Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yes they both had problems in the past. However, if you had one to pick for a brown bear hunt, which would you choose and why?
What about deer hunting?

For this exercise let's pretend you can purchase either gun and they are both without past company problems.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
HR IC

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
New production or in this hypothetical are we picking from anything made by them in the past?

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Whatever you like

μολὼν λαβέ

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Fotis
Whatever you like
Waxing nostalgic tonight. Pre 64 in an Echols legend.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Older, Winchester for me. If brand new I might go Remington 700. Sounds like the new 700 rifles are pretty high quality just from a few early reports.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
M70, new or old. Would never hunt dangerous game with anything but a crf based rifle.
For deer or other non dangerous game I have and use both types. Guess if I had to pick one I’d stay with the M70.

Last edited by John55; 01/13/24.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Rem 700. Just historically have had less problems mechanically and feeding. Simple as that.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Rem 700 - industry standard
Superior aftermarket support
The CRF argument is BS

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Coyotes to deer to brown bear, 700 for me - always.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Which ever fit me the best....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’ve killed 2 grizzly (albeit-not ‘brown’ bears) with a REM 700. No problem….

That said, the Mod 70s have always felt more solid to me than 700s and less like a kid’s toy, though they generally have been less accurate also. If I were to choose one over the other specifically for brown bears I’d probably go for a Mod 70.

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
The CRF argument is BS

You know that is weird that CRF is so important to some folks. I mean how many big five in Africa have fallen to Weatherbies, Sakos and 700's . Of course this is all theoretical for me I've never been to Africa after dangerous game

μολὼν λαβέ

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Winchester Model 70! It doesn’t have to be a CRF and assuming that both are box-stock, I much prefer the Winchester trigger. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/13/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They both have issues I'd want addressed, no huge preference.

CRF, old style trigger M70 by a nose.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I feel there is no advantage in CRF, only disadvantages. I have a few.
I like the pre-64 triggers. I like the accuracy of the 700’s.
I had two post 63 M70’s. I liked the push feed the best.
I didn’t like Remington’s Tupperware stocks or the locking firing pin they once had.
I like the Winchester safeties. I didn’t like Remington’s safety that locked the bolt closed.
I’d be happy with either a M70 or a M700. But I own more than 10 to 1 Remingtons over Winchester M70’s.

If I had either one I’d set the trigger on the 700 or give the 70 to a smith for a trigger job. I’d glass bed and if inclement weather was expected, a top of the line synthetic stock and a top of the line weather proof finish on the metal.

Either one would be much nicer than any other factory rifle that I’ve owned. (Ruger, Savage, Tikka & a few other European manufacturers)

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bugger
I feel there is no advantage in CRF, only disadvantages. I have a few.
I like the pre-64 triggers. I like the accuracy of the 700’s.
I had two post 63 M70’s. I liked the push feed the best.
I didn’t like Remington’s Tupperware stocks or the locking firing pin they once had.
I like the Winchester safeties. I didn’t like Remington’s safety that locked the bolt closed.
I’d be happy with either a M70 or a M700. But I own more than 10 to 1 Remingtons over Winchester M70’s.

If I had either one I’d set the trigger on the 700 or give the 70 to a smith for a trigger job. I’d glass bed and if inclement weather was expected, a top of the line synthetic stock and a top of the line weather proof finish on the metal.

Either one would be much nicer than any other factory rifle that I’ve owned. (Ruger, Savage, Tikka & a few other European manufacturers)
I'm with Bugger on this. Either one as long as it was worked over.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've taken grizzlies & coastal brownies with 700's in 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 8mm Rem Mag & 300 RUM, a few with a Win 70 in 300 Win Mag years ago and a couple with a Sako TRGS in 7.82 Warbird, most recent one was in '22 while out Spring black bear hunting, a charging griz at 13 steps with a Rem 700 in 300 RUM

More than a few were defensive close range in your face kills while moose hunting or skinning/gutting moose

Never crossed my mind that I should have a crf, just work the bolt and shoot

When I decided to build a dedicated brown bear hunting rifle when I had the predator control permit for brownies & blackies, I built it on a Rem 700 with a McMillan stock, Trigger Tech Special trigger, an 8 tw .408 cal Rock Creek barrel with a Muscle brake & the Last Frontier bottom metal for 5 round 3.850" Accurate mags

