S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Thanks for the info Red Spruce and BSA.

I generally try to buy rifles a couple $100 to the good on the buy, but one thing I've learned when going to gun auctions around here, or seeing sale bills from local auctions with the prices written down, is that if you even buy good rifles at fair current price you're way ahead of the game in a few yrs. At least that's been the trend ever since Obama got in and it hasn't changed yet. I shake my head every time I'm dumb enough to go to a good auction and think I can buy something.

I don't sell rifles, or have only ever sold a few, but I try to keep spending my money wisely if in the future it's ever needed.

That is a good way to be. If you ever decided you want to sell that rifle, you will know that you will always be able to get your money back. Just keep it in very good condition and you'll be set. That doesn't mean you can't use it, just be careful with it. Condition is everything, when it comes to value...

It's not mint, they almost never are unless NIB and even then I've seen some older rifles NIB with marks, but overall condition and what the muzzle looks like I don't believe it was used or shot much. Hard to get a steal online and I believe I just bought it at a fair price, but it's the one I liked. I've been looking for a nice 7mm-08, wasn't necessarily looking for or set on a FWT as that 7mm-08, but there it was. Just based on pictures only at this point, I'm glad I got it.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...eatherweight-7mm-08.cfm?gun_id=102426270

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The thing I look for is iron sights.
Before I had lasix iron sights were useless to me.
Not now.
The “ short action” is also desirable in the post 64 model 70 I believe.

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/29/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Anything to look for in older push feed verses later CRF at the New Haven plant? Good, bad?

I will probably be the only nay sayer here. Buy either one of the push feeds but leave the New Haven CRF alone. We had more trouble with New Haven guns when I worked at the LGS than all the others put together.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
I have always liked the push feed M70’s. The 270 Featherweight push feed that I used to have was as smooth as glass.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Angus1895
The thing I look for is iron sights.
Before I had lasix iron sights were useless to me.
Not now.
The “ short action” is also desirable in the post 64 model 70 I believe.

I hear ya. I got a decent amount of good scoped rifles, plenty of which are tack drivers, at least by my definition. The last 3 deer I shot I killed with open sights using 3 different rifles. All I carried. I do enjoy both shooting and hunting with iron sights.

Originally Posted by ingwe
Anything to look for in older push feed verses later CRF at the New Haven plant? Good, bad?

I will probably be the only nay sayer here. Buy either one of the push feeds but leave the New Haven CRF alone. We had more trouble with New Haven guns when I worked at the LGS than all the others put together.

Too late! For better or worse I bought the 7mm-08. Ha. It's the one I wanted, time will tell if it's a good one. Hope so.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What problems do New Haven crf have?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have only owned one of the New Haven CRF rifles, it is a five digit SN Classic Stainless .30-06 and it is far and away my favorite big game hunting rifle. I bought it used in the summer of 2003. It was the first rifle I ever saw with Matte Stainless steel finish and a walnut stock.

As Roger Rule has so excellently done for the Pre-64 models, someone here needs to compile a Winchester Model 70 1964-BACO book with pictures, features, serial numbers etc. for that generation of guns. I would buy that!!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Angus1895
What problems do New Haven crf have?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

They look great, and they shoot damn well:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The only problem with that one, is I did not hit the orange dot. It's not a Tikka..

I like Ingwe, but I think he's generalizing. Probably talking about the 7 digit classic, as I explained some of the issues those had. Redneck would be the one to ask about the model 70. Ingwe is biased toward the pushfeed model.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by filmjunkie4ever
I have only owned one of the New Haven CRF rifles, it is a five digit SN Classic Stainless .30-06 and it is far and away my favorite big game hunting rifle. I bought it used in the summer of 2003. It was the first rifle I ever saw with Matte Stainless steel finish and a walnut stock.

As Roger Rule has so excellently done for the Pre-64 models, someone here needs to compile a Winchester Model 70 1964-BACO book with pictures, features, serial numbers etc. for that generation of guns. I would buy that!!

That would be a great book. Good suggestion..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
My pf fwt in 6.5x55 is the tits. Fiddleback stock, smooth and shoots nice..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A bit late to the party. . . but I'd have chosen the 7-08 as well. I owned one back in the '90's. But not because of looks! In fact, it was because of the price ($350). I was attending a shop on a fairly regular basis, looking for a particular rifle scope for a .45-70 and got a v.good deal. The young manager was always trying to sell me "the store" or anything in it, including a Featherweight M70 in 7-08 that someone brought in after having made an attempt to inlet the barrel using five thumbs on each hand - it (at first appearance) looked like a mess! The young manager was offering it for $450. I turned it down a few times until he got to $350 and I bought it thinking I could clean it up a bit, then sell it making $100 profit.

It turned into a beautiful rifle that shot everything (handloads) "lights out"! It shortly became a favorite. I kept it for a year or two and then traded it for a nearly new 7 Rem Mag, 700 BDL with little cost to me! Not that I needed either, but both were for learning and teaching.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 12/31/23.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
1) 82 xtr pf 7x57
2) 91 pf 6.5x55
3) crf classic 7/08

Interesting, as they did have XTR's chambered in 6.5x55. Not sure if they had the 7x57 in the post XTR variant though. That 5 digit 7mm-08 would be the one I'd get. Personally. Or the XTR fwt. Both pretty intriguing.

