Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by David_Walter
The Tikka UPR stock is an improvement over the CTR stock, with an adjustable cheek piece. And takes CTR bottom metal and mags. And has flush cup attachment points front and rear, left and right side.

It’ll fit any tikka barrel, CTR and Varmint.

I'd like to find one for sale.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
The Tikka UPR stock is an improvement over the CTR stock, with an adjustable cheek piece. And takes CTR bottom metal and mags. And has flush cup attachment points front and rear, left and right side.

It’ll fit any tikka barrel, CTR and Varmint.

I'd like to find one for sale.

You may be able to find a take off, but if they are as good as David says they are, that may be hard to do. I personally don't like the looks. I've handled them in the fun stores a couple times. Back when I was thinking about upgrading to the TacA1. Figured why not look at all options. If the UPR was shaped more like the A3 in the butt stock, I'd like it better, but where it's dished out, makes it look like schidt. Feels weird too.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, they don't pop up often. I think people are just buying CTRs for less and going aftermarket for a stock, so not that many take-offs around. If you're going to replace it anyway, not worth the coin for a 20 MOA rail vs 0 MOA. Those who buy UPR are likely happy enough with the factory stock.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RickinTN
Don't be shy about that 129 grain Hornady Interlock, it is a heck of a bullet.
Take care!
Rick

I don’t know why my CTR likes the 140 grain bullets better. I know not great for many but for me to shoot 5 of the 140 interlocks over IMR4350 into a single 1 inch hole at 100 is good. I just have a box of 129 SST’s I want to try with 39 grains of RL15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Tikka likes 139 Scenars and shoots to almost the same point of aim as my Fieldcraft.

Doesn’t get much better than that.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by RickinTN
Don't be shy about that 129 grain Hornady Interlock, it is a heck of a bullet.
Take care!
Rick

I don’t know why my CTR likes the 140 grain bullets better. I know not great for many but for me to shoot 5 of the 140 interlocks over IMR4350 into a single 1 inch hole at 100 is good. I just have a box of 129 SST’s I want to try with 39 grains of RL15.

I've only shot 140's and 147's in mine. But with those weights, they are not finicky at all. It even shoots the cheaper barnes match burners very well. I've shot some factory S&B 140GR soft points in the CTR, and those did pretty good, for cheap factory ammo too. I'm sure the 129gr interlock would work just fine. Only 1 way to find out.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My Tikka likes 139 Scenars and shoots to almost the same point of aim as my Fieldcraft.

Doesn’t get much better than that.

Not sure what that means? Same load, going to the same POA, in 2 different rifles? That's just a zeroing/scope adjustment. If you are saying your load works great in both rifles, that is another thing. My loads for my AR10, shoot great in my CTR's. However, the bullets have quite a jump to the lands in the CTR's. Around .090" to be exact. Yet, I can grab that ammo and take it to a competition and still do well with it. Just goes to show how non finicky the CTR's are, and how well Tikka builds their rifles.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This

“If you are saying your load works great in both rifles, that is another thing.”

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This

“If you are saying your load works great in both rifles, that is another thing.”

Ok, thanks for the clarification David. That is a great thing for sure.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am hoping that is the case. Bought a box of relatively inexpensive Hornady American Whitetail with the 129 gr Interlock. Hopefully to get it on paper and produce some brass

I agree...don't sell the Whitetail 129's short. I shot them out of my impulse buy Ruger American off a pack, hunting style at 600 and they did well enough that I might not need to gear up to reload for the Creedmoor!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Budget gun shooting budget ammo...we really do live in a good time for shooting. I think your Tikka will do fine with the Whitetails!

Last edited by ChrisF; 01/16/24.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a CTR in 308 about 6 weeks ago. I picked up a KRG Bravo chassis and put the CTR in that. I put a 20 MOA rail on it and since I am just getting into shooting out to 600 plus yards I put an Arken Optics 5-25x56 on it. Definitely budget optic but I want to see if I am any good at it and enjoy it before I put 1500-2000 dollars into an optic. The CTR shoots very well. I do reload but recently moved and still getting my [bleep] together:) So only factory ammo. It shoots 5 shots under MOA at 100 yards. I also put an AREA 419 Hellfire muzzle brake on it and it does a great job.

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I am not really planning any ultra long range shooting. Probably 450-500 at the longest for daytime coyotes but likely much closer.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by duckster
I am not really planning any ultra long range shooting. Probably 450-500 at the longest for daytime coyotes but likely much closer.

450 to 500 is cake walk for the CTR 6.5 creedmoor. I've been shooting mine, as per my club rules, without a rear support (sandbag etc.) for practice. At 400, still shooting some 3/4" groups. Yesterday, they spread out to 2 3/4" for 7 shots at 400. You'll be just fine for yotes at 500. This is 3 shots from yesterday. Shooting in cold weather and a little wind:

7 shots on the crow I painted on the yote:

Don't laugh, the crow looks like that. The first time I went to one of these shoots, I was like WTF is the crow? Oh, that is the Crow???? Ok

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
At this point, it is surely likely to be an issue of my skill level vs. any issue with gun or cartridge!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't laugh, the crow looks like that. The first time I went to one of these shoots, I was like WTF is the crow? Oh, that is the Crow???? Ok

That crow is simultaneously pulling a worm and squirting something out. I think I've seen that happen before in real life.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 45 invisible), 2,190 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,642
Posts18,493,259
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.