Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am looking to stock a Remington 700 with a #3 Shilen barrel cut at 22", chambered in .270 Winchester. It is currently an ADL configuration, but I intend to pickup a floor plate for it and convert to BDL. The rifle wears a 3-9x Zeiss Conquest, and that isn't likely to change to anything drastically different. I am wanting to stock it and believe I want either a McMillan Hunter's Edge or a Remington Classic stock. The #3 barrel was probably a bit on the heavy side, but it was available to me at the time. I know the Edge with Edge-fill is going to be lighter, but I do also want it to be balanced. I do prefer molded-in swirl to paint for longevity and durability, but I want a well-balanced stock with a sleek fore-end above all else.

I tried searching for the topic on this site, but found most photograph links were no longer working. Does anybody have photographs of the two stocks side by side for comparison? Does anybody have experience with both stocks and a similar contour and length barrel that could offer a suggestion? Does anybody know the weight of both stocks in Edge fill vs light-fill/molded-in finish?

Thank you in advance.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an Edge with a Win M-70 24" Sporter BA in it but I don't know how that contour compares to a Shilen #3.

But McM says that stock will take a Douglas #3, so you could look up that contour on their website & compare it.

A 22" barrel will definitely balance that stock a little better than does my 24" but you will still have the weight firmly in your left hand if you like that.

Mine is an older stock with a half inch Decelerator pad & it weighs 21 oz, but the newer ones might be heavier, especially with a 1" pad.

Rather than Classic, I like the Remington Sporter better & the Sako Classic even better yet if they will inlet for a Rem 700..........McM of today is not the McM of the past.

Actually, other than the grip being a little thicker than I really like the lines & feel of the B&C Mountain stocks for a lot less money, are very good but not sure how big a barrel those will take as mine have MR contours but I'm pretty sure it could be made to fit a #3 with a little careful work.

As for paint being tough, McM is very tough & B&C is tough enough.

You also might want to look at AG Composites as they are making some great stocks like the Bergara Premier Mountain 2.0.

If you want any pics, let me know.

MM

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
From what I've seen, the Shilen #3 does fit. The problem I have had with the B&C and some other models is the cheekpiece. I very much prefer a straight stock. I've had a few of the B&Cs in the past and therein has been my problem with them. I'll give AG Composites a look, too. Appreciate the info.

Last edited by drop_point; 01/06/24.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got it.

I'm just the opposite in that I prefer a cheek piece, but have no real problem w/o ot either.

Good luck with you search...........lots of good stocks right now.

Bansner is very popular too, but I don't have one so can't say from personal experience.

MM

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Appreciate it. I haven't ever seen an Bansner in person, either.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've probably done 10 or so builds with the McMillan Classic in Edge fill. All but 2 of them have been with #3 contour barrels, one was a Shilen the rest where either Brux or also did a couple with a Bart 2b which is essentially a #3 from most other makers. Always kept the shank length at about 3/4" to 1 inch to help balance. All but 2 where BDL, did do 2 ADL's but weight or balance really didn't change. All where finished at either 22" or 22.5" which is my favorite:) Most have lighter weight scopes and all have balanced well. Maybe a bit muzzle heavy but not much, just a bit weight forward which IMHO makes the rifle settle nicely and are a pleasure to carry. Here are some pictures - most of these I've sold over the years, wish I still had some of them but always chasing a better build-grin

#3 Lilja @ 23" fluted .243
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

#3 Brux @22.5" fluted 7MM-08

#2b Bart @ 22.5" no flutes 7MM-08

#2b Bart @ 22.5" fluted .243

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Some nice rifles you have there! If you’re noticing slight muzzle heavy that should probably rule out the Hunter’s Edge stock in favor of then Classic (with Edge fill or standard fill). Have you tried a classic with regular “light” fiberglass fill?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Forgot to include - all of my Classic Edge stocks I bought at least 4-5 years ago when they still weight roughly 24 ozs give or take. I only have one Hunters Edge and its on a Tikka SL and from what I remember its also right at 23-24 ozs as it sits. I think the newer Edge stocks are weighing more like 26-28 ozs but maybe someone has a new one can verify that.

"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by drop_point
Some nice rifles you have there! If you’re noticing slight muzzle heavy that should probably rule out the Hunter’s Edge stock in favor of then Classic (with Edge fill or standard fill). Have you tried a classic with regular “light” fiberglass fill?

I have not - only ever done Edge fill when I did a McMillan. And I should clarify that really the balance is great, its just a little bit forward but not enough to make the rifle feel unbalance or hard to carry. I do like the Classic better over the Hunters Edge - the Hunters Edge is a shorter overall stock so probably anything longer than say 22" max is not great in that one. Here is one more, again a #3 Brux fluted and finished @ 22.5, this was one of my favorites.

"Team 7MM-08"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Forgot to include - all of my Classic Edge stocks I bought at least 4-5 years ago when they still weight roughly 24 ozs give or take. I only have one Hunters Edge and its on a Tikka SL and from what I remember its also right at 23-24 ozs as it sits. I think the newer Edge stocks are weighing more like 26-28 ozs but maybe someone has a new one can verify that.

They got portly towards the end of the McMillan’s ownership; recent examples that I know of (‘nut308 and others) have reported they trimmed back down. Cost savings I’d imagine. 🤣

I have not ordered since the change in ownership so no first hand info.

I’ll try to post a pic of a hunters edge/compact vs classic this weekend.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not great pictures but this is what I could find for now. The stock on the left is a Hunters Edge, the right one is a Classic. As you can see the Classic looks huge when side by side but its not really that bad when you handle them. I think that a Classic with up to a #3 contour barrel up to maybe 23" inches finished is a darn good combo for a hunting rifle.

