Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RHClark
I am leaning toward the Kahr CM9 or a used PM9. I've owned a 43 which was reliable but not exceptional in any way. I might be interested in a Sig 365 but I could basically buy two CM 9's for the same price. I haven't seen the Hellcat.

The single action sigs are great guns I am sure, but I don't favor single action for pocket carry. With a good holster fine but I don't feel as comfortable just dropping it in a coat pocket like I do with the Kahr. A light trigger Glock is about the same for needing a dedicated holster IMHO.

The Hellcat micro compact is a half inch longer than the CM9. OTOH, some people just can't get used to the Kahr trigger - which IMO, is excellent. But I've been living with Kahrs since they first appeared, so there's that.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What current production or at least readily available 9mm is the smallest and most reliable?

For starters, I am assuming that 1 and 2 shot derringers are not on your list of candidates, nor rimfire guns. With that in mind, the winner is:

Sig P365.

I'm not sure if it is actually the smallest, but if you go to handgunhero.com you can find out. They are perfectly reliable. I owned and carried one for the same factors you asked about--size and reliability. But, I also liked the 365 for factors that you didn't ask about--ammo capacity and night sights. I looked hard at the G43 and G43x, but they are single stack guns and come with the Glock plastic sights. However, I ultimately sold my 365 to my sister (who still carries it) and went with the 365XL, because it has a slide milled for a red dot. No regrets. You'll find that almost everyone loves the P365. If they don't, it's due to personal preference, not function.

Kahr PM9 and CM9

The PM is the CM with just "better" parts. Otherwise they are the same same. I owned and carried a PM9 for several years. At the time, it really was the smallest 9mm available. Mine had night sights and with the extended magazine, carried 7+1 rds (the standard flush fit mag is 6 rds). It was fine. That trigger isn't for everyone. It's a lonnggg pull--like a double action revolver. It didn't bother me, but some folks absolutely hate it. I sold it and swapped into the Sig P365 for the higher ammo capacity. Plus, the P365 grip was a big improvement for me.

Sig P238

This is the .380 version of the P938. My buddy carries a P938 regularly and really likes it. I've shot the 938 and don't have any serious gripes about it, but I don't want an external safety on my carry gun. I sold my P238 mostly because of the safety. I went to the Kahr PM9, because I could get a 9mm gun in the roughly the same size as my .380 without the safety and it was 9mm. At the time, .380's were not nearly as well-accepted as a "real" self-defense guns, and more importantly, the ammo was about 50% more expensive than 9mm. It was a win/win for me--better caliber and cheaper to shoot.

I have also owned some others. Some I still have, some have been sold. But, the above guns are the ones that best fit your criteria and are guns that I have experience with.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
P365 I believe is the smallest 10 shot and Ruger EC9S may be one of the smallest single stacks. Or both use to be. I have one of each, both reliable and accurate.
Shield+ is a nice small higher capacity carry gun. Though I had to put talon tape on the grip because it is pretty ruff and I was getting a rash. Lol

The EC9s is also bigger and heavier than the CM9. It's a half inch longer and a full inch taller, yet carries only one more round (which the CM9 can also do with the extended factory mag that is less than an inch longer).

I agree that the Shield Plus is a great higher capacity pistol, but nowhere near smallest.

You are correct about the Kahr being all around smaller than the Ruger. It's almost LCP small.
I never paid much attention to Kahr's pistols. I might have to check one out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Waders
What current production or at least readily available 9mm is the smallest and most reliable?

For starters, I am assuming that 1 and 2 shot derringers are not on your list of candidates, nor rimfire guns. With that in mind, the winner is:

Sig P365.

I'm not sure if it is actually the smallest, but if you go to handgunhero.com you can find out. They are perfectly reliable. I owned and carried one for the same factors you asked about--size and reliability. But, I also liked the 365 for factors that you didn't ask about--ammo capacity and night sights. I looked hard at the G43 and G43x, but they are single stack guns and come with the Glock plastic sights. However, I ultimately sold my 365 to my sister (who still carries it) and went with the 365XL, because it has a slide milled for a red dot. No regrets. You'll find that almost everyone loves the P365. If they don't, it's due to personal preference, not function.

