Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Browning 1885 Hi Wall - Tang Sight

I am posting this in Single Shots and BPCR.

I have an 1885 Hi-Wall .45-70 manufatured in 1996 that I would like to put a tang sight on. It is the Browning model and there isn't a visible tang to mount it to.

One of my sons, a nephew and a second cousin all fancy trying to become a Quigley so I thought I would fix mine up.

I find they make models for it but I am not sure which one to get. I do want one with adjustable windage. I would hope I can find something appropriate for use to 500 meters with 405 grain bullets.

I have had this type of sights on a 94 Winchester, 1899 Savage .250-3000 and a Savage 99R in .300 Savage, I am quite fond of them.

I really don't want the expense of a vernier sight so this style will have to do.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gary

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd visit the Marble's website and contact them with any specific questions.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I checked on this a bit more and they suggest mounting it to the wood grip.

Not for me.

Thanks, Guys

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good decision.

FWIW, I’ve mounted peep sights mid-barrel on a number of guns, MLs and cartridge rifles. Gives Grandpa a pretty good sight picture, and more accurate than you’d expect.

Williams WDOS with peep aperture fits right in a standard dovetail.

This one’s a screw-on for TC rifles, but otherwise is the same:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The big detriment I see to using barrel mounted apertures is that one loses the long sight radius gained by having the aperture back close to the eye, and loss of a lot of the subconscious self-centering of the front sight in the aperture conducted when the aperture is back right in front of the eyeball.* To each his own, and I'll admit they may be somewhat better than the traditional open notch barrel sight, but I choose to not partake.

Looking at the problem of mounting an aperture sight on a Browning/Miroku tangless single shot, I've toyed with the idea of fabricating a custom tang sight. Traditional methods are out obviously, but a sight base could be made that straddles the back end of the receiver with two mounting screws that are perpendicular to the centerline instead of on the centerline. Sort of like the old Weaver N-type scope bases of long ago. Another approach along the same lines could be an adaptation of the old Lyman and Marble's tang sights for use on Remington M12's and 14's - sights whose bases straddled the back end of a tangless receiver, with an extension that laid back over the wood that supported the sight mechanism/staff. Just thinking out loud, but a handy machinist could execute it.

Generations ago, when guys were employing custom target guns and hunting rifles based on obsolete falling block single shots like High Walls, Martinis, and Stevens etc., it was common to see flat bottomed receiver sights screwed to the sides of flat receiver walls, as far back as possible. Lyman and others marketed sight models for that purpose, and even the late/current Lyman 66 intended for use on Winchester/Marlin lever guns could be applied because they're of the same principle, I bet.

Of course one has to consider the modern propensity for abhorring the drilling/tapping of non-factory screw holes in rifles - a mindset I don't understand.

*Not to mention the advantage of a small aperture, right in front of the eye, for light focusing/sharpening front sight and target imagery.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No doubt it’s not as accurate or as suitable for long range. I cobbled mine together for hunting at typical woods ranges. The old TC tang sights are scarce and expensive, and the standard open barrel sights are a terrible design, for my eyes anyway.

Probably counts as “cheating” to some, along with the shotgun primer ignition and BH209 I’m using, but IDGAF, just like with almost everything else, like the old jackass I am😛

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Haha! All good, Pappy!

(You know, we need to hook up again for lunch, beer, and BS!!)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only options you really have to run that rifle in the Quigley would be to replace the buckhorn barrel sight with a smith enterprise ladder sight. You'll have to be real good at kentucky windage to hold off target enough for spin and wind drift. Keep in mind the closest target at the Quigley is 3oo+ yards and it's shot offhand.
Other option would be to get a scope rail from Steve Earl and mount a DZ scope.
Probably in the end you'll be better off to get a dedicated bpcr rifle.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
i agree but I probably won't spend that much money on something for the kids to try.
TThanks guys

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you are willing to drill and tap the short tang on the Browning, you might try to use one of the tang type sights from the BSA Models 12, 12/15, 13 or 15 Martini rimfires. They all had a very short tang with two screw holes set up similarly to those on Remington 141, but the sights were adjustable for both windage and elevation. My recollection is that the sights are going for $125-150 when you can find them, but they are out there and would probably work for your purposes.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Geez, good idea! I never thought of that. If I'm motivated later today I'll pull one off a Martini and see how it fits on a Miroku Browning.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Good information. I will look into it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
A previous discussion on this with some good information from a late member on here......crossfireoops

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...tang-sight-on-1885-browning-without-tang

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

C
CJL Offline
C
Hi, I have a Browning Hi Wall Hunter in 45/70 and have used it at the Quigley. The first time was with Lyman receiver sight, that sight did not have enough elevation for the 3 longer targets at the match (by a long shot!) So a gun smith here in town inlaid a steel base into the stock just behind the receiver so I could attach a Pedersoli Soule Creedmoor sight. That has plenty of elevation and windage (very much needed at Quigley!!). With cast bullet velocities drop at 800 yds will be many feet and the wind drift in that coulee will be even more.
Good luck it is a great match.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Remington40x
If you are willing to drill and tap the short tang on the Browning, you might try to use one of the tang type sights from the BSA Models 12, 12/15, 13 or 15 Martini rimfires. They all had a very short tang with two screw holes set up similarly to those on Remington 141, but the sights were adjustable for both windage and elevation. My recollection is that the sights are going for $125-150 when you can find them, but they are out there and would probably work for your purposes.

It'll work but the base of the sight would extend back over the wrist, particularly if mounted far enough back for hamper-free manipulation of the hammer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
i agree but I probably won't spend that much money on something for the kids to try.
TThanks guys

If you don't spend the money to put together a good outfit to take to the match neither you the kids or anybody in the squad you're with will have a good time, and you'll likely be better off just to stay home.
If you do spend the money to put a good rig together you might discover something the entire family will enjoy and do as often as possible.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Trying to become a Quigley" is not the same thing as shooting the Quigley. Some of you guys read too much into things.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It may be worth your time to try and run down one of the new generations Leatherwood 6x18 scopes with their improved Unertl mounts, and the base kit for the Miroku built 85's that uses the predrilled holes and the rear sight dovetail.
If the wind gods do their usual thing at the Q and the relay you're in shoots the buffalo in midafternoon, having plenty of windage adjustment is a good thing.

www.historicshooting.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1beaver_shooter, 260Remguy, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 54 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,474
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.