Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Curious - is there an easy reference or cheat sheet for M70s?

Clearly we're all aware of the p64s being CRF. It's the new M70CRF actions that I'd like to know if there's a cheat sheet for.

What are the "generations", what makes one better than the other, and how does one tell this is X and that is Y when it comes to post 64 but CRF M70 actions?

Bonus points if said cheat sheet/resource also breaks down the magazine length available for each.

Such a critter exist? (I have a feeling a grandchild is coming in the next 5 years, the idea of squirreling away a good action between now/then to build something for the kid is appealing NOW because I don't know it will be cheaper in 5-7 years)

TIA

Me

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Teal
Curious - is there an easy reference or cheat sheet for M70s?

Clearly we're all aware of the p64s being CRF. It's the new M70CRF actions that I'd like to know if there's a cheat sheet for.

What are the "generations", what makes one better than the other, and how does one tell this is X and that is Y when it comes to post 64 but CRF M70 actions?

Bonus points if said cheat sheet/resource also breaks down the magazine length available for each.

Such a critter exist? (I have a feeling a grandchild is coming in the next 5 years, the idea of squirreling away a good action between now/then to build something for the kid is appealing NOW because I don't know it will be cheaper in 5-7 years)

TIA

You want to build a new rifle? I'd just buy a good classic, or 2 and rock on. 5 or 6 digit classic would be my preference when looking/buying. If it absolutely has to be a CRF. I wouldn't waste my time with a Browning.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Is there a classic that is better? I read things like BACO and G suffix etc. BACO = Browning?

The only Browning I'd ever consider buying - EVER is a shotgun O/U.

I'm trying to understand how to identify the "right classic" if that makes sense.

Me

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Essentially - I had the idea that I'd like to put together something like CBB15's in the deerhunting forum.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Kind of the thought has changed to putting it together for my son, not grandchild.

1. When you become a dad, we're often forgotten about when it happens. So a gift to him, something really fine and nice as a way to say "I know the sacrifices you'll be making over the coming years for family. This isn't something you'll likely do for yourself so I'm doing it for you"
2. I'm a huge believer in a child's first rifle being something he/she picks out with their father. Together. I get sentimental about things from my grandparents but it's not the same as something from dad. So my son should get to do that with his son, like I did him.

Me

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That is a tough one Teal. They made whole books about the darned things.

Pre 64's, were any rifle made before the Post 1964 Push Feed Rifles. Classics came after Winchester returned to the CRF action in/around 1992. They were G serial numbers as well. All Classics had the standard great Pre 64 triggers.

The latest Model is a match to the Classic generally, but I have found them to be smoother and better machined than most all of the Classics I have owned and handled. Some were made in SC and now they are assembled in Portugal. Great actions with good triggers. Those rifles have a 35 starter as the serial number (Don't hold me to that).

Magazines in the Classics were about 2.9"ish for the short actions like a 7-08, 308, etc. 30-06 class along with Rem and Win Mags were 3.4" and the magnum action is 3.6". All of the guns can be modded to take a longer mag cartridge with a little parts swapping and such.

I know I missed a ton of stuff, but generally I have seen some nice rifles made off the new action and while people moan about the new trigger I haven't seen one go bad yet and a 5 dollar spring will make them quite decent. If you hate that, Timney makes a replacement.

I'd easily build off a new 70 action. The ones I have been around required little to no machine work to be square and ready. Have not seen (but paid for the difference) on Classics to be squared up.

Lots of great intel about 70's on here. I think what're you're doing is darned fine of you.

Last edited by beretzs; 01/03/24.

Semper Fi
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Essentially - I had the idea that I'd like to put together something like CBB15's in the deerhunting forum.

Kind of the thought has changed to putting it together for my son, not grandchild.

