Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Never realized you could get an Auto 5 at 5 pounds 11 ounces. Nice!!!!

Last edited by battue; 02/25/24.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by battue
So if the shooting style called for more drop, then were they anchoring more of their chin than the cheek bone? It would seem they had to be....or they would be looking directly into the wall.

Many things today are different than "back in history", reason being better options.

Oh, Gawd no. In the "old days" the head was held slightly more upright rather than pushed down and forward on the comb. Rather than being tight to the cheekbone as many use today, the comb is in light contact with the cheekbone. We ain't talking a 4" difference in drop and that "wall" is not any more visible than the rear of more modern designs. I won't be relying on an A-5 for serious competition but I likely won't be using an auto of any kind either.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I'm a sucker for anything in a 20 gauge and browning only sweetens the deal. One of my favorites I own currently 20 gauge b-2000
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Hook and Book, Shoot and Scoot
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Never realized you could get an Auto 5 at 5 pounds 11 ounces. Nice!!!!

Me either! I posted a WTB ad here a few years ago and a member from MN sent me pictures of this gun. It was on a consignment rack and I got it for a steal.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Not sure what that abomination is but it is no A5. Nothing sounds like a real 75 year old A5 when you cycle her. Round knob only please.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorite bird gun ,1963 A5 20 ga. round knob 26" improved cylinder with rib. It points for me like pointing my finger. Same age as me and I grab it for every wing shooting outing.
I have 2 Light twelves that are great guns but safe queens.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
P
Online Content
P
For 2000 dollars I think there are better options for 20 gauge autos. I own two of the new A5 16 gauges. One gun has been flawless , the other gun's POI is a foot high and a foot to the left. Seems to be a barrel problem as different chokes make no difference. Speaking of choke tubes, the modified measures IC and the full measures extra full. Niether gun has ever had a malfuction. Friend of mine has a 12 gauge that is having speed load and feeding problems. The A5 is ok if you want a 16 gauge that weights the same as the 20 gauge but there are better guns for the money.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
so, how did hunters manage the heavier guns back in the day?
oh, I forgot, men were men back then. lol.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
bobski

"How did hunters manage the heavier guns back in the day". A very good question, short answer is because they had to. Back in the day hunters didn't have mid beads, interchangeable choke tubes, rust proof finishes, synthetic stocks, sling swivels. They got by. The British made 12 bores at 6.5 pounds, maybe somewhere along the way we got side tracked on what hunters wanted to push through a brier patch all day.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Addendum

Looking at an Arrietta 20 bore SXS, this Spanish lady caught my attention. Sent a text to my hunting buddy and his reply was that it looked nice but didn't see me using it afield. Point well taken, pass the 26" 20 gauge pump and hold the fluff, practicality rules on a cloudy, rainy day when the wind blows.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bobski

And they thought you couldn’t do better than a Buick station wagon for a hunting vehicle. 🤔

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will stay with my Belgian round knob Light 20.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Browning needs to make this with a synthetic stock for waterfowl hunting.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by bobski

And they thought you couldn’t do better than a Buick station wagon for a hunting vehicle. 🤔

I fondly remember those days, although ours was an Olds Vista Cruiser. Grain shovel & coveralls in the back, didn't get stuck much as whitetail season was only 5 days(in Dec) back then & we usually had to cross a bean field & sometimes a cut corn field to get to the wood line where the timber & river were below the pasture. Good times

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, at one time a big station wagon was the cat's meow for a Bird Dog hunter. My fond memories....fond????....was a Volkswagen Super Beetle. With a set of real winter tires it was amazing in snow. Dog would hang out in the back or sleep on the front floor on the way home. Deer were an issue, but I usually went with a friend and we used their trunk.

Went Coon hunting one night with a local Coon hunting hero. Can't remember his vehicle, but do remember four Coon Dogs in the back seat. Occasionally they would get a little pissy with each other, which made for an interesting ride.

Last edited by battue; 03/04/24.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,590
Posts18,492,128
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.