Kahr PM9 and CM9

The PM is the CM with just "better" parts. Otherwise they are the same same. I owned and carried a PM9 for several years. At the time, it really was the smallest 9mm available. Mine had night sights and with the extended magazine, carried 7+1 rds (the standard flush fit mag is 6 rds). It was fine. That trigger isn't for everyone. It's a lonnggg pull--like a double action revolver. It didn't bother me, but some folks absolutely hate it. I sold it and swapped into the Sig P365 for the higher ammo capacity. Plus, the P365 grip was a big improvement for me.

Sig P238

This is the .380 version of the P938. My buddy carries a P938 regularly and really likes it. I've shot the 938 and don't have any serious gripes about it, but I don't want an external safety on my carry gun. I sold my P238 mostly because of the safety. I went to the Kahr PM9, because I could get a 9mm gun in the roughly the same size as my .380 without the safety and it was 9mm. At the time, .380's were not nearly as well-accepted as a "real" self-defense guns, and more importantly, the ammo was about 50% more expensive than 9mm. It was a win/win for me--better caliber and cheaper to shoot.

I have also owned some others. Some I still have, some have been sold. But, the above guns are the ones that best fit your criteria and are guns that I have experience with.

Good point about the night sights. I don't know if you can get them for the CM9. At any rate, the front sight isn't dovetailed, so changing isn't so easy. They are available on the PM9 though. Currently, there are P-series Kahrs with a light/laser rail (actually labeled S series), but not any of the micros.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Had a lcp couldn’t hit schit with it

IC B2

R
RHClark Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I've owned a Kahr P-380 for probably 10 years. I've had some issues but have overall worked them out. It is picky about ammo, and not forgiving of a weak grip. It is also extremely accurate for such a small gun. I like the trigger. If I was strictly shooting targets, I would prefer a 2 lb. 1911 style trigger, but I have no problem and actually prefer a long smooth trigger with no safety on a defensive gun, especially one that could be dropped in a pocket or put in a fanny pack without a holster.

I am a bit concerned about reliability issues with the Kahr considering the issues I had with the P-380. The Glock 43 I owned before the 43X came out never malfunctioned with any ammo.

Last edited by RHClark; 01/13/24.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Mine don’t like ruger arx ammo

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've owned a Kahr P-380 for probably 10 years. I've had some issues but have overall worked them out. It is picky about ammo, and not forgiving of a weak grip. It is also extremely accurate for such a small gun. I like the trigger. If I was strictly shooting targets, I would prefer a 2 lb. 1911 style trigger, but I have no problem and actually prefer a long smooth trigger with no safety on a defensive gun, especially one that could be dropped in a pocket or put in a fanny pack without a holster.

I am a bit concerned about reliability issues with the Kahr considering the issues I had with the P-380. The Glock 43 I owned before the 43X came out never malfunctioned with any ammo.

The P380 is well known among Kahr fans for some curable problems and ammo sensitivity. It's a different animal. The PM and CM9 begin as the same platform and inner dimensions as the P9, and appear to continue the same tradition of reliability. My bone stock CM9 has been perfectly reliable with all the various loads I've tried in it. I suspect that it could be subject to limp wristing effects with some people, but I haven't seen it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Waders

Sig P365.

Kahr PM9 and CM9

Sig P238

Good point about the night sights. I don't know if you can get them for the CM9. At any rate, the front sight isn't dovetailed, so changing isn't so easy. They are available on the PM9 though. Currently, there are P-series Kahrs with a light/laser rail (actually labeled S series), but not any of the micros.
I had a P365, a hellcat Micro and a Kahr CM9.

The CM9 (PM9) is the smallest 9mm I've ever seen or handled. I could actually carry it comfortably in my front pocket, which I can NOT do with any other 9mm, including the Hellcat Micro or the P365.

Some bemoan the trigger because of the looong stroke. It's a great trigger, like a well tuned double-action S&W trigger. But I suggest you try the trigger before you buy one.

The PM9 besides the upgraded barrel and slide morphology, has front & rear sight dovetails. The 'P' series Kahr's 'generally' come with night sights and 3 magazines.

