Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
What the hell are you guys doing that takes 25 mini shells to kill? If it takes that many rounds, you must work in an urban police department. Fact - If you don’t hit it in the first shot or two, you aren’t going to with 23 more.

All this is just as Jim said, a slick marketing campaign, and you fell for it!
By that argument, all we really need is a flintlock rifle. What do you need two rounds for?? In fact, what do you need rifling for? A smooth bore is more than accurate enough for 95% of hunting.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
...does anybody use the 12ga 3 1/2" buckshot ammo?

Yes that's my coyote hunting load. In my SBE2 I can still get 5-7 pellets on a paper plate at 55-60 yards.

And the best part is even in the worst of the ammo shortages, it was always in stock! I wonder why? laugh

Originally Posted by scottryan
Ignorance of the law is no excuse....

So you're agreeing with me. How often do I expect home gun inspections? Any time a gun is used and the police get involved. I have a friend who felt the same way you seem to, so he had magazines and rifles he shouldn't have for where he was living at the time. One little innocuous non event ended up leading to him doing almost 5 years in jail, losing his job, his home and his ability to ever own a firearms again.

You're just one fender bender or traffic stop away from ruining your life.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
You could buy that.........or you could save a pile of cash and use the adapter that works just fine from these guys:

Adapter
Adapters are fine for messing around at the range, but are you going to trust your life to a friggin' wad of rubber pushed up the action of your shotgun? I bought one, and it fell out under recoil.

I had a 590S for a bit, and the factory part that lets it accept those shorties seem very similar to the better aftermarket ones. Appears to me it might fall or wear out in time too. Not sure how that might affect function with standards. I futzed with it a bit, installed a rail and metal safety, shot a few rounds of clays, and bought a turkey choke and one or two others. Ultimately, I decided it was too heavy for a sporting piece, and that a more conventional short-barreled gun was a better fit for me. Never bought any short shells as they’re too expensive for what they are and the selection of standard 2 3/4” is almost limitless. Anyway, it’s gone to a new home, and I have a vintage Ithaca 37 Super Deluxe Deerslayer in its place.

I think the 500-590-88 guns are solid guns, just not very appealing.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
You could buy that.........or you could save a pile of cash and use the adapter that works just fine from these guys:

Adapter
Adapters are fine for messing around at the range, but are you going to trust your life to a friggin' wad of rubber pushed up the action of your shotgun? I bought one, and it fell out under recoil.

Why would you use a mini shell for self defense?

Tain't much different than a 2 3/4".
1" difference = less recoil and better performance at close range is what I heard.
Less recoil is a given with light loads, but there are plenty of those in 2 3/4”, at better prices. IIRC Paul Harrell tested some minis and they weren’t very impressive as I recall.

Fun? Probably.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Hahahaha

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Less recoil is a given with light loads, but there are plenty of those in 2 3/4”, at better prices. IIRC Paul Harrell tested some minis and they weren’t very impressive as I recall.

Fun? Probably.
Start watching at 6:39.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
So to get higher capacity....we use fewer pellets.

I am MAGA.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Many years ago I tried the Aguila mini slugs in my SxS slug gun hoping that they would group in pairs. No go.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Why would you use a mini shell for self defense?
The advantage of a purpose built pump gun in shorty shells is obvious. Capacity. That's a drawback for pump guns with tubular magazines, which is why so much emphasis is placed on fast reloading under fire. Increase capacity, and decrease the urgency for fast reload under fire training.
Thats why there is an AR in every vehicle and every building.

And mossberg is there too, why I have not clue, I'd rather have an extend 870. The 590 is so not smooth its unbelievable how clunky.. is what it is. But its there anyway but would always grab the AR unless the pigs are out... then that first round of buck usually takes out 2-4 pigs on the first shot.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
What the hell are you guys doing that takes 25 mini shells to kill? If it takes that many rounds, you must work in an urban police department. Fact - If you don’t hit it in the first shot or two, you aren’t going to with 23 more.

All this is just as Jim said, a slick marketing campaign, and you fell for it!
By that argument, all we really need is a flintlock rifle. What do you need two rounds for?? In fact, what do you need rifling for? A smooth bore is more than accurate enough for 95% of hunting.
Nothing like not paying attention to how current attacks go. Its more like a sounder of pigs than a single pig to deal with these days. I used to never carry a spare mag for the 1911. Then carried mags. Then went to a Glock where with 2 mags and the gun I have almost 50 rounds give or take.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I’ve got a few old single-shot 12 ga’s that are no fun to shoot with regular shells. They’re not bad with the mini shells.

Not convinced, at this point, that they’re a “reliable” alternative in pumps for self-defense/etc. However, for making a single-shot or double-barrel into a comfortable “snake gun”, I like ‘em alright.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by fburgtx
I’ve got a few old single-shot 12 ga’s that are no fun to shoot with regular shells. They’re not bad with the mini shells.

Not convinced, at this point, that they’re a “reliable” alternative in pumps for self-defense/etc. However, for making a single-shot or double-barrel into a comfortable “snake gun”, I like ‘em alright.
I've watched quite a few reviewers of the 590S put it through its paces, and none of them have been able to make it jam with the mini-shells. If there was a hint of such an issue, I assure you that I would have hard passed on it.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by fburgtx

I've watched quite a few reviewers of the 590S put it through its paces, and none of them have been able to make it jam with the mini-shells. If there was a hint of such an issue, I assure you that I would have hard passed on it.

Good to hear that they’ve got it figured out. Not enough “utility” to me, to go spend $500 on another pump shotgun, but hope you enjoy it!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This old girl cycles them fine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Your life is made up of two dates and a dash, Make the most of the dash.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Brokenarrow
This old girl cycles them fine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I've got an Ithaca 37, too. I'll give it a try with the mini shells.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Patterning and gel test from the Mossberg Shockwave,

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Got it today. Whoever here said that the part that made it compatible with shorty shells was rubber was right. It's a rubber bumper. Soft rubber, too. I can definitely see that wearing out pretty fast. Not happy. It seems solidly in place, unlike that adapter that's available that's just stuffed into the receiver, but it doesn't seem like a particularly durable piece. I could be wrong about that, though. Folks thought Glocks would wear out fast, too, when they first came out.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (222Sako, 160user, 1_deuce, 117LBS, 1lessdog, 1234, 55 invisible), 14,334 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,293
Posts18,545,243
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.