Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Wondering how these rifles shoot. Anyone here have one that they can share with us? I just bought one today, but will pick it up tomorrow. Scope it tomorrow, and take it to the range on Saturday and do some ammo testing. This one was made in 1997, from the research I've done.

I missed out on a really nice Winchester model 52 sporter, made in 1950, about 6 years ago. Then I saw a model B made in 1949, that I did not pass up. I love that rifle. I'm hoping this Miroku Winchester model 52 will be as nice. We will see. I'll post some pics, after I get it home.

I have been thinking about buying a nicer 22lr recently. My thoughts were CZ457, or Bergara, or even a Tikka T1x because I know those shoot very well. I even thought if I could find a nice Kimber with a wood stock, for a good deal, I'd snag it. Then this Winchester model 52 sporter came along. Priced fairly reasonable, so it was a no brainer. I'm just hoping it shoots as good as it looks.

If any of you have one, or even an original, please share your thoughts. Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Dammit bsa… stop with the nonsense and order yourself a vudoo

You’re a shootin sumbitch and you deserve it

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Dammit bsa… stop with the nonsense and order yourself a vudoo

You’re a shootin sumbitch and you deserve it

I'll put that on my bucket list buddy!!! Thanks! I'm pretty sure you have some 52's though. I've seen some of them. Do you have a sporter buddy?? I'd love to see some pics. Hell, even post your beautiful heavy barrel 52's too. You know I enjoy looking at those rifles. I was just on gunbroker checking completed sales on these Japanese Miroku's, damn some sold for $1,300.00 recently!!!! I don't think I got hurt at $700? If my savage MKII outshoots it, I'm going to be pizzed.. ha ha..

Speaking of Vudoo, one of my buddies I shoot longrange competition with is having a Masterpiece arms Vudoo built. Supposed to be pretty damn nice. I'm glad I don't shoot rimfire competition with those guys, it would end up making me spend more money I don't have!!!! Those are the cream of the crop though, and sweet azzed shooters.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I had one several years ago. a 52D was its designation. it shot very well the trigger needs some attention mine came pretty heavy but I managed to work it down to something reasonable. if I remember correctly I completely eliminated one spring in the system . but it's been long enough ago I couldn't say for sure. damn it pretty much shoot with my 1422 Anschutz and Kimber HS .. and if I remember correctly it had a kind of a liking for CCI green tags ..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ldholton
I had one several years ago. a 52D was its designation. it shot very well the trigger needs some attention mine came pretty heavy but I managed to work it down to something reasonable. if I remember correctly I completely eliminated one spring in the system . but it's been long enough ago I couldn't say for sure. damn it pretty much shoot with my 1422 Anschutz and Kimber HS .. and if I remember correctly it had a kind of a liking for CCI green tags ..

Great info. I will look around for some of that ammo for it. I have an assortment to try in it, but I'll add that to the list. Thinking CCI standard velocity may work well too. If the trigger needs attention, I'll do my do diligence to take care of that issue. I'm thinking I'll shoot it first and see how it does, before I mess with it too much. Thanks idholton!

BSA MAGA
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I do have a Japanese 52 and while it’s a very nice rifle with deep bluing and inletted sling swivels and nice checking blah blah it’s one of the last rifles I grab when it comes to .22 games

You definitely did good at 700..you always seem to swoop great deals!

You have an (understandable) draw to accuracy no matter the chambering..I’d highly suggest you take the plunge and never look back

She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I do have a Japanese 52 and while it’s a very nice rifle with deep bluing and inletted sling swivels and nice checking blah blah it’s one of the last rifles I grab when it comes to .22 games

You definitely did good at 700..you always seem to swoop great deals!

You have an (understandable) draw to accuracy no matter the chambering..I’d highly suggest you take the plunge and never look back

Thanks buddy. This one is going to be topped with one of my spare gloss Leupold 3-9x40 Vari-x IIc rifle scopes. It won't really be a competition style rifle. But it should still be fun to shoot. I'm still hoping it shoots well though. When I saw it, I was hoping it was an older 52 sporter. They wanted $799.99 for it, but I made the offer of $700, and they accepted it. Pretty hard to turn my back on it, as it's a pretty nice rifle.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
There’s no way I would have turned my back. That’s a lot of rifle for 700 bucks.
Mine is sweet but I’m sure I paid 1000 for it

She's gone shootin..
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Over the years I have had 6-7 Jap 52's. The first thing that has to be done is to remove the "lawyer pin".

The trigger will be a little better. I have one left ...I had a Balvar 6X24 scope laying around .Put it on for fun.

In years past I have had original 52 Sporters....in my mind they were beautiful clunkers, heavy and shot good off the bench.

I have made up a couple sporters from target 52's. I like the "C" models for the triggers. These are nice.

