Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Learn me up. No experience with such, other than night hunting with kill lights. Don't do much night stuff anymore because I'm usually in bed about then....grin

But an experience a couple nights ago that got me to thinking of my shortcomings. I-70 borders the ranch and there was a car/semi wreck right out by the gate. When the cops and amberlamps showed up, an armed passenger from the car fled the scene on foot. He headed for my creekbottom, towards my corrals and cowshed. Lucky for me, the local fire chief(who was in the ambulance) gave me a call to alert me to the situation. I don't even have a light on any pistols (which is shortly to be rectified). But anyway, I headed down the hill to the main house to lock everything up and get my guns and car keys outta the ranch trucks and be ready to give the fugger a big surprise if he showed his face. I didn't want to turn on a flashlight to give the perp an idea that I was out and about, so it was a stumblefugg doing all this in total darkness. I sure figgered NV gogglers woulda been handy about then, along with a thermal/NV scope on an AR. Clip-on's sound interesting, as I could use it as a monocular to see/scan with, then slap in on the rifle if needed. Am I off base here? I don't need no fancy stuff, no video/phone capabilities, do they make simple on/off switch models?

Eddicate me, here. Thanks

PS.. They recovered the guys gun on the shoulder of the hiway about a half mile south, and finally caught him a few hours later on the other side of the interstate. Quite a deal for a few hours, 8 State cops, 4 SO depittys from 2 agencies, a game warden, 2 fire trucks, an ambulance and 2 hiway dept dump/plow trucks.....

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thermal for spotting and shooting, Night Vision for navigation.

Edit: my experience is military (old tech) and recent using high end setups doing run and gun at night at competitions with borrowed gear. But shooting is way better with thermal, and running through the woods is way better with NV. Shooting with just NV requires optics be setup at a height that works, with magnifiers etc if using NV compatible red dot settings

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another avenue for info. Call this guy, seems he is pretty knowledgeable.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Clip-ons are great in theory, but not so great in practice.
Something along the lines of a Bering Optics Super Hogster is pretty handy and high quality, and you can still pull it off the AR rail to use as a scanner.
An added bonus to a thermal that could possibly serve as a reason to have your employer make the purchase or as a tax write-off is to use the scanner during calving season to find a dumbazz two year old heifer's calf when she walks off and forgot where she left her calf. Or as a way to look at your buildings on a cold night to find areas of heat loss in need of extra insulation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by goalie

Edit: my experience is military (old tech) and recent using high end setups doing run and gun at night at competitions with borrowed gear. But shooting is way better with thermal, and running through the woods is way better with NV. Shooting with just NV requires optics be setup at a height that works, with magnifiers etc if using NV compatible red dot settings
NV need an illuminator?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Watched this one last night.

Shows 1 thermal and not sure what you classify the other as but uses an illuminator. One with the illuminator tends to let the brush ruin the video and the thermal picks up the critters which he shows and talk about.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

NV need an illuminator?

Depends on the setup. Using the really high end stuff I could make hits to 300ish without, but I'm not buying double tube nods, helmet, mount, 1.9" optic mounts, etc for 10k+ to shoot with NV, and using and illuminator literally screams HERE I AM to anyone using NV in the area. I mean, a great illuminator is amazing, but it's like a tracer at night times a billion. So it really depends on your intended use. I'll probably go thermal with a unit good enough to work as a decent scanner, but I don't plan on running around in the woods at night playing Ranger/SEAL/Recon, so intended use would be detection and shooting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

NV need an illuminator?

Depends on the setup. Using the really high end stuff I could make hits to 300ish without, but I'm not buying double tube nods, helmet, mount, 1.9" optic mounts, etc for 10k+ to shoot with NV, and using and illuminator literally screams HERE I AM to anyone using NV in the area. I mean, a great illuminator is amazing, but it's like a tracer at night times a billion. So it really depends on your intended use. I'll probably go thermal with a unit good enough to work as a decent scanner, but I don't plan on running around in the woods at night playing Ranger/SEAL/Recon, so intended use would be detection and shooting.
πŸ‘πŸΏπŸ‘πŸΏ

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How 'bout this as a cheap intro?

https://cameralandny.com/shop/arken...ariation=3644735&query=arken%20night

I have 6 of their scopes and like the heck outta them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Something like that used with a GOOD illuminator would probably work great, but the digital NV isn't on the same playing field as tubes, in clarity/resolution or price.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
understood. thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

NV need an illuminator?

Separate scanner and scope or just use the rifle while scanning?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don, I'm just starting to learn this stuff too.. Night Vision is usually an Infrared set up that has its own illuminator, or another can be added, but its just more junk to pack around. Thermal is the way to go IMO, but its still too pricey for me, considering how little I'd actually use it.Thermal shows you temperature, NV just lights everything up for you and doesnt discriminate my temp as far as I can see.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'd prefer quick detach that holds zero. I'm not a fan of "looking" at/for people with my weapon since I'm solidly 1st CivDiv now. 😁

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Something along the lines of a Bering Optics Super Hogster is pretty handy and high quality, and you can still pull it off the AR rail to use as a scanner.
An added bonus to a thermal that could possibly serve as a reason to have your employer make the purchase or as a tax write-off is to use the scanner during calving season to find a dumbazz two year old heifer's calf when she walks off and forgot where she left her calf. Or as a way to look at your buildings on a cold night to find areas of heat loss in need of extra insulation.

This is good advice.

I’d consider one of those Bering products - they can be had on the used market for a decent savings.

My partner uses one as his scanner but easily doubles as a backup scope if need be.

Don, for what you’re describing, thermal is the way to go, far more covert and due to heat signatures, targets (or humans πŸ˜€ ) visible at far greater distances.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'd prefer quick detach that holds zero. I'm not a fan of "looking" at/for people with my weapon since I'm solidly 1st CivDiv now. 😁
Be for scanning for critters.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I started using kill lights circa 2004. Used them until i got night vision. I have 3 different night vision optics that I used for several years until I got the Bering Optics Super Hogster. It is a "384" unit. When the Super Yoter ("640") unit came out, I got that. It is the main thermal that have used for the last two year or so. It works.

Night vision is best when viewing a stationary object or when depth perception is key. As mentioned, I'd not be wanting to run though heavy brush using Thermal.

Those new ARKEN ZULUS ZHD520 night vision units are interesting.

Three weeks ago I did a comparison between my Sightmark Wraith 4K-mini with a Nightsnipe N-750 aftermarket IR Illuminator vs. my Super Yoter vs my Taipan Scanner. Bunnies at 70 yds. Felt like i was in sand-box using the Night Vision compared to both thermal units.

Nothing hides from thermal.

The RIX LEAP 600 is new, but looks to be awesome, price is about 2/3'rds of comparable Pulsar units. One the things that make it different is what is being labeled as "continuous optical zoom" (not true optical) as opposed to digital. IIRC early on users have mentioned problems with both software and audio.

