Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Dragged an older Savage Mod. 12 .223 Varmint out of the safe that's been neglected by work and other guns for around 15 years. Ready to start trying out some loads. I have H335 and Benchmark so that's a start. It's my first endeavor into the .223 world and this gun is a 1-9 twist. So question is what are my minimum and maximum grain bullets with this barrel twist. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Btw this will mainly be for occasional varmints and playing at the range. And this gun is pre 2003 build as it does not have Accu-trigger

Life is to short eat desert first
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Use bullets from 68 and 69 grains on down, and they will shoot just fine...the 70SMP Speer is an exception. a 1 in 14 works with it...

I'd use the Benchmark.. I've had real good luck with it in about anything I use in it... I like it a lot in my 6 x 45s.

H335, I hate that powder. With a Bread and Butter 25 grain load, with a 55 grain bullet, I've had them blow up a rifle twice.
Anything else seems to work just great in a 223, so its just ONE powder, I just bypass.. in any cartridge.

With 68 grain Hornadys, I've experienced good hits with those bullets out to 400 yds pretty consistently fueled with Benchmark.

Depending on the altitude you shoot at... the 73 ELD bullets the 75 BTHP, and 80 gr AMax and ELDs MIGHT shoot well or not... with a 1 in 9 twist... with a 1 in 8 twist, THEY ALL Shoot real well...

best of luck on your project.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Berger Twist Rate Stability Calculator @ https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Another twist stability calculator is here:

https://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml

The nice things about jbm is there is an extensive list of bullet lengths at the site and you have the capability to include the length of the plastic tip in the equation.

As to what bullets, it is hard to disagree anything Seafire wrote, but I'll add that IME and at my altitude there is a real "sweet spot" in the 64-69 gr range with my favorite deer bullet being the Sierra 65 Pro Hunter, rifle just loves them. I'll also add that the Sierra 77 TMK stabilizes and kills rather well also.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Many thanks guys!!!

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Phone says I'm at 587.7 ft. altitude

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Butch257
Dragged an older Savage Mod. 12 .223 Varmint out of the safe that's been neglected by work and other guns for around 15 years. Ready to start trying out some loads. I have H335 and Benchmark so that's a start. It's my first endeavor into the .223 world and this gun is a 1-9 twist. So question is what are my minimum and maximum grain bullets with this barrel twist. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Btw this will mainly be for occasional varmints and playing at the range. And this gun is pre 2003 build as it does not have Accu-trigger

Forget EVERYTHING about bullet "weight" and instead concentrate solely on projectile LENGTH. Hint.

Firstly,you'll connect dots by default,by measuring the ACTUAL twist rate of said rifle. Ideally,it's a true 1-9" or better yet faster. Measure to the Gnat's Ass. Hint.

A true 1-9" will make round holes,with any/all projectiles 1.00" or less,in my atmosphere(your's is more forgiving). That means Winter,at Low Tide. Hint.

The Hornie 75gr HPBT,is a nice/easy threshold at .980" length. They are ruggedly reliable,wickedly accurate and VERY fhuqking forgiving. 12's are configured in numerous fashions,regarding feed/function mechanisms,but as a rule one can coax COAL to arrange magfed Smooches of same. Hint.

Lever' will keep them Supersonic to 1000yds+. Hint.

Just sayin'..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
It should be a 1-9 twist

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had very good 100 yard accuracy with the lower priced 60 gr. Hornady SPs and close to max 24 gr. and max 24.4 of Tac, per the Western Powders manual, in a 1-9 Savage Axis.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
It is a 1-9 twist. I measured it

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tried the sporter/skinny barrel 1-9 Axis this afternoon, no wind, at 100 yards with Hornady 68 gr Match bullets for the first time Used Tac powder. Western's starting load of 21.3 gr got me a three shot group of .339, 22.5 gr of Tac, with three shots was .676. Ran out of time. I'll try them up to Max loads with Tac and then see about the 75 Hornadys Stick's recommending. These 1-9, 223 Savages shoot pretty good.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Tried the sporter/skinny barrel 1-9 Axis this afternoon, no wind, at 100 yards with Hornady 68 gr Match bullets for the first time Used Tac powder. Western's starting load of 21.3 gr got me a three shot group of .339, 22.5 gr of Tac, with three shots was .676. Ran out of time. I'll try them up to Max loads with Tac and then see about the 75 Hornadys Stick's recommending. These 1-9, 223 Savages shoot pretty good.