Just my 2 cents.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks cisco1. I'll have to look up the "lawyers pin", and see what you are referring to. This rifle is pretty lightweight, as it has the light contour sporter barrel. It also has sights, and a Lyman rear aperture. I'll remove that and scope it though. I don't know the exact weight, but it felt like around 6 pounds or so.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by cisco1
Over the years I have had 6-7 Jap 52's. The first thing that has to be done is to remove the "lawyer pin".

The trigger will be a little better. I have one left ...I had a Balvar 6X24 scope laying around .Put it on for fun.

In years past I have had original 52 Sporters....in my mind they were beautiful clunkers, heavy and shot good off the bench.

I have made up a couple sporters from target 52's. I like the "C" models for the triggers. These are nice.

Just my 2 cents.
you know it could have been a pen I took out instead of a spring that I mentioned earlier it's been about 20 years ago that this was so my memory may be a bit foggy there..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Just my 2 cents.
you know it could have been a pen I took out instead of a spring that I mentioned earlier it's been about 20 years ago that this was so my memory may be a bit foggy there..

I'll definitely pull it apart. However, I'll check the pull weight first. Maybe even try adjusting it, to see how low I can safely adjust it. If i can get to a really clean break at 2.5 pounds, I'll be happy with it. 2 pounds would be even better. Doesn't have to be exceedingly light for my uses. However, I do like a good trigger.

This after a 5 second search

Thanks guys. That will be something I definitely look at. Looks like that pin limits the adjustment on the trigger pull weight screw.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have had a few Jap 52's .....removed the lawyer pins on all of them . The triggers were better , but never to my satisfaction. As for 52's, I always liked the "C" model triggers the best.

They are still a lot of fun to shoot and I am definitely not an accomplished target shooter.

I know a lot of you guys that shoot targets would be much better than I am.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have had a few Jap 52's .....removed the lawyer pins on all of them . The triggers were better , but never to my satisfaction. As for 52's, I always liked the "C" model triggers the best.

They are still a lot of fun to shoot and I am definitely not an accomplished target shooter.

I know a lot of you guys that shoot targets would be much better than I am.

I'm happy with the trigger on my 1949 model B, so I'm assuming this one will be just as good? Hopefully.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had a chance to shoot a few of the Repro 52s and some shoot better than others. All in, it seems the shoot about on par with the Kimber 82 models I've shot and about as picky with ammo as most rimfires. Triggers can be great and can be awful, but at least there is some adjustment and you already found the article on rimfirecentral on the lawyer pin so you have a head start on that.

They really are a beautiful rifle and Miroku did a great job of putting them together like they always do. At the price you paid you certainly won't get hurt on it either way but they make a great carrying around squirrel rifle at the weight and they handle and balance very well in my experience...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
C
CJL Offline
C
Hi, I have a Winchester 52B for about 10-15 years now. As others have said, with the trigger pin removed you can get a clean 2-2.5 trigger. As far as precision goes, it will shoot toe-to-toe with my Anschutz 1903 (past) and my 1907 present at 50 yds. It has a tight chamber so cheep ammo will chamber hard. I do not have a preferred ammo brand, SK, RWS and Eley all work good. I think it will clean an NRA 50 meter target. My setup is a little heavy for hunter silhouette. I have not been disappointed with it at all.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CJL
Hi, I have a Winchester 52B for about 10-15 years now. As others have said, with the trigger pin removed you can get a clean 2-2.5 trigger. As far as precision goes, it will shoot toe-to-toe with my Anschutz 1903 (past) and my 1907 present at 50 yds. It has a tight chamber so cheep ammo will chamber hard. I do not have a preferred ammo brand, SK, RWS and Eley all work good. I think it will clean an NRA 50 meter target. My setup is a little heavy for hunter silhouette. I have not been disappointed with it at all.

Damn, that sounds pretty good. Thanks for your input.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
I've had a chance to shoot a few of the Repro 52s and some shoot better than others. All in, it seems the shoot about on par with the Kimber 82 models I've shot and about as picky with ammo as most rimfires. Triggers can be great and can be awful, but at least there is some adjustment and you already found the article on rimfirecentral on the lawyer pin so you have a head start on that.

They really are a beautiful rifle and Miroku did a great job of putting them together like they always do. At the price you paid you certainly won't get hurt on it either way but they make a great carrying around squirrel rifle at the weight and they handle and balance very well in my experience...

Thanks buddy! If I were still in Oregon, I'd be packing this around in the fall for those silvers. Here, I can get away with causal plunking at jacks and cotton tails, and maybe some prarie dogs, this spring and summer. I know you like your older 52's, glad you chimed in!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing wrong with chasing Rabbits and prairie dogs with the Repro 52s while your center fire rifles cool down... wink Accuracy is definitely sufficient for squirrels, rabbits, and other critters of opportunity. We have had pretty good accuracy with most decent game ammo like Power Points, Federal Premium, and some CCI SV, but once you find the ammo it really likes you will really have a good time . I hope the trigger is decent on the one you got but I know you will get it as good as possible once you get it in hand. I have heard that 2.5 lbs is about as good as they get, but I don't know if that is true or not. Tim's Repro is about 5 lbs, but it breaks really clean so we have left it there for now.