If discovery/observation is key rather than hunting/shooting, I'd say get a thermal scanner with a minimum of 384 x 288 resolution sensor, 12 micron sensitivity is superior to 17 micron sensitivity.

There are a number of different brands. I chose the AGM Taipan TM 15-384 as it had the lowest base magnification at 1.5x of the 384 units I could find. I Do not think you would be satified with a 256 resolution optic.

The Taipan is in my pack every time I go afield. My Leica binocs have almost become obsolete when it comes to discovery. With thermal, day or night, anything above the ambient temperature just "Pops".

Here is a short vid of a thermal hog hunt. The white dot in the distance is a hog.Distance is estimated at 400+ yds (optic has 710 meter detection range.) People in the vid are +/- 50 yds in front of the high rack vehicle. Flashing green markers are hot tracking (an option).

As to simple on off. Yes. Press the power button and the unit comes on. Press the zoom button to increase the magnification. Other things can be done such as snapshots and video capture, but that is about as simple as it gets.

I typically keep mine at base magnification for the "field of view" and clarity of image.

Good luck on your quest.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/14/24.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
GW,
Had never considered it, but you’re saying you use the thermal during daylight to pick up heat signatures/identify game also?

Also, you used your yoter on a .308?
Have a dedicated suppressor host that needs to pull double duty as dedicated thermal host.

Last edited by jackmountain; 01/14/24.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Based on my experience coyotes in pressured areas can see IR. I switched to thermal a few years ago. They are a game changer. Spend the money and get a reliable thermal. I like Bering thermal products. They have a good reputation

I use a tri pod and rifle is mounted to tri pod. I sit or stand depending on area and foliage . I use this set up to slowly scan

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hint..............

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Yes.

Remember, with thermal, one is not (for lack of a better term) limitied to light or illumination, one is measuring the difference in the external temperature of an object in comparison to the ambient temperature. Consequently, day or night if that object's temperture is above ambient, it will stand out. The resolution and sensitivity of the sensor is a major factor in detection range and identification of an object.

The Super Hogster is now mounted on an AR-15 chambered for the 300 HAM'R. I use it for running and gunning in fields where I may make 10 to 20 shots on running pigs.

The Super Yoter is on my Sig Cross, chambered for 308 Win. It is my dedicated thumper for most of the hunting I do as I rarely shoot more than twice and rapid follow up shots are not necessary. I'm thinking of putting up lights at a couple feeders just so I will use other rifles.

Typically any time i go afield I'm out at least an hour before daylight and many times in the eve hunt until 2 AM. In the last two years I could count on one hand how many times it has not accompanied me. At night when i get out of the stand, i may leave my pack, binocs and another rifle, but never the rifle with thermal.

Thermal suppressed is a game changer. Once tried successfully, you'll probably be spoiled. I am.

Last edited by geedubya; 01/14/24.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I am liking some clip-ons more and more.

I have 640 and 385 res thermal scopes and those work really.

That said, the AGM StingIR when mounted exactly at scope line over bore and with covers to stop any ambient light from reaching the scope lense is pretty damn sweet.

You can dial range in the day optic (of limited value) and the image is less intense in full dark, which is easier on your eyes.

The little StingIR weighs 8 oz so combined with a Leupold VX-6 3-18 it's a bit lighter than my Adder 640x50mm.

The StingIR is awesome as a hand held scanner and bridged with a PVS-14 (Night Vision) for a dual band helmet setup.

For calving the vehicle mounted Nightride units are a gamechanger.

Thermal video feed inside the cab to a tablet.

Originally Posted by Big Stick
Hint..............

LOL.

As per you're usual your way behind and sucking hind tit. wink (Just cause it bothers you and it's fun to push those buttons)

But you will be crowing about how you invented thermal in short order.

Any ideas on when you can pick up enough soda pop cans to afford your first suppressor?

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
nice set ups.

love my super hogster

Originally Posted by geedubya
Yes.

Remember, with thermal, one is not (for lack of a better term) limitied to light or illumination, one is measuring the difference in the external temperature of an object in comparison to the ambient temperature. Consequently, day or night if that object's temperture is above ambient, it will stand out. The resolution and sensitivity of the sensor is a major factor in detection range and identification of an object.

The Super Hogster is now mounted on an AR-15 chambered for the 300 HAM'R. I use it for running and gunning in fields where I may make 10 to 20 shots on running pigs.

The Super Yoter is on my Sig Cross, chambered for 308 Win. It is my dedicated thumper for most of the hunting I do as I rarely shoot more than twice and rapid follow up shots are not necessary. I'm thinking of putting up lights at a couple feeders just so I will use other rifles.

Typically any time i go afield I'm out at least an hour before daylight and many times in the eve hunt until 2 AM. In the last two years I could count on one hand how many times it has not accompanied me. At night when i get out of the stand, i may leave my pack, binocs and another rifle, but never the rifle with thermal.

Thermal suppressed is a game changer. Once tried successfully, you'll probably be spoiled. I am.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hint..............

What can you legally hunt with thermals in AK? Just curious. A buddy of mine lives in Palmer and we were discussing it last night.

2 Kings 2:23-24
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

That would depend on the situation. I love my clip on and I also have a bering optics hogster. I use the hogster for scanning. I sit in blinds and hunt during daylight and dark and I don't feel comfortable swapping scopes out in the field and I don't like hunting with a thermal during the daylight. If I were only hunting at night or if I moved around allot, I would use a dedicated thermal scope.

2 Kings 2:23-24
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
does the thermal give up a lot in the daylight?

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for all the input. I think that after reading you guys stuff, most are reco'ing not cheaping out with the Arken NV and to go thermal. I kinda like that cheap Wraith thermal that 10GA linked, as for not going whole hog on something that I won't use much. And the fact that it takes cr123's is a plus to me. Not having to worry about charging an internal and already having a bunch around for my headlights and flashlights seems good for only using a little. So, if I pull the plug on the Wraith thermal, what handheld should I be looking at? I can see THAT getting a lot more use around here than the scope. Is a monocular hard on your vision at night, or would thermal binocs be a better way to go? Keep it coming.....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Anyone tried the Athlon Cronus scope and scanner? About $4k would buy both and the specs seem pretty decent for that coin. Everyone seems to rave about Athlon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for all the input. I think that after reading you guys stuff, most are reco'ing not cheaping out with the Arken NV and to go thermal. I kinda like that cheap Wraith thermal that 10GA linked, as for not going whole hog on something that I won't use much. And the fact that it takes cr123's is a plus to me. Not having to worry about charging an internal and already having a bunch around for my headlights and flashlights seems good for only using a little. So, if I pull the plug on the Wraith thermal, what handheld should I be looking at? I can see THAT getting a lot more use around here than the scope. Is a monocular hard on your vision at night, or would thermal binocs be a better way to go? Keep it coming.....

