Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am heading to Alaska next year and found that my 20 year old Thermarest has decayed and needs replacement. What do you folks recommend these days?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thermarest NeoAir XTherm NXT Max Large.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

This. Bought one for a March trip down the Grand Canyon znd fall deer hunting in the Adirondacks. Couldn't be happier and would buy another. They stand behind their product as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a big fan of the Big Agnes Air Core pads. Have uninsulated and insulated.

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Thanks. Just ordered from Moosejaw with a 20% New Years discount.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Is this pad less obnoxiously noisy than the regular NeoAir? I couldn't sleep on the lightweight models or even be in the same tent with one - sounds like rolling around on a bag of potato chips all night.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Is this pad less obnoxiously noisy than the regular NeoAir? I couldn't sleep on the lightweight models or even be in the same tent with one - sounds like rolling around on a bag of potato chips all night.

Sounds like you're just not tired enough yet. smile

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The noise was a common complaint with their lightweight pads in the past. After doing a little research it looks like they may have quieted the pads down on the newer models.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Yes, it is less crinkly than the older models of NeoAir and NeoAir XTherm.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kammik Pongo pad is what I'm using now. Insulated and not as crinkly sounding as neoairs. I haven't touched the neoairs since I got it.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ed, where are you going, what are you doing, what time of year?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jeeper
Kammik Pongo pad is what I'm using now. Insulated and not as crinkly sounding as neoairs. I haven't touched the neoairs since I got it.

smile Not a big selection.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It looks like you already made your choice, but, for others looking into this, the Exped Dura 8R is a great pad, especially if warmth and durability are paramount and saving weight isn't of much concern.

The Exped pad generally receives excellent reviews, and it incorporates down as an insulating material, which results in a much quieter, non-crinkly pad compared to those that use reflective foil as insulation. I'm not sure how the down is encapsulated into the pad, so moisture could be a concern, but I've not heard that it's been a problem.

I picked one up for 50% off retail just before the holidays but haven't tried it yet.

Here is a link:

Exped Dura 8R

A couple reviews:

HuntingLife.com
GearJunkie

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Brad

Brad,

Brown bear over the 4th of July launching via my place in north Idaho. Jake Jefferson is the guide/owner. Fly into Anchorage, spend the night then on his plane to "I haven't a clue"...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
It looks like you already made your choice, but, for others looking into this, the Exped Dura 8R is a great pad, especially if warmth and durability are paramount and saving weight isn't of much concern.

The Exped pad generally receives excellent reviews, and it incorporates down as an insulating material, which results in a much quieter, non-crinkly pad compared to those that use reflective foil as insulation. I'm not sure how the down is encapsulated into the pad, so moisture could be a concern, but I've not heard that it's been a problem.

I picked one up for 50% off retail just before the holidays but haven't tried it yet.

Here is a link:

Exped Dura 8R

A couple reviews:

HuntingLife.com
GearJunkie
The Exped Downmat 7 and 9 are both extremely comfortable and warm, but not my first choice for packpacking. I love them for truck camping, though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM

Brad,

Brown bear over the 4th of July launching via my place in north Idaho. Jake Jefferson is the guide/owner. Fly into Anchorage, spend the night then on his plane to "I haven't a clue"...

Hi Ed, so given you'll be there in July, no need for the extra weight of the Xtherm - unless of course this isn't a backpack trip, in which case I'd get something thicker and even more comfortable than the Xtherm (yes, I have one).

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't like air core pads. I am a huge fan of the Thermarest Prolite Plus. I think the Sea to Summit self inflating series of pads is pretty good as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM

Brad,

Hi Ed, so given you'll be there in July, no need for the extra weight of the Xtherm - unless of course this isn't a backpack trip, in which case I'd get something thicker and even more comfortable than the Xtherm (yes, I have one).
Brad,

Have you tried the NXT? It's thicker and more comfortable than the original XTherm, IME. Tough to beat a Downmat 9 for comfort.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by EdM

Brad,

Brad,

Have you tried the NXT? It's thicker and more comfortable than the original XTherm, IME. Tough to beat a Downmat 9 for comfort.

If I knew I’d never use it in the cold I wouldn’t get an Xtherm. Otherwise, unless I wanted to buy multiple purpose specific sleeping pads, I’d get the Xtherm. Weight difference is insignificant, especially when measured against performance difference. I’m a one pad for all use (other than car camping) guy. Weight adds up pretty quick when you’re flying also. I’d take that into consideration when looking at bigger/heavier pads.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM

Brad,

Brad,

Jordan, no - the fact you mentioned the newer NXT went right past me! I haven't used it. I have the older version. It's nicely warm and plenty comfortable. However, Nemo is upgrading their Tensor line slowly this year. Most folks consider the Tensor's more comfortable than the Neoair's. All are going to 3.5" thickness and better R values. They do, however, average around 1.5 oz's heavier than the Neoairs.

The first they've upgraded is the "Extreme" model, which competes with the Xtherm, but is 3.5" thick and R8.5. Going forward, I'm switching over to Tensor's.

https://www.nemoequipment.com/colle...or-extreme-ultralight-mountaineering-pad

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (808outdoors, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,392 guests, and 792 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,496
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.