Pictures will, of course, be required... wink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nothing wrong with chasing Rabbits and prairie dogs with the Repro 52s while your center fire rifles cool down... wink Accuracy is definitely sufficient for squirrels, rabbits, and other critters of opportunity. We have had pretty good accuracy with most decent game ammo like Power Points, Federal Premium, and some CCI SV, but once you find the ammo it really likes you will really have a good time . I hope the trigger is decent on the one you got but I know you will get it as good as possible once you get it in hand. I have heard that 2.5 lbs is about as good as they get, but I don't know if that is true or not. Tim's Repro is about 5 lbs, but it breaks really clean so we have left it there for now.

Pictures will, of course, be required... wink

Ask and you shall receive. Here it is right after I got it home, before doing any clean up on it, and before I removed the rear aperture sight:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This side has a few small dings in the butt stock. Nothing major^^^^^^ As picky as I am, I can live with it.

This side is pretty flawless:

All the metal is very nice. Like new bluing. Not really much wear. Even in the raceway, and chamber area. I don't think it's been shot much. The crown is pristine, but I did not get a pic of that.

So, I want to test the accuracy on this one. I was originally thinking of putting one of my spare Leupold 3-9x40 gloss Vari-XIIc rifle scopes on it. I tried that, and it did not look good. I had to go with medium rings, so the bolt handle would clear as well, so I figured I'd throw a good proven scope on it. One of my favorite rimfire scopes. Weaver V16 4-16x42:

I'll be testing some different ammo in this one, later on today. That Weaver may not stay on there, but who knows??

Oh, yeah, I removed the "lawyer pin", and the trigger is excellent. I lowered it to 2 pounds pretty easily, but the adjustment screw protruded the bottom metal more than I liked, so I set the screw slightly above level, and it's at 2 1/4 pounds now. No creep, and it breaks clean. I think I'm going to like this one!!!

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have wanted one of the Japanese Model 52's for a long time but the timing and circumstances have not come together yet. Looks like you found a great looking rifle and a very good price. I am looking forward to your range report.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Nice rifle BSA..... I woulda bought it .

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Got 2, 1 left as original and second rebarreled with a heavy barrel and McMillian stock, there both shooters

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That’s a pretty 52 BSA. I have looked at a few of them and man, that one you got looks quite nice.

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I currently have 2 of them and agree with Cisco, they are kind of "klunky", but they are good to look at.

I prefer comparable models/styles from Anschutz, Krico, and the Winchester 320 to the Winchester 52s, so mine are hanger queens that haven't left the gun room in years. I have a Tradewinds 311A, an imported Krico, that is my favorite warm up rifle when I go to the range. Accurate, man-size, and not quite as "klunky" as the Japanese 52Bs. The last time that I looked, Simpson LTD in Galsburg, IL, had some Kricos priced under $400 that would be worth a peek if a person was in the market for a bolt action .22 sporter with better than average accuracy potential.

The Japanese 52B that I have out in racks has a Leupold Alaskan 4x on it in Browning turn-in style rings. I bought an extra bolt handle for it that I modified to a lower lift height, as the factory specs bolt handle has quite a high lift and may require medium or even high rings, depending on the size/diameter of the scope's ocular and objective bells.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys. I'll let you know how she does. Heading to the range in about an hour.. Will be shooting for a few...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a pretty devil. Hope it shoots as well as it looks. I have several V16 Weavers and they are just about perfect on the rimfires for target work and hunting. Is yours a Fine Crosshair or the Target Dot?

I'll be curious to see what ammo you feed through your new prize and how it does.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That is a pretty devil. Hope it shoots as well as it looks. I have several V16 Weavers and they are just about perfect on the rimfires for target work and hunting. Is yours a Fine Crosshair or the Target Dot?

I'll be curious to see what ammo you feed through your new prize and how it does.

I like them too. This one just has a duplex type reticle. Works great though. I bought one a few weeks ago on ebay, but it had some issues, so I had to return it!! This rifle did better than expected. That is the funny thing about rimfires, you never know what they are going to do, or what ammo they are going to like. I tested 7 different kinds of ammo:

Didn't get around to testing any of the bulk ammo, that I usually test, but it seemed to like the cheaper American Eagle, and Federal game shok hollow points. It shoots decent enough for a hunting rifle.

Here's the first 10 shot group I shot for score today:

I'll try to keep the targets limited to the ones I shot for score. I also wrote the group size on the targets. Second one shot for score:

3rd group shot for score:

4th group shot for score:

5th shot for score:

6th:

7th is just a 10 shot group. Wasn't too crazy about how my Federal Gold Medal Match did. It shoots excellent in my Kidd barreled 10/22:

Then I had to verify the ammo, and rifle and make sure it was still dialed in with the Wolf Match Extra:

Still fairly zeroed with that ammo, that I started with. Group was bigger, but at that point, I had about 140 rounds on the barrel.