Your handheld will see a lot more use than the thermal or NV weapon sight, and for that item I would highly recommend thermal. For detecting, you don't really need a lot of clarity, the thing just alerts you to the presence of something that might merit a little attention. There's nothing at all wrong with a higher quality thermal monocular if it doesn't hurt your pocketbook, but you can get by with something pretty utilitarian. You really do need to be able to identify something before you shoot it, of course, so either your scanner (or monocular) needs to be up to snuff or the weapon sight does. I am not suggesting that a thermal monocular typically will leave you guessing, but sometimes you may not be sure what you're looking at. For hog hunting down here, you get pretty good at making that call by the way the critters move and behave but you just can't be too careful when the only things you should be shooting at are hogs and coyotes and such.

A monocular IS hard on your vision at night. It will desensitize your eye for a little while and it can take five or ten minutes before your normal vision returns. I've never used a thermal or NV binocular myself, but it seems to me your vision would be totally wiped out in both eyes for a while and even if you just take a quick peek around. I'd rather have at least one good eye all the time.

I use a Pulsar Axion Key XM30 as a scanner. It was about $1350 or thereabouts, best I can recall. I've said it before and I'll say it again, that is the last of my night hunting equipment I'd want to give up. I have a quite nice Pulsar thermal scope on my night gun and I like it very much, but I'd give it up and go back to digital night vision before I'd give up that little thermal scanner. It's just too useful and makes night hunting MUCH easier.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My AGM Taipan 10-256 was $550, I looked tonight and the 15-384 is $1195. If it was that cheap when I bought mine, I would’ve went 384, seems like it was $1500.

But I paired mine with my phone and drove down the road, cows and calves are easily identified. I’m sure the 384 would be better but for now I’ll rely on my Wraith NV scope to ID before I shoot. Probably upgrade to a thermal scope eventually.

In Huntsman’s case of looking for someone around the place, I would be comfortable using my 10-256 scanner. But again, the 384 would only be better.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Do these handheld thermal scanners have a mount/hole on the bottom for tripod use?

Did the deed today. Called Doug and ordered a Pulsar refurb monocular for scanning and the Arken cheapo NV scope. The Arken is on a slow boat from china, so that may be a while getting here. Will toss it on cheap dpms AR for giggles. Also have a Wraith mini thermal on the way for my suppressed AR. Figgered to try both ways and find out the diff's for myself. These otter be good enuff for what little use I need them for, but if I was going whole hoglet, like Geedub, I woulda been a little free-er with my funds.....

Appreciate all the input, fellers. Don

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There may be something that includes a tripod mount, but I wouldn't know which. Which Pulsar did you choose? Out of curiosity I tried to dig one up on CL's website but couldn't find anything refurbed.

You're gonna love thermal!

Nothing. Can. Hide.

Now you need hogs up there in Wyoming country.

Just kidding. You really don't!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The AGM scanners do have a tripod mount on the bottom.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dug my Pulsar out of my backpack to take a look, and sure enough it has a provision for mounting as well. It was there the whole time, I just never had occasion to think I may want to use it that way. I've had mine two or three years and was never aware of that feature. LOL.

Don't be the darkness.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Do these handheld thermal scanners have a mount/hole on the bottom for tripod use?

Did the deed today. Called Doug and ordered a Pulsar refurb monocular for scanning and the Arken cheapo NV scope. The Arken is on a slow boat from china, so that may be a while getting here. Will toss it on cheap dpms AR for giggles. Also have a Wraith mini thermal on the way for my suppressed AR. Figgered to try both ways and find out the diff's for myself. These otter be good enuff for what little use I need them for, but if I was going whole hoglet, like Geedub, I woulda been a little free-er with my funds.....

Appreciate all the input, fellers. Don

Don,

What's the old saying, "Rome wasn't built in a day".

It's taken me since 2002 or there abouts to acquire my night hunting equipment.

Sounds like you chose well.

Next thing you know you might get into modern air guns.

What with all the varmints you got you should have a ball with your NV and thermal.

Originally Posted by TWR
The AGM scanners do have a tripod mount on the bottom.

yup!

GWB

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I have the Wraith NV 2-16x, it is digital and has worked well for me, like you, I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money to only shoot hogs every now and then on a friends ranch and entry into the game.

I bought a better IR illuminator, since the one it comes with was sometimes not enough. Another advantage was that the flashlight I got for IR illumination can take different bulbs, so it can be used as a regular green light source (or red ' but I bought a green one).

As mentiones, the illuminators will have the washout effect with reflections from brush, and depending on where you position it, sometimes the smoke from firing will flash and "blind" the scope, enough that it can limit shots if not on an open field and hogs can hide.

The only thermals I have seen have been cheaper ones and the resolution of the rest of the forest looked better with the NV, albeit you can't see behind brush

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Which Pulsar did you choose? Out of curiosity I tried to dig one up on CL's website but couldn't find anything refurbed.

Haha! that's because I grabbed the only/last one. Axion2 XG35 for $1999. Decided to bump up to the one above yours for just a couple hundo more.

geedub, I have a little tripod like that on my Garmin....
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

thanks again, guys.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We've been getting good feedback on the new InfiRay Outdoor AFFO AP13 Thermal Monocular.

The AFFO Series handheld thermal imaging monocular is an entry-level thermal monocular for users, featuring both a fashionable appearance and a more compact size. The AFFO Series uses a self-developed 12ΞΌm detector to produce crisp images and supports photo taking and video recording with its built-in high-speed 32GB storage capacity.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Which Pulsar did you choose? Out of curiosity I tried to dig one up on CL's website but couldn't find anything refurbed.

Haha! that's because I grabbed the only/last one. Axion2 XG35 for $1999. Decided to bump up to the one above yours for just a couple hundo more.

That's a solid scanner, amigo. I used the previous generation with LRF.

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Would have loved to have LRF in the dark, but I was too cheap to spring for the LRF one.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

geedub, I have a little tripod like that on my Garmin....

thanks again, guys.

10/4

you didn't think I'd be savvy enough to think of buying that one with out a little help from a friend.

I may be a Texican that hunts behind Gates in Golf Carts, but I can follow sign (if its plain enough).

ya!

GWB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Excellent choice, Don. I don't think you'll ever regret it, even for a microsecond.

I might decide to upgrade mine, but it would just be an extravagance like when I upgraded from a 384 thermal scope to a 640. Not really truly necessary, but nice.

The LRF idea is not a bad one at all. It is somewhere between impossible and can't-be-done to estimate range using a thermal. The images are just too synthetic, for lack of a better term. DNV might be easier because it's much more like looking at a B&W image, but that would never be enough of an advantage for me to switch back to DNV.

I think there's some new stuff coming out that, based on the little attention I have paid to it, is kind of a hybrid between DNV and thermal. I stay off sites where I can read more about it for the same reason I do not test drive BMWs or Corvettes.

Don't be the darkness.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Excellent choice, Don. I don't think you'll ever regret it, even for a microsecond.

I might decide to upgrade mine, but it would just be an extravagance like when I upgraded from a 384 thermal scope to a 640. Not really truly necessary, but nice.

