Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fortymile
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
My friend Paul manages the fly fishing department at Anchorage Bass Pro. He fishes the Kenai a lot and can help you out.

OooooKKKaaayyyyy.......
Not sure the reason for that. Despite the name that particular store doesn't sell a lot of bass gear. Paul has lived in AK since about 1993, long before Bass Pro Shops built a store there, and knows what works on the Kenai, and also sells a bunch of stuff that will work. He doesn't mind pointing out items they don't carry but also work well. He's a helpful source of information in Anchorage. That's all, carry on.
Spend some time in an actual flyshop and see how many come in with genuine messes sold to them at the big box stores. They do not pay enough to attract people with enough experience. Nothing personal, but far better information will come out of a real flyshop.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by ribka
ever fish the anchor for steelhead in September?

I used to do that in the early and mid 90s. I only fish the swing for steelhead (no indicators, weights) and would do well fishing a 10-13' Type III or Type IV sinktip depending on water height. The last time I was there was Oct 1999 after coming back from Kodiak Island and we visited my cousin on the peninsula and I had to go to the Anchor.

I imagine it's more crowded now than I'd like. I have fond memories of watching new steelhead rolling in the lower river's slackening water during the later stage of the flood with a beautiful pink evening sky and Mt. Iliamna across the inlet.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
My friend Paul manages the fly fishing department at Anchorage Bass Pro. He fishes the Kenai a lot and can help you out.

OooooKKKaaayyyyy.......
Not sure the reason for that. Despite the name that particular store doesn't sell a lot of bass gear. Paul has lived in AK since about 1993, long before Bass Pro Shops built a store there, and knows what works on the Kenai, and also sells a bunch of stuff that will work. He doesn't mind pointing out items they don't carry but also work well. He's a helpful source of information in Anchorage. That's all, carry on.
Spend some time in an actual flyshop and see how many come in with genuine messes sold to them at the big box stores. They do not pay enough to attract people with enough experience. Nothing personal, but far better information will come out of a real flyshop.
My buddy is retired military and retired civil service, so what he makes at Bass Pro is just beer money. I assure you he has plenty of experience, but I get what you're saying. Most of the folks at the big box stores aren't as knowledgeable as those working in the smaller, more specialized shops.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

OooooKKKaaayyyyy.......
My buddy is retired military and retired civil service, so what he makes at Bass Pro is just beer money. I assure you he has plenty of experience, but I get what you're saying. Most of the folks at the big box stores aren't as knowledgeable as those working in the smaller, more specialized shops.

Exactly... and when the fishbowl is as small as Anchorage... 150 miles away from the real aquarium... and you select clientele tending toward the newbie side of things (JBER) there is a major gap...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

OooooKKKaaayyyyy.......

Exactly... and when the fishbowl is as small as Anchorage... 150 miles away from the real aquarium... and you select clientele tending toward the newbie side of things (JBER) there is a major gap...

IFF the guy has the skillz, it could be that he'll do more good at the big box store than at a dedicated fly shop.

Art, my dogs were alerting to something, and I couldn't fall back asleep. That's why I'm up. What the heck are you doing up at 2:20AM?

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No rest for the wicked?
😉😏

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rittenhouse Rye wrangling...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

OooooKKKaaayyyyy.......

IFF the guy has the skillz, it could be that he'll do more good at the big box store than at a dedicated fly shop.

Art, my dogs were alerting to something, and I couldn't fall back asleep. That's why I'm up. What the heck are you doing up at 2:20AM?
"Good" is a loaded word.

The BBS gig never pays enough to keep good people. Kenai fishing guides do not run to Anchorage to go to Bass Pro, yet they stop at a real fly shop every time they come to town...

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 1,746 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,900
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.