Rifle functioned great! Not nearly as smooth as my old model 52, but this one is in like new condition. I'm thinking it will wear in nicely. It's still smooth, but not like the old one, if that makes any sense. The trigger is great, but I may have to adjust it to around 2.5 pounds.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Thanks for the range report which just makes me want one even more

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kandpand

I'm just glad it seems to shoot about as good as my Savage MKII, but it's a lot prettier!!! ha ha.. A lot more comfortable to get behind too, and the trigger shoe is wide and comfortable, just like I like. I shoot left handed, and thought it would probably be even more comfortable to a right handed shooter. I damn near tried it right handed, but had to do some testing with my stainless 10/22 and didn't get a chance.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I'm just glad it seems to shoot about as good as my Savage MKII, but it's a lot prettier!!! ha ha.. A lot more comfortable to get behind too, and the trigger shoe is wide and comfortable, just like I like. I shoot left handed, and thought it would probably be even more comfortable to a right handed shooter. I damn near tried it right handed, but had to do some testing with my stainless 10/22 and didn't get a chance.
awesome my internet friend that's exactly what I figured you would find did you find a particular ammo yet that it seemed to like.? I like the one I had. but at the time I didn't have enough cash to keep it and keep progressing up the food chain in my opinion which I'm not sure was always correct LOL..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

awesome my internet friend that's exactly what I figured you would find did you find a particular ammo yet that it seemed to like.? I like the one I had. but at the time I didn't have enough cash to keep it and keep progressing up the food chain in my opinion which I'm not sure was always correct LOL..

Today was the first day to shoot the 52. It seems to like the Wolf Match Extra ammo that STRSWilson sent me. Many thanks to him for doing that, seems like the perfect timing and this rifle likes it!! The other ammo that it seemed to like was the old Eley Club Xtra ammo:

More shooting and other ammo will tell me more. Off to a good start though, but it seems like it has a very noticeable preference towards the match ammo. Some of my other rifles are not as picky, but those have heavier barrels.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have enjoyed this forum as I always wanted an original M52 but got behind the $$ power curve.
This fall I finally found a NIB Brn M52 for $950 and bought it. Then at another NIB one showed a month later for $900. I removed the lawyer pin in the triggers and have only shot a few pesky squirrel but am looking forward to wringing them out with good ammo and comparing them to my Martini International and Rem 40x sporters this spring when it warms up.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Someday I'll have to have one of these. There's a Winchester 52 reproduction listed on RFC now that looks very nice and is advertised as unfired NIB. The asking price is a bit higher than some of you have paid. I'd probably pull my shoulder out of socket getting to my wallet if I found a nice one like BSA did for $700.00.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

Today was the first day to shoot the 52. It seems to like the Wolf Match Extra ammo that STRSWilson sent me. Many thanks to him for doing that, seems like the perfect timing and this rifle likes it!! The other ammo that it seemed to like was the old Eley Club Xtra ammo:

More shooting and other ammo will tell me more. Off to a good start though, but it seems like it has a very noticeable preference towards the match ammo. Some of my other rifles are not as picky, but those have heavier barrels.
wolf match extra and match Target it's pretty good ammo it used to be very good for the price point back when you could buy it for $20 a brick but those days are long gone. I haven't shot any wolf for quite some time I kind of forgot about the stuff..

Last edited by ldholton; 12/31/23.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Good Morning and Happy New Year BSA,

Very nice "wring -out" of the 52.

Best,

Chuck

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I sure enjoy my original (late 11920s) Model 52. Doesn't quite keep up with my *CZ455 but is fun to shoot and always gets looks and questions at the range.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had one. It shot very small groups with a variety of ammo, but Lapua Midas would put 5-10 into 0.2xx” groups at 50yds. The drop on the stock ruined the rifle for me personally, wish it would have had a straight comb. I was using a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 in exlow leupold rings, and it still didn’t fit me well. The scope handle would hit it the scope but could work it fine, so I just put a small piece of black electrical tape on the scope where it would hit. Ended up selling mine to someone on here I think, and bought a Kimber K22 Classic.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Barrelhorses
Someday I'll have to have one of these. There's a Winchester 52 reproduction listed on RFC now that looks very nice and is advertised as unfired NIB. The asking price is a bit higher than some of you have paid. I'd probably pull my shoulder out of socket getting to my wallet if I found a nice one like BSA did for $700.00.

Luckily I found it at a hole in the wall gunshop that I frequent about once a month. A lot of times I walk out of there with a new/used rifle. Part of it is the economy as well. Even at that, I feel very lucky to find this one. I have been looking for a while, but did not want to pay the $1,000.00+ for a reproduction. I'm not complaining, but was hoping to find an original, one of these day. I looked on some online sites lastnight, and those dang originals are upwards of $5,000.00!!!! Yeah, pass the repro please. Ha ha..

