Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by ingwe
It only took four posts before someone replied with something the OP didn't ask about.....

The first reply took care of that actually.

HR IC

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
It only took four posts before someone replied with something the OP didn't ask about.....

That must be some kind of record lol

Originally Posted by pathfinder76
No. G series Classics.

Thanks for the heads up. Had no idea.

Last edited by Igloo; 01/01/24.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I currently have three stainless Ruger Hawkeyes (7mm-08, .30-06, 35 Whelen) and a handful of pre-64 model 70s. I've owned newer model 70s as well.

I like them all and use them all (and others) for local hunts when the pressure to succeed is pretty low. But for my two recent 'big' hunts, I've taken stainless Hawkeyes with me. I took the Whelen on a black bear hunt on Vancouver Island last year, and took the .30-06 on a moose/caribou hunt in northern BC this year. They accounted for one bear and one caribou. To be honest it was a pretty easy hunt for the Whelen. But the '06 was in and out of boats for the first part of that hunt and then spent several days in and out of a scabbard on some pretty long horseback rides. Plenty of rain/sleet/etc. along the way.

The Hawkeyes are just so darn rugged, and they work. And I happen to be a big fan of their triggers, which are easy to work on. All of mine contain replacement trigger springs, and all have had the mating surfaces polished. The end result is a repeatable 2.5-3lb trigger of an open design that is pretty much fool-proof, and it takes less than an hour to do it.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. But at their price point, the Hawkeyes seem to me to have a lot of value.

SR

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Id just as soon have a Ruger m77 MKII. The Hawkeyes are nice though, but not even in the same ball park as a classic model 70 or pre 64 model 70. The only thing they really have going for them is they make them in left hand, for the guys that think with their right mind. Other than that, the Rugers still have a corn cob rough action, and you always have to work them over quite a bit, even before they are half as nice as a good ol Winchester model 70. I have no complaints either way about glass bedding either rifle. They are both easy to do, but require differing processes. If you know how to work them over, both rifles shoot damn well. I've had exceptionally accurate 77's, and pre 64's. I think the pre 64 and classic would have an edge in that department though, if we really wanted to pick nits. The Winchesters carry more cartridges in the mag box, while the Rugers generally carry 4, the Winchesters generally carry 5. The Winchester trigger is adjustable, where the Ruger is not. Both easily tuned and simple. The LC6 generally doesn't need a spring, as some suggest. Just a slight clip of the factory one, and a quick polish. That gets it down to a safe 2.5 pounds. All I need in a hunting rifle trigger. I much prefer the shape of the safety on the Winchester model 70, vs the little sharp edged cast one they use on the 77. YMMV, but the model 70 is a better rifle, when all is said and done.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Igloo
From a mechanical point of view, merits of each action etc....and removing nostalgia, sentimentality and the like, what do you guys who know a lot about both think?

Is one better than the other?
Would posit that the 77 Hawkeye is safer in the event of a gas escape, after reading all the threads I could. and the Winchester's trigger can be cleaned up better. But is there anything being overlooked here?

Why compare just pre-64's to ruger Hawkeyes? What about current model 70's? Ruger hawkeye is simpler rifle than even a pre-64.

Current model 70 vs hawkeyes:

Too easy:
Ruger has an excellent ring system. Rings always included.
No rings included on the winchester

Ruger has a simple one piece open trigger
Winchester has grime-collecting box trigger

One piece bolt on the ruger never fails
Winchester has a cheesy press-fit 2 piece bolt that can fail

Ruger is safer in the event of a ruptured case
Winchester, no protection.

Currently, ruger better equips handy carbines with rugged open sights that are tailored specifically for Alaskan hunting conditions

Winchester does not

Rugers Hawkeyes are made in America
Winchester model 70 production gets passed around all over the place.

When the going gets really harsh.......ruger every time.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 01/02/24.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
From a mechanical point of view, merits of each action etc....and removing nostalgia, sentimentality and the like, what do you guys who know a lot about both think?

Would posit that the 77 Hawkeye is safer in the event of a gas escape, after reading all the threads I could. and the Winchester's trigger can be cleaned up better. But is there anything being overlooked here?

Why compare just pre-64's to ruger Hawkeyes? What about current model 70's? Ruger hawkeye is simpler rifle than even a pre-64.

