Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am probably gonna do an Alaska trip with the family this summer. Last time I was up there was almost 30 years ago, so it’s been quite a while.

There will be 5 people (adult/near adult aged kids). I was thinking 10-14 days total with a fly in/out of Anchorage. Maybe rent an RV and go down to Seward to do the glacier boat think. Over to Homer and maybe fish for halibut. I’d like to fish from the road system for a few days, assuming that’s doable. I’m not sure what else to do. Fairbanks? Denali? I’m kind of wide open to suggestion at this point.

The group is mixed, some love fishing and others do not fish. Physical ability ranges from very fit to not fit at all, so long group hikes/backpacking is probably out.

Any and all advice is sincerely appreciated, including best time to go (June, July, or early August are options). And yes, I know I’ll be the much maligned and stereotyped tourist. If you want to beat up on me for that, I’m fine with it.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Very few people are native alaskans. You won't have any issues. Tourists welcome. They pay the bills so to speak.

That said the best thing I can offer, order a mile post book and look through it. Will have things for everyone so you can kind of plan. It covers every mile of every road basically. And what there is to see or do along the way. Plus ads for lodging etc....

Not being planned for this summer would bother me though. Its awful late to start planning and booking some things.

Denali is not to be missed. If you don't do it I don't see a reason for AK. Its kind of the ultimate in a way. I"m lucky that I fish Talkeetna all summer and get to see it the days its out. A flight up and landing on a glacier should be a must IMHO. Weather allowing. Remember only 30 percent of folks get to see it. But its worth it.

Halibut boats lots are booked already quite full from what I've heard.

River and lake fishing can produce trout, grayling, dolly, pike, lake trout. But salmon are seasonal and you have to be right place right time and Mother Nature even

Beyond that, and its all just what folks want, and most rental vehicles forbid it, but the Denali highway across is about as rural as you can get without flying. And the haul road to Prudhoe bay even if you just cross the arctic circle and turn around. Again most if not all rentals deny you doing it.

Alaska is much more pleasant to me without the tourist numbers in the summer months, but thats generally only June, July August and part of September. And others deserve to see this great state.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We got a 4WD Ford Escape from Arctic Outfitters in Fairbanks about 3 years ago. No restrictions on roads. We went up the Dalton and lodged at Boreal Lodging in Wiseman up above Coldfoot and made forays up the Dalton and North Slope. Take what food and supplies you need, you are on your own. It might be nice to ask Ms. Heidi if she needs for you to bring her anything up from Fairbanks. No Walmart up there.

We also made a trip through the Denali Highway which is off limits to most rentals. All in all we put on about 2100 miles I think. We could not get a tour of Denali Park which was suffering the Covid-19 panic.

Travel and tourists were down that year due to Corona.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K1500-

We did basically exactly like you are talking in 2018. My wife and kids (8 and 5) at the time, my parents, my sister, and my wifes grandparents (85 and 75 at the time) flew into Anchorage, rented 2 RV's and were there for 10 days.

First few days were staying in Seward. 6 of us did a Halibut trip, caught 10 species of fish, plus an octopus. Did another day on a glacier/whale watching dinner boat (300 people served prime rib, food was 'ok', but the glacier was neat, saw tons of whales, got tons of great pictures).

Next few days were spent outside of Denali. Did the bus ride into Denali, saw bears, caribou, wolves, on the bus ride through the park, but saw them all outside of the park too.

The final few days were spent around Cooper Landing on the Kenai. Took a trip over to Homer and ate on the spit. Took a raft ride down the Kenai to watch the hundreds of bald eagles, got boring watching eagles after a while. One day dad and I got a guide and hiked up to the falls on the Russian river and flossed for salmon. Spent a couple days just hanging out around there.

It was awesome, I'd go back and do it in a heartbeat.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
We did the glacier tour out of Seward a few years ago and it was well worth the money in my opinion. Saw most of the things you'd see on an inside passage cruise, except orcas.

