Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by missedbycracky
I like your technique for locating the butt hole.

Are we still talking about gunstocks?

LOL

LOL
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Hey! it worked!! laugh

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Yes, otherwise we would be sprinkling with flour and waiting for a fart!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Hey! it worked!! laugh

OK, that was funny. grin

LOL
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I like your technique for locating the butt hole. Your ideas are always spot on. Thank you.

Absolutely, the perfect idea to locate the bolt through hole at the action end ...thanx Gary, and Happy Birthday !

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 99guy
It amazes me how you could drill from both ends and end up with a perfectly straight finished hole. crazy

How do they blast through mountains from each end and end up at exactly the same spot in the middle of the mountain?

Makes my brain hurt thinking about it.
Here's how...

Tunneling in the Sierra Nevada 1865

Four-Sided Approach
To speed progress, engineers decided to drill a vertical shaft midway along the projected tunnel line. Tunneling would take place on four faces at a time, as two teams worked inward from the eastern and western ends of the tunnel and two more teams worked back to back from the middle, moving outward. Workers began clearing the 8-by-12-foot shaft on August 27 and made good progress for the first 30 days, at which point the job of hoisting rubble from the shaft via hand derrick became too hard.

tunnel

"Every day above ground is a good day."
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I did one a long time ago when I would buy up for cheap old Win 37 shotguns needing buttocks. Found a few walnut blanks at a junk shop. Thought about it a long time before trying it. Free hand with a drill on a practice pine stock did not work. I got a metal rod and laid it on the blank to figure out how to find the center of the buttplate and the center of the action end. I had friend to weld a long enuff rod to the correct size drill bit. Marked a X at both ends of the buttstock to get the C/Ls. I had a friend with a ShopSmith. I put my drill bit in the Jacob’s part and a center spur on the action end. I put the blank between the centers and clampedand used blocking to get the right height and duct taped the blank down securely. I slowly drilled from the butt end backing out to clear the cuttings. Once I had the hole drilled, I glued a 6”wooden dowel rod in the butt hole and then drilled with a Forsner bit the hole for the washer that fits behind the long bolt head. I took a buttstock off one of my 37s to see the length of that larger diameter hole. Seems like I found old Ford starter housing bolts that were the correct size for the action. Anyway it was a long time ago and took a great deal of effort and planning. It’s what you do if you’re a poor redneck. As Larry the Cable guy says
Get her done!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the other way to get the butt hole is grab a finished stock ,[ you have 8 or 10 in the safe ] put them both in the vise and transfer the hole placement across to the new blank,, a lot of the pre 90,000 stock bolts are 8 inch after that basicly 5 inch

Norn

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,132
Posts18,502,651
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.