Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drop_point
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by bluefish
Here in the North when the was a student slavery was the given reason for the Civil War.

I recall it being said that the Civil War was about Economics, not Slavery..which is half true.

The high falutin' southern democraps could not maintain their standard of living and still provide a competitively priced product without slaves to do the work. This means that the war was was about Southern Democraps being able to CHOOSE to live lavishly at the expense of others.... Much like politicians do today.

I always read it was about states' rights (to own slaves). In fact, slavery was such an important part of the southern economy, states joining the CSA were denied the right to end slavery in their state per the CSA constitution. The notion the CSA was interested in states' rights didn't survive for very long. It was definitely about economics and at the end of the day; a bunch of poor people died in an attempt to keep the wealthy wealthy. That does not absolve the North as they imposed many taxes aimed at the South and to prevent the expansion of slavery to the West; allowing the North to out-vote the South.
It doesn't make any difference TODAY !! Slavery has been abolished pretty much since the un-Civil War. It's over !! No one today can walk up to anyone and ask them if they were a slave because they are all DEAD. So is this issue. If you are or were a slave it was not because it was legal or in America.

It's a dead issue and has been for 170 years. PUT IT TO REST !!..

Now, let's talk about issues affecting America today. There is no reason the word slavery and black Americans should ever come up in the same sentence again unless you are an American history teacher. Now and forever. It's over and there is no reason to dig that grave up again.

Any politician who brings it up again is just pandering to the black voters. LBJ paid black Americans off in 1965. The war on poverty was just a vote buying scam that both democRATs and leftist republicans forced upon the good taxpaying Americans who continue to pay that bill but get nothing in return.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Lincoln decreed that a State which voluntarily joined the Union couldn't voluntarily *leave* the Union.

Russia had Stalin. America had Lincoln.

I had a college professor, a southerner ironically, who stated the following;

"We the People"

NOT "We the States"

He also made the claim that no prominent Southerner prior to the war gave a speech that cited states rights or tariffs as a reason for secession, the only reason given was slavery.

Lincoln didn't argue against slavery. His entire focus was "to preserve the Union".

If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Originally Posted by JoeBob
So, the Republican platform of 1860 said that it was in favor of all that was right and good. Called anyone who opposed their platform bad people interested in disunion of the country. Accused others of doing EXACTLY what they were doing themselves (flooding Kansas with armed paramilitaries). Claimed reverence for the Constitution while specifically repudiating the actual powers granted in that constitution and promising to ignore any state legislatures, Congress, or the courts who said differently. Advocated for increased taxation and centralization of government power for the common good. Promised freebies and affirmed and encouraged unlimited immigration.

I mean, who wouldn’t be in favor of that, right? lol

Let's take your nonsense one issue at a time: What Constitutional provisions did the Republican Platform repudiate? Let's start with that.

They repudiated he power of the courts and Congress. Of course, they also championed states rights and decried the armed invasion of states for any reasons. So, obviously, rhey were full of schit snd their morals were highly changeable just like commies today.

Why are you refusing to "put-up"? You said the Republican party "repudiated the actual powers granted in the Constitution". I asked for evidence and you demurred. I'm asking again: what Federal Constitutional power did the Republicans or their platform repudiate? Also, you claimed they favored flooding Kansas with armed paramilitaries, when in fact the 1860 Platform (quote above) specifically denounces and opposes that activity.

Probably because he feels you're worthy of ignore.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by RHOD
So, the Republican platform of 1860 said that it was in favor of all that was right and good. Called anyone who opposed their platform bad people interested in disunion of the country. Accused others of doing EXACTLY what they were doing themselves (flooding Kansas with armed paramilitaries). Claimed reverence for the Constitution while specifically repudiating the actual powers granted in that constitution and promising to ignore any state legislatures, Congress, or the courts who said differently. Advocated for increased taxation and centralization of government power for the common good. Promised freebies and affirmed and encouraged unlimited immigration.