Too easy:

Currently, ruger better equips handy carbines with rugged open sights that are tailored specifically for Alaskan hunting conditions

Winchester does not

Well said....

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Too easy:

Winchester does not

I agree with the above. I like both. If i was to go off grid I'd take the Ruger over the Winchester.

I really enjoy the African Hawkeye's especially in 6.5x55 and 9.3x62.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
IMO Ruger 77's are clunky, cheaply cast pieces of crap. The rings are poorly machined, and the recievers are often not straight. The actually beat they crap put of them with hammers to straighten when the come out of the mold. These two factors cause nasty ring marks. The triggers are also garbage, they are heavy and the shape of the action floor plate and bolt handle look like crap. Then there is the fact that the action length isn't well suited to magnum cartridges. Accuracy is also not that great although most of my expiereance is with boat paddle era guns.
I would take a winchester model 70 classic of any era or a pre 64 over a ruger 77. I would also take a ruger american over a 77 any day.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I have or still own models of both as well as ones outside your limits. Winchesters include a 1938 M70 pre-war Standard Grade in .30 Govt '06 and a 1954 M70 FW '06. Rugers that fit your parameters are a ,223 Hawkeye UL All Weather and an All weather Gunsite Scout in .308 Winchester. .

I am not sure one is better than the other. Staying away from the Classics makes the comparison simpler. They were produced in different eras and that may be the big differences. .

Your comments on gas handling are valid. You could improve the Model 70's with a bolt flange but few did.

Trigger wise the Model 70's can be adjusted more easily. On my pr-war Model 70, I did have to cut 1/2 coil off the trigger spring to get pull down to my desired three pounds.

The Ruger triggers take a bit more work. An Ernies's trigger spring and a tiny bit of polishing and I have given good results.

With rifle stocks the Ruger is a very good design nice looking and synthetic, vital where I hunt.

The Winchester stocks were not to my liking. I put an early Pacific Research stock on the pre war and reduced weight and got a drop more suited to a scope iron sight combination. The FW stock was pretty good for handling. It was very prone to absorbing moisture and sweling especally when it froze. I credit two missed bull elk to that problem. I first installed a heavy Carbelite stock but later went with a Bansner which is still on it.

Iron Sights - Both Winchesters came with good iron sights. My Hawkeye UL did not. The Gunsite Scout came with excellent sights.

Scope Mounting - I find the drill and tapping method used by Winchester works better for me. It is more flexible. I have used Weaver, Warne, Leupold and Redfield mounts successully.

The Ruger dovetail system works very well if it fits the uses you want and rings are available. Get outside that and they become much more difficult. As an example, a friend struggled to mount a 30 mm scope on his .338 Win Mag Hawkeye.
Factory rings didn't work and going to bases that allowed using the sope used the built in slots for mounting. They weren't rated for the .338 Win Mags recoil. He had to get som drilling and tapping done.

Finish - Pre-64 Winchesters were blued and rust/glare are potential problems. While I refinished the FW to a matte black the pre-wars bluing has stood up remarkably.

With Hawkeyes I only puchase All-Weather versions. Potential problems are much reduced.

Safeties. I prefer the Winhester style but have had some issues with internal corrosion.

Fit and finish. For me, the Winchesters are far better done. My pre-war has as smooth an action as any rifleI have owned.

Last edited by Dancing Bear; 01/03/24.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
My pre-war has as smooth an action as any rifleI have owned.

Hear things like that a lot comparing the 2. The newest "p64" is 60 years old, think maybe 60 years of use has smoothed it out some vs a rifle with 3 months use in a new Hawkeye?

Me

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Too easy:

Winchester does not

He probably wasn't comparing the new BACO (Browning) to the Hawkeye, because as you have outlined, the Browning is a POS..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Teal
My pre-war has as smooth an action as any rifleI have owned.

Hear things like that a lot comparing the 2. The newest "p64" is 60 years old, think maybe 60 years of use has smoothed it out some vs a rifle with 3 months use in a new Hawkeye?

The pre 64's were smooth as butter, right out of the factory. I've had many new ones in my hand. My old gunsmith had many examples, still in the box. There's no comparison to the rough as a cob Ruger 77's vs. the pre 64's.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's no smoother feeling action than a pre-64 Win, not even the new Classic versions & surely not a Ruger, though, functionally, both of them work fine.