The LRF idea is not a bad one at all. It is somewhere between impossible and can't-be-done to estimate range using a thermal. The images are just too synthetic, for lack of a better term. DNV might be easier because it's much more like looking at a B&W image, but that would never be enough of an advantage for me to switch back to DNV.

I think there's some new stuff coming out that, based on the little attention I have paid to it, is kind of a hybrid between DNV and thermal. I stay off sites where I can read more about it for the same reason I do not test drive BMWs or Corvettes.

I feel ya.

I'd luv one of the new Super Yoter LRF's, but at this time not willing to plunk down near near 5K for that feature.

ya!

GWB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would have loved to have LRF in the dark, but I was too cheap to spring for the LRF one.

I suspect you've just begun your slippery descent down thy rabbit hole. grin

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You suspect wrong. Just like geedub thinks I have ANY inkling to get into fancy/schmancy airguns. That said, the local LGS does have a Ruger American Ranch in 6.5 grendel that they're gonna hold for me for a couple weeks (or until I replenish some cash) to mount the Wraith on, instead of my suppressed AR. I can put the Arken on that and put my currently unmounted Harvester on the grendel and have 2 suppressed night rigs. After that, I'm done. Really......grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ohhh, but it's a great ride. LOL.

[Linked Image from i.gifer.com]

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You suspect wrong. Just like geedub thinks I have ANY inkling to get into fancy/schmancy airguns. That said, the local LGS does have a Ruger American Ranch in 6.5 grendel that they're gonna hold for me for a couple weeks (or until I replenish some cash) to mount the Wraith on, instead of my suppressed AR. I can put the Arken on that and put my currently unmounted Harvester on the grendel and have 2 suppressed night rigs. After that, I'm done. Really......grin

Quoting this one for posterity, my friend. laugh

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

Don't be the darkness.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
does the thermal give up a lot in the daylight?

Not in my experience. The debut of my Pulsar Talion XQ 38 was so surprisingly clear & resolute, I thought, I could just hunt with this alone, daylight or dark.

Just remember, thermals do not give you a picture of antlers. They have no heat signature.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Just remember, thermals do not give you a picture of antlers. They have no heat signature.

That's not 100% true. In colder conditions, there's generally enough heat-bleed to at least cast a vague outline.
And it also involves some tweaking to the settings to get contrast and brightness just right.

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mounting thermal scanners to a window mount and feeding the image to a tablet makes driving in the dark more fun.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SKane

That's not 100% true. In colder conditions, there's generally enough heat-bleed to at least cast a vague outline.
And it also involves some tweaking to the settings to get contrast and brightness just right.
Agree, the other night hog hunting I had a large buck walk in at about 80 yards and as it turned its head, I could see antlers and this boy was a 9 or 10 point. Standing still hard to see them but when he turned his head, easy to see.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm sure others have provided great feedback on this subject... I'm well into the rabbit hole on Thermals so I'll share my experience.

Started with an entry level Pulsar scope three years ago struggled holding zero and then the pulsar rep told me they had trouble with bodies twisting due to temp swings.... Worked OK but then you want more.... sold it.

Purchased a Pulsar monocular XM30 for spotting along with the Pulsar scope. Monoculars work for scanning because you are not moving the rifle around all the time. I hunt tight SC timber so it's one or two shots and done. The monocular works great for spotting deer in cutovers early mornings too. Legal where I hunt as long as it's not mountable on a weapon and only an observation device.

Sold the monocular last month and replaced it with a Pulsar XM35 with better resolution and love it.

Purchased a Trijicon REAP IR MKII 60 from Europtic and love it. Price hurt but it was a game changer and rugged. (Made for 18 years olds in the military) It's heavy but I hunt using a bogpod death grip so the rifle and thermal are mounted on the tripod.

Last year I bought a ATN LT 2-4X as an economical backup on a second rifle and loaner for friends who want to night hunt. Like it a lot but you must be careful as the housing is plastic. Image quality was good too.

Budget:

Monocular say $1600 to 2K
Trijicon REAP was $7K in mid 2022 and retailed for 9K. Expensive but I'll own this for a long time and you can run over it an it will still work... Today, there are good thermals for half the price.
ATN LT 2-4 was around $1,100

If you are going to get serious about Thermal hunting, buy the best you afford or a bit more than you can afford. Buy once and cry once.

Now one thing about thermals I learned and I'm sure most others who have been using these know this already... One knock on my REAP is base magnification is 1 power and then goes 2, 4, 8. Every time you zoom, the resolution is cut in half. I run mine mostly on 2X magnification so you are starting with a high re$olution thermal and right away cutting its resolution in half. The ATN starts are 2X and then goes to 4X, so your base magnification with best resolution is 2X.

So look at a thermal that has its highest resolution at the power you are going to generally shoot so you are not wasting any by zooming. If I got this wrong, someone correct me as this is all a learning experience all be it a pricey one....

But, fun as can be and I never thought night hunting could be this fun and using the monocular for early morning spotting in large cutovers for deer is great. Check your laws as the state I hunt in doesn't allow the use of artificial light when hunting deer but thermal does not project artificial light but one could get creative and say the screen in the scope is artificially lit. The interpretation I got was that since the monocular is for spotting and cannot be mounted on a weapon it's ok. I'd never take the REAP with me deer hunting to spot with.

One other rambling point is you really have to practice with the thermal as you have no depth perception and you are shooting at what you see on a TV screen so practice helps. I've shot at hogs that I thought were closer and they were actually farther away. On my hog spots I have some landmarks to help be gauge where the hog is actually standing. Spot and stalking in the woods at night on a group of pigs is a blast!

Hope this helps.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Which between these two inexpensive choices for very occasional night hunting of 'yotes to go along with a handheld thermal?:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sightmark-wraith-4k-mini-2-16x32-night-vision-scope-sm18041.html

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scottryan
Which between these two inexpensive choices for very occasional night hunting of 'yotes to go along with a handheld thermal?:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sightmark-wraith-4k-mini-2-16x32-night-vision-scope-sm18041.html

Personally, I'd go with the Sightmark product. I know that they're good with support (they support Pulsar products in the US, and I have first-hand experience with them).

I have no idea how good Arken support would be.

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Wraith is only rated down to freezing if you live somewhere like here where coyote hunting is often a below zero activity.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Wraith is only rated down to freezing if you live somewhere like here where coyote hunting is often a below zero activity.

Good catch. I'm surprised that Sightmark accepted that limitation. But, hey...there it is.

Don't be the darkness.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Have seen the vague outline. I'll go back & revisit the settings.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Wow. Good to know and a game changer as I'm in the midwest. We were way below zero all weekend.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have the Wraith and it’s a decent scope that could use an upgraded IR illuminator. It was easy to sight in and has held zero. I like it.

We have just got above freezing today for the first time since last Friday night. I went out the other night at 9 degrees and it was working but nothing was out except me so I don’t know how well it would’ve worked.