Yep, but ‘86 was the first run. They did do a late run in ‘91.

Thanks AK. Those were imported from the European market, or something like that?

Yes - with sights.

Here’s a generously priced late run gun that just showed up - script featherweight.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1029042590

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
1) 82 xtr pf 7x57
2) 91 pf 6.5x55
3) crf classic 7/08

Interesting, as they did have XTR's chambered in 6.5x55. Not sure if they had the 7x57 in the post XTR variant though. That 5 digit 7mm-08 would be the one I'd get. Personally. Or the XTR fwt. Both pretty intriguing.

Thanks AK. Those were imported from the European market, or something like that?

Yes - with sights.

Here’s a generously priced late run gun that just showed up - script featherweight.

Did you happen to see that major gouge on the top of the stock? Whew. Pic # 11. It got a bid on it at that.

Got mine in hand today. Really happy with it. For what it's worth I called Winchester and gave them the serial number, and was told it's a 1995 model. Don't know where that falls in the New Haven made CRF FWT's, but I like the rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
1) 82 xtr pf 7x57
2) 91 pf 6.5x55
3) crf classic 7/08

Yes - with sights.

Did you happen to see that major gouge on the top of the stock? Whew. Pic # 11. It got a bid on it at that.

Got mine in hand today. Really happy with it. For what it's worth I called Winchester and gave them the serial number, and was told it's a 1995 model. Don't know where that falls in the New Haven made CRF FWT's, but I like the rifle.

I just looked at that one. Since the 6.5x55 is fairly rare, it will probably sell for upwards of $1,350.00-$1,400.00, even though it is a pushfeed. It is a post XTR FWT, and those are pretty dang popular. Basically the same rifle as the XTR FWT, but considered a post XTR. With that being said, I'd still take the rifle you got, over that one. Mainly because of the ding in the stock, and yours is a 5 digit classic. Being the way I am, that stock would not stay on there. So, I'd have to consider how much a replacement stock is going to cost, and figure that into the overall price. At that point, it starts becoming way over priced, by a fair margin. Even if I were to sell the original stock, to recoup some of the money on the new stock. Just how I see things..

Also, if your only means of buying a rifle is surfing the web, you are likely never going to find the smoking deals that those of us find out in person. That rifle that I posted a pic of, was bought 3 months ago, and is a 5 digit classic. Picked it up for less than $600, in almost perfect condition. Didn't appear to have ever been fired. It's the compact model, which is pretty rare as well. Those are the kinds of deals that are out there, if you stretch your legs a bit..

Keep us posted on how your rifle shoots. Looks like a nice one

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
1) 82 xtr pf 7x57
2) 91 pf 6.5x55
3) crf classic 7/08

Yes - with sights.

I just looked at that one. Since the 6.5x55 is fairly rare, it will probably sell for upwards of $1,350.00-$1,400.00, even though it is a pushfeed. It is a post XTR FWT, and those are pretty dang popular. Basically the same rifle as the XTR FWT, but considered a post XTR. With that being said, I'd still take the rifle you got, over that one. Mainly because of the ding in the stock, and yours is a 5 digit classic. Being the way I am, that stock would not stay on there. So, I'd have to consider how much a replacement stock is going to cost, and figure that into the overall price. At that point, it starts becoming way over priced, by a fair margin. Even if I were to sell the original stock, to recoup some of the money on the new stock. Just how I see things..

Also, if your only means of buying a rifle is surfing the web, you are likely never going to find the smoking deals that those of us find out in person. That rifle that I posted a pic of, was bought 3 months ago, and is a 5 digit classic. Picked it up for less than $600, in almost perfect condition. Didn't appear to have ever been fired. It's the compact model, which is pretty rare as well. Those are the kinds of deals that are out there, if you stretch your legs a bit..

Keep us posted on how your rifle shoots. Looks like a nice one

Yeah, I got a fair number of rifles, very few were purchased online. I scour the local market and wait patiently until the right rifle at the right price strikes me. Quite a few I confidently felt were double my money guns the day I bought them. I think this is the second rifle that I feel I paid at, or close to retail. Like the other one I wanted it, so it didn't really matter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that they are great looking rifle and that their schnabel forearm tip is the best looking one ever put on an American factory built rifle. It puts the ugly schnabel that Remington put on their Model 7 to shame. I like this stock so much that I restocked my Model 70 Lightweight Carbines in 250-3000 with them so that they would look something like the early Savage Model 1920s.

I've had them in 223, 6mm REM, 257 ROB, 6.5x55, 6.5-284 rechambered from 6.5x55, 270, 7x57, and 30-06. I still have the 6.5x55 and the 6.5-284. I put the 6.5-284 into a Win-Lite (McMillan) FWT stock and was interested in a Win-Tuff FWT stock for the 6.5x55, but they seldom come up for sale and I have yet to win one that I bid on.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Look at the lightweights I have a featherweight xtr 80s vintage as well as several lightweights there a rare breed

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,227
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.