Not sure how a crf bolt would improve on that set up
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
M70.
Better extractors. Better (safer) trigger. 1 piece bolt and handle. Better safety.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Model 70 if baco.
Rem 700 new production or late 80s early 90s.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The new 700 Alpha 1 has some upgrades that make it more to my liking. First, it has a one-piece bolt, unlike the old version and the post-64 Winchesters, both of which occasionally have failures of the handle-bolt body connection. It also has a Sako/M16 extractor. I never liked that tiny thingy inside the bolt face on the 721-722-725-700 rifles, though they seem to work better than they look.

I prefer CRF provided the parts are robust and properly tuned. Good 98s are the standard for that, but some others have been made with castings or not properly tempered and may fail. I believe some of the Classic M70s have those, but later ones are supposed to be better. A doctor that belongs to my club had a M70 Classic .458 out one day practicing offhand for an Africa trip. He’d had the cast(?) extractor replaced with IIRC a Williams unit.

That Alpha 1 is priced about the same as a comparable M70. If I were in the market for a new rifle, I’d certainly want to see one in person before buying anything in that price range.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Be happy with what you have, there is no wrong answer.
Have confidence in what you carry.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by szihn
M70.
Better extractors. Better (safer) trigger. 1 piece bolt and handle. Better safety.

I totally agree. I've had many extractor failures with the 700's and 722's. Won't buy another one. Judging by some of these comments, no one has ever had an extractor fail on them? Or they don't want to admit it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Got them both. Don't give a chit...

Prefer a bullet proof '98 tho. Got one of them too.

Only broken/failed extractor I've ever had was on my 725 SA. Replacement 700 extractoir fixed that.

Don't think a .260 is the best bear gun tho.

Last edited by las; 01/14/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by szihn
M70.

I totally agree. I've had many extractor failures with the 700's and 722's. Won't buy another one. Judging by some of these comments, no one has ever had an extractor fail on them? Or they don't want to admit it.

none of my 700 factory barreled rifles ever had a failure

All the customized 700's in my wildcats either had Sako or M16 extractors installed

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
HEY- I re-soldered the handle back on my .243 700. (2nd one I've done). I have confidence in it.... I know it's GTG smile

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"I've had many extractor failures with the 700's and 722's."

Really?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have more than a few of both. I guess I would pick the one chambered for the cartridge I decided to use. That simple. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I've had many extractor failures with the 700's and 722's

No you haven’t.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
I've had many extractor failures with the 700's and 722's

No you haven’t.

Agreed. If bullzchit was music......

WWP53D
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Preface: my bolt guns are all CRF right now, but I've never shot at anything that would eat me (at least, not while I was alive). In theory, having CRF for dangerous game makes perfect sense. But I'm guessing the vast majority of it in America has been killed without CRF and folks didn't get eaten (Rem 700 + Remington pumps + Marlin 336 + Winchester lever guns has to have killed more cougars and bears than M70s just based on availability and volume, right?)...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I don't buy into the CRF hype and the 700 BDL to my eyes is the handsomest rifle I've seen

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a few of both push feed versions, not much difference at all. The controll feed versions of Wins are different on a plus and also a minus basis.

The cure to the ills of the CF Wins and the 98 Mauser both for a DG rifle is the action that combines the pluses of both rifle styles into one action, the 1999 Montana Rifle Co action, if you can find one to build on. The MRC bunch was supposed to get back into production in late 2023. I have four custom rifles I built on 1999 MRC actions. They make a real good DG rifle, when done correctly.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Whatever you like
Waxing nostalgic tonight. Pre 64 in an Echols legend.

Same.. P64 in a Legend...

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I prefer M70's. The safety, old style trigger, easy bolt disassembly, and extraction system in either CRF or PF all count for me.
For Alaskan bear my SS Classic in .338 would work. Frankly, I would prefer my Talkeetna with its 21 in barrel
M70s in .375 tend to be heavier than I like.

For deer, a M70 FW works well. Pretty much any kind. Some of the PF's from the late 80's are especially nice.

As far as extractor failures I have been involved with two on 700's, none on M70's.