The CM9's front sight is staked or? and it takes someone with the correct tools to put night sights on one. Night sights, last I checked (awhile ago) were available thru Kahr.

I sold my CM9 only because it did not have night sights on it, was considering getting the slide milled for a front sight, but instead decided to sell it and get a PM9 (which I have yet to do).

Besides the CM9, I've had a CW9, a TP45 and now have a P45. No issues and I was surprised at how accurate they are... I could never shoot a 2" or 3" S&W as well.

The CM/PM9's shine for an always on you gun that you don't have to dress around... slip it into your pocket holster and head out the door.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I got a mk40 for a big brutha to my cws

IC B3

R
RHClark Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I could shoot a tighter group on the same targets with my P380 than I could with the Glock 43. The Glock was combat accurate, but my last few Glocks have not been nearly as accurate as my much older Glock 36. That was the reason I have let them go.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know and can confirm of one reliable 9mm that is smaller than the CM/PM9. And I'm surprised that the usual fanatic hasn't brought it up, but that could be because it's discontinued.

The Keltec PF9. It also has a long but good trigger. But the loose tolerances that probably make it reliable must be why it isn't very accurate by Sig or Kahr standards. Also much less comfortable to shoot.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I know and can confirm of one reliable 9mm that is smaller than the CM/PM9. And I'm surprised that the usual fanatic hasn't brought it up, but that could be because it's discontinued.

The Keltec PF9. It also has a long but good trigger. But the loose tolerances that probably make it reliable must be why it isn't very accurate by Sig or Kahr standards. Also much less comfortable to shoot.
I think that's the gun Nutnfancy used to rave about.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by wreckster84
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Glock 43

This.

I like the 43, too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wish I could say 43 but my results are different than most folks. Have around 750 rounds through my sample of one. It has in the last 100 rounds failed to get next round in the chamber. I am going to change the mag springs and see if that cures it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am leaning toward the Kahr CM9 or a used PM9. I've owned a 43 which was reliable but not exceptional in any way. I might be interested in a Sig 365 but I could basically buy two CM 9's for the same price. I haven't seen the Hellcat.

The single action sigs are great guns I am sure, but I don't favor single action for pocket carry. With a good holster fine but I don't feel as comfortable just dropping it in a coat pocket like I do with the Kahr. A light trigger Glock is about the same for needing a dedicated holster IMHO.

The Hellcat micro compact is a half inch longer than the CM9. OTOH, some people just can't get used to the Kahr trigger - which IMO, is excellent. But I've been living with Kahrs since they first appeared, so there's that.

I had no problems with the Kahr trigger once I got used to it.

It was easier getting used to the trigger on my Hellcat micro, though since I’ve carried Glocks for so many years.

I wouldn’t hesitate to carry the small Kahr 9mm again, other than the magazine capacity.

Between my Springfield HellCat and my Sig P365, I like the HellCat slightly more. Fits my hands a little better. And the 15 + 1 capacity and a spare 15 round mag as a backup is a lot more “reassuring” than when I carried the Kahr 9mm.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I did a lot of DA revolver shooting back in the day. To me the Kahr trigger is very similar to a SW M10, or M19 I did a lot of shooting with. Just a long smooth stroke of the trigger. It's a trigger that someone unfamiliar might need to shoot a bit to get used to, but it's a nice shootable trigger.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I’ve had 2 glock 43s ergos are there but accuracy was not for me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I did a lot of DA revolver shooting back in the day. To me the Kahr trigger is very similar to a SW M10, or M19 I did a lot of shooting with. Just a long smooth stroke of the trigger. It's a trigger that someone unfamiliar might need to shoot a bit to get used to, but it's a nice shootable trigger.

Yep.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
The Kahr CM9 is another tiny one. About 1/2" shorter than the P938.

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/sig-sauer-p938-nitron-vs-kahr-cm9

I had a CW9 for a few years, it's a little bigger than the CM9, but it was always reliable.

My PM9 was absolutely reliable for the 12 years I carried it. Had the armoror for Miami-Dade PD go through it when I first got it. The LGS where I bought it put me in touch with him. I told him to do whatever he would do to it if it was his gun. Came out great.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

356 members (160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 33 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,873
Posts18,478,789
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.