Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Back to OP- perhaps you overlooked the Vortex Diamondback and *still available* Fujinon Accurion? They may be the same scope in fact (Vortex being current seller).

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Wow, what a fuggin hardship that must be !

Ironic, coming from the guy bi tching and moaning over 5 ounces. Not pounds......OUNCES.

These feeble old tards are something else lol

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Ironic, coming from the guy bi tching and moaning over 5 ounces. Not pounds......OUNCES.

It's 6.5 ounces you fuuckin mouthy retard, which is significant.. And I'm not all that old or feeble either.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J

It's 6.5 ounces you fuuckin mouthy retard.. And you'd find I'm not all that old or feeble either.

Lol bi tch lol

old piece of s hit scope that might be light enough

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 12/31/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The idea that accurate, repeatable adjustments for windage and elevation are NOT needed is amusing.

Even if you "set and forget," you have to "set."

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by goalie
Yeah, and I don't seem to have any trouble with that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Boomer thread. Pass the Geritol
I prefer some stuff that isn't available anymore as well but if it's not available you find something as close to what you want and move on.

As far as weights go a few oz doesn't concern me at all. If it's ounces I need to shave I can do that easily by just cutting back on a few small items or carry 3 less shells in my pocket.

Yeah, but, considering we're at a point in time when you can get a scope that will most likely actually track repeatedly for less than a mortgage payment, it's hard to buy into the "woe is me" stuff
Yeah, just what I always wanted and needed to kill deer at woods ranges, a scope that tracks repeatedly.
Consistent adjustments are pretty nice.

No need for 1 click to move POI 1/4" then the next is over 1/2".
Don't require you gear to operate as it should or as advertised?
All I need is to get it zero'd and stay there. They do that just fine as proven through long service and many dead animals. I sure as hell ain't gonna be fiddle fuuckin with the adjustments constantly.
I have no need to "dial" as I am a set it and forget it guy but like the stuff I spend my $$ on to work as it is supposed to.

Just me.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I still have use for trim 1" scopes, and I'm glad that there's still some good options available for new purchase. But I don't bemoan the fact that the market is changing. Any company has to offer what sells in order to stay in business. How sustainable is the market for low price, low magnification, "classic" deer hunting scopes with simple reticles when there's already 40 years' worth of them out there? Sure they still get the job done in the majority of scenarios. But they don't exactly wear out and they generally last a very long time.

Plenty are available used. If you're looking for something very specific, I've had great luck with WTB adds in classifieds.

A lot of good options for new purchase have been listed in this thread.

And yes, I agree with whoever pointed it out that this thread has classic "boomer" signatures all over it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Like many you've been duped intio believing you need things you don't, like scopes that track repeatedly when you have no need to dial. I have 40 year old scopes that still zero easily and stay there. Some of them don't move exactly 1/4" per click but I haven't found that any great hardship. Some of my old scopes that are still in use don't even have "clicks". My heavens what a terrible obstacle to overcome.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Like many you've been duped intio believing you need things you don't, like scopes that track repeatedly when you have no need to dial. I have 40 year old scopes that still zero easily and stay there. Some of them don't move exactly 1/4" per click but I haven't found that any great hardship. Some of my old scopes that are still in use don't even have "clicks". My heavens what a terrible obstacle to overcome.

I've got a safe full of old and new levers, pumps, and carbine bolts. Most have low X scopes attached; many of those scopes have friction only turrets. They work very well for certain applications. But I like to hunt in a wide variety of locations, and I like to shoot a lot, sometimes at game and targets that are far off. Why shouldn't I have gear that's well suited to those applications the same as I have rigs well suited to close up shots at moving game in heavy cover?

Maybe you've been lulled into a false sense of security in that your rigs are more relevant than they really are for scenarios outside of your own backyard?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The idea that accurate, repeatable adjustments for windage and elevation are NOT needed is amusing.

Yes - and the erector system should be able to take punishment and maintain zero, as well a track correctly. I have a mountain of "set and forget" Leupold BDC scopes. I like their weight, reticle options, and size. But I'm under no illusion they are great scopes. They're not. Leupold's tracking and erector system sucks, and they need to pull their head out and do an overhaul. There's no reason a scope can't be built with a reliably tracking erector system that can take some drops, and keep going - and it should be able to do this with a reasonable weight.

Like I said, if I'm going to dial it'll be something other than Leupold.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Starbuck

I've got a safe full of old and new levers, pumps, and carbine bolts. Most have low X scopes attached; many of those scopes have friction only turrets. They work very well for certain applications. But I like to hunt in a wide variety of locations, and I like to shoot a lot, sometimes at game and targets that are far off. Why shouldn't I have gear that's well suited to those applications the same as I have rigs well suited to close up shots at moving game in heavy cover?

Maybe you've been lulled into a false sense of security in that your rigs are more relevant than they really are for scenarios outside of your own backyard?
Umm, I believe you have PLENTY of choices in scopes suited for shooting "far off". It's trim, light weight, low power scopes with simple reticles well suited to those close range woods carbines that you'll have little to choose from.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have to wonder why a Billy Badass like Blackie can't just get it done with iron sights? They would be the ultimate in lightweight and reliability, no?

Woods ranges, hunting your way closer, no low light issues, blah blah - shouldn't need a scope at all playa.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Have to wonder why a Billy Badass like Blackie can't just get it done with iron sights? They would be the ultimate in lightweight and reliability, no?

Woods ranges, hunting your way closer, no low light issues, blah blah - shouldn't need a scope at all playa.
I have killed many dozens of deer with iron sights. My most used and in fact my only deer rifles for several years when I was younger were so equipped. My eye sight is not what it used to be and I now prefer a scope, though I do still occasionally use an iron sighted 94 Winchester and killed a deer with it as recently as the 2021 season.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Yeah, sure, smart guy; but that doesn't make for good complaining!

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Starbuck

Yeah, sure, smart guy; but that doesn't make for good complaining!
The complaint is a legitimate one as is evident by several threads recently by folks lamenting the lack of simple, light weight, low power hunting scopes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am partial to the traditional 1" tube simple scopes, because I like traditional rifles and the big scopes with turrets look out of place on them.
I own a bunch of the dreaded leupolds for this very reason, the majority are 6x36, but have some 4X, 2X and 2-7 & 3-9 in the mix.
I also like the lightweight of the leupolds, although I am pretty sure the detracts from the reliability.
I have weeded through Leupolds for years to get the ones I trust. Hopefully they won't give up before i do.
All that being said I also have a bunch of 30mm dialable scopes for long range fun. I am not really a long range hunter.
A current favorite is the Athlon Midas tac. I hate protruding windage dials on any scope.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It's 6.5 ounces you fuuckin mouthy retard, which is significant.. And I'm not all that old or feeble either.
I agree - 6.5 ounces is noticeably significant on a scope.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
In close woods type of ranges there's electronic and prism sights that are very tough.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a Bushnell 3-9 Legend at wallymarks about 6 months ago for $150. I see Midway USA has the Prime 3-9 with the illuminated center dot for $200. If I had another rifle with no scope I would buy the Bushnell Prime because I want a simple scope as well. The only "gadget" is the red illuminated center dot.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (16gage, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 1234, 64 invisible), 3,270 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,750
Posts18,476,179
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.