I shoot 65gr sierra gamekings in my axis and get groups in .3 and .4 with varget 27.1grs. Bought 2 of 50 round boxes of Winchester 40gr hp at Dicks when they were selling the gun inventory at 50 percent off for the brass, boy these things are scary accurate (bugholes) wish I would of bought more.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
steveredd1

That's my story for sure. Always a day late and a dollar short.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Stumpy is definitely correct, regarding the 75 gr BTHP from Hornady. You have a one in 9 twist it will definitely stabilize that bullet easily, and it will certainly reach wAAAAy out there.... That and the 68 grain version from Hornady also, are two bullets that are definitely overlooked by most shooters. Even a Blind Hog will find an acorn once in a while... same with a drunk cross eyed midget... Hint.

The best three bullets I've personally used in the 223, with a 1 in 8 or 1 in 9 twist for ACCURACY, have been the 68 and 75 grain BTHP, and the 80 grain A Max....they are even more of a good thing in my Ruger 77 Mk 2 in 22.250 with a 1 in 7 twist.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shefire is a Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqk,who just "happens" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit to boot. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Amidship,with and without can-of-lure,is the Hornie 75 BTHP length threshold. Hint.

Just sayin'.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
ya know Stumpy, I threw your name in that post last night Just to see how fast it would take you to find it, so you could respond to it...Might have taken 8 hours, but evidently you are up and over your morning hang over... and right on que, there is your usual cut and paste response. Along with another one of your small selection of pictures we've all seen a million times....from your cut and paste file.

So prove me wrong here Stumpy.... Admit when you get on the campfire, the first thing you do a search for is your name... and then you check each thread that your search comes up with, so you can respond to it. The attention fills your little heart with self admiration, then you go to your file on each member who posted using your name.. make a select of any post they have made mentioning your name.. cut and paste.. throw in some pictures you are so proud of, you've shown a million times...along with some witty response you've used a million times also...

such as : Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqk,who just "happens" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit to boot. Hint.

So, you're welcome Stumpy... I am sure the mention of your name filled your heart with admiration for yourself, that your name was mentioned.... Kind Like Steve Martin in the Jerk... when he comes out rejoicing... the new phone book is here... and my name is in the new phone book! Millions of people will read this every day, and on this day they will see my name! on page BlahBlahBlah....

Have a nice day and don't forget to change your diaper before going into town to the bar to get drunk, before you go over to your back 40 so you can break an egg, and then claim you shot it at a 1000 yds, with your new Scope and Rifle D'Jour.

We all know it ain't easy being Schtick... but at least you'll survive thinking someone is actually envious of you and your dull boring life in the middle of Buttfudk Alaska... you go girl...

and you're welcome for the present of mentioning your name once again, so you can respond and pretend you are someone the world just can't live without.... you Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqk,who just "happens" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit to boot. Hint.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shefire,

No need to extoll your countless very WELL founded Insecurities,prove that you are a Drooling CLUELESS Brokedick Fhuqk and just "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit to boot...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination,Pretend and Homo Erotic Fantasies are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

1-9" 223 launched 75 BTHP here and pardon my simply shooting it all and then some,as you Pretend aloud with your GoogleFu. Hint.

Just sayin'.....................

