Kenneth Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Your thoughts please.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have never cared much for a floor plate. So ADL is what I would choose. Just my 5 cents…

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bearded_hillbilly
I have never cared much for a floor plate. So ADL is what I would choose. Just my 5 cents…

Do you have any ADL style rifles, are you familiar with them?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Adl with a stock designed as adl - ks, montana, ula/nula.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Is there any reason/theory why ADL would not feed has well as a BDL?

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by bearded_hillbilly

Do you have any ADL style rifles, are you familiar with them?

Absolutely, I have a Remington 700 SS, 5 NULA’s, 1 Forbes, 2 rebuilt CLR’s, a Kimber Montana, and an OutKast Arms Kimber custom.

I also own at least 4 rifles with floor plates, a pre-64 Model 70, a Ruger 77, Christensen Ridgeline, and a Weatherby MK 5.

There have been many others of both flavors as well, particularly the Kimber Montana and Mountain Ascent.

I just like the ADL style better. No worries about dropped shells and no metal plate to make your hand colder.

AKwolverine makes a very good point about stock design.

Last edited by bearded_hillbilly; 01/21/24.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Either. Unloading an ADL is more time consuming.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Good point. An ADL on a stock that is "squared off" on the bottom to handle the BDL bottom metal doesn't feel right in the hand in ADL configuration. A bunch of Manners' stocks are like this. On the other hand the stocks you mentioned are more rounded under the action and carry nicely in the hand.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters

To me, often when I open a floor plate, multiple items land on the ground, including spring and follower,

I’ve never owned a gun with ADL setup, Don’t mind BDL, just don’t see the usefulness of it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

To me, often when I open a floor plate, multiple items land on the ground, including spring and follower,

I’ve never owned a gun with ADL setup, Don’t mind BDL, just don’t see the usefulness of it.

Often?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
“Often”, I don’t open the floor plate often, but percentage wise, when I do, it happens too often.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All my rigs are ADL and that is what I started with in the 70’s. I won’t go into why they might be better as it will start the “fire”. To each their own. There are some states that don’t allow travel with ammo in the belly. If I lived in one of these states I would consider BDL for ease and speed of unloading.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Adl. Every time.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
ADL every time for a huntin' rig....at least for my stuff. I've converted several BDL stocks to ADL style. It's too bad Greyboe doesn't offer an ADL....I talked with them about it but their molds don't work for the ADL's. -Al

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I’m glad 10 round dangling dbm wasn’t an option.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Prefer ADL. Simpler and lighter. Plus, I don't care for Remington bottom metal. On other rifles I don't mind a floorplate. In fact, I've become a fan of a DBM.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
ADL vs. BDL isn't a big deal in my book.

It's easier to dry out a BDL-style rifle after it's been out in heavy rain and ADL-style rifles tend to be less expensive.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Given the choice of 2 identical rifles on the shelf, I'd nab the blind bottom every time. That said, I live and hunt in areas that allow one to leave rounds in the belly in or out of the vehicle, so, its actually pretty rare that I DON'T have rounds in the magazine during season. Meaning I don't have to empty the magazine until season is over and the rifle is headed for the safe for a while.

I've only "mag-dumped" a hinged floor-plate once. I had a dead elk that decided to un-dead itself. I had the rifle sitting on the toe of the stock and a set of bipods. When I picked up the rifle, I tripped the release button on my M70 Classic SS. In the grand scheme, the elk died for good a few seconds later but it made things more sporting than they needed to be for a quick second.

Last edited by horse1; 01/22/24.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
“Often”, I don’t open the floor plate often, but percentage wise, when I do, it happens too often.

If your spring and follower are landing on the ground often, there may be other issues to address. That shouldn’t be happening.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I don't know that I prefer one over the other. Have both. Seems my favorite riles have seldom had floor plates And I don't find them good or bad. Never had a floor plate fall open on me and never had one fall out unloading a rifle. Then again I keep one hand on the floor plate and don't allow it to fall open. I think if you just let it drop open your asking for trouble. Also if it falls open then the ammo in it all goes on the ground! I hate it if a case hits the ground! Even when I shoot an animal I use my free hand to catch the mty coming out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your thoughts please.
Have always prefed BDL.
Never cared to Jack all the shells through the gun to empty it. Every time you empty the gun you got to jack more shells
Push a button and dump the shells in hand.
Works Everytime.

Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

If your spring and follower are landing on the ground often, there may be other issues to address. That shouldn’t be happening.
My thoughts too. I can't ever remember having a spring or follower come off a floorplate on several rifle brands I've owned in BDL configuration. Heck, I'm not sure I've ever dropped a round on the ground either in 40 years of hunting with BDL rifles.

I don't care for having to run the bolt to unload, so put me in the BDL group.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My first centerfire rifle was a Herter's Model U-9 with a hinged floorplate. It was another 10 years before I bought another rifle, and then I got two Mauser Mark X rifles with hinged floorplates. I got used to them. Then another 30 years later I bought a Rem 700 ADL. I only had that rifle for a few years until I replaced it with a Rem 700 BDL, paartly because I wanted the hinged floorplate. Since then I bought another Rem 700 BDL, another Mauser with a hinged floorplate, and 3 Wby Vanguards with hinged floorplates.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Is ADL and BDL an acronym for something?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a trip to the mechanic is in order.

