Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by UltraMAGA
9 shots and a threaded muzzle w/what looks like a "heavy" barrel.
A stainless version of the 94 Black shadow with a less flexible cartridge.
This had to have been concocted by the "I'd love to have a rifle in the same cartridge as my sidearm" crowd. That way you could carry twice as much weight and still be limited in range. FFS

That is a point.

Haha!
if you can't sneak up on them to within range of a 44 mag out of a long gun???

Will it handle Specials too?

Yes, but one of the early testers had some feed issues with one of the batches of specials that had a short OAL.
thanks Paul, as I am considering a Special revolver this summer

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Seems like it would be fun to dink around with but I don't get the pistol cartridge in a lever gun concept.

The plain old .30-30 covers that ground, and more.
Thankfully, the 30-30 will never go away. But, I'm liking the concept of pistol cartridges in a lever action. Very traditional and the anti gunners seem to be leaving them alone. I realize the S&W may not be everyone's first choice but a lever action has been re-gaining that "cool factor" it had 100 years ago. I see no downside.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That thing looks more Henry than Marlin.

Insane MSRP

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by JeffyD
If S&W wants to lure me back into their fold, they'll have to make the hillary hole disappear from their wheel guns.
Haven't bought a S&W since the mid 90's.

Lots of hole-less used ones out there.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I saw this model this morning and have some mixed feelings about it. I am all about the stainless utility of it. Not crazy at all about the stock. Have no idea what "accessories" your going to be MLOK mounting on a hunting rig. And a 44 mag for a HD carbine is just silly. I have both a Stainless JM Marlin 1894 and a Henry Big Boy, both in .44 mag. Just looking at this I would put this above the Big Boy but don't see it replacing my 1894 anytime soon.

It would be nice if they offered it up in both .357 and .45LC. Waiting for Ruger/Marlin to do that with the new 1894s. Time will tell if it sticks. Hope it does, with more lever gun options out there on the market maybe we'll see the prices of them come down a bit.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I watched the Honest Outlaw review and one from sootch00. I don't really care for the latter as a presenter but giving credit where due he does do a more thorough review than most.

Obviously it's a Marlin 336 through and through but with some interesting variations. The magazine comes completely out, it's not a tube within a tube, when you release the knob at the end the whole magazine comes out. It's not made for loading and unloading, just unloading. At around 11:25 he does that with a fully loaded mag and the whole thing flies out and off camera. Oops.

The screws are all allen head which is certainly practical if not traditional, but then this rifle isn't following tradition too much.

At 13:25 he fires a five round group at 25 yards using the factory peep sights - really not impressive for 25 yards, or else he can't shoot peep sights worth beans.

Trigger pull on his example came in about 3 1/4 pounds, not too shabby for a hunting rig.

Nobody mentions if the loading port will slice your finger open but I didn't see any blood, so who knows.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm glad to see S&W doing this. It's always good to see the gun companies expanding their horizons.
That said, this rifle doesn't appeal to my tastes in a lever gun. Personally, I'd rather not have the big lever loop, the pik rail, the threaded muzzle or the attachment points. I like stainless steel, but would prefer a black finish over it. Also would prefer straight-grained walnut over plastic furniture. .500 S&W would interest me way more than .44 magnum and I would prefer .30-30 to either. All the same, if they made it in .25-20 I'd grab one, but I'm not holding my breath for that.

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In all honesty the Rossi stainless Trapper based on the Winchester 92 action would be my choice. Considered by many to be the strongest and fastest cycling SA revolver carbine. They have wood and laminated gray. On a 44 Mag stainless Trapper I wouldn’t care or need telescopic sights for my purposes so that’s not a consideration on a 16” carry carbine.

The Rossi is around $675 or about half the cost of this S&W cross between a Marlin and a Henry. For that kind of money you could slick out the Rossi to be impressive for the purpose intended, which is wilderness protection with a Trapper platform.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Since they chose to copy the Marlin action, .44 Mag is the most potent round they’ll ever bring out. The action ain’t strong enough for anything more.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by smokepole
Seems like it would be fun to dink around with but I don't get the pistol cartridge in a lever gun concept.

The plain old .30-30 covers that ground, and more.
Thankfully, the 30-30 will never go away. But, I'm liking the concept of pistol cartridges in a lever action. Very traditional and the anti gunners seem to be leaving them alone. I realize the S&W may not be everyone's first choice but a lever action has been re-gaining that "cool factor" it had 100 years ago. I see no downside.

kwg

Absolutely no downside for some uses and looks like it would be fun. Just not sure I'd use one a lot if I owned one.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I like it!

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SargeMO
That thing looks more Henry than Marlin.

Insane MSRP

MSRP is $130 less than the hideous non-stainless Marlin Dark.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Looks heavy and clunky. If I wanted a .44 mag lever rifle I'd chase down a Browning B92.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
So now they gotta compete with Ruger/Marlin. And Rossi. And Henry. And 50 years of used rifles.

What they COULD have done, was produced a PUMP gun (ala the IMI Timberwolf), and they would have had virtually NO competition, a “faster” gun, and…..

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Might be a good marketing move for S&W, time will tell.
Leverguns are very popular still and straight-wall hunting regs in some states increase the market.
44Mag ? The new Marlins and the Henrys don't stay on the shelves for long. Try to find a new model 357, 44 or 45-70
That's probably a safe choice for the roll-out. Enough power for a deer gun and plenty for HD.
The modern furniture and accouterments ?
I'm not a fan but their marketing people must have determined that the new buyers want it.
The wood furniture model is too much money. I'd be looking at a Big Horn 460 for that kind of money.
The reviewer said that 357Mag and 45LC were mentioned in the manual, so they're probably next.

A 45-70 and a lower price-point wood furniture model would round out the line-up nicely.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fburgtx
So now they gotta compete with Ruger/Marlin. And Rossi. And Henry. And 50 years of used rifles.

What they COULD have done, was produced a PUMP gun (ala the IMI Timberwolf), and they would have had virtually NO competition, a “faster” gun, and…..

Like!!!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Should have been 45 Colt.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Make it in 500 smith and Im in 100%

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by fburgtx

+1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UltraMAGA
9 shots and a threaded muzzle w/what looks like a "heavy" barrel.
A stainless version of the 94 Black shadow with a less flexible cartridge.
This had to have been concocted by the "I'd love to have a rifle in the same cartridge as my sidearm" crowd. That way you could carry twice as much weight and still be limited in range. FFS

Count me among the "companion arm" freaks.
"MY" problem is .... I want the rifle in .41 Rem Mag instead of .44 Rem Mag.
Marlin built a few .41 Mag lever guns. They ARE pricey and difficult to locate!
Oh well! LOL!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

472 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 41 invisible), 2,135 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,578
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.