Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Assuming it’s gold ringed produced, call it the ‘vx-classic’ maybe 3 variations keep it vx3hd or vari-x3 technology (unless it can be done better for less)…
I was really pissed when vortex did away the the razor lh line, that was great lineup IMO. It also filled a roll they weren’t in at the time and it was semi-competitive with the European offerings.

It’s damned frustrating!

If at first you don't succeed; shoot, shoot again
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Basically, you're yelling at clouds because you don't like the locking CDS turret?

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got a pile of 2-7, 3-9, 2.5-8 and 6x scopes with BDC reticles. I'll not part with any of them. When it's time to dial, SWFA or Nightforce will be getting my business, but I don't need or want anything beyond 10x. Still, having said that, I don't think it's especially hard to find "standard" scopes, although Leupold's aesthetics have gone into the crapper.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Iclimb
Same reason you can hardly get a mfg like Winchester to run a m70 with blued steel and walnut…

Listen i know there are used options etc but I’m just saying…WTF

I understand it’s marketing and it’s what is in but it seems to me that they have terrible overlap on their models…Jesus, how many turreted, w/ segmented reticle, scopes does a company have to produce? Need to bug SWFA to do a “hunter line” simple sleek light hunting scopes!

searching midway and filter the search for “min power 1x”….proceed to get pissed!
Looks like trijicon might have an option or two. But bordering that affordability line
Saw a nice nightforce $4350 ‘ish

It’s frustrating! Leupold do a “campfire run” wink

Just go down to wallyworld, they have what you're looking for.

I love how old timers care more about looks than actual function. O suppose it's because they spend far more time looking at s hit instead of using it. All this just to put it in a safe and never use it lol

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 12/29/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Assuming it’s gold ringed produced, call it the ‘vx-classic’ maybe 3 variations keep it vx3hd or vari-x3 technology (unless it can be done better for less)…
I was really pissed when vortex did away the the razor lh line, that was great lineup IMO. It also filled a roll they weren’t in at the time and it was semi-competitive with the European offerings.

It’s damned frustrating!

Why do you care what Leupold and Vortex do? Better options are available than what those two companies offer. If you're sentimental about Leupold of old - they left you, you didn't leave them - so feel comfortable moving on to Trijicon.

IC B2

Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Same reason you can hardly get a mfg like Winchester to run a m70 with blued steel and walnut…

I understand it’s marketing and it’s what is in but it seems to me that they have terrible overlap on their models…Jesus, how many turreted, w/ segmented reticle, scopes does a company have to produce? Need to bug SWFA to do a “hunter line” simple sleek light hunting scopes!

searching midway and filter the search for “min power 1x”….proceed to get pissed!
Looks like trijicon might have an option or two. But bordering that affordability line

I love how old timers care more about looks than actual function. O suppose it's because they spend far more time looking at s hit instead of using it. All this just to put it in a safe and never use it lol

You couldn’t be more wrong about that….
I love how youngsters follow marketing wank instead of using what works…
“Walley world” yeah not likely.
I’m far from an old timer!

Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback

It’s damned frustrating!

Why do you care what Leupold and Vortex do? Better options are available than what those two companies offer. If you're sentimental about Leupold of old - they left you, you didn't leave them - so feel comfortable moving on to Trijicon.

Point me to a better option? Trijicon is maybe the closest but not the biggest fan of them.

Aside from a few models I’d never choose Leupold. Honestly I’ve seen over a dozen failures from their middle of the road offerings to the top of the line (at the time). Fact remains for certain rifles they were the best game in town!

Last edited by Iclimb; 12/29/23.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

I’m not sure what this means. But I’ve used rifles a bunch. I’ve had rifles ride 100’s of miles on a pack as well as in a saddle scabbard. I don’t want a 23 plus oz scope mounted 2” above the bore. I also don’t want extension rings to make a scope fit either. I want something simple, low, with a couple of hash marks to get me to 500 yards quickly and hold zero. That’s it. I’ve shot a lot of game with that recipe.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Hunters and what they need are no longer driving the market. Hunter numbers are way down. Rifle shooters numbers are way up. They want rifles and optics suited for shooting at paper and steel.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback

It’s damned frustrating!

Point me to a better option? Trijicon is maybe the closest but not the biggest fan of them.

Aside from a few models I’d never choose Leupold. Honestly I’ve seen over a dozen failures from their middle of the road offerings to the top of the line (at the time). Fact remains for certain rifles they were the best game in town!

Burris Fullfield II in the $200 price range (and from everything I've read, they are better than many scopes costing hundreds more - Burris did a great job with that scope)
Trijicon Accupoint in the $600 price range

I'm thankful for those two good options considering all the lousy scopes sold today and in the past.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JMR40
Hunters and what they need are no longer driving the market. Hunter numbers are way down. Rifle shooters numbers are way up. They want rifles and optics suited for shooting at paper and steel.

This is so true, 30mm tubes and larger being all the rage.

When hunters are wanting light weight, and a product that is reliable.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

I’m not sure what this means. But I’ve used rifles a bunch. I’ve had rifles ride 100’s of miles on a pack as well as in a saddle scabbard. I don’t want a 23 plus oz scope mounted 2” above the bore. I also don’t want extension rings to make a scope fit either. I want something simple, low, with a couple of hash marks to get me to 500 yards quickly and hold zero. That’s it. I’ve shot a lot of game with that recipe.

Ok. Not real sure what that has to do with my post. So you have personal idiosyncrasies for scopes. Cool. Keep b itching I guess.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 12/29/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Originally Posted by JMR40

This is so true, 30mm tubes and larger being all the rage.

When hunters are wanting light weight, and a product that is reliable.

There is still an entire line of lightweight, 1” Leupolds.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Ok. Not real sure what that has to do with my post. So you have personal idiosyncrasies for scopes. Cool. Keep b itching I guess.

I’m not bitching. But honestly don’t know what your post even meant.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I just shake my head every time is see the uber tacticool LPVO mentioned. I was using 1-4X, 1.75-6X, and 2-7X 40 years ago. Still do.
1-4x or 1.75-6 are LPVO.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Yup me too! With some decent glass. That’s what makes me frustrated, simply Everytime I look they’ve added some coating costing many hundreds of dollars more, added turrets, mil-inspired reticles and weight. It’s too bad. You have good taste in the necessities!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Simple scopes are still made if one knows where to look.

Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Burris Fullfield II in the $200 price range (and from everything I've read, they are better than many scopes costing hundreds more - Burris did a great job with that scope)

I'm thankful for those two good options considering all the lousy scopes sold today and in the past.

Looked on the Burris website and it shows the Fullfield ii, the entire line, as “discontinued”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Looked on the Burris website and it shows the Fullfield ii, the entire line, as “discontinued”
Thinking the Droptine could have replaced it. Maybe the FF IV is supposed to be the replacement, no idea.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
another point would be who wants to pay for all the tacti cool when I'd rather spend the same money on better glass and coatings and simpler retical and less bells and whistles plus the weight savings

Last edited by ldholton; 12/29/23.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (6MMWASP, 260Remguy, 257_X_50, 450yukon, 79S, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,628 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,757
Posts18,476,385
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.