Let's take your nonsense one issue at a time: What Constitutional provisions did the Republican Platform repudiate? Let's start with that.

They repudiated he power of the courts and Congress. Of course, they also championed states rights and decried the armed invasion of states for any reasons. So, obviously, rhey were full of schit snd their morals were highly changeable just like commies today.

The South didn’t give a fly [bleep] about states rights when it came to the Fugitive Slave Act and the Dread Scott case. Basically forcing Northern States to recognize the rights of slave owners to their slaves even when they were in a state where slavery was supposed to be illegal.

So basically what you’re saying is that you agree with California today? Right? I mean if your ex-wife can get your kid to California, she can get him a sex change under the full protection of California law no matter what custody orders you have in your own state or what laws it has on the books about the issue. And you will be arrested and prosecuted if you go to California and try to forcefully bring your son back.

That’s the kind of “states rights” you’re championing. That’s what you agree is right.

Last edited by JoeBob; 12/29/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Oppressive tariff's on Southern goods was an ongoing complaint against Northern indifference to the Constitution:

https://www.abbevilleinstitute.org/the-tariff-as-a-motive-for-secession/

Secession had a “basic cause” that was evidenced by multiple “infractions.” Southerner William Yancey was certainly correct in analyzing the cause of secession to be more fundamental than just “slavery” or “tariffs;” both of which were in his word’s mere “symbols” of a more foundational cause, namely, Northern infidelity to the Constitution:

“My friends, there is one issue before you, and to all sensible men but one issue, and but two sides to that issue. The slavery question is but one of the symbols of that issue; the commercial question is but one of the symbols of that issue; the Union question is but one of those symbols; the only issue before this country in the canvass is the integrity and safety of the Constitution.”

Protectionist tariffs motivated secession as one of many “symbols” of Northern infidelity to the spirit and letter of the Constitution; just as slavery issues were yet more among many continual “occasions” of that same malady. It was this continuing infidelity that justified the unilateral secession of a Southern State just as James Madison had affirmed:

“And in the event of a failure of every Constitutional resort, and an accumulation of usurpations and abuses, rendering passive obedience and non-resistance a greater evil, than resistance and revolution, there can remain but one resort, the last of all: an appeal from the cancelled obligations of the Constitutional compact, to original rights and the law of self-preservation…. and it cannot be doubted that a single member of the Union, in the extremity supposed, but in that only, would have a right, as an extra and ultra-constitutional right, to make the appeal.” (James Madison to Edward Everett, 28 August 1830)

Southern secession was indeed a just cause when protectionist tariffs evidenced Northern contempt for the Constitution – the document Lincoln’s Secretary of War, Edwin Stanton, called “the rotten bottom rail of a Virginia abstraction.” (Memories of the Men Who Saved the Union, Col. Don Piatt, 1887)

gonehuntin, you've nailed it again. Northern tariffs on Southern goods pushed the Southern states to find customers elsewhere, and this infuriated the Northern states.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The South didn’t give a fly [bleep] about states rights when it came to the Fugitive Slave Act and the Dread Scott case. Basically forcing Northern States to recognize the rights of slave owners to their slaves even when they were in a state where slavery was supposed to be illegal.

So basically what you’re saying is that you agree with California today? Right? I mean if your ex-wife can get your kid to California, she can get him a sex change under the full protection of California law no matter what custody orders you have in your own state or what laws it has on the books about the issue. And you will be arrested and prosecuted if you go to California and try to forcefully bring your son back.

That’s the kind of “states rights” you’re championing. That’s what you agree is right.

JoeBob, This kid can't find his junk in his own underwear. Let alone have any argument one way or the other on the Civil War. He has zero command of history. And anything else that may involve picking up a book, for that matter.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R

More like if I come from a state were cannabis is legal, I should be able to ignore state laws where it is illegal and take my pot into those states without those states being able to enforce their own state laws against it. In fact those cannabis legal states need to actively support my rights to my cannabis. Switch out cannabis for enslaved people and that the Southerns version of “states rights” at the time.

