adjustment.

Ten shots with 35gr H4350, Hornady 88gr ELD-M, CCI450, Alpha Munitions OCD brass.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That appears to be a shooter:) No surprise Jon does know how to build a good one for sure, congrats on the new rifle!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man, that’s a cool cartridge as well. I think that’d be a ton of fun!

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's awesome.

scenarshooter has been stacking up coyotes with his and I'm nearly certain he's using that bullet too.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sweet rifle!

That's my favorite bipod, but I run spikes.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Shot these five at 800 yards yesterday. Black dot is about softball size for reference.

Shot this sow with same load this evening at about 175 yards. Muddy spot is POI. 88gr ELD did the trick. DRT. Sow is longer than the rifle and weighs every bit as much as I do.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Your 22GT looks totally awesome. Incredibly efficient cartridge! I really need to give those 88s a try in my 22CM.

How do you like that suppressor?

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Only suppressor I’ve owned, but I like it enough that I don’t want to shoot without it. Very impressed with 88gr ELDs so far. You could get another 150fps out of the CM.

John

Last edited by Hondo64d; 01/09/23.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Took my heavy gun up to Jon Beanland of Beanland Custom Rifles to have an M24 contour Osprey Barrel Works barrel blank chambered and fitted in .22 GT. Jon does absolutely 1st class work and having used several ‘smiths over the years, I’m convinced there is no one that does better.

The .22 GT is simply the 6mm GT necked down to .224. It has the same case capacity as the 22-250 but in a much better designed case. The case has much less taper than the 22-250 so works much better in a DBM magazine and cases stretch much less during the firing/resizing process. COAL is short enough that reaching the lands is easy in a 2.8” or longer box.

Anyway, Jon had good things to say about the Osprey barrel. Said it was super straight, so much so that there was no need to index the curve, because there just wasn’t any. Also said the groove depth was very uniform. He thought the barrel was a bit harder than most, judging by how many plunges he made with the reemer. He cut the chamber with an Alpha Munitions reemer, and the chamber was a thing of beauty. I had him finish the barrel at 20” for suppressor use.

Loaded a few round of ammo just to try and find max. Used virgin Alpha brass, CCI 450s, H4350, and 88gr ELD-Ms. Loaded five rounds at 33.6gr to zero, and one round each of 34, 34.4, 34.8, 35.2, 35.6, and 36 to try and find max pressure. No case prep on the virgin brass, just deburring and chamfering. Used an RCBS Matchmaster 6mm GT seating die. Runout at the ogive went anywhere from .001” to .006”. I’m not satisfied with anything more than .002” runout, but with virgin brass, it’s not uncommon. I’m confident I’ll get much straighter ammo after I’ve fireformed the brass.

I’m using Magpul AICS patterned magazines and I ran five rounds through to check feeding. Feeding was flawless, which is not attainable with the 22-250 with more than five rounds, due to its case taper.

The thing that initially impressed me the most was how close the first round out of the barrel hit to the zero from the previous barrel (Bartlein 6.5 Creedmoor). Without even a boresight, the first round hit on the left edge of the bullseye, only 1/2 mil from the previous zero. I made an adjustment and shot the next four of the 33.6gr charge. They went into about .6” with 3 of the four being in the .2s. Made another adjustment and shot the last six in the pressure series. Four consecutive charges out of the remaining six went into about a .4” group. 34gr was a little out of the group, as was 36gr, but 34.4, 34.8, 35.2, and 35.6gr all went into about .4”. Based on how well 34.4 - 35.6gr grouped, I was pretty sure I could pick from 34.8 to 35.2gr and run with it. Saw no excess pressure signs from any of the charges. Bolt lift was good, no ejector marks, and primers were nice and round.

I measured some of the fired brass. When checking runout at the neck, I struggled to see any needle movement on the fired brass, indicating a very concentric chamber. Using a headspace comparator, the brass grew less than .001” on firing. I was able to slide bullets into the necks of the fired brass with my fingers but there was some resistance, indicating it’s a fairly tight necked chamber. I ran a couple of the fired brass through the Matchmaster sizing die with a .249” bushing and bumped the shoulders about .0005”. Runout at the neck on the sized cases was well under .001”.

