[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've never even heard of this. As with any Wildcat, the question begs, "why?"

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was America's first wildcat by some accounts. 30/40 Krag necked down. Not much sense in it today, but as you can imagine, in it's day it had a place.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look up Adolph Otto Niedner, He did that plus a bunch of others. 25 Krag was invented 1907

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Look up Adolph Otto Niedner, He did that plus a bunch of others. 25 Krag was invented 1907

Isn't Neidner credited with the 25-06?

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Isn't Neidner credited with the 25-06?

25 Neidner in ~1920 but some say that Springfield Armory played with the 25.06 during WW1 then sold off everything which is where he got the tooling. Also credited with building the first 257 Roberts rifle for Ned Roberts.

Swifty
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
my second sporterized Krag wants to be a 35 Krag. i already have done my Win m94 in 35/30-30.

http://35caliber.com/8.html

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
A very useful wildcat even today, if you're playing with a single shot rifle which would be problematic to chamber for a rimless round. Ballistics not unlike a .257 Roberts.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
A very useful wildcat even today, if you're playing with a single shot rifle which would be problematic to chamber for a rimless round. Ballistics not unlike a .257 Roberts.

Yep!

A good friend (and real rifle loony) who passed away a couple years ago liked falling-block single-shots so much that he did more than one in Krag-based wildcats--even if they were Rugers that handle rimless cases well. One was a .375 Krag that I restocked for him--but he also had a .25 Krag.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recall reading an article about the 25 Krag years ago. Was it "RIFLE", or "HANDLOADER", or some other gun periodical?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It's the 25/303 Brit's cousin.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
bpas105;
Top of the morning, I hope wherever this finds you, it finds you well.

Among the long list of "rifles I shoulda/coulda but didn't" was a very much worked over Lee Enfield in .25-.303.

Someone had removed the rear socket so it was a one piece stock, which was one of the most attractive fiddle back maple chunks of lumber one could ask to see. I'll note too that I worked in the cabinet business for 27 odd years so I've looked at honest train car loads of maple, but once more I digress.

The barrel had a nice "normal" aftermarket taper, the action was smoothed up, decent bluing job and the loading charger was either removed or cleaned up so it didn't look so clunky.

It was a wonderful rifle, albeit a tad heavy and still had a modified LE trigger which was just okay, but I passed.

As I recall, buddy was selling off all the firearms from an estate and I'd already picked up all I needed and then some.

Anyways, thanks for twigging a memory from long, long ago on this frosty morning.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 22250rem
I recall reading an article about the 25 Krag years ago. Was it "RIFLE", or "HANDLOADER", or some other gun periodical?

It was one of those pubs. Have it around here somewhere. If memory serves me correctly it was built on a Siamese Mauser action and his loads were quite adventurous.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Back around 1920, give or take, A.O.Niedner initially made his .25 Krag wildcat a bit differently, requiring no sizing or seating dies. He cut the chamber extremely tightly so that a case neck expanded not at all upon discharge. The protocol was to then take the fired case and ream the neck slightly to a depth of maybe 1/4" and of a diameter to snugly hold a special jacketed bullet he swaged that sported a base band a couple/few thousandths over groove diameter (with a bore riding nose section). To load the ammunition one de and re-capped the fired case, dumped in the powder charge, then thumb seated the special bullet until it stopped on the little ledge created by the neck reamer. Done. Accounts of accuracy were glowing. The bullet couldn't help but be started straight into the rifling.

The obvious downside to the thing was horrendous chamber pressure could be induced if one strayed outside of the recommended powder charge. Remember, the case neck can't expand upon discharge because of the extremely tight chamber. That and the Royal PIA involved in prepping the brass initially, and making the bullets.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BC30cal
bpas105;
Top of the morning, I hope wherever this finds you, it finds you well.

Among the long list of "rifles I shoulda/coulda but didn't" was a very much worked over Lee Enfield in .25-.303.

Someone had removed the rear socket so it was a one piece stock, which was one of the most attractive fiddle back maple chunks of lumber one could ask to see. I'll note too that I worked in the cabinet business for 27 odd years so I've looked at honest train car loads of maple, but once more I digress.

The barrel had a nice "normal" aftermarket taper, the action was smoothed up, decent bluing job and the loading charger was either removed or cleaned up so it didn't look so clunky.

It was a wonderful rifle, albeit a tad heavy and still had a modified LE trigger which was just okay, but I passed.

As I recall, buddy was selling off all the firearms from an estate and I'd already picked up all I needed and then some.

Anyways, thanks for twigging a memory from long, long ago on this frosty morning.

All the best.

Dwayne
Thanks for your recollections, Dwayne. To be honest, I wasn't aware of the 25/303 until I found one in a box lot from a recent auction, and added it to my collection. Apparently, it was popular in Australia after the war, and used on mid-sized critters. 303 Brits were easy to come by, but they wanted something less than .30 caliber to shoot. A 1-pc fiddle backed maple stock would dress a Lee-Enfield up quite a bit.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
When I was kid I somehow got hooked up with an Australian pen pal who turned out to be a budding gun nut like me. We swapped interesting cartridges through the mail and I remember him sending me a handful of .25/303's once. Thought they looked pretty cool! I doubt it was legal to do even back in the mid-60's.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,411
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.