Last edited by RHOD; 12/29/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Any hope of resolving the slavery issue and averting the Civil War ended with John Brown’s raid. It was at that point that since Brown’s purpose had been to cause a slave rebellion that would have seen countless innocent killed, Southerners realized it was no longer a somewhat abstract political question, but one where the other side wanted them dead. And it may have been different if Brown had been some lone nut, but he wasn’t. His harebrained scheme was funded by some of the wealthiest men in the country. They were so complicit that four of them fled the country to avoid a prosecution that never came. Northern newspapers called him a hero and lamented the failure of his scheme. Southerners saw this hateful rhetoric. They saw the act. They saw the government’s refusal to take any action against those who had funded and encouraged Brown. And they rightly concluded that you couldn’t share a country with people who wanted you dead and refused to enforce any laws on the books they felt like ignoring.

As such, attitudes hardened. Positions radicalized. And people began to prepare for the inevitable.

Seems that way today. Sanctuary cities ignore federal law. BLM rioters get no punishment or very lenient sentences while January 6th protesters rot in federal prison over misdemeanors. Joe Biden is openly bribed while crimes are invented against Trump. Billionaires openly fund the destruction of our country and white people are hunted with impunity in some of our cities while the rhetoric from every approved source blames them for everything wrong in the world today. All the while one side chants “democracy” like some sort of deranged mantra while doing everything it can to subvert wnd destroy it.
[Linked Image from 66.media.tumblr.com]

+1

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

More like if I come from a state were cannabis is legal, I should be able to ignore state laws where it is illegal and take my pot into those states without those states being able to enforce their own state laws against it. In fact those free states need to actively support my rights to my slaves. Switch out cannabis for enslaved people and that the Southerns version of “states rights” at the time.

What happens when one of these whackadoodle states (looking at you Oregon) outlaws animal husbandry and PETA starts stealing cows and turning them loose in Oregon? Are their owners expected to say, “Well, that’s the breaks, they made it to Oregon, they’re free now.”)

But just to be clear, you are completely fine with California allowing children to
be kidnapped from other states and mutilated because that is now their state law, right?

Last edited by JoeBob; 12/29/23.
RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
And when there is another civil war and the commies win it, they’ll make the history say they fought against the forces of racism and white supremacy who were trying to destroy democracy. And they’ll cherry pick sources saying as much and they’ll ignore and twist every other issue to fit that narrative. And the idiots on the Campfire equivalent will lap it up and run around congratulating themselves on how the “good guys” won another one.

Remember. Its the Victor who gets to "right/write" history.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PeeDeeRiver
Slavery was the root cause of secession for the South, and secession was the cause of the war for the North. That's where the issue lies. For the South, it WAS 100% about keeping slavery alive. For the North, it was 100% about keeping the tax base that was the South. It wasn't until Northen sentiment for the war started to sour that the "moral" issue of slavery became their rally point.

Sorry. There was more to it than that. Slavery is what the North hung their pious, virtuous and evocative hat on to veil their real anger.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by drop_point
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by bluefish
Here in the North when the was a student slavery was the given reason for the Civil War.

I recall it being said that the Civil War was about Economics, not Slavery..which is half true.

The high falutin' southern democraps could not maintain their standard of living and still provide a competitively priced product without slaves to do the work. This means that the war was was about Southern Democraps being able to CHOOSE to live lavishly at the expense of others.... Much like politicians do today.

I always read it was about states' rights (to own slaves). In fact, slavery was such an important part of the southern economy, states joining the CSA were denied the right to end slavery in their state per the CSA constitution. The notion the CSA was interested in states' rights didn't survive for very long. It was definitely about economics and at the end of the day; a bunch of poor people died in an attempt to keep the wealthy wealthy. That does not absolve the North as they imposed many taxes aimed at the South and to prevent the expansion of slavery to the West; allowing the North to out-vote the South.
It doesn't make any difference TODAY !! Slavery has been abolished pretty much since the un-Civil War. It's over !! No one today can walk up to anyone and ask them if they were a slave because they are all DEAD. So is this issue. If you are or were a slave it was not because it was legal or in America.