Finally, I loaded five more rounds from 36.4 to 38gr to continue finding my max charge. The next range session I shot those, observing slight ejector marks with 37.6 and 38gr. Alpha Munitions OCD brass is seriously hard stuff and if I’m seeing ejector marks with it, I’m well past sane pressure limits, so decided to my first load development attempts in ernest would be around 36gr, hoping to find accuracy with 88gr ELD-Ms at 3000fps or more from the 20" Osprey barrel. Alas, it was not to be. This barrel decidedly did not like any charges of H4350 greater than 36gr, grouping a bit over 1" with for 10 shots. I remembered back to when I was finding max, that four consecutive charges from 34 to 35.6gr all went into the same ragged hole so decided to try 35gr. Bingo! 35gr grouped 10 shots into .443" center to center. You can see ”flyers” at 6 o’clock and 8 o’clock in the group. By the time I was six shots in, mirage off the suppressor was significant. Had it not been for that I think I could have done even better. Eight of the ten shots are probably in the high .2s. Didn't chrono it but based on come ups at 900, velocity is about 2900. I had hoped for more speed, but I don't think 100fps is going to make or break a shot. Recoil is so light that spotting your impacts is a given and it is just a super fun rifle to shoot. Overall, very pleased so far.

John

Stiller Predator action, Osprey Barrel Works M24 contour 7” twist, finished at 20”, MPA Hybrid chassis, Trigger Tech Diamond, Bushnell DMR II Pro, Stealth Project Recon suppressor.

1st shot at left edge of Shoot-N-C only .5 mil from zero with previous barrel with no scope adjustment.

Ten shots with 35gr H4350, Hornady 88gr ELD-M, CCI450, Alpha Munitions OCD brass.

Congrats to the smith, it looks like a shooter.

Back in the day (1999) the .22s with heavies was doing work for those in the know.

Welcome aboard.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice to see it’s performing well.

I’m building one to go along with my 22-250 AI, see which I prefer. I’m really excited about the GT, hope to get decent barrel life out of it. Have you tried any 75’s thru it? I’ve been pretty much all aboard the 88 train the last two years in my Ackley except for fire forming but I’m curious to see how 75’s do in the GT.

Ben

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I’ll have to look and see if I have some 75s. I know I have some 80gr AMaxes and some 80gr VLDs, both of which I intend to try…

John

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Another falls victim to the .22GT. 88gr ELD-M at 3080fps. No exit wound but DRT. About 300 yards. Couldn’t get an exact range due to tall blowing wheat and terraces, but took best guess for multiple readings and used 1.0 mils for 330 yards. Where he was hit was about all that was visible on him due to the wheat and terraces.

John

Last edited by Hondo64d; 04/13/23.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice, that sounds like a wicked combo buddy! Great shot.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Cool, but now you have to scrub your binocs with gasoline to get the stink off.... grin

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Another falls victim to the .22GT. 88gr ELD-M at 3080fps. No exit wound but DRT. About 300 yards. Couldn’t get an exact range due to tall blowing wheat and terraces, but took best guess for multiple readings and used 1.0 mils for 330 yards. Where he was hit was about all that was visible on him due to the wheat and terraces.

John

Nice write up, appreciate the details. So you we're able to chrony a round and it's at 3080 with the 35g or is this a newer and hotter load? I'm not getting much over that from a 24" 22 Creedmoor but I've only tried h4831sc so far. Nice build.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 04/19/23.
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

John

Nice write up, appreciate the details. So you we're able to chrony a round and it's at 3080 with the 35g or is this a newer and hotter load? I'm not getting much over that from a 24" 22 Creedmoor but I've only tried h4831sc so far. Nice build.

Bb

Newer barrel and load. This barrel is a Bartlein 5R with a .218” bore, cut at 20” like the last.. Load is 36.6gr H4350. Use at your own risk. Warm load.

John

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It will speed up once you get more rounds on it. As did my 22x47 and my .22 Creedmoor Improved.

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Had Jon Beanland spin up a .22GT barrel for my hunting rig. As per usual, the chamber is perfect.

And, as expected, it shoots. These are rounds 30-35. Four of the five went into .127.” The “flyer” opened the group to .452.”

Took the same load my match gun likes, zeroed, and the next morning killed a small whitetail buck at 420 yards. 1st pic is inside view, entrance side. The next is inside view exit side and last is outside view exit side.

John

Last edited by Hondo64d; 12/02/23.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H

John

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 16penny, 54 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,530
Posts18,472,693
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.