Years ago I bought a Rem 700 Classic in .375 H&H thinking that I would go on an African hunt with it.

Before I ever shot it, I went through a very nasty and expensive divorce. Because I had bought that rifle while we were married, she and her lawyer thought she should get it for her to use deer hunting. As far as I know, she has never even been deer hunting. The Judge ruled in my favor on that one.

So after the divorce and the possibility of an African hunt became real, I took a hard look at that rifle.

Starting with my first centerfire rifle, I've bedded and finished stocks on most of my rifles. The factory stock on that rifle was too short for my and I would have to legthen it. The wood on the factory rifle was also very plain. I also like a cheek piece on my rifles.

That rife also had iron sights. For my bolt action rifles, I like clean barrels without iron sights.

If I remember right, that rifle also had a 22" barrel, and I like 24" barrels.

I also wanted to have it rechambered to .375 H&H Improved.

So with all of those personal negatives, I ended up trading it at a gun show for a Rem 541-T .22 LR and I bought a Rem 700 SS .375 RUM that I re-stocked and ended up taking it on two African and one Alaskan hunts.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member