I returned my AGM 10-256 scanner today and ordered a 15-384. Hopefully I’ll get to try it out this weekend.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by TWR
I returned my AGM 10-256 scanner today and ordered a 15-384. Hopefully I’ll get to try it out this weekend.

I'm enjoying mine. I think you will like it

September 27, 2023, Hall's Bayou Ranch, humid and 85+ degrees. Guys were walking back from the sight where latest perforated hoglet had expired.

1.5x base mag.

Great for discovery, then go to the gun.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/17/24.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 385 res from any of the known players will always be useful, scanner or scope.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
A 385 res from any of the known players will always be useful, scanner or scope.

Atta Boy Red Face Burnsy

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hey, geedub. Can a guy turn off those little blinking green cross thingy's? Those would drive me frickin batty having to look at them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey, geedub. Can a guy turn off those little blinking green cross thingy's? Those would drive me frickin batty having to look at them.

That's just "Hot Tracking" and can be on or off in a setting.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

I know what you mean.

Yes they can,

That was my first outing with the Scanner, and it does have a bit of a learning curve.

Typically do not use the hot tracking option. Usually just plain old black hot or white hot.

Best,

GWB

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
A friend pre-positioned an N-Vision Halo XRF at my house for an upcoming pig hunt. Haven’t shot with it yet but have played around with it a bit and it is super impressive. Day, night, close, far, doesn’t matter. Critters just pop. Very impressed with the range finder too, having ranged stuff at > 1200 yards. Will zero it today if time allows.

YouTube video is not mine, but does give a good idea of image quality.

John

https://nvisionoptics.com/product/halo-xrf/

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That’s what I pair with an AGM Neith NV scope and Sniper Hog light. The little Pulsar sees use in all kinds of scenarios and is super handy on a neck strap. The 640 scanner and NV combo seems to me like a lot of kit for $3k. Very capable. The only real advantage of 640 over 384 for the scanner is ID range, especially with smaller critters. I could tell a lone deer from a lone hog at 300yds with my 384res version, which was actually plenty of capability for a hog hunter.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
hondo, a guy has to kill a chitload of $10 dollar coyotes to pay for that halo unit......

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
hondo, a guy has to kill a chitload of $10 dollar coyotes to pay for that halo unit......

Roger that! That’s why I don’t have one, but much to my amazement, the wife said we might need to invest in one in the future…

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I never thought that my thermal scope and monocular were money making financial investments.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I have a Pulsar Thermion 2 XP50 scope and the Pulsar Merger LRF XP50 bino's. What an awesome combination. I prefer having the range finding abilities on my bino's, rather than the scope because it mimics my day hunting of spot and range with the bino's and shoot it with the rifle.

A pretty cool function on the Pulsar is the pair to phone with the movement ID/alert function. If your hunting pigs at a feeder, you can prop the rifle to look at the feeder, then turn the display off to conserve battery. Meantime, stream it to your phone and enable the alert and auto start recording. The phone will ding/vibrate and start recording when the pigs show up.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Got the pulsar scanner-matic today. This thing is gonna be a lotta fun. It picks up traffic out on the interstatefrom 800-1700 yards, my longhorns at 1500 yards, chickens at 150. I'll do more playing with it tonight after dark....

The tripod mount isn't a simple screwhole on the bottom, but a angle deallie that mounts to the front. Kinda weird, but seems to work ok....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck sleeping at night….lol

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JPro
Good luck sleeping at night….lol

I'm not sure how it is there, but where I hunt, I can go all day and not see a critter. However, at night the woods come alive.

ya!

GWB

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Weird evening with the N-Vision Halo. Put my .22 GT with thermal on it on my tripod and was observing the field behind the house. Spotted several jack rabbits and was able to range them as far as 439 yards. Was then looking at neighbor’s cows 1000 yards to my south and saw a pair of coyotes with them. Was able to range the coyotes at well past 1k. Watched what they were doing and it looked like they were harassing a heifer that was calving. Took the mule down there to try and get a shot at a coyote. I did take a shot at 233 yards, but just didn’t have a good position and missed. Went back to observing the laboring cow. Something just wasn’t right with it so I went through the fence to get a better look. Once I got close enough I saw it wasn’t a calving heifer at all but rather a big sow. Didn’t look like she was birthing. She was popping her tenth at me but she couldn’t get up. The coyotes had been chewing on her ass end. Killed her with my 9mm. I’m sure the coyotes will feast tonight.

John

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Went out for a little bit tonight just to try the new 15-384 AGM scanner. Thing worked very well and I experienced what most have said about night vision.

Saw a white horse at about 150 yards away with the scanner. He was in some timber with lots of low hanging limbs between us. My Wraith mini 4K could not pick the horse up enough to positively ID. I could see it plain as day with the thermal.

I will upgrade to a thermal scope one day for sure. But for now the NV will have to do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

New Rico G LRF GH50R

1st night test sitting in the truck resting the thermal on the window glass.

Fence post is 100 yards

Bottom of the hill is 400 yards

Top of the hill is 550 yards

Far treeline is 1050 yards

Far treeline to the right is 1550 yards

Slow twists & fast bullets reign supreme at night with thermals.

12" twist 22 DTI, 52 Bergers at 3500......double f'ing hint......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a heck of a coyote setup there. The GH50R seems impressive.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aalf

Yep. BC's be-damned at night.
Get all the @ss in the tank you can get.

Pretty crisp footage there, Al. And recorded video is compressed/downgraded compared to the view one actually sees in the scope.

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like having the LRF in the scanner but when it comes to brass tacks, LRF in the scope is aces before and when sparks begin to fly. smile

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. BC's be-damned at night. Get all the @ss in the tank you can get.

Pretty crisp footage there, Al. And recorded video is compressed/downgraded compared to the view one actually sees in the scope.

Most nights I'm blown away on the image. I liked my Super Hogster, but this one is a good step up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yep. BC's be-damned at night.
Get all the @ss in the tank you can get.

I don't think y'all can say that in the optics forum.....

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Let us know how you like your purchases. Thermal is on my radar this year

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I was thinking just an 18 inch barreled 5.56 with 45 grain TSX bullets? I am not sure I understand the advantage of a slow twist.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I imagine he was simply saying that an accurate and flat trajectory is especially advantageous at night on coyote-sized targets. Hitting very close to POA at moderate ranges is more important than extreme long range ballistics and wind drift in that scenario.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I was thinking just an 18 inch barreled 5.56 with 45 grain TSX bullets? I am not sure I understand the advantage of a slow twist.
Your ability to gauge yardage estimations go out the window in the dark......

Fast & flat is where it's at.

