Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Great thread, Ted.

Have you tried any other cast bullets yet, say TC shaped?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Just give on and quit ignoring it.... I too placed my order today and should have it Monday.
Mickey

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by longarm
Great thread, Ted.

Have you tried any other cast bullets yet, say TC shaped?

Bobcat,

Not in the Gen 5, but I intend to develop a 185 grain Poly-Coat .45 ACP load. The primary goal is pure accuracy, as many bullseye shooters use 185s, and I think that with some work I can develop a load using a Poly-Coat bullet. The Polys can be driven a bit faster, are cleaner in the guns, and are extremely accurate when you find the right node.

Speaking of Polys, I did a .40 load a while back and it turned out exceptionally accurate. I worked on that project for over a year actually, as I wanted a very fast, hard hitting load, that was also extremely accurate (which .40s have never been known for especially when using service type autos), and totally reliable. The end result was a poly-coat 170 grain SWC at 1200 FPS. It was what I envisioned as the perfect trail and town type gun/load for those who do better with standard frames, vs large frames.

It was exceptionally accurate in my Gen 3 Glock 22.

Here are a couple pics from that project:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And a 50 yard group:

I really think it will do much better at 50 yards, I just have not gotten back out and shot it again at 50. I do know that it just drives tacks and is super easy to make precise hits with. It is hands down, the most accurate .40 load I have ever used. By a good margin.

I have some that I just produced that I need to box up, and I will be making a bunch more in the next week or so. I am WAY behind on getting ammo produced, LOL. Tough being a small time guy.

I would really like to see what that load will do in a Gen 5 Glock. Betting it will be an excellent match!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by EQFD193
Ted, thanks for a bunch of great info...I ordered your exact set up G21 Gen 5 MOS with the C&P Duty RDO closed Emitter. But to be fair I do not think my hand gun skills will compare with some of the above displayed groups.

So your comments about my shooting ability and someone else saying the same thing needs to be commented on. You guys are only seeing part of the picture. Today was a good example and I took a pic to show it.

I took out my little J Frame 442 .38 snubby that always rides in my offside front pocket. I shot at 25 yards, shooting over the bags on the tailgate. The first group was absolutely horrible. I mean awful.

I walked down to look at it, and said, what the heck!

Look at this:

I know how the gun should shoot, where it hits (it hits right to the sights at 25 yards with my 148 grain full wadcutters that I use as both practice and carry loads).

Then I realized that when I was shooting I had moved the bags, and the bottom of the gun and my hand was bouncing against a hard surface. The short version is that you can't do that, as you will get very erratic results. So I went back, repostioned the bags and shot again, this time with my hands and the gun having lots of support over the bags, allowing the bags to absorb the recoil.

The results as you can see were totally different:

Stacked the shots right in there at 25 yards.

Same ammo, same gun, same everything. Just a difference in how the gun was supported.

So for those guys who think I always shoot really great groups, the above picture shows the real story. Sometimes I screw up and shoot absolutely terrible groups.

That is just the truth of the matter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To add to Ted’s list of the differences with the gen 5: they also have front cocking serrations, a tougher DLC finish on the slide, an upgraded trigger, ambi slide release, and a breechface cut to aid in ejection.

And, his ammunition is outstanding!

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Really enjoy and appreciate your contributions on this carry subject, MS. I'm interested in the 38 snubby and why it's your choice of regular carry. I'm assuming it's not your primary carry piece?

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Condition Yellow
To add to Ted’s list of the differences with the gen 5: they also have front cocking serrations, a tougher DLC finish on the slide, an upgraded trigger, ambi slide release, and a breechface cut to aid in ejection.

And, his ammunition is outstanding!

Thanks CY,

And yes, the trigger is quite nice. It is not hard to do good work with it. It is easy enough to allow precise shooting, while having enough takeup to allow for threat management type situations. Dang good trigger really.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by martentrapper
Really enjoy and appreciate your contributions on this carry subject, MS. I'm interested in the 38 snubby and why it's your choice of regular carry. I'm assuming it's not your primary carry piece?

So the 442 J Frame is never my primary carry piece other than very rare situations, where it is not possible to wear a G19 sized gun (or larger). That said, I pretty much always have it on me, in my offside front pocket, and have been carrying it for more than 20 years. It has literally thousands of rounds through it. This year it finally topped 6K rounds.

