Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ingram, Olt, and a few others for me so far. No interest in the disposable blades

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kwg020
I see so many knifes with less than stellar steel.

kwg

We should have a thread on this topic. I have knives with better steel than the 420 HC used in the Gator. A couple of things: first, I use the gutless method on elk. I have not gutted one in 10 years. Contact time with bones is minimal - basically digging around the humerous-pelvis to cut all the tendons/ligaments holding them together, scraping the ribs when taking out the backstrap, separating the front shoulders. Fairly light duty.

Second, in almost 50 years of hunting, I've found 3 knives, all obviously related to gut piles. Nothing expensive but a Case XX, a Buck, and a Queen Steel (I'm from PA, fairly common up there). I still have 2 of the 3. I've never left a knife in the woods - but have laid them down and had to look for them. As pointed out more than 4-5" snow makes finding a dropped knife interesting. All that to say, I'd be pretty pissed if I left a $300 knife in the woods.

My other point, that cheap Gator stays sharp for its intended purpose. I have quartered 2 elk back to back with 1 knife using the gutless method, and is was still sharp enough to do a third. This past year I gutted 3 deer. Still sharp enough to do more.

All that said, the $40 Gators have been sufficient for me. I admire really nice blades but what else could a $300 knife provide?

I would be interested in a folding knife with more colorful handle with better steel and overall lighweight that is sub $100. Examples?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd add that I also don't want to take a week to get it sharp nor so brittle that i cant dig around with it a bit.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I have this Ingram and a Havalon. The Ingram sharpens very easy and will do an entire elk from start to end on a good blade. I also use the Havalon and can get an entire elk with one blade. I carry both cause I believe in the one is none mantra laugh

Oh and I had mine made orange for just the reason Bill mentioned. Dropping it, in the dark. Wanted the best chance of me finding it.

Last edited by beretzs; 01/21/24.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Brad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice ones Brad..

Semper Fi
IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Dogpopper
Hank has come a long ways on his knives. Definitely a knife worth looking at

Agreed, if looking to go custom, Hank should definitely be on the short list.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by beretzs
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I have this Ingram and a Havalon. The Ingram sharpens very easy and will do an entire elk from start to end on a good blade. I also use the Havalon and can get an entire elk with one blade. I carry both cause I believe in the one is none mantra laugh

Oh and I had mine made orange for just the reason Bill mentioned. Dropping it, in the dark. Wanted the best chance of me finding it.

I like that one and am partial to orange as well.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bwinters
Same Gerber Gator I've been carrying for 12-13-14 years. Actually I have 2 of them, hard to tell which one I'm using.

Gerber Gator

I like the folding Gerbers too, especially for backpacking.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I used a Carbon Steel Recon Tanto (7") on my first cow elk. I reamed her bung hole,
That reminded me of the time my buddt took a young man hunting. The guy kills his first deer and in the process of gutting it my buddy tells him to ream the bung hole.
He said the next thing he see’s is the guy with his fingers inside the deers ass pulling out turd. Said he nearly died
Laughing.
Anyways Kershaw Alaskan blade trader

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by bwinters
Same Gerber Gator I've been carrying for 12-13-14 years. Actually I have 2 of them, hard to tell which one I'm using.

Gerber Gator

I like the folding Gerbers too, especially for backpacking.

Yep they weight 4.4 oz w/o sheath. I've been using them or a Buck 110 before then. Same steel but weighs more.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

What is the Opinel if you don't mind ?

Looks like a #10, but I can't tell

Really nice overall

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

When I lived in Montana I had that knife on top. Was one of my all time favorites. It got better when I took it in and had the blade flat ground. No idea what ever happened to it. My next favorite was a Puma Hunters Friend I think it was called. Lost it on a hunting trip and was never able to find another. These days my favorite knives are Schrade knives with drop point's. I have a custom knife that really is beautiful but the steel is to hard. Makes sharpening take more time. Few years ago I got aa Buck sheath knife with a drop point. First Buck knife I ever saw I liked. At some point they quit making that horrible beveled edge and this in the first one I've seen. Got a Buck skinning knife several years ago as a judges gift at a field trial. Hollow ground and pretty small but beautiful job! But for a hunting knife I do prefer about 6" fixed blade knives. But them I also use several of my Schrade folders now and then also. Something that occurred to me about my Schrade knives is they are made to use. Little softer steel makes keeping the edge sharp. My Buck's and my custom were made for bragging rights, selling points. Hard steel blades and beautiful wood handles. Favorite knives still today are my Schrade's!

Last edited by DonFischer; 01/21/24.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Well I hate to be the one Luddite in this fraternity but never carried a sheath other than my sailing and rigging days so all my Elk, deer and antelope chores have been done satisfactorily with my old Boker two blade ‘ Trapper ‘ folder. Certainly not fancy just a bone handle good solid bolsters and most of all a high carbon blade. These days I carry one of those small diamond two grit sharpeners and a couple of quick swipes skinning and it’s fresh. Don’t like any of the different stainless alloy blades never as sharp. I get my Elk down the hardest part at my age is turning them over tie them off belly up with couple of stakes and some small line so I can get to work. My knife has a round tipped Spey blade which ain’t a bad skinner just a bit slow. I also carry my trusty Wyoming saw for bone. Anyway I don’t feel like I’m ill-equipped at all and I’ve had my share of ungulates.

Rick

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by Dogpopper
Hank has come a long ways on his knives. Definitely a knife worth looking at

Agreed, if looking to go custom, Hank should definitely be on the short list.
Much obliged

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ranger99

Really nice overall

It's a No.8 - I agree, it looks more like a No.10 in the photo - that's probably due to wide angle.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DonFischer
When I lived in Montana I had that knife on top. Was one of my all time favorites. It got better when I took it in and had the blade flat ground. No idea what ever happened to it.

Don, I had a Grohmann / DH Russell #1 Canadian Belt Knife from the 1960's. It was my favorite knife. My father happened to be on a trip through Pictou Nova Scotia and dropped in at the Grohmann factory. He bought the knife in the photo in the fall of 1997 and gave it to me for Christmas that year, not knowing it was already my favorite knife. I gave the old one to a friend, and have taken the bulk of the game I've shot here in Montana with that knife. I think of my dad (who turns 95 next month) every time I use it. I find it an essentially perfect knife for game. I've used other knives including small folders like the Gerber LST, but I always go back to the Grohmann. BTW, they do make it with a flat grind available.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
My three favourites.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
PF, those are absolutely ideal knives in my book.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I use the same knives for elk and deer, but haven't been hunting elk as much in recent years. These 3 have gotten a lot of use on whitetails the last couple years and I would use them on elk without hesitation.

Field dressing:

Skinning:

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Ranger99

Really nice overall

It's a No.8 - I agree, it looks more like a No.10 in the photo - that's probably due to wide angle.

Oh ok- thanks

The others are nice as well
I have several of the Russell models
and the Herters "Russell " and Cold Steel

Last edited by Ranger99; 01/21/24.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 44 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,723
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.