Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
In “No Country for Old Men” Anton Shigur asks one of his victims, “If the road you traveled brought you to this place (about to die a bloody death), of what use was the road?”

I think about that line every single time I consider where we are in this country today. If this is where our history brought us, what good was it? Pretty much everything you were ever taught was a lie.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JoeBob
In “No Country for Old Men” Anton Shigur asks one of his victims, “If the road you traveled brought you to this place (about to die a bloody death), of what use was the road?”

I think about that line every single time I consider where we are in this country today. If this is where our history brought us, what good was it? Pretty much everything you were ever taught was a lie.

I've often asked what is so great about our Constitution when it has allowed us to decay into what we have now. It is a brilliant piece of paper nobody will defend.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Bristoe
A big part of Lincoln's motivation was to deport the slaves back to Africa.

Lincoln stated that slavery wasn't the issue. He fought the war to preserve the Union.

Lincoln attacked the South because he was told to by his handlers if he wanted to be reelected. Lincoln was personally responsible for the death of 700,000 Americans. He's the worst President in our history soon to be replaced by the radical Muslim Communist Barack Hussein Obama.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stophel
Hmm... I wonder if the seceding states ever did like, oh, I don't know, like an official declaration for the causes of their secession. I wonder what they would say....

Oh, I don’t know. More than a third of them would probably say something like they were forced to secede when Lincoln called on them to send troops to illegally make war on other states.

That what you’re looking for?

Umm... no, not exacty.... laugh laugh laugh

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/primary-sources/declaration-causes-seceding-states

Only Georgia made any real mention of tariffs, trade, etc. but even here it just lead back to.... slavery.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Understanding who fought for what and why is a fine point, but I always end up returning to the bludgeoning notion,

No slavery- no civil war.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Hmm... I wonder if the seceding states ever did like, oh, I don't know, like an official declaration for the causes of their secession. I wonder what they would say....

Oh, I don’t know. More than a third of them would probably say something like they were forced to secede when Lincoln called on them to send troops to illegally make war on other states.

That what you’re looking for?

Umm... no, not exacty.... laugh laugh laugh

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/primary-sources/declaration-causes-seceding-states

Only Georgia made any real mention of tariffs, trade, etc. but even here it just lead back to.... slavery.

So there were only five states in the Confederacy? Wow, learn something every day on the Campfire.

RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sad

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Understanding who fought for what and why is a fine point, but I always end up returning to the bludgeoning notion,

There is no slavery today and we seem to be headed for another. And a lot of the ideas seem to be broken down along the same general geographic lines. If slavery was the only cause, why wasn’t the country fixed when slavery was ended?

RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Do you want to support that position? Or just go with the bumper sticker?

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bazinga !

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RAM
Why is she taking flak for saying the Civil War was fought over States Rights? It was.

Slavery was an also ran, not the reason.

She did not say it was fought over states rights and failed to mention that the cause was slavery. It was not merely an "also ran". It was the cause. She displayed incredible ignorance and her answer was poorly phrased. She's a moron and put on full display why she should not be president.

Last edited by Tarquin; 12/29/23.

Tarquin
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

Well said and absolutely correct.

Tarquin
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI
IT is the accepted lie. Been taught in schools for years. I will bet you if a national poll is taken, slavery as the reason would be almost unanimous.

AKA - a propaganda campaign of only partial information.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

When asked why they were fighting, Confederate troops almost invariably said because the Union invaded The South.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The South was and is the breadbasket of the nation with all of the warm water ports! Lincoln sent troops into the bosom of the South because of economic reasons NOT to save the Negro; conversely if he'd had HIS WAY initially his idea was to send them packing back to Africa!! Import fees for goods coming into the few northern ports were running as high as 40% whereas the idea broached by the South was to have lower tariff fees to embellish trade!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RAM
Why is she taking flak for saying the Civil War was fought over States Rights? It was.

Slavery was an also ran, not the reason.

Sounded like that was her follow-up reason. IMHO and from the history books I've read, the Civil War was begun over secession. Now, we can talk about the reasons for secession.

It absolutely grinds my teeth when people say the reason for the Civil War was slavery. It was not.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Saying the civil war was not about slavery is like saying the super bowl is not about football. There would have been no move to secede were it not for slavery.

Last edited by BuckHaggard; 12/29/23.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
When the Southern Aristocracy resolved to split the United States rather than give up the economic advantages that slavery gave them, that was the first 'shot' fired in the war. States Rights was the bumper sticker that was used to rally white non slave owning southerners to the flag, and thus bleed for the aristocracies wealth and lifestyle.
Follow the money and the power in every war...therein lies the cause.
Conversely, Lincoln had no constitutional right to force stop secession.
Plenty of blame to go around, so now we have an entire angry segment of our society, 12% of the population, that have become generational wards of the taxpayer.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
What a lot of the dumb schits on here don’t realize is how much they’ve fallen for recent communist propaganda.

The idea that the war was not only about, or even principally about slavery was not some Lost Cause bullschit, it was accepted truth. As late as the late 1980s and early 1990s I had college professors teach that there were lots of issues and that slavery was a catalyst instead of the main cause. When, was the last time you heard someone mention “sectionalism” ?

They can’t and don’t teach that now? Why? Are we smarter than we were then? Do we have access to more primary sources? No, because of a systematic campaign to make the war about AND ONLY about slavery.

Why is this? For two reasons. First, the commies could never succeed in the US following their class model that worked elsewhere, they changed tactics and substituted race instead. Therefore, it was white people who needed to look bad, making the Civil War just about slavery was a good way to do that. Secondly, the white people they worried about most and needed to make look worst were the rural types and especially rural southerners. They needed to completely destroy the idea that people had once stood up to the federal government for any reason ither than their own greed and racism. Destroy the idea of states rights. Completely tarnish with racism the idea that anyone would resist the power of the government. And why is that? Because they control the government now and they have bad plans for us. And anyone who resists is just following in the footsteps of their racist ancestors.

It’s as easy as the nose on your face to see.

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Didn't they?

Yes they did. The disagreement over slavery was the reason for their secession in their own words.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (19rabbit52, 163bc, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,426
Posts18,528,391
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.