I'm glad you guys are enjoying this thread. It's been fun sharing my new rifle with you. If any of you guys have any that you care to post pictures of, please do that, and let us know how they shoot too. I'd appreciate it!!!

Have a safe and happy new year guys!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Papag
I sure enjoy my original (late 11920s) Model 52. Doesn't quite keep up with my *CZ455 but is fun to shoot and always gets looks and questions at the range.

I'll bet. I'd be drooling!!..

I always love it when guys bring old rifles to the range. I know some rifles always incite some kind of a conversation.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good Morning and Happy New Year BSA,

Very nice "wring -out" of the 52.

Best,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. I appreciate your input in this thread!

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My Last 52[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Nice rifle BSA and looks like you have a great shooter! I’ll be watching your additional ammo reviews with it!

Penndog

Last edited by PennDog; 12/31/23.
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Those Japanese 52 sporters were hard not to like. I'm really enjoying your review of yours. I'll be watching to see how it shoots with RWS ammo.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22
Those Japanese 52 sporters were hard not to like. I'm really enjoying your review of yours. I'll be watching to see how it shoots with RWS ammo.

I've been thinking about RWS as well. I know sheister likes it. The last stuff I had, didn't last long in my new stainless 10/22.

If/when I find more, I'll let you guys know how this rifle likes it. That may be a while though.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Yea BSA they’re nice rifles and just like any quality .22…. are a good addition to any .22 collection.

I’d there anything I can do to nudge you into ordering a vudoo?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by robertham1
Yea BSA they’re nice rifles and just like any quality .22…. are a good addition to any .22 collection.

Dang, those are nice. I like the looks of those gloss Leupolds on those rifles. What is the rifle on the bottom?

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Nice brace of rifles. The Remington 541S on the bottom looks just like the one I have and I found a 541T to go with it. They both shoot about like the 52 Repros do and like the Repros are going up in value quickly... good to see how many guys on this site still appreciate well made rimfires.

Good report on the Repro BSA. Looking forward to see further testing with it. Wondering if you had a chance to season the barrel between ammo to get it to settle down? In some of my rifles it can make a real difference after about 15 -20 shots, in others it is not so noticeable...
Weather here sucks right now so it might be a bit before I get to shoot at any paper for a while, but I may pack up my varmint rifles and head up to Central Oregon for some coyote chasing if I get ambitious...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Nice brace of rifles. The Remington 541S on the bottom looks just like the one I have and I found a 541T to go with it. They both shoot about like the 52 Repros do and like the Repros are going up in value quickly... good to see how many guys on this site still appreciate well made rimfires.

Good report on the Repro BSA. Looking forward to see further testing with it. Wondering if you had a chance to season the barrel between ammo to get it to settle down? In some of my rifles it can make a real difference after about 15 -20 shots, in others it is not so noticeable...
Weather here sucks right now so it might be a bit before I get to shoot at any paper for a while, but I may pack up my varmint rifles and head up to Central Oregon for some coyote chasing if I get ambitious...

I seasoned between most ammos. Not as much as you did the day we shot together. I remember your 52 really needed it, especially when switching to the RWS ammo. I only seasoned with about 5 shots for each type of ammo. I then shot a 10 shot group at the orange dot, then I shot for score. The targets I posted. So, they actually had 15 rounds of that ammo, before shooting for score. With that being said, the groups shot at the orange dots, were very similar in size as the ones that I posted pics of. Here's one for example. It seemed like it took a few more shots to season the barrel with this ammo. The lubrication on these older ones is dry and powdery:

Here's the first 10 shot group with the cheaper Federal game shok hollow points:

Using those to show as an example. Rifle is pretty consistent. I didn't really see anything concerning, like weird fliers or anything like that. The last group I shot, I was kind of disappointed that I had that flier on the top of the x-ring. I think if I wouldn't have gotten that one, it would have been another .4" group.. Similar to the first 10 shots for score, that I posted a pic of.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
BSA- the bottom rifle, as sheister noted, is a 541S.

Vudoo Gun Works
(435) 359-2890
Ask for Jill, she’s a peach!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like you got a good one. Have fun with it...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA- the bottom rifle, as sheister noted, is a 541S.

Vudoo Gun Works
(435) 359-2890
Ask for Jill, she’s a peach!

Thanks buddy. Do you or any of your brothers have a 513S as well?? You know there aren't any flies on any of those old rifles. I even like the old Mossbergs. You guys have some nice rifles, for sure. I don't shoot much competition with rimfires anymore, so I don't know If I'd need the Vudoo. If I still lived in Oregon, I don't even think I'd need it. Most of the guys at my club up there, have really nice old Model 52's, Kimber 82's, Mossbergs, and Remington's. Some scope their rimfire competition rifles with the old Lyman and Unertl target scopes. Those old boys know how to shoot those rifles too. One of the reasons I have the '49 model 52 target model. Had to do that, so I could keep up with them. I guess the Vudoo would work well in our KYL matches. However, my Kidd barreled 10/22 dominates that game. It's nice to have options though.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks like you got a good one. Have fun with it...

