Print Thread
Hop To
T
Torque Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I am building an 8.5 x 63 Reb and decided to keep it German by using a Mauser type action of some kind and a Lothar Walther barrel. I own an ARC Mausingfield in 6.5x55 and it is an excellent action, but pricey. During a conversation a while back, I believe that my local gunsmith, who likes Mauser actions, said that they have a flaw in action screw placement that can cause uneven pressure along the action. Are there versions of the Mauser action that have a corrected action screw locations or should I suck it up and buy another Mausingfield? I would prefer a model that doesn't use the top wing safety. Thank you, in advance, for any advice.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
IMHO, as much as I love Mauser actions generally (in process of building a custom .30-06 on a Argy 1909 action) you would be money ahead by a long way by getting another ARC. Even with careful shopping, it's pretty hard to find a decent Mauser action or rifle suitable for conversion for much under $600. Add the time/money for a competent smith to correct any issues, drill/tap for mounts, potentially re-heat treat if the front face needed to be trued beyond the case hardening etc and you're in it for a LOT more than an ARC which is a simple fit up with a new barrel. You'll need a new trigger and, if you're like me and prefer the 3 position type safety, you're at around $450 just for those two items. I realize the heart wants what it wants but the ARC seems to be the much better solution. Good luck with the new build!

T
Torque Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by the_gman
IMHO, as much as I love Mauser actions generally (in process of building a custom .30-06 on a Argy 1909 action) you would be money ahead by a long way by getting another ARC. Even with careful shopping, it's pretty hard to find a decent Mauser action or rifle suitable for conversion for much under $600. Add the time/money for a competent smith to correct any issues, drill/tap for mounts, potentially re-heat treat if the front face needed to be trued beyond the case hardening etc and you're in it for a LOT more than an ARC which is a simple fit up with a new barrel. You'll need a new trigger and, if you're like me and prefer the 3 position type safety, you're at around $450 just for those two items. I realize the heart wants what it wants but the ARC seems to be the much better solution. Good luck with the new build!

Thank you, sir. I appreciate the response. I believe you are most probably correct.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You could circumvent the heat treat concerns by starting with a Zastava commercial action. Action choice really comes down to your expectations.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by z1r
You could circumvent the heat treat concerns by starting with a Zastava commercial action. Action choice really comes down to your expectations.

I agree whole heartedly with this.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your smith is correct about the screw hole, yet somehow we manage to get by with them anyway. Even my Howas have that “problem”, but I still use them without issue.

IME, prices on ordinary Zastavas are right up there with FNs these days. Either would suit me for a build.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Zastava's can easily be slicked up............

Or find a Mark X on a junker to get the action as a donor.

If I remember correctly the Remington 798' were also Zastavas if you can find one of them for a reasonable price.

MM

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I think there are a lot of good rifles out there who show normal service use wear with stocks taking the beating and no longer "pretty". Add hardened recoil pads. The net of non-lookers that offer real value as you seek merely an action. I'd haunt the WTS boards of various gun Forums and put up my own WTB ad being frankly honest about a net "action" in keep the stock & ship the metal context! Also the side note of any action conjured, likely far better 'if' real steel versus alloy bottom metal.
I do fully concur with the desirability of not reinventing the $$$ wheel in sporterizing a military mauser action with costs involved! Same context ad seeking! Pick up one of the many FN Supreme action common sporters with trigger impinging sliding tang adjacent type safety!

As far as the 'exotic' ARC action, my naivete perhaps, but checking out the website below... What a load of 'hype'. That as my central question of the metal used, to me more revealing in lack of specificity. Literally so generalized in such centrally quality-critical context, a Springfield trapdoor could fit such vague specs! The only thing that action appears to do well is fit the definition of "Gismo"! Give me a pre ''64 Model 70 with its receiver, barrel & bolt of 4130 chrome moly steel. Such as basis to be worked up from there!

https://americanrifle.odoo.com/shop/mausingfield-bolt-action-2#attr=196,182,276,262,248

Good luck with your project!
Best!
John

T
Torque Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Your smith is correct about the screw hole, yet somehow we manage to get by with them anyway. Even my Howas have that “problem”, but I still use them without issue.

IME, prices on ordinary Zastavas are right up there with FNs these days. Either would suit me for a build.

Thank you for the reply. I catch your drift and agree with what you're implying. They have to be terrific actions or we wouldn't still be using them. I was inquiring out of ignorance. I would assume it would be something a competent gunsmith would have no problem over coming.

I have found both a VZ 24 and a G33 for sale, reasonably priced. Both have wing safeties. Is this safety able to be replaced with a conventional slide safety type, or is that a bad idea?

