-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Less than 5mm/quarter inch compared to 1 inch, hardly "bulbous".

Never seen a 10 oz 3-9 or 2.5-10.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/31/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
There's plenty of great lower powered smaller options out there. Fact is there's much better optics available now than an decade or two ago. There's wonderful LPVO optics out there in abundance that have high and low profile turrents and reticle options for everyone. We're in an golden age of optics where we have lots of options and even some of the Chi-com stuff is really good. Price points are all over the place and there's literally something for everyone if you look. I'm thankful the days where Fudd optics were the only option are a thing of the past. Today there's soemthing for everyone.

You summed it up pretty well. Just picked up an E1 3-9x50 cheap as a spare. I see lots of classic used for sale as well if
I want to go “period correct” or just slim and trim. Don’t have any of the Gen2 S1 Sightrons yet, but the specs look pretty good, more clicks available than most 1” scopes.

The 30mm LPVOs aren’t too big, and the views are impressive.
You gotta be shyttin me. Golden age of hunting scopes my ass. We lost the entire Nikon line, which included many light, trim, 1" scopes in the 1-4, 2-7 and 3-9 power range with simple Nikoplex reticles. I have a couple of the 2-7x32's and love em. Bright, clear, light, compact. We also lost the entire Weaver line which included the Japanese manufactured 1-3x20, 2.5-7x32, 3-9x38, 2-10x38, 2.5x20, 4x32 and 6x38 all with simple duplex reticles. I have several and they're also good hunting scopes with the same attributes, bright, clear, light, compact. I don't see anything out there that comes remotely close to replacing those scopes. The bulbous, over weight and unfortunately extremely numerous 30mm LPVO's don't come close to being a suitable replacement.
Pretty close replacement here. Wouldn't mind getting a couple more.

https://www.bushnell.com/scopes/sho...24-riflescope-multi-x/BU-REL1424BS3.html
I guess if you consider a 15.5 oz. scope "pretty close" to a trim 8-10 oz. scope. I don't, and I've had more South Korean made Bushnells crap out on me than any other. A big no thanks. I won't go near those things anymore.

Lol you're bit ching about 5oz? Five f ucking ounces. Gawd dam Fudd boomers are a fickle bunch...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
There's plenty of great lower powered smaller options out there. Fact is there's much better optics available now than an decade or two ago. There's wonderful LPVO optics out there in abundance that have high and low profile turrents and reticle options for everyone. We're in an golden age of optics where we have lots of options and even some of the Chi-com stuff is really good. Price points are all over the place and there's literally something for everyone if you look. I'm thankful the days where Fudd optics were the only option are a thing of the past. Today there's soemthing for everyone.

You summed it up pretty well. Just picked up an E1 3-9x50 cheap as a spare. I see lots of classic used for sale as well if
I want to go “period correct” or just slim and trim. Don’t have any of the Gen2 S1 Sightrons yet, but the specs look pretty good, more clicks available than most 1” scopes.

You gotta be shyttin me. Golden age of hunting scopes my ass. We lost the entire Nikon line, which included many light, trim, 1" scopes in the 1-4, 2-7 and 3-9 power range with simple Nikoplex reticles. I have a couple of the 2-7x32's and love em. Bright, clear, light, compact. We also lost the entire Weaver line which included the Japanese manufactured 1-3x20, 2.5-7x32, 3-9x38, 2-10x38, 2.5x20, 4x32 and 6x38 all with simple duplex reticles. I have several and they're also good hunting scopes with the same attributes, bright, clear, light, compact. I don't see anything out there that comes remotely close to replacing those scopes. The bulbous, over weight and unfortunately extremely numerous 30mm LPVO's don't come close to being a suitable replacement.

I guess if you consider a 15.5 oz. scope "pretty close" to a trim 8-10 oz. scope. I don't, and I've had more South Korean made Bushnells crap out on me than any other. A big no thanks. I won't go near those things anymore.

Lol you're bit ching about 5oz? Five f ucking ounces. Gawd dam Fudd boomers are a fickle bunch...
And less than 2/10 inch.

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I for one would love to see the VX-3i lineup return with 1.5-5x, 2.5-8x and 3.5-10x offerings. Matte and gloss finishes with standard duplex, 1” tubes and nothing larger than a 40mm objective. Leupold for example, could make them available only through their website if sales volume didn’t merit a retail setting.

I think to cater to only long range shooting is a huge mistake. While it may be what’s in vogue, there are still plenty of hunters and shooters out there who don’t want or need the Hubble telescope attached to their favorite hunting rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boomer thread. Pass the Geritol

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by goalie
I prefer some stuff that isn't available anymore as well but if it's not available you find something as close to what you want and move on.

As far as weights go a few oz doesn't concern me at all. If it's ounces I need to shave I can do that easily by just cutting back on a few small items or carry 3 less shells in my pocket.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer some stuff that isn't available anymore as well but if it's not available you find something as close to what you want and move on.