Thanks buddy. I'll keep trying different ammo, and make note of which ones it likes best.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Damn you BSA,
Now I’m looking at 52’s I don’t need!

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Damn you BSA,

Ha ha.. Took the girlfriend out today, and she shot it. She really liked it, but she liked my new 10/22 better. Shame on her!!! ha ha.. These 52's are pretty nice. When this one wears in, it will be nicer. Right now, it's like a virgin.

I might as well show her target. She dropped one shot, which seems to be a thing with her. She's doing very well though, for not having much time behind a trigger:

We didn't shoot the 52 much yesterday, as it was getting very cold, as the sun went behind the hill. Temps drop fast over here in the high desert, when the sun goes down. I told her I'd have to test on a different day, when I had more time. I still need to test some cheap bulk ammo, like Federal Automatch, (both new lots and old lots), and a few other cheap varieties. I'll keep you guys posted.

Later in the evening, I made some adjustments to the trigger. Got the pull weight down to 2 pounds, and it's cocking every time. The trigger is sweet on this one. Thankfully, as sheister said some were not as good. Had to get back on rimfirecentral and looks at a schematic of the trigger, and read some instructions to get it adjusted properly. The rifle looks like a keeper to me!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Damn you BSA,

What does "need" have to do with it??? Hey, look at that target my girlfriend shot lastnight. She does very well, for a new shooter. I don't expect match grade accuracy out of this rifle, but I have to say that it is actually impressing me. You know you want one of these!! ha ha..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Damn you BSA,

Same here.. It's a horrible problem to have!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Damn you BSA,

Same here.. It's a horrible problem to have!

I was looking yesterday, and I saw some nice originals on gunsinternational for $3,500.00. The reproductions, like the one I have, are much cheaper.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I have shot 2. One about 25 years ago and another this past summer. The first is my uncles that he loaned me to rabbit hunt with. I did well with it. This last one is also owned by someone else, but I was asked to test it with different .22 ammo. It had a tight match grade chamber as I was told. It wouldn't feed some rounds but those it did proved very accurate. As I recall, ragged one hole groups at 25 yards with no wind and not much worse at 50 with rounds it liked.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I have shot 2. One about 25 years ago and another this past summer. The first is my uncles that he loaned me to rabbit hunt with. I did well with it. This last one is also owned by someone else, but I was asked to test it with different .22 ammo. It had a tight match grade chamber as I was told. It wouldn't feed some rounds but those it did proved very accurate. As I recall, ragged one hole groups at 25 yards with no wind and not much worse at 50 with rounds it liked.

Interesting. I don't notice that mine feeds any differently than a new rifle. I've shot some rifles that had match chambers, and know what you are saying though.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here's one similar to the one I bought:
Winchester model 52 reproduction

Sans iron sights.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Glad to see you’re liking that 52 bsa👍🏼

She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Glad to see you’re liking that 52 bsa👍🏼

Thanks buddy. I really do like it. I was a little offended, though, when my girlfriend said my Savage 93R17 is smoother. ha ha. She says that is a "sweet rifle".. Shaking head here.. She doesn't know any better though. ha ha... Well, I'm not going to bad mouth the Savage, I only pull that one out at the clubs golf ball shoots, when some unknowingly victim says they want to shoot against someone with a bolt action.. Shaking head there again.. ha ha.. The last one was a master class shooter. I felt bad..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member

I have a pair and they are really nice guns for the money.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters

Sweet rifles. Thanks for sharing!!!! They have such classic lines. How do yours shoot? Also wondering how your triggers are and what weight of pull you have them adjusted to? Thanks!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
When they were both scoped, they’d shoot 5 shots into a half inch at 50 yards, one with cci sv and the other with Remington match. I haven’t shot them a lot but they were as accurate as anything else I have kicking around. The triggers are both around 2.5#. Any lower I had to be overly gentle closing the bolt. The scope bolt handle clearance is the only downer on these imo. I wish the scope would mount lower. They aren’t very common up in Canada and if I see them at a good price/condition, I grab them. No body with the exception of Anschutz is making rimfires that compare to these anymore. For any price.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Glad to know I am not the only one crazy enough to buy two simply because the price for both was half what the original M52 sporters are bringing

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Off topic but this wartime 52B is the only other 52 I have. I’d fill the safe with them but they are hard to find and becoming expensive for good reason

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
beautiful rifles.