George Orwell
T
Torque Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by iskra
I think there are a lot of good rifles out there who show normal service use wear with stocks taking the beating and no longer "pretty". Add hardened recoil pads. The net of non-lookers that offer real value as you seek merely an action. I'd haunt the WTS boards of various gun Forums and put up my own WTB ad being frankly honest about a net "action" in keep the stock & ship the metal context! Also the side note of any action conjured, likely far better 'if' real steel versus alloy bottom metal.
I do fully concur with the desirability of not reinventing the $$$ wheel in sporterizing a military mauser action with costs involved! Same context ad seeking! Pick up one of the many FN Supreme action common sporters with trigger impinging sliding tang adjacent type safety!

As far as the 'exotic' ARC action, my naivete perhaps, but checking out the website below... What a load of 'hype'. That as my central question of the metal used, to me more revealing in lack of specificity. Literally so generalized in such centrally quality-critical context, a Springfield trapdoor could fit such vague specs! The only thing that action appears to do well is fit the definition of "Gismo"! Give me a pre ''64 Model 70 with its receiver, barrel & bolt of 4130 chrome moly steel. Such as basis to be worked up from there!

https://americanrifle.odoo.com/shop/mausingfield-bolt-action-2#attr=196,182,276,262,248

Good luck with your project!
Best!
John

Thank you for the reply. I will do that. I have located a VZ 24, G33 and a Dakota action. I haven't seen a Zastavas action for sale yet. As for the ARC action, I own one and it is a super slick, strong action. It's made from 4340 alloy steel (hardened to Rockwell 53c). I was intrigued by the combination of the best features of the Mauser and Springfield combined with a Remington 700 foot print (for accessory compatability). The lug design made sense to me and the Savage barrel threads did too. I have been very satisfied with mine. It is a 6.5x55 SKAN. It is more expensive than what I'd like, but it is a good action. Another big plus is that the owner is very accessible and will answer any questions you have.

George Orwell
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mr. Torque: In your initial post, you stated a "mauser type" action. Different folks interpret "mauser type" differently. Some think ONLY 98 Mauser design, but others think other actions that include many/most of the mauser features such as controlled feed with mauser extractor, striker blocking safety, inertia ejector, etc. etc. As others have said, if you are open to the other actions that have those features, such as pre-64 M70, etc. then that COULD simplify your issue. The old gun-writer Jim Carmichel from Outdoor Life once stated in one of his books that when it comes to building a true classically styled custom rifle that it is "false economy" to use any other action than a pre-64 M70. They have most all of the features that a re-worked mauser will end up having: different expensive safety, another bolt handle, trigger, hinged floorplate, and the list goes on and on. The same can be said of the Dakota (now parkwest) 76 actions. As others have said, re-doing a mauser to have all the features mentioned is VERY costly. You can still buy a pre-64 entire rifle for somewhere around $700. or a bit more and go from there. So just something else to consider. Good luck.

T
Torque Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
Mr. Torque: In your initial post, you stated a "mauser type" action. Different folks interpret "mauser type" differently. Some think ONLY 98 Mauser design, but others think other actions that include many/most of the mauser features such as controlled feed with mauser extractor, striker blocking safety, inertia ejector, etc. etc. As others have said, if you are open to the other actions that have those features, such as pre-64 M70, etc. then that COULD simplify your issue. The old gun-writer Jim Carmichel from Outdoor Life once stated in one of his books that when it comes to building a true classically styled custom rifle that it is "false economy" to use any other action than a pre-64 M70. They have most all of the features that a re-worked mauser will end up having: different expensive safety, another bolt handle, trigger, hinged floorplate, and the list goes on and on. The same can be said of the Dakota (now parkwest) 76 actions. As others have said, re-doing a mauser to have all the features mentioned is VERY costly. You can still buy a pre-64 entire rifle for somewhere around $700. or a bit more and go from there. So just something else to consider. Good luck.

I see. I need to clarify that I am open to anything Mauser-ish, lol. I was hoping there were some Mauser 98 Variants that would have updated features that eliminated the very few short comings, like the wing safety and the action screw placement (subjective view point) of the Mauser. The M70 and Dakota do make for some good options.

George Orwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you have access to a Dakota 76 at a reasonable price, I'd jump on that real quick like & never look back.

Other that a couple of really slicked up pre-64's the one I had was the best action I ever own from both a functional standpoint as well as esthetics.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm just starting on a 1976 vintage Interarms MarkX in 30-06. Over all, I'm pleasantly surprised with the workmanship. I found it in the 'Used' rack at a local shop. It's been shot little and cleaned even less. wink After a good work out with Wipe Out and JB, the bore, rifling, chamber and throat look like new.

For a true Mauser baseline, you could do a lot worse.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,742 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,906
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.