Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by drop_point
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Not great pictures but this is what I could find for now. The stock on the left is a Hunters Edge, the right one is a Classic. As you can see the Classic looks huge when side by side but its not really that bad when you handle them. I think that a Classic with up to a #3 contour barrel up to maybe 23" inches finished is a darn good combo for a hunting rifle.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Thanks this is good info. I assume that far right plastic stock is an SPS stock?

I think Edge-fill classic is where I want to be.
It is, can't recall why I included that but think someone asked in a prior thread to show the difference.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I have an Edge with a Win M-70 24" Sporter BA in it but I don't know how that contour compares to a Shilen #3.

But McM says that stock will take a Douglas #3, so you could look up that contour on their website & compare it.

A 22" barrel will definitely balance that stock a little better than does my 24" but you will still have the weight firmly in your left hand if you like that.

Mine is an older stock with a half inch Decelerator pad & it weighs 21 oz, but the newer ones might be heavier, especially with a 1" pad.

Rather than Classic, I like the Remington Sporter better & the Sako Classic even better yet if they will inlet for a Rem 700..........McM of today is not the McM of the past.

Actually, other than the grip being a little thicker than I really like the lines & feel of the B&C Mountain stocks for a lot less money, are very good but not sure how big a barrel those will take as mine have MR contours but I'm pretty sure it could be made to fit a #3 with a little careful work.

As for paint being tough, McM is very tough & B&C is tough enough.

You also might want to look at AG Composites as they are making some great stocks like the Bergara Premier Mountain 2.0.

If you want any pics, let me know.

MM

I’ve had a few Sako Classics on Tikkas. Really liked that pattern myself.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by drop_point
Not great pictures but this is what I could find for now. The stock on the left is a Hunters Edge, the right one is a Classic. As you can see the Classic looks huge when side by side but its not really that bad when you handle them. I think that a Classic with up to a #3 contour barrel up to maybe 23" inches finished is a darn good combo for a hunting rifle.

Thanks this is good info. I assume that far right plastic stock is an SPS stock?

I think Edge-fill classic is where I want to be.
It is, can't recall why I included that but think someone asked in a prior thread to show the difference.

It is helpful,glad it is there.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I picked up a new second-hand Hunter’s Edge for a factory Remington 700. It’s a short—action 24” barrel. The stock is light as air, and the 24” barrel is a bit front heavy. I like the size and shape, but it makes me want to chop 2-3” off the barrel. I think the choice of the classic for the 22” long action is perfect.

Last edited by drop_point; 01/23/24.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 17 invisible), 1,881 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,894
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.