My DTI is .6" high at 100, dead on at 200, 5" low at 300, so I can stay on fur almost out to 300.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
^^^I’m leery of moving away from 223 for the volume I sometimes shoot, but it’d be doable for a dedicated coyote rig. I like 77gr 223s for a lot of things, but give me 55gr V-Maxs at 5.56 specs for my night rig. I have to move between smaller fields a lot, so rarely taking shots past 250….though the optic resolution is very nice to have in case some neighboring farm’s dog is roaming through, instead of Wiley.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
^^^I’m leery of moving away from 223 for the volume I sometimes shoot, but it’d be doable for a dedicated coyote rig. I like 77gr 223s for a lot of things, but give me 55gr V-Maxs at 5.56 specs for my night rig. I have to move between smaller fields a lot, so rarely taking shots past 250….though the optic resolution is very nice to have in case some neighboring farm’s dog is roaming through, instead of Wiley.
The 53 V-Max is a great bullet out of the 223. I ran them the first year in an 18" barrel at 3200.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
With Shot show coming up, we may see some new thermals or lowered prices on existing products.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I think we're starting to see lots of competition of competent thermals with comparable features. I expect prices to start dropping on the 640 x 480 and the lower resolutions. This might also start pulling down the pricing of the higher units. I think the 640 x 480 units can suit all but the long range shooters needs.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
So how’s the Wraith thermal?

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm liking it. Even tho it's a cheapie, it'll be just what I need for occasional uses. Have both set up the same as far as on 'black hot' settings ( which I prefer after playing with all of them), and the wraith isn't much worse than the 640 scanner. Gives up a little as far as identifying critters, but I can use the scanner for that and transition to the wraith to shoot. I think 300 yards in the dark is doable on a coyote with the wraith. I'm hoping to get 'er mounted this week and go try to kill something as I'm getting bored just playing with them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Starting speed/performance,isn't finish line speed/performance and a Thermal with LRF,tends to connect dots in non-lineal fashion. Pass the extry BC and hold all The Fluff. Hint.

Make mine a 22 PPC AFI Krunchenticker,mainly because it is. Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Starting speed/performance,isn't finish line speed/performance and a Thermal with LRF,tends to connect dots in non-lineal fashion. Pass the extry BC and hold all The Fluff. Hint.
Hang some current pics and videos of your 400 plus yard thermal kills.....double hint....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sweetheart,

Physics doesn't require ambient light. Pardon the reality of LRF,bursting all your bubbles,as known distance is never going to be second fiddle to a GUESS. Hint.

Though in "fairness",Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Hint.

Bless your heart.

Hint...............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sweetheart,
Physics doesn't require ambient light. Pardon the reality of LRF,bursting all your bubbles,as known distance is never going to be second fiddle to a GUESS. Hint.
Bless your heart.
Hint...............
My thermal has LRF, I don't have to guess.

Hang some kill videos....hint....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keep filling out Hurt Feeler Reports,to "vindicate" your Professional Victim status and don't forget to double down on your sense of Entitlement...as you Whine aloud. Hint.

Bless your heart.

Hint...............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't gimme that hurt feeler, imitation bullshit, hang some videos of your LR thermal kills.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Hang some kill videos....hint....

No problem.

I'd been scanning west when I picked up this guy through the scanner. He was on the move so I did not have time to make a shot. He circled around and I picked up his image throuh the brush. It was just a matter of time to wait until he cleared the cat-claw and poke his nose out.....

Sig Cross, 308 Win. Norma Factory 150 gr. soft points, +/- 90 yds. Black hot.

ya!

GWB

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sweetheart,

Your VERY Tender Hurt Feeler Reports,propensity to fixate me(because you are smitten) and HILARIOUS sense of Entitlement weren't "gifts" from me,as you've lonnggggggggg owned same,via your Professional Victim status and a "life" spent attaining the "satisfaction" of same. Perhaps hold your breath,so as to add even more Hissy to your Fit? Hint.

Bless your heart,as you drool over "living" vicariously.

Hint...............

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Pretty much same-same, only different time and place.........

ya!

GWB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sweetheart,Your VERY Tender Hurt Feeler Reports,propensity to fixate me(because you are smitten) and HILARIOUS sense of Entitlement weren't "gifts" from me,as you've lonnggggggggg owned same,via your Professional Victim status and a "life" spent attaining the "satisfaction" of same. Perhaps hold your breath,so as to add even more Hissy to your Fit? Hint.
Bless your heart,as you drool over "living" vicariously.
Hint...............
So they'd be long way around the block to say you don't have any videos.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice shooting GW!

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sweetheart,

Your added Hissy,is making your keyboard slur. Might I suggest (3) Midol and 1000cc's of Vagisil,in your usual location(s)? Hint.

Bless your heart,as you fixate me and drool over "living" vicariously,because you cannot even BEGIN to "do" enough for yourself. Hint.

Roughly how many times a day/night,do you think about me and what am I wearing? Besides being a Dumb Kchunt,you're a randy Bitch,ain'tcha'?!? HINT.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sweetheart,
Your added Hissy,is making your keyboard slur. Might I suggest (3) Midol and 1000cc's of Vagisil,in your usual location(s)? Hint.
Bless your heart,as you fixate me and drool over "living" vicariously,because you cannot even BEGIN to "do" enough for yourself. Hint.
Roughly how many times a day/night,do you think about me and what am I wearing? Besides being a Dumb Kchunt,you're a randy Bitch,ain'tcha'?!? HINT.
Stop flattering yourself, it's not a good look......

So no videos then, got it......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Good stuff, aalf!

ya!

GWB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

We've got a GUSHER!

WWP53D
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sweetheart,

Your vicarious FIXATIONS aren't a "look",but rather your "life". Pardon the power of my words consuming you so,as you bang out fresh Hurt Feeler Reports,in that high pitched Professional Victim Whine...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Hint.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep the videos coming!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keep the videos coming!
Don't hold your breath for any coming from Alaska.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You gals REALLY should join "forces"! Hint.

Cyber Hanky for your tears and more ink for your Professional Victim Hurt Feeler Reports. Hint.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep the videos coming!
Don't hold your breath for any coming from Alaska.....

I was obviously referring to those who'd already posted videos. πŸ˜‰

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lawrence,

The reality is chasing coyotes in the lower 48 is different than whatever you're pursuing in your locale. 350 turns to 150 and 150 turns to 450 right flippin' quick.

I use the same model scope as you, and, as you're aware, the LRF sits well beneath the crosshairs.
One can either fiddlephuck with buttons when distances are changing in a hurry – only then to get back on target, or, one can simply commence to killin'....Pass the latter, hold the fluff.

WWP53D
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ladies,

I'd no begin to slight the Fact(s),that you are the best source of discerning your Disabilities. Hint.

Much to be said for a lineal Milscale,when it comes to deviating from Known Distance,to Unknown Distance. Same goes familiarity with a given platform's requirements,beings you are going to be looking through the fhuqking thing anyhow. Surprised someone hasn't mentioned a Self-Shucking 224 Grendel for same. Ooooopsie! Hint.

Pardon my inability,to correlate your Disabilities,as I'm not suffering same,but keep filling out them Hurt Feeler Reports,because it's funnier than fhuqk. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had 2 or 3 come in from my left, & couldn't find them down below the crest of the hill.

