Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by RHClark
What current production or at least readily available 9mm is the smallest and most reliable?

Just thought I'd post this for all the pocket carrying, micro 9mm guys.................

Interesting read & comments from a very experience operator about being able to actually be able to fight at more than touching distance.

In today's world, incidents other than just protection against a close up & personal attack are becoming more & more prevalent & that incidence is likely to go nowhere but up.

MM

Why I carry a gun I can fight with by Mackay_Sagebrush

That's all fine and dandy, but most everyone I've come across in the real world quits carrying their full sized pistols over a period of time, other than a few individuals in high threat environments or old retired white guys with nothing better to do. Sometimes folks will pack a full size gun after a high profile shooting gets their feathers riled up, then they shift back down to a more comfortable gun after a while. You see the same circle of life with internet gun carry threads. There's a constant cycle between "what's the smallest gun for xxxx" to "you need a full sized gun for battling a terrorist cell" and then back again, with a bunch of the same cast of characters.
A P365 handles both situations.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have owned PM9, Shield, G43, G26 and the P365 is more accurate in my hands than the others. Considering usual internet paranoia when something happens, the P365 xmacro 17 round magazine can be carried in your pocket.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I don't know if you can get them for the CM9. At any rate, the front sight isn't dovetailed, so changing isn't so easy. They are available on the PM9 though. Currently, there are P-series Kahrs with a light/laser rail (actually labeled S series), but not any of the micros.

Snap off the front plastic sight with a pliers and there are two holes in the slide. The replacement sight will have two legs to fit the holes, with the rear one threaded. Loctite and insert screw from the bottom.

That seems simple enough. Thanks, JOG. Now if I just knew where to get those night sights.
And this is why one might want to go with the PM instead of the CM. I'm still searching for night sights.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I understand the sentiment and because of that I carry a full-sized H&K USP 40 most times in the winter when I wear a jacket. I carry a G36 other times. The micro is for bike rides when I might be dog attacked, or possibly threatened in any other ways. I don't expect to defeat a mass shooter with one. Even a G36 is too big to endure during a full day in the saddle.
It seems like sometimes the viability of a lightweight shoulder holster, discreetly carrying a pretty fair sized revolver at a slight downward angle (higher in the back than the front) so it can be very quickly and easily accessed from under a sweatshirt, is forgotten. No need for any kind of belt or IWB holster, or even any belt at all (elastic waistband shorts or sweat pants won’t keep falling down), and the shoulders bear any weight for all day comfort. But, I suppose that’s really not an option for those with no revolver experience.

Every day’s an adventure.
R
RHClark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JOG
I don't know if you can get them for the CM9. At any rate, the front sight isn't dovetailed, so changing isn't so easy. They are available on the PM9 though. Currently, there are P-series Kahrs with a light/laser rail (actually labeled S series), but not any of the micros.

Snap off the front plastic sight with a pliers and there are two holes in the slide. The replacement sight will have two legs to fit the holes, with the rear one threaded. Loctite and insert screw from the bottom.

That seems simple enough. Thanks, JOG. Now if I just knew where to get those night sights.
And this is why one might want to go with the PM instead of the CM. I'm still searching for night sights.

I saw a CM somewhere in the last few days that had night sights when I was checking prices. It might have come up from Guns International.

IC B2

R
RHClark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Exchipy
I understand the sentiment and because of that I carry a full-sized H&K USP 40 most times in the winter when I wear a jacket. I carry a G36 other times. The micro is for bike rides when I might be dog attacked, or possibly threatened in any other ways. I don't expect to defeat a mass shooter with one. Even a G36 is too big to endure during a full day in the saddle.
It seems like sometimes the viability of a lightweight shoulder holster, carrying the gun at a slight downward angle so it can be very quickly and easily accessed from under a sweatshirt, is forgotten.

Imagine flying down hills in a completely urban but low traffic area at night on an 18lb racing bicycle that would be at home in the TDF. Even the wheel axels are titanium to save weight. Your water bottle holders are carbon fiber. You look like you are dressed to go deep sea diving, but that's ok because you have experienced the perils of loose clothing before. In such a situation you want the lightest smallest and most reliable possible sidearm.

I have only been attacked once by a dog pack. One trying to get my leg caused a crash that hurt for 6 months. I was surrounded by snapping dogs. I got off the bike prepared to beat them to death with it, if necessary, but they relented. I went on and got up speed and one had been following where I couldn't see it before it caused a higher speed crash. I wouldn't shoot someone's barking and chasing dog. I've been chased hundreds of times but only honestly attacked once. It was enough to make me not want to experience it again. Yes, I do often carry spray as a first deterrent. I have however seen it just further anger a pit looking dog that I simply outran after squirting.

