A Jordan masterpiece 😁 and is a good illustration of the problem
Oh yeah. It’ll be worth millions some day. grin

Just like Hunter’s huh? 😁
Something like that! Haha

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
An informed long-range rifleman will tell his gun builder to make sure and clock that barrel up dead nuts at 12:00. A good long-range gun builder will answer with way ahead of ya partner.

IYKYK

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
So, with a little practice it seems canting the rifle into the wind could allow holding on the target and letting the amount of cant to handle windage.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Then that would screw with the elevation.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by mathman
Not quite.
Yup. The orientation of the reticle makes no difference to this particular issue (albeit, if you are holding over using the reticle, then a level reticle results in consistent windage offset as a function of distance). If the horizontal axis of the bullet's trajectory is not aligned with the LOS, i.e., if the centerline of the bore is not directly underneath the center of the reticle, the windage changes with distance.
The windage does not change with distance unless you adjust the scope to center at some distance. If the scope is offset 1/4" (one quarter inch) to the left, and the rifle is sighted to hit center at 100 yd, it will hit two and a quarter inches right at 1000. If the rifle is sighted to hit center at 1000 yds, it will never be more the 1/4" off at any range under 1000 yds (ignoring the effect of wind and mirage, of course). If the rifle is sighted to hit 1/4 inch left at 100, it will be 1/4 inch left from zero to infinity. The higher the scope is mounted, the more offset will result from the same amount of cant. With adjustable stocks, cant can be minimized for any position. If you can't use an adjustable stock (rules etc.) you make the stock to work in one position, and adjust your body for the rest! GD

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by greydog
Not quite.
Yup. The orientation of the reticle makes no difference to this particular issue (albeit, if you are holding over using the reticle, then a level reticle results in consistent windage offset as a function of distance). If the horizontal axis of the bullet's trajectory is not aligned with the LOS, i.e., if the centerline of the bore is not directly underneath the center of the reticle, the windage changes with distance.
The windage does not change with distance unless you adjust the scope to center at some distance. If the scope is offset 1/4" (one quarter inch) to the left, and the rifle is sighted to hit center at 100 yd, it will hit two and a quarter inches right at 1000. If the rifle is sighted to hit center at 1000 yds, it will never be more the 1/4" off at any range under 1000 yds (ignoring the effect of wind and mirage, of course). If the rifle is sighted to hit 1/4 inch left at 100, it will be 1/4 inch left from zero to infinity. The higher the scope is mounted, the more offset will result from the same amount of cant. With adjustable stocks, cant can be minimized for any position. If you can't use an adjustable stock (rules etc.) you make the stock to work in one position, and adjust your body for the rest! GD

Good summary, however spin drift prevents the above 1000 yard sight zero scenario from working as described if you are referring to actual point of impacts. If you are only referring to line of sight your description is correct.

Last edited by MikeS; 09/05/23. Reason: Added intro

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yes. I ignored ,wind, mirage, spin drift, gyroscopic precession, and direction of the shot. In truth, any time I have turn an "X" into an eight, it was because I missed a wind change. I could never fins anything else to blame. GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
True that on the wind! I do treat spin drift as a constant in relation to impact whereas all of the others are variable. At those all too rare times when I have a perfect 1000 yard no wind zero, I would then shoot at 500 yards and see a consistent POI 1/2 MOA left which centers the group on the left X ring line and asking for 9s or worse. I had to ask one of our top national shooters why that was and then the light bulb turned on...of course he additionally said "that's what sighters are for." grin

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greydog
Not quite.
Or, said another way, unless the windage component of the POI is set to exactly match the bore offset (not the scope offset) at some distance downrange, windage will change with distance.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes it can

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Yes it can

Well played Bb, well played.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 72 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,099
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.