Molon Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
When they were both scoped, they’d shoot 5 shots into a half inch at 50 yards, one with cci sv and the other with Remington match. I haven’t shot them a lot but they were as accurate as anything else I have kicking around. The triggers are both around 2.5#. Any lower I had to be overly gentle closing the bolt. The scope bolt handle clearance is the only downer on these imo. I wish the scope would mount lower. They aren’t very common up in Canada and if I see them at a good price/condition, I grab them. No body with the exception of Anschutz is making rimfires that compare to these anymore. For any price.

Great info. Thanks!! Those sure are beautiful rifles.

Are the rifles with sights more rare? It seems like when I search these online, I mainly see the smooth barrel/no sight rifles. I thought about selling the rear aperture on my rifle, but It has to be original: Probably sold that way from the factory, because it does not have a rear sight otherwise:

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 458Win

Glad to know I am not the only one crazy enough to buy two simply because the price for both was half what the original M52 sporters are bringing

After buying my rifle, I was shocked to see original 52 sporters listed at $5,000.00!!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Those are nice 22's fellas..

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Off topic but this wartime 52B is the only other 52 I have. I’d fill the safe with them but they are hard to find and becoming expensive for good reason

I love the old 52 as well. I got lucky when I found my 1949 model B. I think if someone has never shot one of the older ones, they really owe it to themselves to check one out. When you shoot them, the thought of quality, always enters my head. Sometimes I have to check to make sure my rifle fed one into the chamber, because it's so smooth. The funny thing, is it's never not fed one it, but I always check!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Those are nice 22's fellas..

There are some nice ones in this thread. Good info too. I appreciate the help and info here!!!

I think what some of this boils down to is I like shooting, and shooting rimfires can be a little cheaper than shooting the centerfires. Plus, my girlfriend likes to go shooting too, and supplying her with ammo for her AR, and 243 is costing a little more. Well, she has bought ammo for her AR, but I told her to shoot my handloads instead, so it's kind of my fault. Her Christmas present was a box of 500 9mm's. Ha ha...

So, I have not really shot a lot of 22lr the last 30 years, but that is about to change I guess.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I could definitely like terrorizing stuff with some M52's that have been shown.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I could definitely like terrorizing stuff with some M52's that have been shown.

That would be classy!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Ah, we are talking model 52's here. Check out this video. Here are some old ones, strutting their stuff:

That dang 52 pre A made in 1920 shot very well. Similar to my '49 52B, as far as accuracy goes. Makes me want to grab my old 52 and go to the range!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I might have to do a shoot out between my old and new rifle. I've been trying to avoid that though..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Are the rifles with sights more rare? It seems like when I search these online, I mainly see the smooth barrel/no sight rifles. I thought about selling the rear aperture on my rifle, but It has to be original: Probably sold that way from the factory, because it does not have a rear sight otherwise:

I think you are being "penny wise and pound foolish" stripping those sights off that rifle.

I bought my first Miroku made Win 52c replica in 1992. Back then they were Browning marked guns. I owned two of those in the 1990s. I have also owned two the the Winchester marked USRAC market m52b rifle like yours. None of those guns had sights and I never saw a period catalog showing rifles with factory irons on the Jap made 52 rifles.
Counting the other six orgional Winchester m52 rifles have owned,(mostly target models) I have a bit of experience with them. Below is a my current 1945 made m52b Sporting alongside a few of my other cherished rifles

The previous owner of your rifle spent at least $150 in parts and gunsmithing to have that Lyman 57 and the front ramp sight set fitted to that gun in order to make it more like the orgional m52b sporters which shipped standard with Lyman 57/48 sights and front ramp sporting sights.

As much as you enjoy shooting irons on your other rimfires, I would think you would have s bit more appreciation for what you inherited with that gun. A lyman 17AHB globe would be the only thing keeping it from shooting as well with irons as your other rifles. If you leave the Lyman 57 base attatched to the reciever the sight slide comes off by pishing a button. Pair that with some QD Weaver ,:Pic or Talley etc rings, and the rifle can be outfitted with sights for whatever purpose in seconds.

Last edited by jk16; 01/04/24.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jk16

I think you are being "penny wise and pound foolish" stripping those sights off that rifle.

I bought my first Miroku made Win 52c replica in 1992. Back then they were Browning marked guns. I owned two of those in the 1990s. I have also owned two the the Winchester marked USRAC market m52b rifle like yours. None of those guns had sights and I never saw a period catalog showing rifles with factory irons on the Jap made 52 rifles.
Counting the other six orgional Winchester m52 rifles have owned,(mostly target models) I have a bit of experience with them. Below is a my current 1945 made m52b Sporting alongside a few of my other cherished rifles

The previous owner of your rifle spent at least $150 in parts and gunsmithing to have that Lyman 57 and the front ramp sight set fitted to that gun in order to make it more like the orgional m52b sporters which shipped standard with Lyman 57/48 sights and front ramp sporting sights.

