Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Originally Posted by ARTY
Lived in Hampton Roads VA for20 years. Farmers in SE VA an NE NC grow massive amounts of peanuts and corn yearly. And black bears don’t hibernate there and eat 7 days a week. Lots of big bears there.

Indeed. They're all over Va now. There are big bear where there were scarcely any bears 10 years ago. I think a 650+ lb bear was harvested in Fauquier County in the last couple of years. And a 700+lb bear was killed by a combine in Dinwiddie County when it came out of its den as the combine was going over.

The Virginia peninsula (Charles City, New Kent, York, James City, etc) has historically been bear-free. I-95 and Richmond to the west, and major rivers to the north and south have kept bears out for a long time. But even that has changed. They've been seen in the middle of the James River swimming over from Surry. The police chased one around the coal terminals in Newport News until it was darted. There's at least one big bear living on Ft Eustis that is regularly seen in the marshes near a neighborhood, digging for mussels. A big bear is reportedly living in Lackey, Va near the Yorktown Battlefields and the Naval Weapons Station. And panic set in a couple of years ago when one big bear was seen at a school bus stop in Williamsburg. The DWR is saying there is likely not a city or county in Virginia without at least a few bears. There's a state-wide firearms season now, except on the Eastern Shore. In years past, that season was only in the mountains and in the Dismal Swamp area.

And yet people want to keep us from hunting them or regulate how we hunt them. The reason they are doing so well is because of hunters. I know, preaching to the choir. Bears are great game animals. As our crew says only the spine and guts goes to waste. We use everything else. Skull, hide, liver, heart, all the meat including the ribs (way better than deer) leg bone gets made into soup bones or raw dog bones and the fat gets rendered.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ARTY
Lived in Hampton Roads VA for20 years. Farmers in SE VA an NE NC grow massive amounts of peanuts and corn yearly. And black bears don’t hibernate there and eat 7 days a week. Lots of big bears there.

That’s a lot of reason for the big bears. They don’t hibernate which eats a lot of calories. Lots of high protein food and no wolves. Friggin wolves will dig dens and attack bears while they are hibernating.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Lived in Eastern, NC for quite a while and know for sure that Hyde and Beaufort counties are full of record small eared black bears. My neighbor was the head of the state DNR and he confirmed this part of NC is full of potentially record bears.

Rick

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's a fatty from Dare Co. I photographed a couple of years ago. He was actually being scoped out by some hunters. This area is a bear sanctuary.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you like looking at bears, particularly eastern NC bears, this guy, Neil Jernigan, has some incredible videos.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A really cool color scheme on an eastern NC bear.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 22 invisible), 1,673 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,973
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.