Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Thanks for another valuable contribution to this forum. I’m still flattered to have my very own internet stalker. Hopefully you will eventually get a life but I doubt it….

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Cowards like you are easy to keep track of. Keep jabbin' though, you're kicking asss.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Probably telling my PH in Zimbabwe that his bull of choice was in front of my bull of choice. When the dust settled he agreed.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Doves as Ingwe said

Last edited by Hoarsecock; 02/06/24.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by CAelknuts
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Originally Posted by CAelknuts
Mac, I’ll primarily be hunting Lord Derby Eland and Roan. Other game Hartebeest, Cob, Reedbuck, Oribi.
Are you taking your own rifle/s, and if so, did you need to send your passport to Brussels to get the gun permit?

Yes, I’m taking my .375 and yes I had to send my passport to Brussels for my Cameroonian Gun Permit. Gracy Travel handled that for me, as they have a fellow in Paris who takes the passport to Brussels, gets the Visa and Gun Permit and then FedExes it back. It’s not cheap but they have the process down pat. Nothing about an LDE hunt is cheap, unfortunately.
Sounds like Mathias in Paris did the gun permit and visa. LDE might be an excellent tracking hunt....and what a trophy!!

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Mine are both visual and auditory I’ll never forget.

I was hunting Sitatunga at Kasonso Busunga with Andrew in Zambia. We were in a tall machan overlooking an endless swamp, of many square miles, covered by 12 foot tall grass. Below us was what I thought was a 5 foot wide stream. When I looked down below us at the stream, there was a Leopard drinking at the stream. I saw movement upstream and it was a huge Croc slowly swimming towards the Leopard, gently moving his tale back and forth quietly, as to sneak up on the cat. The cat never noticed the Croc, but had slaked his thirst, and turned away from the stream to walk to the base of our machan. As the croc kept coming down the stream, the water exploded behind him as a Hippo breached the water right behind the croc, and pursued the reptile.

Two predator actors finally chased off by a herbivore.

I initially thought the small stream was about a foot or possibly two feet deep. Nope. The entire thing was a swamp where we were hunting, and what I thought was a stream, was just the ‘trail’ through the swamp and water vegetation parted by regular animal traffic.

The three of us slept under the stars in one man tents on the ground, off of the swamp. All night we heard the hippos grunting and a Leopard sawing. We listened as Spots killed a Hartebeest next to the tents during the night.

We tried a different machan along the swamp the next day. Andrew and I were in the two man machan, and my hunting partner was standing on the top of the steps up to the machan at my boot level as there was no more room on the platform. The machan was right next to a large anthill (termite) about the size of a school bus. After about 15 min. in the machan, my partner taps my boot. I put my binocs down and turn 180 degrees around to look at him. He is pointing to the anthill, where a black mamba is coming out of a hole in the side of it. It slithers out to the right a few feet, and then turns left 180 degrees, turns back to the right again, etc. It is still not out of the hole. He was huge. It is coming down to ground level at the base of our ladder on which my partner is standing. We are contemplating our options which we will need to execute if the snake begins the climb up the ladder…

I killed my Sitatunga the next morning at about 75-100 yds.

We hunted Buffalo the next few days, and at one point we’re walking a trail through tall 3-4’ grass, a black mamba moves ahead of me, about three feet in front and turned left into the grass. I turned right! We kept walking, following a herd of Buffalo that was always moving in front of us, because a herd of Roan between us and the Buffalo were pushing them forward beyond shooting range. We made it to a barricade of tall rocks and Andrew said we’d wait there for a bit so as to not spook the herd too much. The gov. game scout pushed Andrew back, as he saw a mamba in the tree above them. We gave up the chase there and decided to leave the mambas to their daily pursuits. Three in one day was enough.

Sounds and sights I remember and cherish.

Last edited by surefire7; 02/07/24.
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
So many sounds and scents that I remember from Africa.The sound of doves, elephants, leopard,lion,my PH speaking to the trackers in their language(shona?),the voice of the flight attendant recording on SAA(sawubona).The scent of freshly cut flowers on the table in the bed and breakfast in Harare,elephant musk, the scent of cape buff, the scent of wild fires burning in Makuti.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Three things:

1) The smell of Gemsbok fillets cooking over mopane coals;
2) The smell of a Cuban Montecristo smoked over a mopane campfire while sipping a cold Tafel Lager;
3) The sound of morning doves calling in the distance.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
-the first time you are downwind of a tracker.
-sundowners
-roller birds
-how quiet elephants walk

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The doves, sounded good the first 1/2 day, annoying for the next four, then became so much a part of the surroundings I actually had to listen to hear them.

Picturesque trees, too small and gnarled for lumber or anything but firewood, but so much a part of the landscape.

The great variety of wildlife.

Last edited by DHN; 03/08/24.

Dale

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
I immediately think of the preparation for my hunt back in 2010. Reading all the Ruark I could get my hands on. And I think of his quote about Buffalo, (I think it was his), how the Cape Buffalo looks at you like you owe him money.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The sight, sound, and flavour of thick Cape Buffalo steaks thrown on ultra-hot lava rock and seared to perfection. Maybe it was just the wonder of being outdoors in the African wilds and just being there, but those Lava Rock steaks are the best steaks I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Lots of great birds in Africa. I particularly like seeing the Rollers, both the Lilac Breasted and the Abyssinian. Also, the small Kingfishers are wonderful little gems to see back in the bush. And some of the Bee-Eaters are quite beautiful.

Hearing the lions roar at night is always special. I was once camped in the Serengeti and we had a large pride of lions coming though camp at night. There were a lot of baboons in the area and when the lions would come though they would make a terrific racket as they climbed into the trees to get away from the lions.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from cdn.pixabay.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Blood red sunset over the Kalihari. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

362 members (160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,063 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,724
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.