Kept calling and had one run in the back door.

Flat shooter negates yardage woes under duress.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, it just stopped and gave you the shot at the end. Bang-flop at 3:11

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
January 4, 2024,

Another one bites the dust.

+/- 90 yds, Sig Cross, 308 Win, 150gr. Norma Soft Points, Super Yoter optic.

First javelina I"ve perforated at night!

Starting out at 3x, increase to 6x.

I expect them to drop and paddle. If there is any doubt, they get a second shot.

ya!

GWB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A bark or howl is always worth a try, & generally works as in this case.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A bark or howl is always worth a try, & generally works as in this case.
Good example here, another one blows through the back door, & spotted the light on the remote when I tried to shut it down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So foggy you couldn't see across the street, 24 degrees and 96% humidity.

How far is he when your LRF doesn't work?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[b]Slow twists & fast bullets reign supreme at night with thermals.

Snipped your post just to say one does not have have a slow twist to go light fast bullet.

Fast flat midrange looks like a good way to go for night hunting but one can do that even with with a faster twist, as you know.

Good stuff on the video and thanks for posting it.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 01/22/24.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Looks like AGM introduced a new version of the rattler with a rechargeable battery, I called to ask about it and the woman that answered the phone said that under colder conditions the CR123's might only last 1 hour, so they have a battery they say will last 11 hours, it comes with two of them and went to a 12 micron sensor and of course raised the price.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I watched a video this morning about this. The older 384 units have a 12 micron sensor but this one is supposed to be a better grade as I understood it. The old ones will also take a 5 volt battery pack plugged in the charging port for extended battery life but the new removable/rechargeable batteries are getting significantly longer battery life and the V2 comes with 2 batteries. Looking to be around $2300, I think the Sightmark Wraith Thermal is around $1800 but I'm looking forward to seeing what else comes out of SHOT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The new 384res V2 Rattlers also now come with increased base magnification, as well as the newer low-NETD 12 micron sensor from the Sidewinder line. Better picture quality/definition, better batteries, better magnification options, good QD mount, all sounds like a very solid option for the money these days. While not perfect for 50yd or closer shots, I could see a 3x 384res unit with that kind of picture quality actually being capable of 200yd shots without a lot of issue. Not bad for $2500.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the trijicon units still use the cr123 batteries, at 3 times the price for the thermal unit, honestly though the lifetime is shorter, having the ability to carry a pocket full of batteries rather than to recharge your battery appeals to me somehow. Guess I am too old to relish rechargeable batteries in everything.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I carry spare CR123’s on my guns, in my truck, at work and here at the house. My EDC flashlight uses them as do my weapon lights.

But I’ve also got a few lights that use the 18650 rechargeable batteries that can still use CR123’s if needed. I’ll always have both cause 2 is 1…

And I have an auxiliary power unit that can plug into my Wraith or my scanner if needed.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Let the fun begin....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Another who prefers the small CR123s and will not buy a built-in. Chose Rattlers partly on the basis of the Adder's built-ins that add weight and have potential to cause havoc if goes bad - even if rare. I don't keep batteries in anything except Aimpoints.

More frequent battery changes? Don't care. Batteries draw down faster in the cold - small, large, EV-size, whatever. Bring enough of whatever battery you need.

Nice to have options tho. No right or wrong to this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That Ruger/Sightmark combo does indeed look fun......

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes it looks good.

I got to thinking about my horse encounter the other night and the IR illuminator only reaches out 100-150 yards which was right on the edge of where the horse was that I couldn't see through the NV scope. So just to see I ordered a better IR illuminator from Armasight. I really like the detail NV gives over thermal so still hoping to have the benefits of both.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don,

You'll be going to bed later and later in the coming months. laugh

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
Yes it looks good.

I got to thinking about my horse encounter the other night and the IR illuminator only reaches out 100-150 yards which was right on the edge of where the horse was that I couldn't see through the NV scope. So just to see I ordered a better IR illuminator from Armasight. I really like the detail NV gives over thermal so still hoping to have the benefits of both.

I'd also call that factory Wraith IR light a decent 100-150yd light. Swapping for a stout 50mm IR light made it easy to watch deer in my pasture with the Wraith HD I had at 250yds. Plenty of definition for kill shots on a hog in that same shot situation.

As the mid-priced thermal scope market improves, I likely grow closer to moving to a thermal scope to accompany my 640 thermal scanner. At some point there will be an reasonably-priced option out there that is 50-250yd capable that pushes me over the edge, away from digital NV. At this point I simply cannot justify an aiming device that is $3,000+ over the cost of my NV scope setup. If I was in coyote country, that would likely be an easier sell.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What aftermarket illuminator do you recommend for my incoming Arken NV?

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
This is the one I bought
https://armasight.com/watchman-ir-illuminator/

It has good reviews on YouTube to watch and compare, the other one that is good but a much bigger light is the Hogster 66
https://outdoorlegacygear.com/products/sniper-hog-light-66lrx-ir-illuminator

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I will eventually get a thermal scope but having this NV as a backup will be okay.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like that Armasight IR light is competitive with the Sniper Hog 50LRX Turbo I use. With the newer LED modules, the big 66LRX and Coyote Cannon models aren't as necessary as they once were. The 50LRX isn't super bulky and I like the 18650 battery compatibility with my AGM Neith NV scope and my green/red LED light I use at times.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What aftermarket illuminator do you recommend for my incoming Arken NV?

I bought a Sniper Hog light and it is great. I picked the 50LRX Gun Hunters Package IR 850nm and for $20 got and extra bulb in Green. They shipped the following day and got it quite fast and I was able to use some sort of coupon to bring the price down by $20

Here is the link. You may not want all the accessories, but the light itself is more than what I need with my Wraith 2-16x NV and way better than the IR illuminator it comes with. The green bulb is also excellent.
IR illuminator from Sniper Hoghttps://sniperhoglights.com/50lrx-gun-hunters-package-with-1-4-colors/

From looking at the price now hasn't changed much in the past 3years

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Never messed w this stuff.
See the Sightmark mini Wraith is under 500 on sale.
I don't hunt much below freezing.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The guys came over to shoot today, and I played with the wraith/grendel. The sun warmed the gongs up enough to see them well, and it was no problem banging them to 300 yards. Now to catch a coyote out in the meadow one night.... I named the little Wraith 'Hansel'. Hansel and Grendel.....

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I use the Night Snipe n750 from Predatorhunteroutdoors.com

Supposely it will illuminate 1,000 yds. It allows one to telescope as well as change intensity of the illumination. Far superior to the illuminator that comes with the kit.

https://www.predatorhunteroutdoors....g-dimmable-hunting-kit-nightsnipe-ns750/

I've taken a ton of hogs during the time I've used it.

It has served me well for st least 5 years coupled with my Browning X-Bolt and the ATN 4K Pro 5-20 NV optic.

The distance in the Vid is 120 yds.

ya!

