Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
I still can't identify a turkey as a big game critter.

That one always made me laugh as well. It's a bird ,customarily ground sluiced with a shotgun during mating season. How people get so worked up about it is wayyyy beyond me.
I agree with you guys. The Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency sees it differently, however.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TheKid
. . . No animal can live with its heart/lung area scrambled. No animal knows or cares what cartridge did the scrambling. . . . . .

That ^ ^ ^ ^ right ^ ^ ^ ^ there

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MickinColo
These 223 arguments always deteriorate to stupid, It doesn't take too much to kill a man if you don't care how humane you do it, just ask the boys in Chicago.

I'm not bad-mouthing your 223, the use of it on deer has been going on for years. I was referring to this;

Originally Posted by gregintenn
Are people small or big game?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by hanco
If you are shooting at big game it’s a big game rifle, at varmints, a Varmint rifle!

You couldn’t be wronger.

All this “shoot it with a rifle, it becomes what you shot with it” is still wrong. Killing a grizzly bear with a 22 makes 22 a big game rifle, is a crock. Certainly you can kill big game with a varmint cartridge, but that doesn’t change the cartridge, or its intended purpose.

The Campfire is full of people singing the virtues of a 223, fast twist and heavy bullets has become a big game cartridge, when it is still a varmint cartridge that has been modified and used to kill big game.

Arguing the use of a certain cartridge does not change what it is, it just describes what has been done with that cartridge…
Actually, the 223 is a military cartridge known by another name. Are people small or big game?

Actually, the 5.56 was designed to wound people. The Geneva convention outlines the rules of war to include the act of wounding, rather than killing the enemy…

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ll throw my two cents in:
From what I’ve read by Elmer Keith, the construction of bullets available then was poor by today’s standards. Or even a couple decades later. If going after bigger game, then get a larger diameter bullet. 333 OKH etc.
When the 244 came out Remington engineers pretty much seemed to consider that the cartridge was primarily a varmint cartridge. Then the 243 came out and it was considered by many as a better dual purpose cartridge that is varmint and deer.

The belief that a hunter has to go up in caliber to hunt bigger game is not a nearly as common a belief. In my opinion, the big change came in bullet construction. When I was young the best bullet, in my opinion was the partition, but 6.5 mm was the smallest diameter partition.

As I recall, bullet selection for the 6mm’s and the 25 calibers were not that great in the 50’s and 60’s. My ability to buy and test lots of different bullets was hampered by lack of $’s and hunting opportunities. I suppose Winchester and Remington bullets were ok. I couldn't often afford factory ammo though. Most of my deer hunting was with a 03 30-06.

Today, again in my opinion, you can get good performance without having to do what Elmer did. Good penetration and expansion is common even in smaller diameter jacketed bullets.

I still consider the 6mm as a dual purpose varmint/deer cartridge. It’s one of my favorite pronghorn and coyote cartridges - the other would be the 25-06.

I also consider most 22 caliber cartridges as varmint cartridges that’ll do in a pinch for small deer.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Well you have convinced me. All of my guns are Multi-purpose guns.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
These 223 arguments always deteriorate to stupid, It doesn't take too much to kill a man if you don't care how humane you do it, just ask the boys in Chicago.

I'm not bad-mouthing your 223, the use of it on deer has been going on for years. I was referring to this;

Are people small or big game?

MaMa Cass killed herself with a ham sandwich. So a 22 should be able to work.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
What no one has mentioned, unless I missed it, is the volume of shooting.
If you`ve shot Rockchucks in the mountains, load some 110 HP in your 270 at about 3300 fps, and see them bounce...the 243 with a 55 grn SP at close to 4k will really take them apart, but would I sit at a bench or prone with bi-pod and shoot 50-100 rounds,or 200 rounds at P.D. in a day with either? Not unless I wanted to change out my barrel on either after a couple of days.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Well all depends on what you think is "big" game. Our deer are about 100-110 average. A German Shepard weighs more and is more dangerous, as are the feral pit bulls that are throw outs off dirt roads and pack up. I carry a 6mm Varmint AR 18" on my line cart, for riding fence. I can reach out and touch them with 80s at 3k. For hogs I bring the 358 AR 16" to the engagement with 200s at 2.5k..Bear around here are way less dangerous than a big hog. We have some sizable hogs here, in the 5-600 pound range. The very first one I shot weighed 550 pounds, processed meat weighed 275 pounds and they dress at 50%. Big hogs get the 45-70 in the Mauser 300 at 2.7k. So, it all depends. When I shoot something, I intend for it to stay shot.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 54 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,840
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.