Last edited by RHClark; 01/15/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It seems like sometimes the viability of a lightweight shoulder holster, discreetly carrying a pretty fair sized revolver at a slight downward angle (higher in the back than in the front) so it can be very quickly and easily accessed from under a sweatshirt, is forgotten.
I have only been attacked once by a dog pack. One trying to get my leg caused a crash that hurt for 6 months. I was surrounded by snapping dogs. I got off the bike prepared to beat them to death with it, if necessary, but they relented. I went on and got up speed and one had been following where I couldn't see it before it caused a higher speed crash. I wouldn't shoot someone's barking and chasing dog. I've been chased hundreds of times but only honestly attacked once. It was enough to make me not want to experience it again. Yes, I do often carry spray as a first deterrent. I have however seen it just further anger a pit looking dog that I simply outran after squirting.
A revolver offers the option of loading CCI Shot Cartridges with choice of two different shot sizes (light or heavy), mild wadcutters, and/or full strength loads. Seems like highly effective viscous dog (or other highly dangerous attacker) repellent with reduced risk to nearby “non-combatants.” But, if deployment becomes necessary, I would certainly not stop there to explain, or even travel that same route again for quite some time. Someone severely damaging the “gentle, loving, family pooch” would not likely be greeted warmly by those persons alerted by the commotion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It seems like sometimes the viability of a lightweight shoulder holster, carrying the gun at a slight downward angle so it can be very quickly and easily accessed from under a sweatshirt, is forgotten.

Imagine flying down hills in a completely urban but low traffic area at night on an 18lb racing bicycle that would be at home in the TDF. Even the wheel axels are titanium to save weight. Your water bottle holders are carbon fiber. You look like you are dressed to go deep sea diving, but that's ok because you have experienced the perils of loose clothing before. In such a situation you want the lightest smallest and most reliable possible sidearm.

Yeah, I can understand that scenario & a larger gun won't work.

For that condition, I think I'd try one of the elastic/neoprene type waistband rigs that goes inside your pants with something line a single stack or maybe even a J-frame.

MM

R
RHClark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

Yeah, I can understand that scenario & a larger gun won't work.

For that condition, I think I'd try one of the elastic/neoprene type waistband rigs that goes inside your pants with something line a single stack or maybe even a J-frame.

MM

That's where my thinking has headed. J-frame does have the advantage of being able to load a shotshell or a Glaser and still be 100% reliable. That's why I started the S&W quality thread.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The P365 is my most carried handgun now and I'd recommend it. I shoot it well despite it's size. There's smaller but the P365 keeps a compact size, has good round count for a compact with the option for larger mags, it's been reliable for me, and most importantly, I shoot it well.

If going the revolver route, I haven't used any of the recent model J-frames, but I'm a fan of the Ruger LCR. I use the smaller for pocket carry but prefer shooting the 3" model. Crimson Trace grips could be a nice addition...not required but it could be helpful on a moving dog, especially if in a physical position not normally used when shooting and sight alignment could be tough.

The HPG kit bag would be an easy way to carry while biking, easily accessible, and for any other small items like a phone, keys, etc. It works across different models/types. With a kydex trigger guard tied off to the inner tab, the side can be left unzipped for one hand access.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's where my thinking has headed. J-frame does have the advantage of being able to load a shotshell or a Glaser and still be 100% reliable. That's why I started the S&W quality thread.
While the carrying of a self defense J-Frame loaded with different specialty rounds of increasing strength and effectiveness is not usually recommended, the bike rider versus viscous dog scenario presents an obvious exception, if done with some thought to the potential for differing hostile encounters. Loading the cylinder to present its 5 rounds in the following order is one possibility: a CCI light shot; a CCI heavy shot, a light target wadcutter or a Glaser; a plus P hollow point; and a final plus P hollow point. Depending upon the anticipated need, either another CCI heavy shot or another plus P hollow point could be substituted for the wadcutter or Glaser.

If viscous dogs are anticipated to be the only reasonable possibility, then loading all CCI shot cartridges would seem best, and in an AirLite revolver. Out of the snub nosed revolver, CCI shot spreads out surprisingly quickly, allowing some margin for aiming error. Within a remarkably short distance, the spread is so great as to minimize effectiveness on small targets (vipers and such), but may still discourage an attacking dog. However, the closer it gets to you, the worse it’ll be for it. For your anti-dog purposes, your shots need not be particularly effective beyond 3 or 4 yards; in fact, it’s better if they’re not.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The Sig P938 was Ethan Edwards's go-to carry gun.

Ethan Edwards packed a Colt's SAA 4 3/4". Not sure what caliber.