The biggest issue I have seen is with 700's. Folks fail to clean the bolt and you get failures to fire. We see this afew times each year at our sight in days.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M70 SS Classic with the old style trigger (simple hook and lever). I'd have the bolt pinned and action worked over. Then I'd stick it Echols or Bansner. Scope of you choice but I'd prob go NF SHV 2.5-10x42 for bear work.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I will stick to my Mod 70's. After all it is a personal choice. And if memory serves me correctly wasn't there a big lawsuit and recall on the 700 safeties and triggers???

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I failed to mention the much better (IMO) safety of the Model 70 Winchester! That alone is a deal breaker for me! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I’ve owned a few of both, still do actually. All have been older models.
I would probably grab the XTR first but really the 700’s are not to be denied. Close my eyes and choose, either would suit me.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
With me it's most likely 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. I have both with the M70s all push feeds with one exception. It's an M70 Stainless Classic .338 Win. Mag. and frankly, I hate it. It's too light for the cartridge and literally beats me to death.

I do like the M70 XTRs. Mine are .270 Win., 257 Roberts and a 7x57. The .270 and 7x57 are tack drivers but I have yet to find something that makes the .257 happy. Most have been used as range rifles but the .270 and 7x57 have done a couple of hunts.

I don't dislike the Remington M700 but I am a touch leery about their extractors. Hey used the same style in the M660 and I had one fail in a deer hunt. I like the feel of the BGL and the Classic also feels pretty good. The BDL and one Classice are in 30-06 and the other Classic is a .35 Whelen. I'n gonna have to replace the recoil pad on the .35 as the original has literally turned to stone.

I have other post 64 aand post 68 M70s ranging from .243 to .338 Win. magnums and i'd hunt them and not get too worried as long as the chambering is suitable for the game hunted.

However, most of the time one of those rifles is used more as a back up to one of my chosen serious hunting rifles which are based on milsurp and commercial FN Mauser actions. Just my personal preference. the only failure I've ever had on a hunt was when the scope turned toes up on me while checking the sights in New Mexico the day before my elk hunt was to start. Rifle is based on an Oberndorf action and runs slicker'n snot on a doorknob. Back up was a 30-06 custom based on a commercial FN Mauser action.

For the record, prior to 2009, all my hunts were self guided. Couldn't get drawn for antelope in my home state and the outfitter wouldn't allow my Ruger #1 in .300 Win. Mag for the hunt. He does not like single shot rifles. I used a Winchester M70 XTR and took my speed goat at a way out yonder 75 yards. I did all my cow elk hunts with my .35 Whelen Mauser and one or another of my rifles based on Mauser actions. I just want a riffle I know will work 100 % of the time so while the M70 and M700 do work well, I'll tick with my rifles based on the M98 mauser; especially if the critter decided to bite back.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
PJGunner, I’d sure like to relieve you of that Model 70 SS CRF .338 WM, but we don’t need it……so says my wife! 😉 She has essentially the same rifle, and doesn’t want to replace her “push feed” SS .338 WM just to have the CRF version.

She’d have the CRF version, had there been one available when we grabbed her rifle at a gun show back in ‘95. memtb

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Hypothetical because I never have, and never will, encounter a big bear in the hunting days I have left. I'd choose a Model 70 LH Classic for its safety, trigger, extractor and ejector. For deer, it would be the same based on the safety and trigger alone. If they made a push feed 70 in left hand that'd be fine, but I'd still prefer the Classic for things that might fight back.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never hunted dangerous game and I never had an extractor failure in any of my 700's. I like both Win 70 and Rem 700, but if I had fear of extractor failure in my 700 I would simply use one of my Win 70s. Or if I was using Rem 700 I'll have a good 44 mag revolver as a back up.
Question, what causes extractor failure, is it dirt or gummed up oils.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I worked in a LGS back in 92-95. I saw more than one 700 come in with a failure to extract problem. The gunsmith hated working on them also. (RIP Pat) Never seen a M70 come in with a problem. I guess that has a lot to do with my affinity for M70's.
We sold Rems, Winchesters, Ruger's and Brownings and Savages, plus a lot of consignment guns. We did not sell clothes backpacks or other stuff. Guns , ammo and reloading stuff was the forte'.

Usually when someone came in and was looking for new rifle, I would steer them to the M70. Once I showed them field strippable bolt, the simplicity of the trigger and how the safety worked it was over. M70 hands down.