Never seen this in many times of dropping a floorplate on Remington, Ruger or Winchester rifles.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Average deluxe; better deluxe.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have plenty of both, ADL and BDL, and I prefer a blind magazine on a hunting rig.

I have a few with DBMs, as well, but I've never warmed up to them. None of my DBMs were flush fitting, so that might change things. The magazine hanging down is just awkward.

Edited to add...
Well, actually, my Ruger American Ranch has a flush BDM. I don't have any qualms with it.

Last edited by DanInAlaska; 01/23/24.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have both styles. Prefer ADL for hunting.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

No kidding. Learning has occurred today grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Patiently waiting for the Best Deluxe version

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
ADL for sure

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

+1!

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I have both and for hunting I slightly prefer the BDL. At the truck, with my left hand covering the ejection port, I extract the round in the chamber with the rifle pointed up. Then I lay the rifle down on the front seat with the bolt still open and pop the floorplate to drop the cartridges that were in the magazine on the seat.

With the ADL rifles I have, I eject the chambered round with my left hand guarding the ejection port to catch it. The rounds in the magazine are then worked with the bolt only enough to pop them free of the feed rails. I’ve seen some guys work those rounds through the chamber but that’s totally unnecessary.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer hinged floorplate BDL style bottom metal to the blind magazine ADL style. I'm not a huge fan of detachable magazines in bolt actions, but have a few and they work okay. I think that the Ruger Americans would have been better if they had had a blind, staggered, magazines in lieu of the detachable rotary magazines. I've yet to have a hinged floorplate open up on me while hunting, but I can see where it could happen.

I don't find that moving from one style to another is troublesome, but whatever moves you is the way that you should go.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I have both and for hunting I slightly prefer the BDL. At the truck, with my left hand covering the ejection port, I extract the round in the chamber with the rifle pointed up. Then I lay the rifle down on the front seat with the bolt still open and pop the floorplate to drop the cartridges that were in the magazine on the seat.

With the ADL rifles I have, I eject the chambered round with my left hand guarding the ejection port to catch it. The rounds in the magazine are then worked with the bolt only enough to pop them free of the feed rails. I’ve seen some guys work those rounds through the chamber but that’s totally unnecessary.
Amazing how many cannot figure out how to easily unload a blind magazine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

+1.
I've been doing as described for decades.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve seen some guys work those rounds through the chamber but that’s totally unnecessary.

And then close the bolt and thoughtlessly pull the trigger……which has contributed to a lot of alleged “accidental discharges”.

It’s plumb amazing how many folks don’t know how to safely unload a blind box mag.

I use the same technique as you describe, takes a few seconds to accomplish.

If given a choice I’ll take the ADL. More simple, nicer to carry, and if the stock is designed as an ADL slightly stronger.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Based on logic, I prefer ADL. Everytime, I am in the field with an ADL-type rifle, I find myself wishing for the BDL, when unloading. A mind is a terrible thing...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I like BDL ( Oberndorf style) with winchester 3 position safety.
Seems it's much easier and safer for kids to learn as well.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have hunted with Remington 700 BDL's, as well as many other rifles with floorplates for almost 50 years, and have yet to accidently dump my shells. While I don't really care whether a rifle is an ADL or BDL style, I prefer the BDL's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like and own both. Good choices either one.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have hunted with Remington 700 BDL's, as well as many other rifles with floorplates for almost 50 years, and have yet to accidently dump my shells. While I don't really care whether a rifle is an ADL or BDL style, I prefer the BDL's.

What he said! ^^

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Good point. An ADL on a stock that is "squared off" on the bottom to handle the BDL bottom metal doesn't feel right in the hand in ADL configuration. A bunch of Manners' stocks are like this. On the other hand the stocks you mentioned are more rounded under the action and carry nicely in the hand.

Yep to both. A slim, smooth, rounded under action, blind mag stock feels best in my hand when carrying. Blind mag in such a stock is my preference in a light rifle.

I'm equal oppurtunity and use them all so I'm not arguing against BDL or DBM. Just have a preference for the specifics listed above in light rifles.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

+1

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O

They're Remington model designations. There's also a CDL, or custom deluxe.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Not a hill of beans difference in real use for hunters or woods folks, they do not dump a mag full of loaded ammo in any case. Anyone that tries the unloading trick once and gets loaded cartridges in the dirt, does not do that marketing wonder crap again. They bolt the ammo out from then on.

The magic of marketing has made the BDL style retain a higher resale value. Pretty much it's only actual claim to a factual small advantage.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N

Did you read and comprehend what I wrote about unloading a blind magazine rifle. If you know a better way, let’s hear it.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I prefer the ADL.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rapier
Not a hill of beans difference in real use for hunters or woods folks, they do not dump a mag full of loaded ammo in any case. Anyone that tries the unloading trick once and gets loaded cartridges in the dirt, does not do that marketing wonder crap again. They bolt the ammo out from then on.