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
you are ignoring the little ignorant idiot's post above.

nothing kicks him in the nuts worse than that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You Manic Brokedick Lying CLUELESS Piece Of Fhuqking Schit,can't even keep your Imaginary Pretend Ignore sorted...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

1-9" 223 75gr BTHP Hornie. Hint.

Pardon the reality,of wares that exist. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
store clerk: Can I help you?
Yes, need some .224 cal. 1.0123 length bullets, and give some of those 22 LR that shoot a mile and a half.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I rather like Long Range Rimfire and barely have 12+ rifles configured for 700yd+ pursuits. Hint.

Projectile length,is that which determines RPM sanctity and such things are easily segregated. As cited,the JBM Length Library will reliably pinpoint projectiles suited to same,though I realize none of you Dumb Fhuqkers actually fhuqking shoot. Hint..................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Butch 257, correction on my post re Western Powders, starting load of Tac for the Hornady 68 gr BTHP Match is 22 gr not 21.3 as I listed. 21.3 is the starting load for this bullet with their X-Terminator powder.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 01/29/24.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
When you are 4 ft 13 inches tall, and weigh 270 lbs, and cross eyed....and from Alaska

What most of us call 75 yds, in your brain that is 700 yds. Same reason a one inch dick is 12 inches to them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm VERY "surprised" that a CLUELESS Whining Brokedick Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit,can only offer her Homo Erotic Fantasies,as first hand experiences go. Hint.

Now as Long Range Rimfire goes,Bob did me a solid with a Special Run of 75 MOA '54 rails. 700yds is typically a 50 Mil correction,from a 50yd zero at Low Tide. Hint.

Pardon the reality,of wares that exist. Hint.................

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Sorry didn't mean to start a skirmish. So here goes again. Does anyone like or dislike BL-C(2) with 53-60 gr V Max in Bolt .223 ???
Thanks for any constructive comments.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
BLC 2 is a great powder in the 223, with about any bullet weight.

About anything works well in a 223, but BLC 2 is one of the better ones. I highly prefer it over H 335, which I won't use.
W748 is another great one.

I have used a lot of different powders in the 223, and have had real good luck with most of them.

you can use BLC 2 with confidence.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What do you do if you're feeling depressed when living in Buttfudk Alaska, at the trailer park...

You get yourself a beer, a line of coke and turn on the CD player and listen to the song that was written all about YOU
( at least in your mind.. )

and listen to it over and over, crying in happiness, at least until you pass out, face first in dog crap again.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm VERY "surprised" to learn of the HomoErotic Fascinations of a Brokedick CLUELESS Whining bed Pan Polisher,who just "happens" to be a Lying a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit. Hint.

Pardon the reality,of wares that exist. 223AI/75 here. Hint.

Keep the Hurt Feeler Reports,countless Insecurities and vicarious "living" rolling...not that you have a different "move" available to you. Hint.

Hide your Boy Scouts from Shefire. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Seafire
Thank you

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
yer welcome Butch.. happy to help and good luck my friend with your project. smile

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Funny that I found this thread. I have a Savage 12 FV . in .223 Rem. I did not shoot it for several years. Deciding to take it out last week, I shot a .7 , .48 and a .55.? I was surprised. It was some old reloads of 55 gr. Horny H 335 and loaded 7 yrs. ago... I go back and I could barely get 1" groups. Same loads, same everything except more coffee in me seems to make me flinch. It can be super accurate , many times putting 4 in a hole , then the flier to mess up the group... I have Varget I got somewhere. The price Says $29.00 lb. on it. I will use the Varget / 68 gr. Horny match bullets . My shooting was only off a stack of 2x4's and a pad so I can do better. I see the Speer 55 gr. at Grafs is only $12.40 /100. Anyone shoot this bullet?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
ihookem

Like your signature. Well done

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Butch257
ihookem

Like your signature. Well done

Thanks Butch,, and if I ever not live up to it with my posts , just remind me so, cause Iron sharpens iron.

Last edited by ihookem; 02/03/24.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,082
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.