-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like and own both. Good choices either one.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have hunted with Remington 700 BDL's, as well as many other rifles with floorplates for almost 50 years, and have yet to accidently dump my shells. While I don't really care whether a rifle is an ADL or BDL style, I prefer the BDL's.

What he said! ^^

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Adl with a stock designed as adl - ks, montana, ula/nula.

Good point. An ADL on a stock that is "squared off" on the bottom to handle the BDL bottom metal doesn't feel right in the hand in ADL configuration. A bunch of Manners' stocks are like this. On the other hand the stocks you mentioned are more rounded under the action and carry nicely in the hand.

Yep to both. A slim, smooth, rounded under action, blind mag stock feels best in my hand when carrying. Blind mag in such a stock is my preference in a light rifle.

I'm equal oppurtunity and use them all so I'm not arguing against BDL or DBM. Just have a preference for the specifics listed above in light rifles.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
Either. Unloading an ADL is more time consuming.

+1

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Is ADL and BDL an acronym for something?
Average deluxe; better deluxe.

They're Remington model designations. There's also a CDL, or custom deluxe.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Not a hill of beans difference in real use for hunters or woods folks, they do not dump a mag full of loaded ammo in any case. Anyone that tries the unloading trick once and gets loaded cartridges in the dirt, does not do that marketing wonder crap again. They bolt the ammo out from then on.

The magic of marketing has made the BDL style retain a higher resale value. Pretty much it's only actual claim to a factual small advantage.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I have both and for hunting I slightly prefer the BDL. At the truck, with my left hand covering the ejection port, I extract the round in the chamber with the rifle pointed up. Then I lay the rifle down on the front seat with the bolt still open and pop the floorplate to drop the cartridges that were in the magazine on the seat.

With the ADL rifles I have, I eject the chambered round with my left hand guarding the ejection port to catch it. The rounds in the magazine are then worked with the bolt only enough to pop them free of the feed rails. I’ve seen some guys work those rounds through the chamber but that’s totally unnecessary.
Amazing how many cannot figure out how to easily unload a blind magazine.

Did you read and comprehend what I wrote about unloading a blind magazine rifle. If you know a better way, let’s hear it.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I prefer the ADL.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rapier
Not a hill of beans difference in real use for hunters or woods folks, they do not dump a mag full of loaded ammo in any case. Anyone that tries the unloading trick once and gets loaded cartridges in the dirt, does not do that marketing wonder crap again. They bolt the ammo out from then on.

The magic of marketing has made the BDL style retain a higher resale value. Pretty much it's only actual claim to a factual small advantage.

I guess that by your definition, I'm not a hunter 'cause I regularly dump the loaded magazine before I eject the round that's in the chamber. I may have dropped cartridges in the dirt a time or two, but when I did so it was my fault for not paying close enough attention to the job at hand, not because the design was flawed.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Have and use both with no problems, however, I prefer BDL. I started with them. No use for DBM.

GreggH

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've used both and prefer the BDL, hunting or otherwise. Never had the bottom metal to come open accidently that I can remember and I just catch the rounds in my hand to keep them from hitting the dirt when unloading. Someone commented about the rounded bottom of a well designed ADL stock feeling better when carrying the rifle at that point but can't say I ever gave it any thought. Maybe because I also carry lever action Marlins and Winchesters.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I have both and for hunting I slightly prefer the BDL. At the truck, with my left hand covering the ejection port, I extract the round in the chamber with the rifle pointed up. Then I lay the rifle down on the front seat with the bolt still open and pop the floorplate to drop the cartridges that were in the magazine on the seat.

With the ADL rifles I have, I eject the chambered round with my left hand guarding the ejection port to catch it. The rounds in the magazine are then worked with the bolt only enough to pop them free of the feed rails. I’ve seen some guys work those rounds through the chamber but that’s totally unnecessary.
Amazing how many cannot figure out how to easily unload a blind magazine.

Did you read and comprehend what I wrote about unloading a blind magazine rifle. If you know a better way, let’s hear it.
I did and was agreeing.

But anyhow, have a nice day.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Ah….I initially read it the other way but now I understand how you meant it. My mistake. 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ah….I initially read it the other way but now I understand how you meant it. My mistake. 😊
I can see where it could be taken the opposite of how I meant it.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Every bolt action CF rifle I own is a BDL or rather a floor plate that opens. I have never in 40 years of hunting had the floor plate open unexpectedly and drop my ammo. Not once.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Someone else may have mentioned accidental mag drops, but it wasn’t me,

Just to clarify.

I may post a pic here this morning, My follower, spring and floorplate are not mechanically attached to each other in any shape or form,

Are they supposed to be? Everything just slides together.

So earlier that is why I mentioned items and shells hitting the floor when I open the floorplate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Someone else may have mentioned accidental mag drops, but it wasn’t me,

Just to clarify.

I may post a pic here this morning, My follower, spring and floorplate are not mechanically attached to each other in any shape or form,

Are they supposed to be? Everything just slides together.

So earlier that is why I mentioned items and shells hitting the floor when I open the floorplate.
Make and model?

Never seen one that wasn't all "locked" together but that doesn't mean there isn't something like that in existence.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 01/28/24.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Winchester ‘70

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The follower just slides in place, and also slides out of place……..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spring, floorplate and follower should all be slid together creating 1 piece.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 01/28/24.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (69sportfury, 17CalFan, Akhutr, 450yukon, 375sunrise, 907brass, 13 invisible), 1,554 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,526
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.