Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
When they were both scoped, they’d shoot 5 shots into a half inch at 50 yards, one with cci sv and the other with Remington match. I haven’t shot them a lot but they were as accurate as anything else I have kicking around. The triggers are both around 2.5#. Any lower I had to be overly gentle closing the bolt. The scope bolt handle clearance is the only downer on these imo. I wish the scope would mount lower. They aren’t very common up in Canada and if I see them at a good price/condition, I grab them. No body with the exception of Anschutz is making rimfires that compare to these anymore. For any price.

Great info. Thanks!! Those sure are beautiful rifles.

Are the rifles with sights more rare? It seems like when I search these online, I mainly see the smooth barrel/no sight rifles. I thought about selling the rear aperture on my rifle, but It has to be original: Probably sold that way from the factory, because it does not have a rear sight otherwise:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I think you are being "penny wise and pound foolish" stripping those sights off that rifle.

I bought my first Miroku made Win 52c replica in 1992. Back then they were Browning marked guns. I owned two of those in the 1990s. I have also owned two the the Winchester marked USRAC market m52b rifle like yours. None of those guns had sights and I never saw a period catalog showing rifles with factory irons on the Jap made 52 rifles.
Counting the other six orgional Winchester m52 rifles have owned,(mostly target models) I have a bit of experience with them. Below is a my current 1945 made m52b Sporting alongside a few of my other cherished rifles

The previous owner of your rifle spent at least $150 in parts and gunsmithing to have that Lyman 57 and the front ramp sight set fitted to that gun in order to make it more like the orgional m52b sporters which shipped standard with Lyman 57/48 sights and front ramp sporting sights.

As much as you enjoy shooting irons on your other rimfires, I would think you would have s bit more appreciation for what you inherited with that gun. A lyman 17AHB globe would be the only thing keeping it from shooting as well with irons as your other rifles. If you leave the Lyman 57 base attatched to the reciever the sight slide comes off by pishing a button. Pair that with some QD Weaver ,:Pic or Talley etc rings, and the rifle can be outfitted with sights for whatever purpose in seconds.

Last edited by jk16; 01/04/24.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jk16
When they were both scoped, they’d shoot 5 shots into a half inch at 50 yards, one with cci sv and the other with Remington match. I haven’t shot them a lot but they were as accurate as anything else I have kicking around. The triggers are both around 2.5#. Any lower I had to be overly gentle closing the bolt. The scope bolt handle clearance is the only downer on these imo. I wish the scope would mount lower. They aren’t very common up in Canada and if I see them at a good price/condition, I grab them. No body with the exception of Anschutz is making rimfires that compare to these anymore. For any price.

Are the rifles with sights more rare? It seems like when I search these online, I mainly see the smooth barrel/no sight rifles. I thought about selling the rear aperture on my rifle, but It has to be original: Probably sold that way from the factory, because it does not have a rear sight otherwise:

I think you are being "penny wise and pound foolish" stripping those sights off that rifle.

I bought my first Miroku made Win 52c replica in 1992. Back then they were Browning marked guns. I owned two of those in the 1990s. I have also owned two the the Winchester marked USRAC market m52b rifle like yours. None of those guns had sights and I never saw a period catalog showing rifles with factory irons on the Jap made 52 rifles.
Counting the other six orgional Winchester m52 rifles have owned,(mostly target models) I have a bit of experience with them. Below is a my current 1945 made m52b Sporting alongside a few of my other cherished rifles

The previous owner of your rifle spent at least $150 in parts and gunsmithing to have that Lyman 57 and the front ramp sight set fitted to that gun in order to make it more like the orgional m52b sporters which shipped standard with Lyman 57/48 sights and front ramp sporting sights.

As much as you enjoy shooting irons on your other rimfires, I would think you would have s bit more appreciation for what you inherited with that gun. A lyman 17AHB globe would be the only thing keeping it from shooting as well with irons as your other rifles. If you leave the Lyman 57 base attatched to the reciever the sight slide comes off by pishing a button. Pair that with some QD Weaver ,:Pic or Talley etc rings, and the rifle can be outfitted with sights for whatever purpose in seconds.

No one spent money on gunsmithing those factory irons. Hint: "factory irons". I also wouldn't say I exactly "enjoy" shooting irons. One of the reasons being, I have to shoot irons right handed. It's kind of a shame. I enjoy shooting scoped rifles more. Today was the first time I've shot my old 1949 Model B in 2 years. If that gives you an idea of how much I really enjoy shooting irons. Ha ha..

