Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
GWPGUY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Man oh man, lots more info. I don't post to much but man oh man this place is a treasure trove of info!!!!! Thanks again peoples, GWPGUY. 🐾👣🇨🇦👍🏻

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I had a neighbor a mile and a half away who complained about my shooting. So, in the spirit of being a good neighbor, I was built a shoot through “muffler”. It was 2 barrels put together lined with fiberglass insulation. It was right in front of my bench on sawhorses so the muzzle was just inside the first barrel.
We’ll, you can imagine what happened when I touched off the first shot with a 243. The blast of fiberglass dust that blew back in my face was shocking, that was my first and last shot through the “muffler”!

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
This thread piqued my curiosity. If 'cans' are not allowed in Canada, does that mean a U.S. hunter heading to Canada to hunt can't take/use his suppressor either?

G
GWPGUY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Hmmm, not sure about that??? Maybe BC 30cal will chime in, he seems to be up on that stuff or Steve Regwell. I would say no but not certain. GWPGUY. 🐾👣🇨🇦

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
I had a neighbor a mile and a half away who complained about my shooting. So, in the spirit of being a good neighbor, I was built a shoot through “muffler”. It was 2 barrels put together lined with fiberglass insulation. It was right in front of my bench on sawhorses so the muzzle was just inside the first barrel.
We’ll, you can imagine what happened when I touched off the first shot with a 243. The blast of fiberglass dust that blew back in my face was shocking, that was my first and last shot through the “muffler”!

Don't use an old, brittle plastic drum either . . .

The resulting blast from the end of the rifle blew the top half of the drum to smithereens. I had plastic shards floating down from low-limb level, and the drum was good for the junk pile. Not only did it not work, but I had a heck of a mess to clean up.

https://www.louisianasportsman.com/hunting/shooting-tube-is-sure-to-be-famous/

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyosteve
This thread piqued my curiosity. If 'cans' are not allowed in Canada, does that mean a U.S. hunter heading to Canada to hunt can't take/use his suppressor either?

wyosteve;
Good evening to you sir, I hope you're surviving this little Siberian Express we've sent south and that you're well otherwise.

The short answer sir is sorry to say no handgun hunting or otherwise, no semi-autos with magazines more than 5 rounds in a centerfire, no AR/AK/FN-FAL variants and no mufflers of any sort.

Well that is unless you're a contract culler hired to shoot deer from a helicopter in a National Park, then everything but the handguns appears to be fine and dandy.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...gov-t-hires-foreign-hunters#Post19081739

But again sorry to say for us mere mortals, all of the above have been put into the category of "prohibited weapons" by the brain trust of Evil Minions under PM Shiny Pony.

There are many of us who are doing all we are able to to address this, but again the short version means we need a change of government as a start and then some of the upper bureaucracy need to go elsewhere too.

Hope that helped and all the best despite the less than optimal tidings delivered.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
BC30- thank you so much for the insight. I don't use a suppressor, but was just curious. I figured it was analogous to handguns, where even though they're legal here in the 'land of the free', they are verboten up by you guys. Appreciate you sending down the deep freeze. It lets me think of this obscure stuff while perched at the computer. Been a lot of years since I drove through your neck of the woods. Have friends in Quesnel. Hope it's stayed as beautiful as I remember. Again, thanks much for the valuable information!

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I’m just curious what the logic is for not allowing suppressors. Crimes are virtually never committed with one. Are they afraid someone’s going to screw it off and beat somebody with it? Inquiring minds want to know. Edk

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by wyosteve

wyosteve;
Good evening to you sir, I hope you're surviving this little Siberian Express we've sent south and that you're well otherwise.

The short answer sir is sorry to say no handgun hunting or otherwise, no semi-autos with magazines more than 5 rounds in a centerfire, no AR/AK/FN-FAL variants and no mufflers of any sort.

Well that is unless you're a contract culler hired to shoot deer from a helicopter in a National Park, then everything but the handguns appears to be fine and dandy.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...gov-t-hires-foreign-hunters#Post19081739

But again sorry to say for us mere mortals, all of the above have been put into the category of "prohibited weapons" by the brain trust of Evil Minions under PM Shiny Pony.

There are many of us who are doing all we are able to to address this, but again the short version means we need a change of government as a start and then some of the upper bureaucracy need to go elsewhere too.

Hope that helped and all the best despite the less than optimal tidings delivered.

Dwayne
I"m so sorry to read all this. Past time to drain your swamp up there. Will pray that can happen.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
ERK;
Good evening to you sir, I trust this finds you warm, well and dry tonight and that if you've been in the deep freeze as we've been that it's warming up at least a little.

As someone who has been contending with our federal government over their illogical firearms laws for more than 40 years and to clarify by contending I mean being part of pro-firearms organizations, meeting with individual politicians, writing letters, supporting court challenges, etc., I'd make the following observations.

Typically the left leaning political parties up here - Liberal, NDP, Green and the Bloc Quebecois - do not want any private individual to possess a firearm for any reason.

They've made that abundantly clear over the years and while I could write a couple paragraphs for examples, I'll just say that in the last round of banning, included in the potential list of firearms to be banned was the Weatherby Mk V, all Mauser variants, Ruger No. 1, Christensen Arms bolt action --- and well there was 400 pages of proposed banned firearms.

We, that is to say the firearms organizations up here got a massive letter writing, social media and one on one meeting with politicians campaign going and "for now" some of the list went onto the back burner.

So while I can only speculate what goes on in the mind of the crew who want us to not hunt, shoot or collect firearms for any reason, I cannot fathom them making any aspect of firearm ownership safer, so mufflers/suppressors/cans are definitely out.

Some might suggest that the government has agreed by treaty with the First Nations, Inuit and Metis folks that they have an inherent right to hunt, but I would point out to those folks that nowhere I've seen does it remotely suggest they can hunt with firearms.

I'd like to be wrong about that observation as much as I'd like to be wrong about where we're at up here, nonetheless that's how I see it.

The Conservative leader has said on many occasions, twice when I was present at a town hall type meeting - that if elected he'll scrap much of this and truly when the Conservatives were in last time they did away with the useless, costly long gun registry, so we're hopeful in that regard.

Hope that made some sense, albeit fairly depressing information when I read it back.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BR549-Junior Samples!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
only read page one...

but I've read and seen locally, where there is adapters made when you can place on the end of a threaded barrel and then put an oil filter threaded on the other end to serve as a silencer...I've seen it work at the local range by guys testing them.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

691 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 72 invisible), 3,044 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,109
Posts18,483,299
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.