And as for aesthetics, I'll take either version of the Win's with a slicked up set of Conetrols instead of the ugly azzed Ruger rings.

About the only thing better on a Ruger is the feel of the stock when compared to an old pre-64 or a Classic Sporter, except for the Win FWT Classic (or push feed) which is very nice.

MM

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by JMR40
Don't forget the early Winchester Classics. They reintroduced CRF in 1992 or 93 and made them until they closed the New Haven factory in 2006. They are pre-64 clones with some minor changes. The rifles made prior to about 2000 are some of the best model 70's ever made IMO. There is no clear dividing line, but the closer you get to a 2006 production the greater odds of getting a bad one.

I like the Classics better than the Hawkeye and think they are at least as good as the Pre-64's.

This has been my experience as well.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Had them all. Now that im 50'ish and older my preference is Ruger, Mauser 98, M1917, and Mayfair. To me those are the essentials.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I like both but would go with the Winchester over the Ruger every time.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by filmjunkie4ever
I like both but would go with the Winchester over the Ruger every time.

Same here, I like my Rugers a bunch, but I love me some Pre 64 Model 70's.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Winchester doesn't make this little guy. It's stainless, pretty darn smooth, tough as $2 steak, trigger ain't half bad, short, and handy like a mini express rifle. It has irons that show up fast, at the moment an 1-5x Leupold I got for $15 and an Aimpoint 9000.

The upshot is I can throw it anywhere, drag it anywhere, and throw it in the snowbank and it works. It's always setup and ready to roll along with its little 308win scout brother.

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Too easy:

Winchester does not

He probably wasn't comparing the new BACO (Browning) to the Hawkeye, because as you have outlined, the Browning is a POS..

Exactly.

What's the point of that comparison?

Last edited by Igloo; 01/03/24.

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I have or still own models of both as well as ones outside your limits. Winchesters include a 1938 M70 pre-war Standard Grade in .30 Govt '06 and a 1954 M70 FW '06. Rugers that fit your parameters are a ,223 Hawkeye UL All Weather and an All weather Gunsite Scout in .308 Winchester. .

I am not sure one is better than the other. Staying away from the Classics makes the comparison simpler. They were produced in different eras and that may be the big differences. .

Your comments on gas handling are valid. You could improve the Model 70's with a bolt flange but few did.

Trigger wise the Model 70's can be adjusted more easily. On my pr-war Model 70, I did have to cut 1/2 coil off the trigger spring to get pull down to my desired three pounds.

The Ruger triggers take a bit more work. An Ernies's trigger spring and a tiny bit of polishing and I have given good results.

With rifle stocks the Ruger is a very good design nice looking and synthetic, vital where I hunt.

The Winchester stocks were not to my liking. I put an early Pacific Research stock on the pre war and reduced weight and got a drop more suited to a scope iron sight combination. The FW stock was pretty good for handling. It was very prone to absorbing moisture and sweling especally when it froze. I credit two missed bull elk to that problem. I first installed a heavy Carbelite stock but later went with a Bansner which is still on it.

Iron Sights - Both Winchesters came with good iron sights. My Hawkeye UL did not. The Gunsite Scout came with excellent sights.

Scope Mounting - I find the drill and tapping method used by Winchester works better for me. It is more flexible. I have used Weaver, Warne, Leupold and Redfield mounts successully.

The Ruger dovetail system works very well if it fits the uses you want and rings are available. Get outside that and they become much more difficult. As an example, a friend struggled to mount a 30 mm scope on his .338 Win Mag Hawkeye.
Factory rings didn't work and going to bases that allowed using the sope used the built in slots for mounting. They weren't rated for the .338 Win Mags recoil. He had to get som drilling and tapping done.

Finish - Pre-64 Winchesters were blued and rust/glare are potential problems. While I refinished the FW to a matte black the pre-wars bluing has stood up remarkably.

With Hawkeyes I only puchase All-Weather versions. Potential problems are much reduced.

Safeties. I prefer the Winhester style but have had some issues with internal corrosion.

Fit and finish. For me, the Winchesters are far better done. My pre-war has as smooth an action as any rifleI have owned.

Thank you, appreciate the time/effort of typing this all up.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (01Foreman400, Big1bud, beefan, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,427 guests, and 814 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.