44-40 to match his "92 Winchester.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JOG

I saw a CM somewhere in the last few days that had night sights when I was checking prices. It might have come up from Guns International.
"And this is why one might want to go with the PM instead of the CM."
When weighing the cost of the P/PM_ over the CW/M_ series consider the cost of night sights and that you 'generally' get two additional magazines (w/ the P/PM series).

"Now if I just knew where to get those night sights."
Link to Kahr's night sights; https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/parts-accessories/kahr-arms/sights/

Specifically this one; https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/f...m-pro-cm-cw-ct-s-series-except-cw380acp/

I think(?) this is the correct screw for the CW/M series front sights, if ordering the sights I'd grab an extra screw... Just in case; https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/kahr-front-night-sight-installation-screw/

Jerry

Also, due to tritium having a limited lifespan, when ordering night sights I usually tell the sales rep that I want the ones with the latest manufacture date.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Smallest thing in 9mm that I carry is a Taurus G3c . Yep , it's cheap but in over 2000 rounds it's also been 100% reliable.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
What current production or at least readily available 9mm is the smallest and most reliable?

Just thought I'd post this for all the pocket carrying, micro 9mm guys.................

Interesting read & comments from a very experience operator about being able to actually be able to fight at more than touching distance.

In today's world, incidents other than just protection against a close up & personal attack are becoming more & more prevalent & that incidence is likely to go nowhere but up.

MM

Why I carry a gun I can fight with by Mackay_Sagebrush

That's all fine and dandy, but most everyone I've come across in the real world quits carrying their full sized pistols over a period of time, other than a few individuals in high threat environments or old retired white guys with nothing better to do. Sometimes folks will pack a full size gun after a high profile shooting gets their feathers riled up, then they shift back down to a more comfortable gun after a while. You see the same circle of life with internet gun carry threads. There's a constant cycle between "what's the smallest gun for xxxx" to "you need a full sized gun for battling a terrorist cell" and then back again, with a bunch of the same cast of characters.
A P365 handles both situations.

Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything.

The information was put out there. Some people can learn from it, and some will brush it off. To each their own. It reminds me of many years ago when I worked as a Trooper on the interstate during the winter time. You would see people flying past on snowy and ice covered roads. They would be doing 60,70, even 80+ miles an hour on a sheet of ice.

Invariably they would end up rolling their vehicle, or crashing into something. I heard the same two things over and over, year after year.

"I don't know what happened"
and
"I am a good driver, really"

Some people can learn from the experience of others and some will ignore those lessons and rely on a strategy of hope and luck.

If hope and luck if a person's strategy for personal protection or driving in the winter time, so be it. I choose to slow down, wear a seat belt and carry a gun that I can perform well with.

Others can do as they see fit.

Most people will never need their seat belt!

Hopefully.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EddieSouthgate
Smallest thing in 9mm that I carry is a Taurus G3c . Yep , it's cheap but in over 2000 rounds it's also been 100% reliable.

+1 for the Taurus G3c. Local Dunham's always has sales going on. I had been eyeballing the G3c, Hellcat, Glock 43 for some time.

Dunham's had Black Friday G3c $199 after $30 rebate. Bought it. Bought a UM Tactical IWB plastic holster also that had Black Friday discounts, $28 including ship.

To date I have ~300 rounds through it, mostly 115, 124, 147 std velo with some Speer 124 +P Gold Dot in the mix. Shoots n feeds reliable, 12+1 capacity.

Prior to the G3c for edc I used either FEG P9M or Taurus 445TI 44 special w/hard cast 220 gr gcswc at 850 fps.

I like what Mackay said above, hope to never need my seat belt.

Edit to add: Always practice situational awareness

Last edited by Mr_TooDogs; 01/16/24.

GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG

Well...when I looked before, I couldn't find them anywhere, even on Kahr's website. But now I managed with a search to find Truglo Tritiums on the Kahr site for all C and S series.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had a P365 for a while but I found the magazines difficult to load and also had a few occasions where the the slide did not return to battery. I now carry a P239 and it has been trouble free and accurate.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This guy got me thinking about a small automatic...

https://gunblast.com/Ruger-MAX9.htm

"The MAX-9 represents the next step in the evolution of concealed-carry pistols, and I cannot recommend it highly enough."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5thShock
This guy got me thinking about a small automatic...

https://gunblast.com/Ruger-MAX9.htm

"The MAX-9 represents the next step in the evolution of concealed-carry pistols, and I cannot recommend it highly enough."

Also not the smallest.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (1lesfox, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 219DW, 007FJ, 16 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,871
Posts18,478,705
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.