Also have a hunting acquaintance in west central Va. that shot a very large Black bear with a 700 in 25-06. Ronnie went for a follow up shot as the bear was leaving. Extractor failed to extract at the worst possible time. We never found that bear.

There's a reason there is an aftermarket "upgrade" for the safety and extractor on 700's.
Never heard of one for a M70.

I own exactly one Remington rifle. A sportsman 78 in .243 win. It hangs out in the corner of the safe.

Just my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Between the two mentioned by the op I’d take a m70 crf.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve been on 1.5 brown bear hunts so not exactly a cornucopia of experience. But my guide was an experienced chap and gun enthusiast.

We obviously had many discussions about perspective on guns for the task. His view was that folks have all kinds of theories on what’s best and it’s funny to see them debated ad nauseum on social media. And the reality is, he didn’t give a szchit what people brought as long as they could shoot.

He used a 375 Ruger because a client gifted it to him.

Far too much brain power expended on this without actual application.

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The CRF argument is BS

You know that is weird that CRF is so important to some folks. I mean how many big five in Africa have fallen to Weatherbies, Sakos and 700's . Of course this is all theoretical for me I've never been to Africa after dangerous game

People have successfully hunted other armed people with push feed rifles.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by goalie
The CRF argument is BS

People have successfully hunted other armed people with push feed rifles.

So to with sticks and stones.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For what it is worth, I have had more issues with CRFs feeding and extracting brass than I have with push feed rifles.

Other than 22 LRs, every failure to extract I can recall (which is not many) has been my fault-pushing the pressure limits just a bit too much. The feeding issues (again, not many) were from claw extractors not grabbing the case head properly, and a few due to me not sizing correctly (I think). I suspect the case head issues were more from the brass being banged up, rather than the claw, but I really am not sure. What I do know is push feeds have not been an issue for me when I do things right.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Pre 64 model 70/Legend stock that a good smith had put together, which I have in 300 H&H.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yes they both had problems in the past. However, if you had one to pick for a brown bear hunt, which would you choose and why?
What about deer hunting?

For this exercise let's pretend you can purchase either gun and they are both without past company problems.
M700 or M70?? Shirley you jest. Like choosing between a VW Micro Bus and a BMW...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Probably a 70.

Not due to CRF vs PF or anything - mostly due to how I like to work a bolt. Cup and ball style. My fingers never actually grasp the bolt handle, it rides in my palm while I work the action. Faster for me and the 70 bold handle is a better fit for that for me than the 700 which is more like a smooshed out milk dud in shape. Actually, the smooth bolt handle on a Ruger M77/MKII/Hawkeye is perfect.

Me

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Probably a M70, just because it's what I have in cartridges suitable for African big 5 and big bear. My .375 is the Ruger built on a M70 XTR push feed, and I have a .338-06 on a SS M70 Classic. If I had a M700 rifles instead chambered the same, that is what I'd use.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Whichever you can shoot best. Practice shooting it, rather then debating gear on the internet. And then choose a Model 700.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let me ask the question again because I have never experienced extractor failure, what causes it or what can cause it?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by duke61
Let me ask the question again because I have never experienced extractor failure, what causes it or what can cause it?
Dirt, grease, powder, brass chips can cause it.

A rough chamber can cause it to pull up over the rim and not extract.

Possibly weak clip??

It's not very big and doesn't get a lot of purchase on the rim.

Only ones I had fail were on a brand new rifle. Rough chamber from the factory which held the fired brass tight enough the extractor wouldn't pull it from the chamber.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I like both, have and would use both. I own aeveral of both. But. Given my druthers, I would take the M70 every time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you 10gaugemag

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've completely lost confidence in anything Remington with the exception of the 870. I have a slight preference for CRF, but for the PF Winchesters are pretty good too. Lately Tikka has become my favorite rifle.