The old girl does pretty good though:

Not the ammo it prefers, but it does pretty good. Besides, I have 3 actual target rifles, with factory apertures.

I like the sporter set up with a scope. Plus, it's not a "target" rifle. Many reasons not to use it as an iron sight rifle. I will hang on to the Lyman rear sight, since it goes with the rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I will say it one more time.

Neither Browning nor USRAC/Winchester ever shipped Japanese made 52c or B replica rifles with factory iron sights. They all had smooth ,sigthtess barrels out of the box .

The previous owner added the sights on your rifle.

Last edited by jk16; 01/04/24.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I will say it one more time.

Neither Browning nor USRAC/Winchester ever shipped Japanese made 52c or B replica rifles with factory iron sights. They all had smooth ,sigthtess barrels out of the box .

The previous owner added the sights on your rifle.

Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure I've seen others with the irons. It's a cool feature, regardless. Probably one of the reasons I was drawn to it, because it looks like an original. Like my pre 64 model 70's, I like the looks of the irons.

Here's something I did find on the matter at rimfire central. It may be of some interest to you:

#14 · Dec 24, 2009 (Edited)
rubberhead said:
i had a win, marked reproduction sadly traded it off and just 2 yrs ago found another bought it after a quick lookover and when i took it out of the box found it was factory supplied with lyman reciever sight and front ramp and bead . never saw another like it anyone know about these. incidentaly it shoots up to it's heritage

_tk
802 posts · Joined 2007
As you know, they were all drilled from the factory for a rear peep, but nothing up front. Sounds like someone installed a rear peep on that rifle and then had a gunsmith put a front sight on it, as well.

Winchester/Browning even mentioned doing this in their repo brochure. However, I have heard rumors that a few guns left the factory with full sights. Personally I have never seen one nor have seen documentation for this. BUt a few folks say they exist.

If the one I have isn't original, I'd be pretty surprised. Another thing I've noticed on this rifle, is it doesn't say made in Japan on both sides of the barrel, like some I've seen. Another plus, as far as I'm concerned.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I too wondered about the irons on your 52 BSA.

As I have had 6-7 52 Repos Browning/ Winchester. About 1/2 were NIB. The rest used. I have not seen a 52 Repo with factory irons. I think you are lucky.

On another note .....you have awakened my 52 interest. I will have to drag some out and shot 'em.

I remember an old 52 sporter somewhere in the pile . But ,my interest lies in my custom 52 sporters.

Best,

Chuck

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally, I think that front sight really dresses up that rifle in the original sense. No matter to me if it was factory installed or not, it wouldn't make a difference to me if buying it but if I had to choose between two of the same price and condition I would go for the one with the front sight installed.
The original sporter barrel I acquired for my 52C Sporter build has the front sight on it and I think it completes the build. I also have a complete set up for a 52B I own that will get turned down and the sight added. The later original 52 sporters had the front sights sweated on instead of the earlier models that were machined as part of the barrel. I just wish it wasn't so darned hard to find the correct hood for those sights

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by cisco1
I too wondered about the irons on your 52 BSA.

As I have had 6-7 52 Repos Browning/ Winchester. About 1/2 were NIB. The rest used. I have not seen a 52 Repo with factory irons. I think you are lucky.

On another note .....you have awakened my 52 interest. I will have to drag some out and shot 'em.

I remember an old 52 sporter somewhere in the pile . But ,my interest lies in my custom 52 sporters.

Best,

Chuck

I most likely wont be buying any more rimfires in my time.However i have seen a handful of pics of Chucks Custom 52s! So aint no tellin whats fixin to play out.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H

JK,

Spectacular Rifles!!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by hitman

JK,

Spectacular Rifles!!

Thank you.. They are all getting up their in age
The little Marlin 1897 will turn 125 this year having been built in 1899. The little 9422 is the youngest at 47 and the 1949 Model 70 at the top will be 75 this year and the 1945 m52 will be 80 next year.

The m9422 was my first rifle, so I know it's life story well but I wish the other three rifles could talk.. I would love to hear what they had been through before I aquired them.

Last edited by jk16; 01/05/24.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,265
Posts18,486,536
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.