IC B2

K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the pics and advice. Anything additional is appreciated.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I would focus geographically so as to not spend your vacation driving. There is a lot to do on the KP in 10-14 days. McKinley park is great and the mountain is fabulous - when it’s out. You’ll have a 30% probability of seeing it, so don’t drive up that way unless sky is perfect.

Lots of hikes, lakes, in addition to Seward and Homer. I even know a guy who’s been known to lend a canoe or two to ‘fire folk.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
A copy of The Milepost is a good reco, too.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks again. Is June ok or would July/early august be better?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you want to fish for salmon July/August would be better.

IC B3

K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That’s what I thought. Same for halibut? How about weather?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My guess is that July/August would likely have better weather, but I haven't spent that much time in Alaska. What do the locals say?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
July is my favorite month for fishing. Silver salmon start showing up in July (saltwater), halibut fishing is prime, and ling cod season opens. In the rivers, the second run of reds starts near the end of the month. There are lots of opportunities for lots of different kinds fish in July, better than June, in my opinion.

The weather is still pretty decent in July, as well. August is usually pretty rainy.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I drove the Denali Highway in a rental car. Just didn't tell them. Not knowing what to expect I made sure the spare was aired up and bought a can of Fix-A-Flat just in case. Turns out it was a decent gravel road no rougher than Interstate 80. I'd do it again, beautiful country. Saw moose and caribou.

K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just ordered the milepost. Life has gotten busy but I’m thinking I’ll make it happen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’d you don’t have some things lined up by now you may be surprised .

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Morewood
I drove the Denali Highway in a rental car. Just didn't tell them. Not knowing what to expect I made sure the spare was aired up and bought a can of Fix-A-Flat just in case. Turns out it was a decent gravel road no rougher than Interstate 80. I'd do it again, beautiful country. Saw moose and caribou.
They do have GPS trackers on a lot of rentals these days. I've heard of a larger bill for violating showing up on your card later on.

I don't have to worry about it and the last time we had a rental on the haul road it was our honeymoon in 95 and no worries. LOL. We did wash the car so it went from black to white again though...

As rag horn noted if you aren't booked in some things now it may be too late. OTOH if you are a go getter Its usually possible to make it work on the fly though we had to sleep in the car a time or two due to lack of housing.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by K1500
I am probably gonna do an Alaska trip with the family this summer. Last time I was up there was almost 30 years ago, so it’s been quite a while.

There will be 5 people (adult/near adult aged kids). I was thinking 10-14 days total with a fly in/out of Anchorage. Maybe rent an RV and go down to Seward to do the glacier boat think. Over to Homer and maybe fish for halibut. I’d like to fish from the road system for a few days, assuming that’s doable. I’m not sure what else to do. Fairbanks? Denali? I’m kind of wide open to suggestion at this point.

The group is mixed, some love fishing and others do not fish. Physical ability ranges from very fit to not fit at all, so long group hikes/backpacking is probably out.

Any and all advice is sincerely appreciated, including best time to go (June, July, or early August are options). And yes, I know I’ll be the much maligned and stereotyped tourist. If you want to beat up on me for that, I’m fine with it.

I'm thinkin'

You should have reservations by now

Jan 30th

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Making nervous now…

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by K1500
Making nervous now…
All I know is we freewheeled a trip in 86 and never had any issues. Other than making sure the ferry reservation was intact for my truck from Seattle to Haines.

Thats been a few years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wife has friends from college going to show up .

they send us there itinerary from whoever did it down in the States .... I said don't sign for anything let me hook you up with some stuff to do and you won't cover the same ground twice boom they're on their way come early June they went from 975 mile trip
covering the same ground twice to 835 and not count covering twice.

Happy as hell at 1/3 the price.

Last edited by atvalaska; 02/01/24.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Hey, you should check out my family's business, Talkeetna Backcountry Adventures. Here is the link to our website, it's freshly posted and still ain't 100% finished https://www.tkabackcountryadventures.com/. Go ahead and .message us on the website or contact me right here. We can accommodate just about anything you would like to do at a affordable price point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,857 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,794
Posts18,477,352
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.