Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know Alaska is a big place lol
Put I will be in Ketchikan on August 16th on a cruise.

Any chance on of you guys would have a guide connection to take us stream fishing?

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I don’t know if stream fishing will be a wilderness experience in Ketchikan given that’s prime humpy time. I know that some of my clients take a float plane trip up in the Misty Fjords to fish alpine lakes for trout. They absolutely love it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haven’t been there in 40 years but it’s the only place with a road from nowhere to nowhere with a tunnel and a stoplight right in the middle. Might go pass Saxman to Mountain Point and catch some pinks.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There is still plenty of time to cancel. I did that cruise last August. If it would have just sucked, it would have been better than it was. 7 days aboard a ship with thousands of people you don’t want to know and 4 days ashore with less than 8 hours each to see a bunch of touristy crap.

You can see by this photo in the Misty Fjords, just how interested everyone was…

“Run Forrest Run”

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
There's a stream right in town where I saw kids catching something. Was glad to get on ferry and head out.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by shrapnel
There is still plenty of time to cancel. I did that cruise last August. If it would have just sucked, it would have been better than it was. 7 days aboard a ship with thousands of people you don’t want to know and 4 days ashore with less than 8 hours each to see a bunch of touristy crap.

You can see by this photo in the Misty Fjords, just how interested everyone was…

“Run Forrest Run”

If people can't appreciate the Misty Fjords they don't belong in Alaska.
FWIW we have never had a desire to be on a cruise ship. Lots of things done there that we have zero interest in. But on our honeymoon we took the ferry and were able to stop and stay however long we wanted until hopping the next. Obviously it could have been a few days until the next. Ferry system is having major problems in areas now though I hear. But a room with a bed and bath. What more do you need. Or sleep on the deck in a bag and chair. And a cafeteria style kitchen on most... it gets you to where the beauty is on your timeline mostly.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
FWIW, I have been to Alaska twice now, once by car for 10 days and one cruise.

This time we are going because of a large group of friends are going and just happens to be my 60th. 26 couples so far……I am positive we can make the best of it.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler
FWIW, I have been to Alaska twice now, once by car for 10 days and one cruise.

This time we are going because of a large group of friends are going and just happens to be my 60th. 26 couples so far……I am positive we can make the best of it.

You will be fine. Alaskan Cruises are very popular.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you should still go on that cruise, my son lived there for several years and we visited often. There is a creek that runs into a bay west of Ketchikan called Ward Lake. The creek that runs into Ward Lake is full of spawning salmon in August and you can go there and fish the outlet of the creek into the lake and with streamers, you can catch, Humpies and once in awhile Silver salmon.

You won't need a guide to go there, you can get tackle and flies from Tongass Trading Company, downtown Ketchikan.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
7 days aboard a ship with thousands of people you don’t want to know and 4 days ashore with less than 8 hours each to see a bunch of touristy crap.

Plenty of time to check out all the T-Shirt and jewelry shops in each locale.

Ray Troll is closing his Soho Coho Gallery after 31 years. It's adjacent to Ketchikan Creek.

About the only Alaska-themed t-shirt I would be caught dead in.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Gotta check out the Sourdough bar. Great photos on the walls

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 1234, 163bc, 59 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,574
Posts18,491,964
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.