-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
T
What's the intended purpose? Hunting? Target shooting?

It's a good all around rifle to get going with a bolt action. My first bolt action hunting rifle was exactly the same gun, minus the Tasco. I knew nothing about scopes then. I went to the local mom and pop sporting goods shop and trusted the guy behind the counter to sell me the nicest hunting scope I could afford. At the time, that ended up being a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 x 40. To this day, I regret selling that rifle!

Last edited by Tallest; 01/12/24.

Matthew

“All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything.” ~ R Jordan
HR IC

G
Gary_3 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
This will be a hunting rifle. Ohio was always a slug-gun state, recently allowing straight walled cartridges. I have a semi auto 350 legend for Ohio. A couple buddies want to expand our horizons so to speak. Kentucky or western states, hence the bolt gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gary_3,

It may just be the picture, but is that a 20" barrel? Where on the barrel is the cartridge designation Stamped/roll marked, barrel or barrel shank?

That MK II could have a LC6 trigger. Between S/N 791-246XX and 791-717XX (Mid to late 2005) the LC6 triggers were transitioned into all M77 MK II rifles.

Thanks
Ed

Last edited by 308ld; 01/13/24.

Ed
D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by 308ld
Gary_3,

It may just be the picture, but is that a 20" barrel? Where on the barrel is the cartridge designation Stamped/roll marked, barrel or barrel shank?

That MK II could have a LC6 trigger. Between S/N 791-246XX and 791-717XX the LC6 triggers were transitioned into all M77 MK II rifles.

Thanks
Ed

I went and checked mine after seeing this and wondering why people ever complained about the Mark II trigger. My one M77 that I have ever owned is the late model Mark II with the LC6 trigger.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve never owned one, guy on my lease does. He likes it

IC B2

G
Gary_3 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by 308ld
Gary_3,

That MK II could have a LC6 trigger. Between S/N 791-246XX and 791-717XX (Mid to late 2005) the LC6 triggers were transitioned into all M77 MK II rifles.

Thanks
Ed

Serial number says this one is from 2000.

The barrel is 22”

I’m going to see if it likes Norma 180 bond strike extremes, if it does it will be a one size fits all load.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I only have experience with one MK II. It is my wife's in 6.5x55 and she is the 3rd owner of it. I bought it for her in 2002. She has consistently shot half inch and smaller groups with it. I rarely shot it since we had it fitted for her. Now the kids are using it and were having trouble with it because the trigger was too heavy. It was 6 lbs. Never new because it was so crisp. Now after having it worked on it is a crisp 3 lbs. My daughter used it this year to take an antelope at 90 yards and whitetail buck at 300. My wife may not get it back. I think you have picked a good rifle to start.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I've had quite a few of these. Solid, dependable rifles. In fact, just picked up another one, it too is in 30-06 and is a stainless/Zytel version. Pre LC6, so trigger work/replacement is the first order of business for it. You have, in my opinion, a very nice rifle! Get to know it and enjoy!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I've had quite a few of these. Solid, dependable rifles. In fact, just picked up another one, it too is in 30-06 and is a stainless/Zytel version. Pre LC6, so trigger work/replacement is the first order of business for it. You have, in my opinion, a very nice rifle! Get to know it and enjoy!

bought mine new in the late 90's/or really early 2000's - don't remember. Same scope and factory trigger. Lots of animals taken with that gun. Likes to shoot 150's over 165's. Guess I just got used to the trigger as I have never done any work to it.

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Although largely nearly identical, the Hawkeye has some minor tweaks that make it preferable: a slimmer stock, steel bottom metal, and that LC6 trigger. Good new is that all that stuff can be swapped onto a MKII if you want to. The Hawkeye stocks are pretty nice actually, walnut or synthetic.

The Tangers get a lot of love, but the Hawkeye/MkIIs are excellent rifles, IMO Hawkeyes the best Ruger made.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I like the Ruger Americans, after they have finally cleaned up the product line.

but I still prefer a Ruger 77 Mk 2, mine are mainly stainless with a laminate stock. I have a dozen or more of them.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not a Mark II, but I bought a M77 in 7mm Rem Mag in 1981. Good looking rifle. I was 21 years old, and it was the first rifle I ever bought. It shot horribly, splattering the bullets over a 10" circle at 100 yds. I sent it back to Ruger, and they eventually returned it to me, having made unspecified changes. It now shot 2"-3" groups. I again returned it to Ruger, but they sent it back to me saying "it was shooting within spec." I took a couple of deer with it, but soon after stuck it in the back of a closet and never shot it again due to the poor accuracy.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

After that terrible initial experience, I avoided all Ruger products for 40 years. I finally relented when my left-handed wife spied a lefty Hawkeye in .223 Rem. on the used rack at a Cabelas. There are not a lot of left-handed rifles available, so I sucked-up my anti-Ruger stance and bought it. It shoots good, but nothing to get excited about.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

I am not trying to tell people whether to love or hate their Rugers, I am just relating my personal experience.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a Hawk-eye in .223. bought it the year they came out,2006 I think. Walnut and whatever finish that is on the metal. Kind of a weird parkerizing/ matte. Never had it out of the stock and it'll shoot MOA out to 300. That's as far as my range goes. Trigger is acceptable enough that I don't feel the need to mess with it.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,406
Posts18,488,965
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.