Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Anyone interested in this stuff, here is another book I recommend on the subject. Written by a descendant of Adolph Korn that I mentioned earlier. Author born and raised in Mason County Tx.

He goes into pretty good detail concerning the German-Comanche treaty of 1847 and other aspects of those folks. Also good info on the other captives taken from the area.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Great book! IIRC one of the kids was kidnapped not too far from where we hunt.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I do not believe the lances were made of bois d’arc. I believe they were more commonly fabricated out of something like a sotol stalk. At least down here. And lots of river cane used in southeast.

Don’t have a clue as to what was used elsewhere. But I imaging it was something else just as light and handy.

I always figured River Cane, if the Lance’s were truly 14 foot long.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by 3040Krag
Anyone interested in this stuff, here is another book I recommend on the subject. Written by a descendant of Adolph Korn that I mentioned earlier. Author born and raised in Mason County Tx.

He goes into pretty good detail concerning the German-Comanche treaty of 1847 and other aspects of those folks. Also good info on the other captives taken from the area.

Herman Lehmann was taken over by Loyal Valley/ Cherry Springs. Adolph Korn was taken over by Castell on the Llano river. And Rudolph Fischer was taken over toward Tivy Ranch SW oF Fredericksburg. Oops! The Smith boys were taken over east of Boerne. 🤣. Somwhere around Spring Branch maybe???

Last edited by kaywoodie; 01/03/24.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Comanche were horsemen first class, and what I've read about them indicates they were fearsome with their bows---even on horseback and on the move. They could fire an arrow at you and have two more in the air before the first one hit you. And hit you, they could!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RiverRider
The Comanche were horsemen first class, and what I've read about them indicates they were fearsome with their bows---even on horseback and on the move. They could fire an arrow at you and have two more in the air before the first one hit you. And hit you, they could!

Even more amazing with the short little stubby bows they used.
Not to mention that they were accurate even while on a fast moving mustang.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Herman Lehmann was taken over by Loyal Valley/ Cherry Springs. Adolph Korn was taken over by Castell on the Llano river. And Rudolph Fischer was taken over toward Tivy Ranch SW oF Fredericksburg. Oops! The Smith boys were taken over east of Boerne. 🤣. Somwhere around Spring Branch maybe???

I went back and looked at the book. it was Korn I was thinking of. We have a lease pretty close to Castell.

On the bois d'arc-My Bohunk F-I-L said they make great fenceposts if you get them green.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm going to re-read that book as I haven't read it in years. That boy on the cover standing up looks a lot like my son did at that age and the first time I read it I had a dream about my boy being kidnapped. (he's 18 now and I can't get anyone to take him if I wanted them to smile )

Last edited by 3040Krag; 01/03/24.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going to re-read that book as I haven't read it in years. That boy on the cover standing up looks a lot like my son did at that age and the first time I read it I had a dream about my boy being kidnapped. (he's 18 now and I can't get anyone to take him if I wanted them to smile )

LOL.

I have to read that...placed an order just now. That'll make a nice addition to my nephew's bookshelf down on the San Saba ranch.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
That boy on the cover seated is Temple Friend from Legion Creek in Llano county.

Founder

WS

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
An interesting aspect of the book is the telling of how tough life was on the German settlers. Most of them were barely getting by and living in squalor. So for those young males who got taken by the plains Indians--assuming they survived and were accepted as peers by the tribe, life because an adventure that was better than just scratching by as a white settler.

It's not that difficult to understand why a young man would want to stay once he had gone feral and left the drudgery of the "white world" behind.

Apparently, Korn never did adjust to the white world again. Herman Lehmann more or less spent his life with one foot in each world. But inside I think he always considered himself an Indian.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe
An interesting aspect of the book is the telling of how tough life was on the German settlers. Most of them were barely getting by and living in squalor. So for those young males who got taken by the plains Indians--assuming they survived and were accepted as peers by the tribe, life because an adventure that was better than just scratching by as a white settler.

It's not that difficult to understand why a young man would want to stay once he had gone feral and left the drudgery of the "white world" behind.

Apparently, Korn never did adjust to the white world again. Herman Lehmann more or less spent his life with one foot in each world. But inside I think he always considered himself an Indian.

On the one hand, I find it difficult to comprehend---or imagine might be the better word.

On the other hand, yeah, I can definitely see that.

It's hard to imagine what it was like to be in the world in those days and how it looked through those peoples' eyes.

Don't be the darkness.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Bristoe

For Lehmann yes. He really would have rather stayed with the Indians. But it was Quanah Parker that told him he should go and see his mother, and go back to his people.

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Lehmann did open a dance hall at Cherry Springs.

Founder

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I do not believe the lances were made of bois d’arc. I believe they were more commonly fabricated out of something like a sotol stalk. At least down here. And lots of river cane used in southeast.

Don’t have a clue as to what was used elsewhere. But I imaging it was something else just as light and handy.

I always thought they use the long stem from the bloom of a type of century-type cactus that you see growing wild in the hill country and west Texas. They are straight and long we made spears of them when we were kids.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I always thought they use the long stem from the bloom of a type of century-type cactus that you see growing wild in the hill country and west Texas. They are straight and long we made spears of them when we were kids.

Those are what I was referring to Rog. Sotols. They ate the body of the plant too. After cutting off all the leaves. Very similar to a yucca. They are still a few that grow here in the southern part of the county. They cooked them in the big pits with hot rocks. Chewedand sucked out the flesh. Then they spit out the coarse fibers in a ball. They still find these “cuds" as they call them in cliff shelters out further west.

Founder

WS

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Scott Zesch is my wife’s cousin, he has two other books too, his dad is the great western artist , does the old cowboy carving’s , Gene Zesch, a lot of history around Mason.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Angus55
Scott Zesch is my wife’s cousin, he has two other books too, his dad is the great western artist , does the old cowboy carving’s , Gene Zesch, a lot of history around Mason.

Yeah!! Saw his other two books! Cool!

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lehmann did open a dance hall at Cherry Springs.

I used to love going there!

That, Crider's in Hunt, and the Caberet in Bandera were on my circuit of dance halls. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Vs.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I saw that Comanche helicopter at the Fort Rucker museum in September. Very cool. Another one I’d never heard about was a Blackhawk that came from the factory armed and loaded for bear.

It is a great museum!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

424 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 257wthbylover, 57 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.