CRF is misunderstood. From a reasonably clean rifle there is absolutely no difference in reliability and the average hunter will never be in a position where CRF might be an advantage. The reason dangerous game hunters and guides have always preferred CRF is because it is more likely to EXTRACT and EJECT if the rifle has been abused and filthy. If I'm hunting in mud, snow, ice, dirt, dust, and there is the possibility my rifle could be dropped in mud or sand and have to work CRF gives me slightly better odds. And that is more important when shooting at something that bites back.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by duke61
Oh oh... Now that you've stated you've not had a failure, you're gonna get a failure.. laugh laugh

One other thing can give you grief that is not mentioned above (that I saw, anyway) - a previous owner who had a replacement installed by someone who didn't do it right and it got slightly bent during replacement.. Severe enough, and the rounds won't chamber.. I ran into that a half-dozen times before..

In my 23 years of rifle work I've replaced probably 20-25 Rem extractors.. But only 3-4 on the M70 (both PF and CRF)..

But like another said above - use the one you shoot best and go hunting..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Fantasies about charging bears, and pretending you are going to be emptying your gun like a ph make people think they need a crf. The first bullet is the one that matters. If you can’t kill it on the first try, your gear regardless of extraction isn’t going to be a deciding factor.
Dream on.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
Fantasies about charging bears, and pretending you are going to be emptying your gun like a ph make people think they need a crf. The first bullet is the one that matters. If you can’t kill it on the first try, your gear regardless of extraction isn’t going to be a deciding factor.
Dream on.

Yup. Personally, I've seen more M70s fail to feed than 700s. If you want CRF, I rarely see Ruger rifles fail to feed. But a Remington 700 tends to feed like butter if properly sprung. Or throw on an AICS magazine and you have the round center-feeding from the cartridge lips until its half in the chamber, then the bolt finishes pushing it in while it has nowhere to go.

Haven't seen a Tikka have trouble feeding either.

CRF is a lot of hype and fantasy.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I took my stainless 375 H&H M70 on my first brown bear hunt and will take it again this year though with a different scope and mount.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
DG with a pushfeed? Blasphemy. Jk.
I'd go 700 and not think twice about it.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
^^ A man that knows how to shoot!
Shoots a Remington.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Idon't own a 70. But I do have 700s and I have never had a failure to feed, extract, ot fire with a 700. I trust a 700 to work when needed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M70, out of familiarity alone. Nothing against 700s, just not enough experience with them to really comment.

Don't care much about CRF. Even in real rough conditions, would imagine say a Tikka works as well as most any CRF guns. Be interesting to see what it takes to make one fail, especially being a rather well sealed system.

Would be fun to see what makes a Vanguard/Howa choke compared to a 700 as well.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The CRF argument is BS

lol...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Everyone knows the answer is "neither" - pass the Tikka T3 laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
M 70 push feed is the answer............LOL

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Honestly if I am going after DG I am taking the Kimber Montana or Classic since they are the only ones I have in a caliber for DG.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
It probably doesn't matter that much in reality. CRF is nice, but push feed rifles work just fine so I don't see that as an issue.

If I had to choose I would go with one of my M70 's, mostly because of the pre-64 trigger. I like Remington 700's and have used them plenty, but I once had problems with a Walker trigger freezing up partially in cold damp weather. Since that is the sort of weather that is often encountered on brown bear hunts I'd feel a bit more confident with the M70.

I also have Ruger Hawkeyes and they are a very robustly built rifle that would also be well suited to a brown bear hunt.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This is a typical question on campfire: assuming the people who answer are the last word on the issue. You're asking the wrong crowd. Go to people that have the experience to be objective. People like the Shumakers in Alaska, the late Don Heath in Africa or Kevin Robertson from Africa. After 30-40 years of seeing what works, those folks know what they're talking about.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You can ask them all you want. The type of extraction is likely down the list of what they like to see in a customer. Whereas they prefer clients who can shoot accurately. Follow instructions. And are good tippers.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
This is a typical question on campfire: assuming the people who answer are the last word on the issue. You're asking the wrong crowd. Go to people that have the experience to be objective. People like the Shumakers in Alaska, the late Don Heath in Africa or Kevin Robertson from Africa. After 30-40 years of seeing what works, those folks know what they're talking about.

How are we supposed to ask the late Don Heath anything? Via a medium?

