Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Remember Arem Von Benedikt's famous miss? I suspect that is much more common among long range hunters than reading about long range hunting on the internet reveals. Reading over on Rokslide, a lot of folks go for lighter recoiling rifles so that they can spot their misses. If they are missing enough that they need to be able to spot their misses, there's obviously going to be some bad hits too.

I admire folks who have developed a mastery of long range shooting and hunting. It definitely takes work. There's no doubt though that there are a lot more people who are much better on the internet or at the range that they are afield.

Lighter-recoiling rounds, muzzle brakes, and heavier rifles help in spotting all of your shots, not just misses

Spotting all of your shots is critical to rifle shooting, whether Long or shorter ranges, either for confirming you called wind properly and made a center hit or confirming otherwise. If the impact can be observed, a correction can be made by quickly measuring with your reticle and adjusting hold for a follow up round

All good rifle shooters concentrate on controlling recoil and spotting their shots. You can’t be good otherwise

Gotcha, and thanks. I am ignorant on the whole long range game, and am not sure how I would use spotting while shooting at a target or a deer at 100 yards, since I do typically hit what I am shooting at, at that extreme distance. lol.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

We pack em off piece by piece.

Missed this when you first posted it, Scotty. That pack in front's gotta be pushing 80 - 100lbs, brother! Type-two fun +P!

It certainly felt all of that grin

Are you packing 2 full rear elk quarters in that load? That outer meat bag kind of looks like a front, but it is difficult to tell.

Since this thread is off the rails, has been to begin with and was made with doing so in mind, I may as well join in with my first 'long' range kill. 558 yards or something like that. While I would have preferred to get closer, it was do or die, and I made it happen. It was a pretty good feeling of accomplishment.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by T_Inman; 01/07/24.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Shooting at long range without a spotter is tough duty. Hunting a power line or gas line right a way with thick woods on both sides it's a challenge by yourself. First off you need to know where the animal was standing when you shot (which can be difficult) and know if you hit the animal and where it entered the woods, if you screwed the shot up and ran off. Hunting in elk in the snow was ideal and I probably should of shot a elk at 840yds just for bragging. But getting 200+yds closer was easy and a no brainier.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remember Arem Von Benedikt's famous miss? I suspect that is much more common among long range hunters than reading about long range hunting on the internet reveals. Reading over on Rokslide, a lot of folks go for lighter recoiling rifles so that they can spot their misses. If they are missing enough that they need to be able to spot their misses, there's obviously going to be some bad hits too.

I admire folks who have developed a mastery of long range shooting and hunting. It definitely takes work. There's no doubt though that there are a lot more people who are much better on the internet or at the range that they are afield.

Lighter-recoiling rounds, muzzle brakes, and heavier rifles help in spotting all of your shots, not just misses

Spotting all of your shots is critical to rifle shooting, whether Long or shorter ranges, either for confirming you called wind properly and made a center hit or confirming otherwise. If the impact can be observed, a correction can be made by quickly measuring with your reticle and adjusting hold for a follow up round

All good rifle shooters concentrate on controlling recoil and spotting their shots. You can’t be good otherwise

Gotcha, and thanks. I am ignorant on the whole long range game, and am not sure how I would use spotting while shooting at a target or a deer at 100 yards, since I do typically hit what I am shooting at, at that extreme distance. lol.

Yeah, it applies out a bit further

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

A good example would be shooting a .22LR at 100 yards. You’re gonna see your impact through the scope and either stay with that hold if the shot was on target or adjust after spotting the miss

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[quote=PaulBarnard][quote=rcamuglia][quote=PaulBarnard]Remember Arem Von Benedikt's famous miss? I suspect that is much more common among long range hunters than reading about long range hunting on the internet reveals. Reading over on Rokslide, a lot of folks go for lighter recoiling rifles so that they can spot their misses. If they are missing enough that they need to be able to spot their misses, there's obviously going to be some bad hits too.

A good example would be shooting a .22LR at 100 yards. You’re gonna see your impact through the scope and either stay with that hold if the shot was on target or adjust after spotting the miss

I had my Bushmaster Predator .223 zeroed +1"@100 on a Prairie Dog shoot one year. I killed many out to 300-350 by "Adjusting Elevation". Then one poor, unlucky cottontail right at 405 yards sat still long enough for me hit him on the Third shot via walking it in. I could see everything on 12X.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 01/07/24.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Missed this when you first posted it, Scotty. That pack in front's gotta be pushing 80 - 100lbs, brother! Type-two fun +P!

Are you packing 2 full rear elk quarters in that load? That outer meat bag kind of looks like a front, but it is difficult to tell.

Since this thread is off the rails, has been to begin with and was made with doing so in mind, I may as well join in with my first 'long' range kill. 558 yards or something like that. While I would have preferred to get closer, it was do or die, and I made it happen. It was a pretty good feeling of accomplishment.

I can’t remember. It was either two rears or a rear and front.

And nice shooting on the goat Ted. 550 ain’t nothing to sneer at in my book.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I can’t remember. It was either two rears or a rear and front.

And nice shooting on the goat Ted. 550 ain’t nothing to sneer at in my book.

Even just a bone in front and a rear in a single trip can be quite a load on a decent sized bull, especially with all your other gear in the pack too.

Luvn' it....keep on keeping on...

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I enjoy seeing how wrong all of you are..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The Long Range Shooting Forum

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B3

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 61 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,961
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.