GWB

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The new IR illuminator is a tad better but had 3 pigs in the woods on the edge of a pasture, could see em plain as day at 200 yards with the thermal but had to get up to under 100 to see them with the NV and even then I just couldn’t get a confident shot.

Lesson for the day? Thermal is king.

Edit to add; the new IR illuminator is maybe a whole bunch better if you use it as intended. I had it focused all the way in thinking that was giving me the spotlight but instead that was the flood mode. Just mounted it on a more even plane with the scope and tried it on actual spot light mode and I can see trees and past trees out to about 200 yards now. I might make this work after all.

Last edited by TWR; 01/31/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The focus really matters, even on the big lights. 250yd β€œshootability” should be rather realistic when focused tight.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just mounted a iRay Bolt 35TL on my 6.5 CM. Working to get it sighted in now. Lots of menus to learn, for sure

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TWR
The new IR illuminator is a tad better but had 3 pigs in the woods on the edge of a pasture, could see em plain as day at 200 yards with the thermal but had to get up to under 100 to see them with the NV and even then I just couldn’t get a confident shot.

Edit to add; the new IR illuminator is maybe a whole bunch better if you use it as intended. I had it focused all the way in thinking that was giving me the spotlight but instead that was the flood mode. Just mounted it on a more even plane with the scope and tried it on actual spot light mode and I can see trees and past trees out to about 200 yards now. I might make this work after all.

Make sure your light is shining the same direction that your scope is looking as well.

If you have an adjustable mount for the light, you have to "sight it in" so to speak to aim where you are looking. With a good light, and a tight beam, you should be able to see much, much further than you can shoot. I have no trouble seeing 800 plus yards with mine.

Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Subscribed

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by TWR

Make sure your light is shining the same direction that your scope is looking as well.

If you have an adjustable mount for the light, you have to "sight it in" so to speak to aim where you are looking. With a good light, and a tight beam, you should be able to see much, much further than you can shoot. I have no trouble seeing 800 plus yards with mine.
I tried it around the house but I didn’t have any adjustment in the mount and thought it would be good enough. Open ground I saw skunks, coyotes and deer out to 250 yards or so (night time distance is a guess at best). The flood in the trees really cut down any usefulness.

Lessons learned.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
One thing I learned though is to have a small red light handy. Sometimes the simplest things make you go WTF in pitch black dark.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Went out tonight and tried the new Armasight Watchman IR illuminator in the offset and it lined up perfectly. Saw and ID’d deer and coyotes way out there.

Thermal is still my goal but this will work for now.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
One more thing I know I've read and heard but bears repeating is a scanner is great with a 1.5 or 2x magnification to have a good FOV but the sight needs to be higher magnification regardless of the resolution. Every time you increase zoom, the resolution gets cut in half. Trying to ID something at 1000 yards and cutting your resolution down drives me insane.

So question, how do the clip on thermals work when you zoom your scope instead of the thermal?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
So question, how do the clip on thermals work when you zoom your scope instead of the thermal?

I ran this past my Burris Tech Rep and he replied:

"Burris clip-on thermal *does* still have a zoom function, and it works just like any other thermal zoom. When zooming the dayscope however, all you're doing is zooming in on the display screen at the back of the clip-on. This isn't much of an issue at low powers, hence why I much prefer to use the BTC with LPVOs like the RT-6, or a fixed-power prism sight like the RT-3 or RT-5.

Something to keep in mind is that the clip-on's zoom may not be centered on the same point as the dayscope's crosshair, which is why we have the image shift function built into BTC's menus - typically though, I don't recommend using it as it can change your point of impact when the clip-on is attached. In the field, I'll use the thermal zoom to ID a target, then zoom out and use the dayscope zoom to actually engage it."

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The guys came over to shoot today, and I played with the wraith/grendel. The sun warmed the gongs up enough to see them well, and it was no problem banging them to 300 yards. Now to catch a coyote out in the meadow one night.... I named the little Wraith 'Hansel'. Hansel and Grendel.....

That is funny!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
One more thing I know I've read and heard but bears repeating is a scanner is great with a 1.5 or 2x magnification to have a good FOV but the sight needs to be higher magnification regardless of the resolution. Every time you increase zoom, the resolution gets cut in half. Trying to ID something at 1000 yards and cutting your resolution down drives me insane.

It's the same sort of dilema.

With a clip on you have 2 options.

#1 Leave the day scope the same and using digital zoom of the thermal.

#2 is to zoom the day optic into the thermals display.

Both options are 2 sides of the same coin.

One major advantage of the clip on at 1x is using the dials on the day scope for hold over. If one uses the digital zoom on the thermal then that advantage goes away.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just went outside to compare thermal digital zoom to day optic zoom into the thermal display with a StingIR 640 res clip-on mounted in front of a Leupould 3-18x50mm VX-6 HD.

Both day scope and thermal are 1.640" above the rail (2.875 over bore line) and I have a 25mm reducer on the objective to limit the amount of stray light entering the scope.

Deer at 500yds are identifiable both ways but I prefer the thermal on 1X and use the zoom on the day scope. I prefer the image of thermal at 1X and scope zoomed to 9X if I was shooting.

Adjusting the digital zoom on a clip on is a pain due to the thermal being out in front of the scope and harder to reach. Finding the right button to push to zoom couldbe problematic in a hunting situation where as zooming the day optic is very simple.

The AGM StingIR does not have digital zoom in clip on mode but you can use it in scan mode to test the effect.

The StingIR is 8 ozs and really does a lot of things pretty well.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks Doug and John.

To me with the day scope it seems you would be zooming on 640 vs cutting down the resolution to 320 by zooming the thermal. By just holding my scanner in front of a 1-6 Trijicon, the image seems better.

Lots to learn.

Last edited by TWR; 02/08/24.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
John, I guess you have to focus the reticle of the day scope onto the screen of the thermal clip on? It seems weird, and I am still torn between a thermal scope and a clip on. I have a Trijicon Creedo 1-8 FFP which is a good scope, or a NF 2.5 x 10 x 42 I could use. It sounds like either way will work, and there is no real advantage to a clip on or a dedicated thermal.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The Arken NV showed up and I can't even try it out. The frigging thing don't even ship with a battery. And there are no 18650 flattop batteries within 50 miles of here to get 'er going. The thing is sure little, and it looks solid. On the hunt for batteries.....

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Can you use 2 CR123’s?

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Tried, no go. About a 1/16th inch too long to thread on the cap. I guess that is why it says flattop 18650's instead of buttontops....

I also tried the 18650 outta my Fenix light. Same deal.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well that sucks. I thought they were a little shorter but evidently not enough.

Well looking forward to a review on it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My son just bought an IRAY and i bought the monocular. Have to say they are pretty cool. He took his out Saturday night and shot a coyote.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I figured out a work-around to the no-battery situation. Clamped the external batt for the mini thermal to the rail and just plugged it in. Worked great and I was able to get it up and running...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 39 invisible), 2,183 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,127
Posts18,483,847
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.