-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Made Chicken Cacciatore last night for the first time in a long time, it was delicious.

Got the recipe from Chef Jean Pierre who have an excellent YouTube, with lots of Great recipes, he is outstanding.

My pictures do not do it justice.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 01/14/24.

KB

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chicken Cacciatore was the first solid food my parents introduced to me when it was time to switch from baby food. They said I ate like a little glutton

šŸ˜

Since Iā€™m a chicken cacciatore expert from that day forward, Iā€™d say the ingredients used in his version arenā€™t what youā€™d find traditionally

Beware of Italian recipes from French chefs. šŸ˜‚

ā€œChicken Cacciatoreā€ means chicken ā€œhunterā€™s styleā€. The ingredients used are simple and what might be found in camp after a day of hunting

I guess any preparation could be called ā€œalla Cacciatoreā€, but Iā€™ve never seen calamata olives and capers used in Cacciatore. The flavors are too strong to use in the dish and take it somewhere else

We usually use carrots, onion, mushrooms and bell pepper

Fresh basil and oregano and Italian parsley

Lidiaā€™s recipe looks good and hereā€™s a hand-written recipe of my Motherā€™s

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Try this one next. Iā€™m doing it tonight

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I hear you on the French influence inserted into Italian cooking.

Your mother has great handwriting! I will try yours next and when I make it I will post the pictures.

Here is a question for you, my grandmother made the Best Rice and Raisin Pudding I ever had. She passed before I was able to ask her to write down her recipe. I remember she used a double boiler. We take some things for granted.

Do you have a Kick Ass Rice and Raisin Pudding recipe to share? I made Jean Pierre's version last night, but I did not like it at all, in fact, I am throwing it away lol

Cheers ~

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KillerBee
I hear you on the French influence inserted into Italian cooking.

Your mother has great handwriting! I will try yours next and when I make it I will post the pictures.

Here is a question for you, my grandmother made the Best Rice and Raisin Pudding I ever had. She passed before I was able to ask her to write down her recipe. I remember she used a double boiler. We take some things for granted.

Do you have a Kick Ass Rice and Raisin Pudding recipe to share? I made Jean Pierre's version last night, but I did not like it at all, in fact, I am throwing it away lol

Cheers ~

Yes I do. Itā€™s simple

Cacciatore

Hereā€™s something more along the lines of what you did. Chicken with Kalamata olives and Tomatoes

This one was really good. Lemon and Olives

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Grandmotherā€™s Rice Pudding

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
WOW!!!!!!!!!

Now that is a Chicken Cacciatore, Outstanding!!!! I'll bet it is great with Cottontail.

And I can't wait to try her Rice and Raisin Pudding, I was quite depressed AGAIN last night. Do you know what type of rice she used, it makes a big difference, from what I am learning "The Hard Way" lol

Thanks, man. I have it before and I'll say it again, you are the best cook on this forum.

Last edited by KillerBee; 01/14/24.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Regular long grain white rice

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Chicken and Sausage with Lentils

Old Fashioned Rice Pudding

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Stellar as usual man!

I tried making Old Fashioned Rice and Raisin Pudding again a different way, nothing is as good as my Grandmothers.

I was very young when she made it for us all the time, it was our #1 request. I remember her using a double boiler, other than that I do not know anything. What I would give to have her recipe!

Real pain in the azz to let a simple recipe defeat me lol. My Grandmother's was very creamy and not firm like the Old Fashioned one that I just made.

I used rum-soaked raisins, which I soaked in two full bottles of rum for a month, they were good.

I will be trying your mother's recipe next.

Last edited by KillerBee; 01/18/24.

KB

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Stellar as usual man!

I tried making Old Fashioned Rice and Raisin Pudding again a different way, nothing is as good as my Grandmothers.

I was very young when she made it for us all the time, it was our #1 request. I remember her using a double boiler, other than that I do not know anything. What I would give to have her recipe!

Real pain in the azz to let a simple recipe defeat me lol. My Grandmother's was very creamy and not firm like the Old Fashioned one that I just made.

I used rum-soaked raisins, which I soaked in two full bottles of rum for a month, they were good.

I will be trying your mother's recipe next.

Bake at 350Ā° for 1 hour and 10 minutes. It will be puffed up like the recipe says but jiggly

Recipe is hard to read as it was written by my grandmother probably 50 years ago, so if you have questions, ask me for clarification

Itā€™s a very simple recipe but if you overcook it, it will be too firm.

I plump the raisins in brandy, rum, bourbon or whatever I have

Donā€™t pack the rice into one cup measure. Loosely

After it bakes, youā€™ll have rice and raisins at the bottom, and a nice custard at the top

I just brought my 93 year old mother a bowl and she pigged out!

Last edited by rcamuglia; 01/18/24.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here is a trick for you.

If you don't want your raisins to sink, dust them in flour, that way they stay at the top.

Next time I make it I am going to bake it for only 30 minutes, I prefer it very loose and creamy. I baked the last batch at 350 for an hour, it got way too firm.

KB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (160user, 16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,637
Posts18,474,408
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.