"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here are a couple of more pics of the Hunters Edge Compact compared to a KS & a Rem Ti (B&C Mountain stock)

MM

L to R, 700 KS, Compact Edge, B&C Mountain; the Edge has a M-70 Sporter BA in it
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Edge Compact w/ M70 Sporter BA

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I am looking to stock a Remington 700 with a #3 Shilen barrel cut at 22", chambered in .270 Winchester. It is currently an ADL configuration, but I intend to pickup a floor plate for it and convert to BDL. The rifle wears a 3-9x Zeiss Conquest, and that isn't likely to change to anything drastically different. I am wanting to stock it and believe I want either a McMillan Hunter's Edge or a Remington Classic stock. The #3 barrel was probably a bit on the heavy side, but it was available to me at the time. I know the Edge with Edge-fill is going to be lighter, but I do also want it to be balanced. I do prefer molded-in swirl to paint for longevity and durability, but I want a well-balanced stock with a sleek fore-end above all else.

I tried searching for the topic on this site, but found most photograph links were no longer working. Does anybody have photographs of the two stocks side by side for comparison? Does anybody have experience with both stocks and a similar contour and length barrel that could offer a suggestion? Does anybody know the weight of both stocks in Edge fill vs light-fill/molded-in finish?

Thank you in advance.
I'll jump ahead with an unsolicited recommendation.
Take a look at Grayboe (from the McMillan tree).
They can machine the channel for your barrel manufacturer's contour.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grayboe's a heavy, very heavy. 38 oz for a basic classic style stock.

MM

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Grayboe's a heavy, very heavy. 38 oz for a basic classic style stock.

MM
Yep. They had a lightweight model but it’s been discontinued AFAIK.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Edge and classic, both barrels are close to a Remington mag sporter contour. Shilen on the left is a dupe of it and hawkhill on the right is/was their sporter contour. Big as I’d go in an edge personally.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by jackmountain; 01/06/24.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That Shilen #3 will fit in either, but watch the shank length if you select the Hunter’s Edge. Keep it to 1.5 inches or shorter, and you will be fine.

All that said, I’d go Rem Classic in EDGE fill without a second thought in a LA 700. Weight will be a virtual wash, and over the years, the Rem Classic was favored by, I would guess, 75% of our customers, at least.

Many, many guys, including me, built multiple rifles on Rem Classic patterns. It’s a wiener.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not great pictures but this is what I could find for now. The stock on the left is a Hunters Edge, the right one is a Classic. As you can see the Classic looks huge when side by side but its not really that bad when you handle them. I think that a Classic with up to a #3 contour barrel up to maybe 23" inches finished is a darn good combo for a hunting rifle.

Thanks this is good info. I assume that far right plastic stock is an SPS stock?

I think Edge-fill classic is where I want to be.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickBin
That Shilen #3 will fit in either, but watch the shank length if you select the Hunter’s Edge. Keep it to 1.5 inches or shorter, and you will be fine.

All that said, I’d go Rem Classic in EDGE fill without a second thought in a LA 700. Weight will be a virtual wash, and over the years, the Rem Classic was favored by, I would guess, 75% of our customers, at least.

Many, many guys, including me, built multiple rifles on Rem Classic patterns. It’s a wiener.

Thank you for the info, the rifle is already barreled, and I don’t remember what the cylinder length was but I want to say it’s pretty close to a standard Remington.

I think I’ll order the classic in Edge-fill.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive

Thank you in advance.
I'll jump ahead with an unsolicited recommendation.
Take a look at Grayboe (from the McMillan tree).
They can machine the channel for your barrel manufacturer's contour.

I have a Grayboe and another on the way for another rifle, but I'm looking to shed about 10-12 oz from what those rifles weigh.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thanks this is good info. I assume that far right plastic stock is an SPS stock?

It is, can't recall why I included that but think someone asked in a prior thread to show the difference.

"Team 7MM-08"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I have an Edge with a Win M-70 24" Sporter BA in it but I don't know how that contour compares to a Shilen #3.

But McM says that stock will take a Douglas #3, so you could look up that contour on their website & compare it.

A 22" barrel will definitely balance that stock a little better than does my 24" but you will still have the weight firmly in your left hand if you like that.

Mine is an older stock with a half inch Decelerator pad & it weighs 21 oz, but the newer ones might be heavier, especially with a 1" pad.

Rather than Classic, I like the Remington Sporter better & the Sako Classic even better yet if they will inlet for a Rem 700..........McM of today is not the McM of the past.

Actually, other than the grip being a little thicker than I really like the lines & feel of the B&C Mountain stocks for a lot less money, are very good but not sure how big a barrel those will take as mine have MR contours but I'm pretty sure it could be made to fit a #3 with a little careful work.

As for paint being tough, McM is very tough & B&C is tough enough.

You also might want to look at AG Composites as they are making some great stocks like the Bergara Premier Mountain 2.0.

If you want any pics, let me know.

MM

I’ve had a few Sako Classics on Tikkas. Really liked that pattern myself.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

It is, can't recall why I included that but think someone asked in a prior thread to show the difference.

It is helpful,glad it is there.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I picked up a new second-hand Hunter’s Edge for a factory Remington 700. It’s a short—action 24” barrel. The stock is light as air, and the 24” barrel is a bit front heavy. I like the size and shape, but it makes me want to chop 2-3” off the barrel. I think the choice of the classic for the 22” long action is perfect.

Last edited by drop_point; 01/23/24.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (06hunter59, 16penny, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,803 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,623
Posts18,492,798
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.