Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I wish they'd come out with a 48 concept .45 or 10mm.

+1 & 2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
MS:

Just wondering, but if you were to venture forth into brown bear country whether you would pack your Glock 20 (10MM) or 21 (45ACP). Assume your top-shelf loads in either. I believe you have both, but which one has the edge IYO?

Thanks, in advance.

😁😁😁😁
I'd bet $50,
and im not a gambler or one who risks money!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mr.sagebrush, gave you shot a new Gen 5 model 23 yet? I just bought one and am looking to putting some of your ammo through it.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I love it!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Blue Cs,

I do have both,

While I don't spend much time in Brown bear country, I spend a LOT of time in Grizzly country, and more often than not, I have a .45 with me. Loaded with the heavy, 250 +Ps. They are just the right balance of a heavy load that is easy to shoot fast and accurately. I carry them in both 1911s and Glocks. But now that I have this G21 Gen 5 with the RDO on it, I can see using it substantially more as my primary Grizzly country gun.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Mr.sagebrush, gave you shot a new Gen 5 model 23 yet? I just bought one and am looking to putting some of your ammo through it.

I have not shot the Gen5 Model 23 yet. But I was talking with someone who is extremely knowledgeable on the subject and it was clear that Glock really made significant improvements with the Gen 5s. Heavier slides (lighter recoil impulse) and very accurate barrels.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’ve been ready to pull the trigger on a USP45 but lack of RDO option held me up so keep going back to the 21 but the accepted accuracy edge of the Hk over a Glock has had me stalled. Think you pushed me over the edge to buy another Glock.

The Gen 5 is a shooter.

I have been reading enough reports that I had to see for myself.

The C&H enclosed emitter RDO really sealed the deal. It was a perfect fit. Now I am just waiting for a clear day when the snow is not blowing sideways and I will stretch its legs out a little.

Really it is good to get out and test gear (as well as yourself) in weather like today. It lets you know how you and your equipment will do. I was not out for long. I can tell you from previous experience that it does not take long and your personal performance will really suffer in cold and windy conditions.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I wish they'd come out with a 48 concept .45 or 10mm.

+1 & 2

Isn't that basically a G36?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Do you have a pic looking through the optic?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I like the looks of that optic from C&H. Did that mount directly to the MOS cut or did it require an adapter plate?

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
I like the looks of that optic from C&H. Did that mount directly to the MOS cut or did it require an adapter plate?

It does look rather robust.

My Gen 2 21 is probably my favorite Glock. It fits like a glove and has the best trigger of any of mine. Now, I have never shot a gen5 to compare it to though.

The old gen 2 has a factory trigger of 4.5 pounds. I haven’t seen another like it. They are usually 5.5 or some models come with a 3.5.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mac, is it a Blue label?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with Mackay. I prefer the cold to the heat. Additionally, I've done what Mackay describes above many times. I've endured the very cold, less than ideal conditions, to shoot and experiment with a new toy. There end the similarities. I consider myself a good shot. But, when I look at your pictured groupings I think to myself; "self, you can't shoot that well on a completely still, 70 degree day". Well done Mackay and thanks for the report.

ΞœΞŸΞ›Ξ©Ξ ΛΑΒΕ
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Great post Mac as usual..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by ironbender
Do you have a pic looking through the optic?

This is the one I went with.

50K hour battery life. Shake awake. It comes with a mounting plate. Well thought out design. Zero complaints. Was super simple to mount. The screws came with some loctite and I added a tiny bit more. Screwed it down, left it alone for 24 hours and I was done.

What I thought was interesting was how it was pretty much on the money. At twenty yards I was about 1.5"s low. I made one adjustment and was dead on. That was it, as you can see by this pic.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Friends,

Those who are long time Campfire readers and participants are likely to know that I have been an advocate of the Glock 21 .45 ACP for many years, having a couple decades worth of experience with them. I have used the G21 Gen 3 as a duty, competition, hunting and large animal defense gun. To be honest I really did not pay much attention to the Gen 4s when they came out. However I did pick up a Gen 5 G 20, and it had some very interesting upgrades. Enough so that it piqued my interest about perhaps getting my hands on a Gen 5 G21. Plus I had heard a few people make some comments about the Gen 5 G21 being super accurate. Honestly I was curious about this, as I knew from shooting the Gen 3 that the G21.3 is extremely accurate. Far more than most really realize.