It was my BUG for years when I worked as an investigator. When I was in the field and someone who was sketchy looking would approach, I would slide my left hand into my pocket and have a full firing grip on the gun. By all outward appearances, this looks like a casual stance. In reality it is something completely different. Once I determined that they were not a threat or could be handled without a gun needing to be drawn, I would take my hand out of my pocket and continue on.

This eliminated a lot of complaints and drama, versus putting your hand on your service weapon, which is obvious to everyone, and can create problems and often escalates things. My little J Frame still rides in my pocket daily.

It is always loaded with wadcutters.

The reason for that is that in short barrels other projectile types such as hollow points tend to not open up properly. Their performance can be erratic. JHPs need longer barrels in general to reliably open up. Wadcutters on the other hand, tend to cut nice holes right through targets and are extremely consistent in their penetration performance. Most the pros that I know carry full wadcutters in their J Frames/Snubby revolvers.

I will add that recently I have also been playing with a .32 H&R snubby. This one being a Ruger LCR. Super light recoil, accurate and you get 6 shots vs 5. Quite a nice little gun, and I expect the .32s to continue to rise in popularity as people figure this out. The low recoil and easy shooting popularity has been gaining traction and you can expect to see more .32s on the market.

Neither of the snubby guns I consider a primary for me, but they make great pocket guns, and serve a very useful role at times. Having one in the pocket as an "always" gun is never a bad thing.

smile

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
So out of curiosity I measured the 50 yard group from yesterday.

5 shots.

I measured the width of the overall group and subtracted the bullet diameter (.45)

5 shots into 2.3"s.

4 out of 5 actually went into 1.3"s.

I have a pretty good feeling that one flyer from the group is the dude behind the trigger.

The punchline though, is this gun is a shooter. smile

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Great thread!

Retired cat herder.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I have a pretty good feeling that one flyer from the group is the dude behind the trigger.

"that one flyer"

I apparently have 5 flyers when I shoot 5 shot groups grin

Excellent shooting!

Thanks for all your excellent posts and info. The Campfire always costs me money. I happen to have 4-5 boxes of 45 ACP but no 45 gun. I have 4 Glocks now, including a G20. Its obvious I need a G21.........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bwinters

"that one flyer"

Excellent shooting!

Thanks for all your excellent posts and info. The Campfire always costs me money. I happen to have 4-5 boxes of 45 ACP but no 45 gun. I have 4 Glocks now, including a G20. Its obvious I need a G21.........

Now that is the danged spirit!

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ted,

Not trying to offend anyone, you have me thinking (more) that I'd like a 45 in a Glock.

It's funny as heck to read a thread written by a guy who says he rarely
buys guns, changes his carry guns.

And half the responses are guys who are now chomping at the bit to go
buy this gun.😁😁😁😁

I ❤️ irony!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by beretzs

"that one flyer"

Excellent shooting!

Now that is the danged spirit!

That sounds like a fine plan!

And Dillon Buck my Friend,

We are merely stimulating the economy while getting some top notch toys out of the deal!

Besides every once in a while a guy needs to get himself something nice. And this is one of those cases where you really do get something of notable performance. The C&H and G21.5 is one of those combos that when you shoot it, you can't help but grin. smile

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had the G21 before this thread was started. Will have to invest in the red dot and now thinking about a J frame.
Alaska State Troopers are carrying a G17, Gen 5 with a red dot and talking them up pretty good!

Last edited by martentrapper; 01/20/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My C&H Precision Duty closed emitter arrived last evening. Just a heads up, without the mounting plate and screws for the G 21 MOS...My bad. I already sent them an email and will order the correct mounting kit on Monday.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Biggest road block?

The birds know my Amish name,
they sit in the trees and sing it.
"Cheap, Cheap, Cheap!"

Thing is, I have a wondering eye.
If I caved in, there would be more crap sitting around here than there already is.

It's not about affording a gun, it's about not falling off the wagon.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by EQFD193
My C&H Precision Duty closed emitter arrived last evening. Just a heads up, without the mounting plate and screws for the G 21 MOS...My bad. I already sent them an email and will order the correct mounting kit on Monday.

Sorry to hear about that, but you are going to really enjoy the optic on the G21.5!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

"that one flyer"

Excellent shooting!

4 Glocks?? Meh.

Get busy, son.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by martentrapper
I had the G21 before this thread was started. Will have to invest in the red dot and now thinking about a J frame.
Alaska State Troopers are carrying a G17, Gen 5 with a red dot and talking them up pretty good!

I have heard the State Troopers like their Glock/RDO combos. A J Frame in the pocket as an "always" gun is never a bad thing!

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 2,945 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,622
Posts18,492,717
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.