1. When you become a dad, we're often forgotten about when it happens. So a gift to him, something really fine and nice as a way to say "I know the sacrifices you'll be making over the coming years for family. This isn't something you'll likely do for yourself so I'm doing it for you"
2. I'm a huge believer in a child's first rifle being something he/she picks out with their father. Together. I get sentimental about things from my grandparents but it's not the same as something from dad. So my son should get to do that with his son, like I did him.

I hear you about getting sentimental. But we all see that differently. I was just happy to get a sporterized m1917 from my dad on Christmas morning when I was 12. A winchester model 70 would definitely be cream of the crop. Especially one with a beautiful wood stock like the one pictured. Teach him how to take excellent care of it, to clean it properly, and maybe even how to adjust the trigger, mount the scope, get it dialed in and then practice the fundamentals of marksmanship. And then most importantly gun safety, and how to hunt. I get it. Good on you Teal.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
It’d be a hell of a lot of simpler to post rifles up here and let the experts tell you what it is. There’s several iterations of model 70. I owned xtr featherweights and a BACO featherweight. I got rid of them all and was gonna save the BACO ,but decided to sell it too. I thought it was the best all around of those two.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by beretzs
That is a tough one Teal. They made whole books about the darned things.

Pre 64's, were any rifle made before the Post 1964 Push Feed Rifles. Classics came after Winchester returned to the CRF action in/around 1992. They were G serial numbers as well. All Classics had the standard great Pre 64 triggers.

The latest Model is a match to the Classic generally, but I have found them to be smoother and better machined than most all of the Classics I have owned and handled. Some were made in SC and now they are assembled in Portugal. Great actions with good triggers. Those rifles have a 35 starter as the serial number (Don't hold me to that).

Magazines in the Classics were about 2.9"ish for the short actions like a 7-08, 308, etc. 30-06 class along with Rem and Win Mags were 3.4" and the magnum action is 3.6". All of the guns can be modded to take a longer mag cartridge with a little parts swapping and such.

I know I missed a ton of stuff, but generally I have seen some nice rifles made off the new action and while people moan about the new trigger I haven't seen one go bad yet and a 5 dollar spring will make them quite decent. If you hate that, Timney makes a replacement.

I'd easily build off a new 70 action. The ones I have been around required little to no machine work to be square and ready. Have not seen (but paid for the difference) on Classics to be squared up.

Lots of great intel about 70's on here. I think what're you're doing is darned fine of you.

Thanks - this is what I'm looking for. They're not uber popular in my area and thus, I don't get a chance to see a ton of them to peruse. I think the donor will come off the net so I need to have a general idea of how to select good/bad so to speak. Unless the general idea is - "CRF actions, be it p64 or not are generally all decent and a good choice"

The only pre-64's I have available to me is a Win94 and the only M70 I have in the case is a rather accurate PF Coyote in 22-25. Just weighs a ton and I prefer the classic CRF myself.

Me

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I hear you about getting sentimental. But we all see that differently. I was just happy to get a sporterized m1917 from my dad on Christmas morning when I was 12. A winchester model 70 would definitely be cream of the crop. Especially one with a beautiful wood stock like the one pictured. Teach him how to take excellent care of it, to clean it properly, and maybe even how to adjust the trigger, mount the scope, get it dialed in and then practice the fundamentals of marksmanship. And then most importantly gun safety, and how to hunt. I get it. Good on you Teal.

Yeah - I get that too. I can't put my sentimentality on a child not even conceived yet. Boy's getting married this September. I just remember bugging my dad to head to the gun store once a week for about 2 years before I picked out my first deer rifle. M77 in 30-06 for 368 bucks, give or take. Meant a pile to me.

Finding a chunk of wood like that is also going to take some time. IMO - that's absolutely perfect for what I'd want for me.

Me

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
BACO Rifles

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Classic Rifles

P64

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ww233/beretzs/IMG_9869.jpeg[/img]

Those might help some to give you an idea of what you're looking at. Ask away, no question will hurt my feelers. Always glad to help, especially for this cause.

