A
Good girl Ruby!

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Try that with a cat.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A rib eye for Ruby!!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good doggie Ruby!
That trooper was risking his life. He went way out on the ice and he also could have fallen through.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dogs!! = Smarter than most humans.
Humans, = many treat dogs like crap and don't deserve having them.

Last edited by AZmark; 01/21/24.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Dogs generally know when their human is sick, upset, stressed, or in trouble Well, most of them. Within parameters to their nature.. 50 years observation here...

Ruby is a GOOD dog - figured chit out immediately with presumably no training in that direction. You could see the light bulb come on!

Trooper done good too.

But what was that idiot that fell through the ice doing out there? ( Hey, we couldn't get FJB out there, I suppose?)

I have a pair of self-made wood handles with nail inserts that I wear on thong around my neck most times when on ice that even might be questionable. Most all of it. ( OK- if one is standing on 5 feet of sea ice, fishing for shee fish through a 10 inch diameter hole- it's probably pretty safe.... smile ) The device could help pulli yourself up onto the ice, they say... never had the occasion, myself. Not for lack of inadvertent "close" incidents. Currents, warm springs. beaver workings, ravine run-off.. who knows?

I can't count the number of times in the Arctic I've been running across a lake (farther out from shore is generally safer) on the snow machine only to look down and see black water a couple feet way as I passed. Warm springs, probably. Couple times here on the Kenai, too.

I never stopped or slowed to investigate...... probably driving too fast ( or fast enough!) with too little fore-thought smile

I've explored over-flow areas hidden under over-coat of fresh snow out on the sea ice a few times too. That salt water ain't all that good for snow machines.

I'm luckier than I am smart, but ....whatever works!

Mainer, Jeff, and a few others would have their own tales i think.

Can't play out where the wild things live without getting your gonads potentially in the wringer, time to time.

Last edited by las; 01/21/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Wow!.

Think I've got something in my eye.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by smarquez
Try that with a cat.

This.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by las
Dogs generally know when their human is sick, upset, or in trouble and are smarter (well...most dogs) than generally given credit for.

Ruby is a GOOD dog - figured chit out immediately with presumably no training in that direction. You could see the light bulb come on!

Trooper done good too.

But what was that idiot that fell through the ice doing out there? ( Hey, we couldn't get FJB out there, I suppose?)

I have a pair of self-made wood handles with nail inserts that I wear on thong around my neck most times when on ice that even might be questionable. Most all of it. ( OK- if one is standing on 5 feet of sea ice, fishing for shee fish through a 10 inch diameter hole- it's probably pretty safe.... smile ) The device could help pulli yourself up onto the ice, they say... never had the occasion, myself. Not for lack of inadvertent "close" incidents. Currents, warm springs. beaver workings, ravine run-off.. who knows?

I can't count the number of times in the Arctic I've been running across a lake (farther out from shore is generally safer) on the snow machine only to look down and see black water a couple feet way as I passed. Warm springs, probably. Couple times here on the Kenai, too.

I never stopped or slowed to investigate...... probably driving too fast ( or fast enough!) with too little fore-thought smile

I've explored over-flow areas hidden under over-coat of fresh snow out on the sea ice a few times too. That salt water ain't all that good for snow machines.

Can't play out where the wild things live without getting your gonads potentially in the wringer, time to time.

You've had a heck of a life.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
q
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by smarquez
Try that with a cat.

This.

Well, who the heck wants a puma of whatever size bringing them a rope-a -dope?

I guess it would depend on demeanor of cat and level of desperation. smile

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Great Job!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by las
Dogs generally know when their human is sick, upset, or in trouble and are smarter (well...most dogs) than generally given credit for.

Trooper done good too.

You've had a heck of a life.

I'm not quite done being ignorant and stupid, but thanks anyway. smile. "Adventure" is fugging up or things going south. "Experience" is getting away with it... without probable cause.

Try to avoid the former.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by las

Trooper done good too.

He was out walking his dog when the dumba$$ decided to walk around on the lake. They haven't had ice out there very long, it's been a mild winter up until a week ago.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thought that looked familiar. I’ve fished there.
It’s unbelievable how many people will just walk out on ice like it’s a sidewalk. I always used a pair of ice fishing picks like las described, hung around my neck. Ice isn’t a safe place to be, it can fail you and kill you.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dear God, I love dogs. Somehow I don't think it's an accident that dog is God spelled backwards.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've had a couple of near misses on ice. My wife went to ice rescue courses each year for several years. They were full of good advice and rescue techniques. GD

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

295 members (264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 260Remguy, 29aholic, 29 invisible), 2,054 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,755
Posts18,476,345
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.