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
700 remington

J
jay Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have and like both, not taking any sides here.
I live close to Ilion and like 700's but,
A 70 has never had a bolt handle come off in someone's hand. Happened to a friend that was hunting in Canada on a very expensive hunt, was not happy. Was bad braze combined with very cold weather.
A 70 has never not extracted due to a cheap C clip failing. Has happened many times.
A 70 has never had its safety the subject of lawsuits lost.
I had a Model Seven that had the barrel drilled off center, sad to say the quality at Remington was sub-par for many years.
I'm hate to see them leave Ilion but maybe they will get the quality back in Alabama.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jay
A 70 has never had a bolt handle come off in someone's hand. Happened to a friend that was hunting in Canada on a very expensive hunt, was not happy. Was bad braze combined with very cold weather.
A 70 has never not extracted due to a cheap C clip failing. Has happened many times.
I had a Model Seven that had the barrel drilled off center, sad to say the quality at Remington was sub-par for many years.
I'm hate to see them leave Ilion but maybe they will get the quality back in Alabama.
All very good points

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jay

And I'll add, the 70's safety locks the bolt handle. Remington's concept is inconceivable to me.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by jay

And I'll add, the 70's safety locks the bolt handle. Remington's concept is inconceivable to me.

And yet millions of sportsman, soldiers, and recreational shooters use them worldwide with no issues.

Go figure.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
The only time I had a cartridge fall out of a rifle while loading one in the chamber was with a push feed. Rifle was held straight up and while slowly trying to load a round quietly the round fell out and hit rocks at me feet.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Ky221
And yet millions of sportsman, soldiers, and recreational shooters use them worldwide with no issues.

Go figure.

…..and Joe Biden got millions of votes, too.

Remington quality has been in the crapper since the early 90s. The 700 design as built by Remington had some weaknesses which have been acknowledged and addressed by others for years. It’s hard to be as robust as a full length extractor, without a full length extractor. I own both designs and more. I don’t think it’s so much a push feed vs CRF comparison between the two, as it is a perceived robustness of operation in adverse conditions view by many. Back in the late 90s-early 2000s, I’ve sent multiple brand new M40s back to the REM Arms mil shop over bad headspace, bad receivers, and crap chambers that broke extractors. Execution has always been Remington’s problem…..not design. There are plenty of Remington clones that are made better. wink A Mauser 98 with a 3-pos is the stuff, though. wink

J
jay Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Originally Posted by Ky221

Go figure.

…..and Joe Biden got millions of votes, too.

Remington quality has been in the crapper since the early 90s. The 700 design as built by Remington had some weaknesses which have been acknowledged and addressed by others for years. It’s hard to be as robust as a full length extractor, without a full length extractor. I own both designs and more. I don’t think it’s so much a push feed vs CRF comparison between the two, as it is a perceived robustness of operation in adverse conditions view by many. Back in the late 90s-early 2000s, I’ve sent multiple brand new M40s back to the REM Arms mil shop over bad headspace, bad receivers, and crap chambers that broke extractors. Execution has always been Remington’s problem…..not design. There are plenty of Remington clones that are made better. wink A Mauser 98 with a 3-pos is the stuff, though. wink

Spot on.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Looks like Winchester is the ultimate for quality. Especially if you like noisy safeties, weak striker springs, hot glue bed jobs, mostly abortion stock designs…

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks like Winchester is the ultimate for quality. Especially if you like noisy safeties, weak striker springs, hot glue bed jobs, mostly abortion stock designs…

Is their a noisier safety than the gun going off when you take it off?

Me

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I'll say this and butt out.

I've owned exactly 29 model 700s and still have a few.
From 17 Rem to .375h&h. Models as old as the early 70s and as new as 2020. Some were more accurate than others, but all were accurate enough for the job. Some were real screamers. Most notable were a VLS in 223 and a 700PSS in 308.

I've never had a bolt handle fall off, an unintentional discharge, or any of the other stuff I often hear about.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Teal

Is their a noisier safety than the gun going off when you take it off?

Good question. I’m not a gun slob therefore my junk is maintained. Never had it happen.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Model 70, old style trigger, CRF for me. Pre 64 or Classic would work.

I have replaced three extractors on 700's, never had a bolt fall off, or AD.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Handle them both and you'll see why I'll never own a Remington again (I started with Remington, quite a few in the 80s but when Win reintroduced the CRF in the 90s I was done and bought as many as I could). Would not buy a current production W70 but that's just me, I'm sure they are fine!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1minute, 01Foreman400, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,567
Posts18,491,832
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.