As far as weights go a few oz doesn't concern me at all. If it's ounces I need to shave I can do that easily by just cutting back on a few small items or carry 3 less shells in my pocket.

Yeah, but, considering we're at a point in time when you can get a scope that will most likely actually track repeatedly for less than a mortgage payment, it's hard to buy into the "woe is me" stuff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You gotta be shyttin me. We lost the entire Nikon line, which included many light, trim, 1" scopes in the 1-4, 2-7 and 3-9 power range with simple Nikoplex reticles. I have a couple of the 2-7x32's and love em. Bright, clear, light, compact. We also lost the entire Weaver line which included the Japanese manufactured 1-3x20, 2.5-7x32, 3-9x38, 2-10x38, 2.5x20, 4x32 and 6x38 all with simple duplex reticles. I have several and they're also good hunting scopes with the same attributes, bright, clear, light, compact. I don't see anything out there that comes remotely close to replacing those scopes. The bulbous, over weight and unfortunately extremely numerous 30mm LPVO's don't come close to being a suitable replacement.

Trust me, I‘d never shyt you Blackie. You’re a Campfire legend.

I don’t fret over a few ounces of scope weight when that weight comes with better glass, good reliability, and availability without the need to scrounge around for good oldies, which can be problematic IME. Within limits, balance matters more to me than weight. We lost those scopes you love so dearly because not enough people were buying them to keep them in production along with the stuff people were actually buying. Lots of your old faves available online if you want to roll the dice.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

And less than 2/10 inch.
You might learn the value of a small ocular bell and power ring when trying to mount a scope as low as possible on a traditional lever action while still allowing the hammer to be cocked. The scopes on my Marlin levers weigh 9 oz. and allow the use of low Weaver and super low Burris Zees while still offering good clearance for the hammer. I don't want higher rings or an additional 6.5 oz. on top for absolutely zero gain.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

You gotta be shyttin me. We lost the entire Nikon line, which included many light, trim, 1" scopes in the 1-4, 2-7 and 3-9 power range with simple Nikoplex reticles. I have a couple of the 2-7x32's and love em. Bright, clear, light, compact. We also lost the entire Weaver line which included the Japanese manufactured 1-3x20, 2.5-7x32, 3-9x38, 2-10x38, 2.5x20, 4x32 and 6x38 all with simple duplex reticles. I have several and they're also good hunting scopes with the same attributes, bright, clear, light, compact. I don't see anything out there that comes remotely close to replacing those scopes. The bulbous, over weight and unfortunately extremely numerous 30mm LPVO's don't come close to being a suitable replacement.

Trust me, I‘d never shyt you Blackie. You’re a Campfire legend.

I don’t fret over a few ounces of scope weight when that weight comes with better glass, good reliability, and availability without the need to scrounge around for good oldies, which can be problematic IME. Within limits, balance matters more to me than weight. We lost those scopes you love so dearly because not enough people were buying them to keep them in production along with the stuff people were actually buying. Lots of your old faves available online if you want to roll the dice.
Better glass my ass. I've been killing enough deer every season to feed my family venison several times a week year round with these scopes for decades. They've for sure been durable enough and the glass good enough. The fuggin deer are out there all day long. I don't need to shoot them by the dark of the moon, see the fleas in their ears or shoot them over in the next zip code. Anybody who does perhaps ain't the hunter they'd like to think they are. Spending the money to obtain the latest fly weight rifles then putting an extra half pound to pound of scope with superfluous glass/features on top doesn't make a bit of sense.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Maybe not but my 1-4 weighs 9 oz vs 15.5 for that fat fuggin South Korean POS and I sure don't want or need a 3-9 or 2.5-10 on my woods rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Maybe not but my 1-4 weighs 9 oz vs 15.5 for that fat fuggin South Korean POS and I sure don't want or need a 3-9 or 2.5-10 on my woods rifles.
You are the one who mentioned them.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Yeah, but, considering we're at a point in time when you can get a scope that will most likely actually track repeatedly for less than a mortgage payment, it's hard to buy into the "woe is me" stuff
Yeah, just what I always wanted and needed to kill deer at woods ranges, a scope that tracks repeatedly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, just what I always wanted and needed to kill deer at woods ranges, a scope that tracks repeatedly.
Consistent adjustments are pretty nice.

No need for 1 click to move POI 1/4" then the next is over 1/2".

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Wow, what a fuggin hardship that must be !

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

None of my 3-9's weigh as much as that 1-4.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Don't require you gear to operate as it should or as advertised?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Bet the ones you mentioned are within 1-2 oz.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Better they're with 1-2 oz.
Actually 3.5, almost a quarter pound and they're in a totally different class use wise than that 1-4.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Don't require you gear to operate as it should or as advertised?
All I need is to get it zero'd and stay there. They do that just fine as proven through long service and many dead animals. I sure as hell ain't gonna be fiddle fuuckin with the adjustments constantly.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 49 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,443
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.