Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Your thoughts please.
Have always prefed BDL.
Never cared to Jack all the shells through the gun to empty it. Every time you empty the gun you got to jack more shells
Push a button and dump the shells in hand.
Works Everytime.

Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
“Often”, I don’t open the floor plate often, but percentage wise, when I do, it happens too often.

If your spring and follower are landing on the ground often, there may be other issues to address. That shouldn’t be happening.
My thoughts too. I can't ever remember having a spring or follower come off a floorplate on several rifle brands I've owned in BDL configuration. Heck, I'm not sure I've ever dropped a round on the ground either in 40 years of hunting with BDL rifles.

I don't care for having to run the bolt to unload, so put me in the BDL group.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My first centerfire rifle was a Herter's Model U-9 with a hinged floorplate. It was another 10 years before I bought another rifle, and then I got two Mauser Mark X rifles with hinged floorplates. I got used to them. Then another 30 years later I bought a Rem 700 ADL. I only had that rifle for a few years until I replaced it with a Rem 700 BDL, paartly because I wanted the hinged floorplate. Since then I bought another Rem 700 BDL, another Mauser with a hinged floorplate, and 3 Wby Vanguards with hinged floorplates.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Is ADL and BDL an acronym for something?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
“Often”, I don’t open the floor plate often, but percentage wise, when I do, it happens too often.
Sounds like a trip to the mechanic is in order.

Never seen this in many times of dropping a floorplate on Remington, Ruger or Winchester rifles.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Average deluxe; better deluxe.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I have plenty of both, ADL and BDL, and I prefer a blind magazine on a hunting rig.

I have a few with DBMs, as well, but I've never warmed up to them. None of my DBMs were flush fitting, so that might change things. The magazine hanging down is just awkward.

Edited to add...
Well, actually, my Ruger American Ranch has a flush BDM. I don't have any qualms with it.

Last edited by DanInAlaska; 01/23/24.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have both styles. Prefer ADL for hunting.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Average deluxe; better deluxe.

No kidding. Learning has occurred today grin

Semper Fi
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Patiently waiting for the Best Deluxe version

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
ADL for sure

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Adl with a stock designed as adl - ks, montana, ula/nula.

+1!

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I have both and for hunting I slightly prefer the BDL. At the truck, with my left hand covering the ejection port, I extract the round in the chamber with the rifle pointed up. Then I lay the rifle down on the front seat with the bolt still open and pop the floorplate to drop the cartridges that were in the magazine on the seat.

With the ADL rifles I have, I eject the chambered round with my left hand guarding the ejection port to catch it. The rounds in the magazine are then worked with the bolt only enough to pop them free of the feed rails. I’ve seen some guys work those rounds through the chamber but that’s totally unnecessary.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer hinged floorplate BDL style bottom metal to the blind magazine ADL style. I'm not a huge fan of detachable magazines in bolt actions, but have a few and they work okay. I think that the Ruger Americans would have been better if they had had a blind, staggered, magazines in lieu of the detachable rotary magazines. I've yet to have a hinged floorplate open up on me while hunting, but I can see where it could happen.

I don't find that moving from one style to another is troublesome, but whatever moves you is the way that you should go.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I have both and for hunting I slightly prefer the BDL. At the truck, with my left hand covering the ejection port, I extract the round in the chamber with the rifle pointed up. Then I lay the rifle down on the front seat with the bolt still open and pop the floorplate to drop the cartridges that were in the magazine on the seat.

With the ADL rifles I have, I eject the chambered round with my left hand guarding the ejection port to catch it. The rounds in the magazine are then worked with the bolt only enough to pop them free of the feed rails. I’ve seen some guys work those rounds through the chamber but that’s totally unnecessary.
Amazing how many cannot figure out how to easily unload a blind magazine.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Amazing how many cannot figure out how to easily unload a blind magazine.

+1.
I've been doing as described for decades.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve seen some guys work those rounds through the chamber but that’s totally unnecessary.

And then close the bolt and thoughtlessly pull the trigger……which has contributed to a lot of alleged “accidental discharges”.

It’s plumb amazing how many folks don’t know how to safely unload a blind box mag.

I use the same technique as you describe, takes a few seconds to accomplish.

If given a choice I’ll take the ADL. More simple, nicer to carry, and if the stock is designed as an ADL slightly stronger.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Based on logic, I prefer ADL. Everytime, I am in the field with an ADL-type rifle, I find myself wishing for the BDL, when unloading. A mind is a terrible thing...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I like BDL ( Oberndorf style) with winchester 3 position safety.
Seems it's much easier and safer for kids to learn as well.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have hunted with Remington 700 BDL's, as well as many other rifles with floorplates for almost 50 years, and have yet to accidently dump my shells. While I don't really care whether a rifle is an ADL or BDL style, I prefer the BDL's.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 54 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,463
Posts18,489,835
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.