Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The Hornie 75gr HPBT is King there. Hint.

Why do you like that bullet in a fast twist 223?

GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Who doesn't like that bullet in a fast twist. 223? It's about the best you can fit in an AR, and they shoot just as good as the ELD in my Tikka, if not a hair better in group size. Of course that bit of difference is gained back plus some in the wind with the ELD, but I digress.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PeeDeeRiver

Who doesn't like that bullet in a fast twist. 223? It's about the best you can fit in an AR, and they shoot just as good as the ELD in my Tikka, if not a hair better in group size. Of course that bit of difference is gained back plus some in the wind with the ELD, but I digress.

My question was why?

Accuracy?
LR performance?
Performance on game?

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

My question was why?

Accuracy?
LR performance?
Performance on game?

For me, all three in an AR. Plus cost/performance, which is really why I love em.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

My question was why?

Accuracy?
LR performance?
Performance on game?

For me, all three in an AR. Plus cost/performance, which is really why I love em.

Thanks

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

My question was why?

Accuracy?
LR performance?
Performance on game?

Thanks

Yeah man, no problem. Like I said, it's really a cost for what you get type of thing, for me at least. Seems like a lot of folks love the SMKs, but Sierra is waaaay to proud of em, MK262 be damned.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The 75 hornady hpbt does a lot better on flesh than the 77 smk as well in my experience

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've been using the Hornady 75g hpbt as an all around bullet in my arms and 8 twist tikka for about a dozen years. I used to buy them bulk pretty cheap. I tried some new rmr 69g and then went back to the Hornady. I might try the rmrs again when they get the polishing media out of the tips. I'm not sure if it effects expansion but I know the Hornady 75 works.

I also really like the 88 eld in my 22 Creedmoor. I've got a couple of rem700 all 223s I picked up years back at a Walmart closeout. I need to get some 18 or 20" 7 twist barrels for them. I thought about just doing some criterion remage from northland and started that route but got distracted with Arcs and other projects. My boys are 11 and 8 right now and I want them to start shooting more long range. Some 7 twist 223 700s slinging 88s seems like the perfect things for them to learn on.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 02/10/24.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’m a fan of the 75 ELDM from a 1-8” Tikka.

Energy is stupid. Velocity matters.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's the top velocity any of you get with a 88 ELD out of a 5.56?

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I single fed them (88’s) in an 18” barrel and dope at long yards led me to believe 2600 start.

Not been disappointed yet on 77gr tmk.. but for sure they aren’t as ez to get to shoot as 75gr

And the more I shoot the less I believe in “tuning” loads for anything let alone an ar15.. that’s influenced by stick and form and a bit of regurgitating, but man my life’s a lot easier when it’s good bullet, case full of stable powder. Lapua brass.. bullet at max mag box length.. find pressure then back off half a grain… gun 5 shots. If it’s small and round.

If that doesn’t work make a change. If a 223 won’t shoot 75gr eld-m, 77gr tmk or 75gr bthp then it’s a tomatoe stake or a bullet hoser for 55gr fmj.

Mass produce.. Shoot a 10 shot zero. Shoot DOPE. Fill the freezer.

Haven’t seen with my own eyes 75gr bthp at distance.. the low bc means it’s a sub 400 yard gun if we think bullet upset isn’t happening below 2000fps from a vanilla 16” ar15.. that’s not a super useful rifle for me.. so 77gr tmk or 75 eld-m.

That’s all I got.. I gotta get off the wallet and finally just buy 10-15,000 black hills TMK and never touch the reloading handle before hunting season.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 80 SMK is a Goat Fhuqk. Hint……….
Yes, it sucks. It's only won more 600 yard Service Rifle matches than any other bullet.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

My question was why?

Accuracy?
LR performance?
Performance on game?
Old info I know... But the hornady 75 bthp never was the most accurate bullet available. It certainly did not do well with lots of pressure on its base.
OTOH its pefromance on game was really not bad at all.

Cost vs bullet performance on game is a non issue with us. Simply cannot kill enough game that the cost matters. Use a bullet for its performance not its cost.

That said we still have a few thousand rounds loaded with 75 bthp and they are kept in the trucks and houses ready to go.

These days I would almost think one could find better. But you never know.

And yep Tyrone. Both are correct. Its far from the best. But its won so many matches its not even funny. So many more. matches than a person that runs his mouth constantly could never win.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You CLUELESS Crying Dumb Fhuqks are a hoot,as you vindicate your Professional Victim status,via perpetual Hurt Feeler Reports...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Neither of you Fhuqktards can remember the last time you fired a live round,or went Outside,as you Whine from your Couchbound Kchunts. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot a 50 BMG yesterday. No, I'm not giving you pics.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That must be VERY exciting,for someone like you...you "lucky". Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Keep stealing pics and "living" vicariously,you Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit. 75 BTHP Hornie here,to fuel your DREAMS. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I get a chuckle every time I see that picture. Thanks. It reminds me of what a know-nothing idiot you are.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's VERY "surprising",that besides being a CLUELESS Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit,that you just "happen" to be a thief,up to and including your avatar...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination,Pretend and Stolen Pics are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Anyone kill anything with the Nosler Custom Competition 77 grainers? I bought a bunch years ago, worked up an unspectacular load and moved on.
Good enough accuracy for hunting and informal long range bombing.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.