Semper Fi
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks - this is what I'm looking for. They're not uber popular in my area and thus, I don't get a chance to see a ton of them to peruse. I think the donor will come off the net so I need to have a general idea of how to select good/bad so to speak. Unless the general idea is - "CRF actions, be it p64 or not are generally all decent and a good choice"

The only pre-64's I have available to me is a Win94 and the only M70 I have in the case is a rather accurate PF Coyote in 22-25. Just weighs a ton and I prefer the classic CRF myself.

For sure, the classiest is the P64 (my opinion). The easiest is a FN BACO, but honestly, if you're building it, the difference between any of them won't be much.

Semper Fi
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

For sure, the classiest is the P64 (my opinion). The easiest is a FN BACO, but honestly, if you're building it, the difference between any of them won't be much.

That last bit basically is it I think. I'm building - just looking for an appropriate action, CRF from Winchester rust blue with a good barrel and likely in 30-06 because that's generationally safe. Can't assume reloading or ammo etc in the future. We might lose it all but the 30-06 will be the last to go.

Building just for me - I'd do another 7-08 but that's a reloader's cartridge IMO. Can't put that on them.

Me

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BACO Rifles

Classic Rifles

P64

Those might help some to give you an idea of what you're looking at. Ask away, no question will hurt my feelers. Always glad to help, especially for this cause.

Give me Bobs old 270 over any of those any day of the week and twice on Sunday..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think you'll have a perfect rifle. I'd do a 270 Winchester myself, but you aren't wrong.. whistle

Honestly, if you are doing a 30-06 for your boy, I'd scrub classifieds for a Pre 64 30-06 Featherweight barreled action and put it in the best piece of wood you can find. I'd almost bet you a dollar, beer, etc that it will shoot and you're not likley to put a better barrel on it than they came with if you keep the early to mid 50's guns. PM Gunner, he has a 270 like such and its essentially as come from the factory 270 with an amazing piece of wood on it.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
BACO Rifles

Classic Rifles

P64

Give me Bobs old 270 over any of those any day of the week and twice on Sunday..

His old P64 with the PoundR and 0 Krieger with the S&B Summit on it?

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Teal, it might help if getting an excellent donor rifle from someone here. Someone that may have the perfect classic or pre 64 that functions perfectly, is accurate, and also in the condition you desire. All of my model 70's meet those requirements. I know others here also have some great rifles. Then you would just have to look for a nice stock. Anyone here have a barreled action or complete rifle that may work?

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

That last bit basically is it I think. I'm building - just looking for an appropriate action, CRF from Winchester rust blue with a good barrel and likely in 30-06 because that's generationally safe. Can't assume reloading or ammo etc in the future. We might lose it all but the 30-06 will be the last to go.

Building just for me - I'd do another 7-08 but that's a reloader's cartridge IMO. Can't put that on them.

Winchester never rust blued M70 receivers

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BACO Rifles

Classic Rifles

P64

His old P64 with the PoundR and 0 Krieger with the S&B Summit on it?

Wait, the 7mm Rem mag. Sorry for the confusion. I like the one built by Brownell.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I think you'll have a perfect rifle. I'd do a 270 Winchester myself, but you aren't wrong.. whistle

Honestly, if you are doing a 30-06 for your boy, I'd scrub classifieds for a Pre 64 30-06 Featherweight barreled action and put it in the best piece of wood you can find. I'd almost bet you a dollar, beer, etc that it will shoot and you're not likley to put a better barrel on it than they came with if you keep the early to mid 50's guns. PM Gunner, he has a 270 like such and its essentially as come from the factory 270 with an amazing piece of wood on it.

Exactly what I was thinking^^^ Or, just ask some of the members in this forum. Someone may have a very good example in the safe.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, I told a couple fellas the other day, if I had such a rifle in a 270 or 280 I'd be in rifle Nirvana..

I LOVE that Brownell. It is like he measured me for that rifle..

Shoots well for an old clunker as well..

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 58 invisible), 2,918 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,358
Posts18,488,022
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.