Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I’ve always enjoyed our alternative methods season here in Missouri. I killed my first deer with a 50 caliber hawken in alternative season when I was 8. The last few years I take a 50 caliber inline with me most of the time, but always have a handgun with me for any shot I feel like I can make. I have several handguns that I could use but until this year I pretty much always took my super Blackhawk 44 mag, I’ve taken several deer with it. I carried 2 different 10mm’s the last couple years but never had any opportunity’s on the days I carried a 10mm.

This year for alternative season I decided to leave the inline in the safe and only hunt with handguns and not the 44 mag. I have a couple Colt SAA’s in 45 colt and 44-40, I generally prefer 44-40 but I’ve killed deer with 44-40 lever guns so I decided to go with a 45 Colt 5.5 2018 production SAA which was the only one I have that I purchased new. I load target rounds in 45 Colt but didn’t have any hunting ammo or time to get bullets and make a hunting load so I picked up some hornaday leverevelution and Barnes vor-tx, decided to go with the Barnes.

I killed my personal record buck with my bow a couple weeks ago so I’ve really just had meat hunting on my mind but do still have a buck tag. Saturday evening I had 3 doe’s come in and stop at 38 yards, I lined up on the biggest and she initially dropped and then stumbled about 20ft. Shot was behind the shoulder but high, the bullet stopped just short of reaching the ribs on the opposite side. I was very happy with the outcome and was sure a fun experience. Now I’m planning to branch out to a 357 magnum and 41 magnum for the remainder of the season and next year. For some reason I’ve never thought of 45 colt as much of a hunting round in a revolver but it will sure work.

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
It’s a dandy. I have enjoyed handgunning for deer for the last twenty years or so. I’m shooting a cast bullet out of a 6” Anaconda. Deer are not hard to harvest.

Last edited by Anchorite; 01/01/24.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.."

i before e except when your foreign neighbor keith received eight counterfeit beige sleighs from feisty caffeinated weightlifters. Weird.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Few realize the 45 LC is a great hunting cartridge. I have carried one into the woods for 20 years now. Hunted with it last blind sit. I load the 250 XTP, which, does have eXtreme Terminal Performance.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Congrats on your doe!

The good ol' 45 Colt is quite a cartridge, all these years later.

Guy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Few realize the 45 LC is a great hunting cartridge.

I’m one of those few…

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

All .45 Colt.

Last edited by wreckster84; 01/01/24.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Friend of mine in PENN carries a 45LC during deer drives. His only kill was a coyote several years ago, range was less than 20 yards. Said it didnt tear up the coyote that bad

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in 45 colt with a Nikon 2x scope.

It really likes Underwood 250gr ammo

Fun to shoot deer with a revolver and have them tip over!

Edit to add I forgot its my current avatar

Last edited by Beretta_Shooter916; 01/01/24.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by wreckster84

I’m one of those few…

All .45 Colt.

Love that old Redhawk with the scope mounted on the barrel. Always liked that setup.

Guy

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by wreckster84

I’m one of those few…

All .45 Colt.

Damn nice set!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have six 45 Colt’s, three of which are Ruger Hunter’s. They sure are accurate.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Denver257
I’ve always enjoyed our alternative methods season here in Missouri. I killed my first deer with a 50 caliber hawken in alternative season when I was 8. The last few years I take a 50 caliber inline with me most of the time, but always have a handgun with me for any shot I feel like I can make. I have several handguns that I could use but until this year I pretty much always took my super Blackhawk 44 mag, I’ve taken several deer with it. I carried 2 different 10mm’s the last couple years but never had any opportunity’s on the days I carried a 10mm.

This year for alternative season I decided to leave the inline in the safe and only hunt with handguns and not the 44 mag. I have a couple Colt SAA’s in 45 colt and 44-40, I generally prefer 44-40 but I’ve killed deer with 44-40 lever guns so I decided to go with a 45 Colt 5.5 2018 production SAA which was the only one I have that I purchased new. I load target rounds in 45 Colt but didn’t have any hunting ammo or time to get bullets and make a hunting load so I picked up some hornaday leverevelution and Barnes vor-tx, decided to go with the Barnes.

I killed my personal record buck with my bow a couple weeks ago so I’ve really just had meat hunting on my mind but do still have a buck tag. Saturday evening I had 3 doe’s come in and stop at 38 yards, I lined up on the biggest and she initially dropped and then stumbled about 20ft. Shot was behind the shoulder but high, the bullet stopped just short of reaching the ribs on the opposite side. I was very happy with the outcome and was sure a fun experience. Now I’m planning to branch out to a 357 magnum and 41 magnum for the remainder of the season and next year. For some reason I’ve never thought of 45 colt as much of a hunting round in a revolver but it will sure work.
What load? Have a pic of the bullet?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have six 45 Colt’s, three of which are Ruger Hunter’s. They sure are accurate.

I searched quite some time for a NMBH Bisley Hunter in .45 Colt but was never successful. Even a non-Bisley Hunter would have been nice but finally had to "settle" wink for this Redhawk Hunter.

I did switch out the Leupold FX-II for an Ultradot, much easier for older eyes and didn't really need 4X for the range I planned to use this for.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
My favorite way to hunt is with handguns, haven’t hunted with a rifle in years. Took my first antelope this year in Wyoming at 260 yds with a specialty pistol, Nosler M48. Here I rotate between two 41 magnums, T/C Contender and a Ruger SRH. Congrats on your success.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fun to hear about the .45 Long Colt SAA taking game.

I have had good luck with .45 LC but in more modern revolvers. I have a minty 2nd Gen .44 special that I should trade into a good .45 Long Colt SAA.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Don't hunt with my 45LC but carry it when i'm hunting, once in awhile I shoot a critter with it no complaints. Rio7

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Posted this last year. 1907 SAA, 45 LC , 260 grain cast Keith style bullet. 3 1/2 year old cull buck. Impressive terminal performance on this big bodied buck.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
No passes on that buck. Nice job!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I have had good luck with .45 LC but in more modern revolvers. I have a minty 2nd Gen .44 special that I should trade into a good .45 Long Colt SAA.

I agree, you should.

Robert E. Lee
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

But make sure not to get one with oversized chamber mouths.

https://www.coltforum.com/threads/n....68694/?post_id=506927&nested_view=1

In Handloader August/September 2018 there is an article by Mike Venturino about even an inconsistency of chamber size:

...For the purposes of this article, I sat down with plug gauges and measured every chamber mouth on two dozen Colt SAAs of all generations. Here are some bare bone facts: Of nine .45s, chamber mouths varied from .453 to .456 inch. Of six .44-40s, the measurements ran from .428 to .431 inch. Five .44 Specials varied from .430 to .433 inch. Sometimes all six chambers were the same per re...

https://www.handloadermagazine.com/colt-s-single-ation-army

My Ruger New Model Blackhawk stainless in 45 Colt had chamber mouths way too tight for pushing a 452 lead bullet through the chambers. I bought a Manson reamer, opened the chamber mouths to .4525 dimensions and now it performs well.

Last edited by ElmerKeith; 01/04/24.

Elmer Keith
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I snagged me one of the Ruger red hawks chambered in 45LC when they came into production for little while a few years ago, double action. Never got the chance to shoot a deer but did dump some hogs with it. Is takes moon clips for 45 APC also but never shot any animals with the APC's but they are fun and cheaper to practice with

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (2ndwind, 264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 25 invisible), 1,832 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,362
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.