Skipping right to it, I finally got my hands on a G21 Gen 5. It definitely was going to need an RDO to eek out top accuracy performance. So it was topped with a C&H Precision Duty, closed emitter RDO.

Our weather here has been not so hot (literally). But after getting the sight mounted I could not stand not shooting it. Schools were shut down due to blizzard warnings, and kids were driving me nuts so it was a good day to take a mental health break and go to the range, even if it was snowing, the wind was blowing and the temps were in the single digits!

I did have to do a little shovel work first..

But morning found me at the range and surprisingly there were no other vehicle tracks going in!

The wind was blowing a LOT more out of town! But I paced off 20 yards, set up a target and decided to see how close I would be on a USPSA target. I was just shooting over my tailgate with a couple of sandbags. I did not have much desire to drag everything out, as it was brisk out..

Not exactly a fancy setup and the wind was blowing hard enough that it was covering my gear and rocking my target a little.

The first 5 shots over the bags with cold hands/stinging fingers and I had a pretty good idea that this was something to pay attention to.

I went back and made an adjustment, to move the point of impact up. Fired another 5 rounds.

Actually, before I fired the next 5 rounds, I literally did 10 jumping jack and stuck my fingers in my armpits for a minute as they were fairly cold, and I needed to warm them up enough to feel the trigger better.

Yep,

This gun shoots.

BTW, the big window on RDO was very nice. It is one of those things where you instantly know it is the right choice.

I had some old 200 grain LSWCs and put 10 in a mag, just to see how they would group.

They were not bad, but I could tell I was not going to do my best work, as my hands were already getting really cold, but here is the group with those:

I shot 2 mags of my heavy 250+Ps at a relatively quick pace, at part of the backstop, just to confirm function. Ran great, not a real surprise there.

I have been a LONG time advocate of the G21.3 but I can tell already that the Gen 5 is going to cause my old Gen 3 to be put into backup, status.

Quite impressed so far.

There will definitely be more to report with this gun. But I knew I was not going to give it a fair shake due to degraded human performance caused by environmental factors.

Great report. Thank you. I kinda wouldn't mind having one of those to tote around..

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by viking
Originally Posted by VAhuntr

It does look rather robust.

My Gen 2 21 is probably my favorite Glock. It fits like a glove and has the best trigger of any of mine. Now, I have never shot a gen5 to compare it to though.

The old gen 2 has a factory trigger of 4.5 pounds. I haven’t seen another like it. They are usually 5.5 or some models come with a 3.5.

Viking,

In the early 90s I started with a Gen 2. G21. I used it as a work/duty gun until the Gen 3s came out. I really wanted a Gen 3 with the light rail, as I worked nights, so I saved up and got one. My dad still has my Gen 2. That thing is still a solid shooting gun. The Gen 5 though is a completely different gun in comparison.

I did not mention it, in the initial post, but the Gen 5 has less felt recoil. I have always thought the Gen 3s were a soft shooting .45 as compared to other .45s on the market such as the 1911 or S&W 4506 (both of which are outstanding .45s). In my experience and observation the polymer guns just recoil less. The new Gen 5 has less felt recoil than my Gen 3. No question about it.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I'm with Mackay. I prefer the cold to the heat. Additionally, I've done what Mackay describes above many times. I've endured the very cold, less than ideal conditions, to shoot and experiment with a new toy. There end the similarities. I consider myself a good shot. But, when I look at your pictured groupings I think to myself; "self, you can't shoot that well on a completely still, 70 degree day". Well done Mackay and thanks for the report.

Big Sky,

That is because I am only showing the great groups. I have shot LOTS of groups that look like an improved cylinder pattern! More than once I have had to start over and get my fundamentals in check. Not this time, but it happens often enough when I have not been shooting frequently. And I am terrible for trying to shoot over bags.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
What's the capacity?

I like glocks now.
Not enough for your big mitts! 😜

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I traded up from a Gen 4 M41 to MOS M41, I wish it had the Gen 5 updates but I understand there was a problem with the competition models though I don’t know what they could be. I don’t have any complaints with my 41, big magazine, mild recoil, easy to hit with. My carry ammo is 230gr hydra-shok. I did do the 25 cent trigger job on it and it’s more smooth than before without changing any parts.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (22250rem, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 70 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,467 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,609
Posts18,492,450
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.