It's a dead issue and has been for 170 years. PUT IT TO REST !!..

Now, let's talk about issues affecting America today. There is no reason the word slavery and black Americans should ever come up in the same sentence again unless you are an American history teacher. Now and forever. It's over and there is no reason to dig that grave up again.

Any politician who brings it up again is just pandering to the black voters. LBJ paid black Americans off in 1965. The war on poverty was just a vote buying scam that both democRATs and leftist republicans forced upon the good taxpaying Americans who continue to pay that bill but get nothing in return.

kwg

I'm sorry you're so upset by this discussion. Maybe you should log out for a bit.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R

More like if I come from a state were cannabis is legal, I should be able to ignore state laws where it is illegal and take my pot into those states without those states being able to enforce their own state laws against it. In fact those free states need to actively support my rights to my slaves. Switch out cannabis for enslaved people and that the Southerns version of “states rights” at the time.

What happens when one of these whackadoodle states (looking at you Oregon) outlaws animal husbandry and PETA starts stealing cows and turning them loose in Oregon? Are their owners expected to say, “Well, that’s the breaks, they made it to Oregon, they’re free now.”)

But just to be clear, you are completely fine with California allowing children to
be kidnapped from other states and mutilated because that is now their state law, right?

So you’re comparing people of a different race than you to cattle and calling the states that had banned slavery whackadoodle states?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the truth no longer matters, only the agenda is considered.

Liberalism is a mental disorder

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

So you’re comparing people of a different race than you to cattle and calling the states that had banned slavery whackadoodle states?

They were, in fact, at the time, property. And, no, I’m calling certain states today whackadoodle states.

See, I know it’s hard for an overly emotional person of limited intellect such as yourself to understand, but the point is that if one state is allowed to invalidate the property rights of another for any reason, there is no end to it. And no union of states can survive in that condition.

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Lincoln decreed that a State which voluntarily joined the Union couldn't voluntarily *leave* the Union.

"We the People"

NOT "We the States"

He also made the claim that no prominent Southerner prior to the war gave a speech that cited states rights or tariffs as a reason for secession, the only reason given was slavery.

Lincoln didn't argue against slavery. His entire focus was "to preserve the Union".

If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that.

I take it you’ve never read or listened to the Lincoln/Douglas debates.

Yes, during most of his Presidency Lincoln’s overwhelming concern was the preservation of the Union because it was falling apart. But, to say Lincoln didn’t argue against slavery is a statement profoundly ignorant of US history.

Last edited by RHOD; 12/29/23.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Doesn't hunt. check
doesn't fish. check
wants to ban firearms. check
doesn't kn ow basic history. check

"We the People"

NOT "We the States"

Yes, during most of his Presidency Lincoln’s overwhelming concern was the preservation of the Union because it was falling apart. But, to say Lincoln didn’t argue against slavery is a statement profoundly ignorant of US history.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ribka
Doesn't hunt. check
doesn't fish. check

"We the People"

NOT "We the States"

Don’t forget that he supports kids getting their peckers cut off.

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by ribka
Doesn't hunt. check
doesn't fish. check

"We the People"

NOT "We the States"

Don’t forget that he supports kids getting their peckers cut off.

Lincoln supported kids getting their peckers cut off?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Stophel
Hmm... I wonder if the seceding states ever did like, oh, I don't know, like an official declaration for the causes of their secession. I wonder what they would say....
Didn't they?

Yes they did. The disagreement over slavery was the reason for their secession in their own words.

Listen to what JoeBob is saying, you ignorant commie fugk. I'm not even going to bless you with another well-thought-out, class response. You don't deserve it..

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 21, 1234, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,399
Posts18,527,916
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.