The magic of marketing has made the BDL style retain a higher resale value. Pretty much it's only actual claim to a factual small advantage.

I guess that by your definition, I'm not a hunter 'cause I regularly dump the loaded magazine before I eject the round that's in the chamber. I may have dropped cartridges in the dirt a time or two, but when I did so it was my fault for not paying close enough attention to the job at hand, not because the design was flawed.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Have and use both with no problems, however, I prefer BDL. I started with them. No use for DBM.

GreggH

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've used both and prefer the BDL, hunting or otherwise. Never had the bottom metal to come open accidently that I can remember and I just catch the rounds in my hand to keep them from hitting the dirt when unloading. Someone commented about the rounded bottom of a well designed ADL stock feeling better when carrying the rifle at that point but can't say I ever gave it any thought. Maybe because I also carry lever action Marlins and Winchesters.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Did you read and comprehend what I wrote about unloading a blind magazine rifle. If you know a better way, let’s hear it.
I did and was agreeing.

But anyhow, have a nice day.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Ah….I initially read it the other way but now I understand how you meant it. My mistake. 😊

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ah….I initially read it the other way but now I understand how you meant it. My mistake. 😊
I can see where it could be taken the opposite of how I meant it.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Every bolt action CF rifle I own is a BDL or rather a floor plate that opens. I have never in 40 years of hunting had the floor plate open unexpectedly and drop my ammo. Not once.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Someone else may have mentioned accidental mag drops, but it wasn’t me,

Just to clarify.

I may post a pic here this morning, My follower, spring and floorplate are not mechanically attached to each other in any shape or form,

Are they supposed to be? Everything just slides together.

So earlier that is why I mentioned items and shells hitting the floor when I open the floorplate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Someone else may have mentioned accidental mag drops, but it wasn’t me,

Just to clarify.

I may post a pic here this morning, My follower, spring and floorplate are not mechanically attached to each other in any shape or form,

Are they supposed to be? Everything just slides together.

So earlier that is why I mentioned items and shells hitting the floor when I open the floorplate.
Make and model?

Never seen one that wasn't all "locked" together but that doesn't mean there isn't something like that in existence.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 01/28/24.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Winchester ‘70

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The follower just slides in place, and also slides out of place……..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spring, floorplate and follower should all be slid together creating 1 piece.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Yes, just seems to slide ‘out’ way to easily.

Again, why I rarely use the floorplate

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've used both, but prefer the BDL overall. The "worst" model is any of Remington's "Detachable Magazine", ruins how the bottom of receiver feels in my hand. Thats just me, my Afrikaner buddy likes them alot....but he is kinda strange anyhow, ha.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I've used both, but prefer the BDL overall. The "worst" model is any of Remington's "Detachable Magazine", ruins how the bottom of receiver feels in my hand. Thats just me, my Afrikaner buddy likes them alot....but he is kinda strange anyhow, ha.

Same thoughts on Tikkas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yes, just seems to slide ‘out’ way to easily.

Again, why I rarely use the floorplate
Should be locked together.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Yep. If you look closely at Kenneth’s second photo, you can see the lips on the follower and the floor plate that keep the follower, the spring and the floor plate together.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
On the end of the magazine spring that goes into the follower put it in a vise or pliers will do.. The last 1/4'' or is what you're grabbing.. Then bend it up slightly. When you reinstall this modified spring in the floor plate the bent spring will hold the floor plate in place ..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ADLs can be touch if you have a jam, you may need to remove the stock to work it out. I like BDLs on fine hunting rifles, like Win 70s, but lately I've gone Hunter DBM flush fit on my rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

That's how the factory made them. The mag box is a snap fit into the cut in the receiver. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Neither...............I much prefer the wood on the CDL.
https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=remington%20700%20cdl&Sort=13

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Your thoughts please.

BDL is fine when it works right. My last 2 Remington 700s in somewhat sporty recoiling cartridges (last was a .300 win mag, I forget what the other was .. could have been 7mm rem mag) would dump the magazine under recoil. My current hunting bolt action is a Kimber mountain ascent .. adl setup. I haven't had any issues with Win 70s .. might be the best o' the bunch. I like the BDL setup in lighter recoiling cartridges especially the .223 family 'cause when I'm shooting varmints every other shot I can just flip the rifle on its back, pop the latch, add 2 more cartridges, close it up, and not have to cycle the bolt.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 257Bob
ADLs can be touch if you have a jam, you may need to remove the stock to work it out. I like BDLs on fine hunting rifles, like Win 70s, but lately I've gone Hunter DBM flush fit on my rifles.
For utility it’s hard to beat a DBM. For carrying through the mountains it’s hard to beat a blind magazine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only have one ADL rest all BDL, they are easier to unload/dump ammo, never had any open under recoil yet.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
To much whining going on here. Like them all especially c prefix and older with walker triggers and pressed checkering never had a problem. .mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have zero issue with either owning a number of both.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Have both, like both.
If I could have only one, ADL.

NRA Patron
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,603
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.