Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Just like farm over terraces on crop ground. The local soil office is talking 5 foot high structures with tile.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not sure how "farm over" some of them are.

I have several places I do brush cutting on with those terraces. Most you have to follow the terrace and the contour... You can't run up and over the berm with any pull behind equipment. Especially a large batwing cutter, or something similar that pulls from the drawbar.

While I understand why they do it, and can see the benefits, they sure can be a pain to deal with.

Here's a photo of me cutting a pasture with terraces. The land was done in terraces in the 50's. I still have to ride the top of the terrace and follow the contour, then ride the next one in the opposite direction, then cut the ground in between them. Notice how the wings are downward on both sides when riding the crest.

Slows things up a good deal. Much faster without having the terraces to follow.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
That's it Barry. Keep the water where it works!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
around these parts, if a pasture has terraces it's because the land was tilled at some point, and then turned back to pasture after someone figured out that the land doesn't produce crops for squat.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TRnCO
around these parts, if a pasture has terraces it's because the land was tilled at some point, and then turned back to pasture after someone figured out that the land doesn't produce crops for squat.

Down here you usually see it in pastures within a close proximity of a watershed where runoff causes erosion.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
My Dad started farming the crop ground in 1959. Folks that don't understand contour farming make fun of it.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I hunt a place with some serious terracing done decades ago when it was a popular practice and put in CRP plus some pasture. Some was put back in crop recently where the terraces are a royal pain slowing equipment down, the terraces are also not needed with notill planting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Same here. Cotton was king a century ago. I know where there are some rock terraces on a steep hill next to a creek. Most are just plowed terraces. It's all woods now, mostly planted pines.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have about a 10 acre field that is terraced. Probably done back in the 1940's. Although it can be a pain to farm, it's needed.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I may need to drive the soil conservation man to the terraces, and show him.

Thanks all.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
My pasture has tarraces probbly put in in the 1950 with government money. It has not been farmed I’m my lifetime 60 years but probbly was back then

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D

That’s exactly the case on some of the land that my grandparents owned, both sets of grand parents, in west central Ks.

NRA Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dale06

That’s exactly the case on some of the land that my grandparents owned, both sets of grand parents, in west central Ks.

Yep. Same here.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Other than to help control erosion, I can't see why anyone would go to the expense of terracing cattle pastures.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Keep the water on the hill where it will grow grass.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Keep the water on the hill where it will grow grass.

I'd want to see a cost/benefit analysis.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
There is enough mud in the Mississippi River now.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There is quite a bit of land here that is classified as HEL, highly erodible land. Terraces work well on that kind of land, and in some occasions may be the only way to keep that from becoming useless as far as cropland. Pasture is a little different, but if that land is needed as pasture, I can see the benefit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
There is quite a bit of land here that is classified as HEL, highly erodible land. Terraces work well on that kind of land, and in some occasions may be the only way to keep that from becoming useless as far as cropland. Pasture is a little different, but if that land is needed as pasture, I can see the benefit.

That's it.

Those I see down here may or may not have been farms at some point, but the terraces I see are in steeper runoff areas and not only do they control erosion, but the retain the rainfall much longer on the acreage so the grass can benefit.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I agree that terraces can be very useful on crop ground. They've fallen out of favor around here for dry dams/water and sediment control basins. Most often designed with a backslope that can be farmed across.

I wouldn't tear out terraces on pasture ground that had them, but I do not think it would ever pencil to put them in on existing pasture. Better grazing practices and appropriate renovations/overseeding would be a more cost effective practice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,709
Posts18,513,941
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.