As much as you enjoy shooting irons on your other rimfires, I would think you would have s bit more appreciation for what you inherited with that gun. A lyman 17AHB globe would be the only thing keeping it from shooting as well with irons as your other rifles. If you leave the Lyman 57 base attatched to the reciever the sight slide comes off by pishing a button. Pair that with some QD Weaver ,:Pic or Talley etc rings, and the rifle can be outfitted with sights for whatever purpose in seconds.

No one spent money on gunsmithing those factory irons. Hint: "factory irons". I also wouldn't say I exactly "enjoy" shooting irons. One of the reasons being, I have to shoot irons right handed. It's kind of a shame. I enjoy shooting scoped rifles more. Today was the first time I've shot my old 1949 Model B in 2 years. If that gives you an idea of how much I really enjoy shooting irons. Ha ha..

The old girl does pretty good though:

Not the ammo it prefers, but it does pretty good. Besides, I have 3 actual target rifles, with factory apertures.

I like the sporter set up with a scope. Plus, it's not a "target" rifle. Many reasons not to use it as an iron sight rifle. I will hang on to the Lyman rear sight, since it goes with the rifle.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I will say it one more time.

Neither Browning nor USRAC/Winchester ever shipped Japanese made 52c or B replica rifles with factory iron sights. They all had smooth ,sigthtess barrels out of the box .

The previous owner added the sights on your rifle.

Last edited by jk16; 01/04/24.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I will say it one more time.

Neither Browning nor USRAC/Winchester ever shipped Japanese made 52c or B replica rifles with factory iron sights. They all had smooth ,sigthtess barrels out of the box .

The previous owner added the sights on your rifle.

Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure I've seen others with the irons. It's a cool feature, regardless. Probably one of the reasons I was drawn to it, because it looks like an original. Like my pre 64 model 70's, I like the looks of the irons.

Here's something I did find on the matter at rimfire central. It may be of some interest to you:

#14 · Dec 24, 2009 (Edited)
rubberhead said:
i had a win, marked reproduction sadly traded it off and just 2 yrs ago found another bought it after a quick lookover and when i took it out of the box found it was factory supplied with lyman reciever sight and front ramp and bead . never saw another like it anyone know about these. incidentaly it shoots up to it's heritage

_tk
802 posts · Joined 2007
As you know, they were all drilled from the factory for a rear peep, but nothing up front. Sounds like someone installed a rear peep on that rifle and then had a gunsmith put a front sight on it, as well.

Winchester/Browning even mentioned doing this in their repo brochure. However, I have heard rumors that a few guns left the factory with full sights. Personally I have never seen one nor have seen documentation for this. BUt a few folks say they exist.

If the one I have isn't original, I'd be pretty surprised. Another thing I've noticed on this rifle, is it doesn't say made in Japan on both sides of the barrel, like some I've seen. Another plus, as far as I'm concerned.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I too wondered about the irons on your 52 BSA.

As I have had 6-7 52 Repos Browning/ Winchester. About 1/2 were NIB. The rest used. I have not seen a 52 Repo with factory irons. I think you are lucky.

On another note .....you have awakened my 52 interest. I will have to drag some out and shot 'em.

I remember an old 52 sporter somewhere in the pile . But ,my interest lies in my custom 52 sporters.

Best,

Chuck

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally, I think that front sight really dresses up that rifle in the original sense. No matter to me if it was factory installed or not, it wouldn't make a difference to me if buying it but if I had to choose between two of the same price and condition I would go for the one with the front sight installed.
The original sporter barrel I acquired for my 52C Sporter build has the front sight on it and I think it completes the build. I also have a complete set up for a 52B I own that will get turned down and the sight added. The later original 52 sporters had the front sights sweated on instead of the earlier models that were machined as part of the barrel. I just wish it wasn't so darned hard to find the correct hood for those sights

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I too wondered about the irons on your 52 BSA.

As I have had 6-7 52 Repos Browning/ Winchester. About 1/2 were NIB. The rest used. I have not seen a 52 Repo with factory irons. I think you are lucky.

On another note .....you have awakened my 52 interest. I will have to drag some out and shot 'em.

I remember an old 52 sporter somewhere in the pile . But ,my interest lies in my custom 52 sporters.

Best,

Chuck

I most likely wont be buying any more rimfires in my time.However i have seen a handful of pics of Chucks Custom 52s! So aint no tellin whats fixin to play out.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H

JK,

Spectacular Rifles!!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by hitman

JK,

Spectacular Rifles!!

Thank you.. They are all getting up their in age
The little Marlin 1897 will turn 125 this year having been built in 1899. The little 9422 is the youngest at 47 and the 1949 Model 70 at the top will be 75 this year and the 1945 m52 will be 80 next year.

The m9422 was my first rifle, so I know it's life story well but I wish the other three rifles could talk.. I would love to hear what they had been through before I aquired them.

Last edited by jk16; 01/05/24.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,235 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,259
Posts18,486,403
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.